REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #101
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
I've always wanted to ask a server who works at Earls'/Cactus Club/Milestone-type restaurants how they calculate the tip share given to the hostess, bartender, and kitchen staff at the end of the night.

Only reason being I worked BOH, in the kitchen, and I've always felt that we got shafted in terms of tips for the amount of work we did.
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2012, 09:14 PM   #102
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I've always wanted to ask a server who works at Earls'/Cactus Club/Milestone-type restaurants how they calculate the tip share given to the hostess, bartender, and kitchen staff at the end of the night.

Only reason being I worked BOH, in the kitchen, and I've always felt that we got shafted in terms of tips for the amount of work we did.
They tip out to the restaurant, then the manager divides it up. LOTS of owners take tips, its pretty bullshit. 6% is usually the standard for tip outs.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #103
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
8% goes out to the BOH and 2% to the bartender at cactus club....atleast the one i worked at worked out that way. The managers would get tip outs only if they were covering a shift for a server. i was a Expoditor which was a really stressful and painful position and i wouldnt get a tip out, i did 85 percent of a servers job with 10x more stress.

i dont think cactus clubs have "owners", they have investors basically, they out their share of the money in and then sit back and watch the money come in.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #104

Yeah I wasn't specifically talking about cactus, just restaurants in general. Glowbal had that huge scandal a few months ago. Thats a crazy high tip out.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 AM   #105
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
I highly doubt food prices will skyrocket if people, theoretically, stop tipping. I'd see it as a great incentive for restaurants to trim the fat on staff, improve kitchen efficiencies and provide a better environment and wage for new staff.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #106
nns

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
The 6-8%, is that a percentage of their total sales or total tips that shift?

Seriously, does anyone else who has worked BOH feel it's leaving the kitchen guys seriously shorted? The way I see it, the kitchen guys have to fulfill all the dumb requests from the customer, under the heat and the pressure. They're the guys staying past 2 AM cleaning up the kitchen, taking out the garbage, often with no break. The server takes the order, comes around every 20 mins or so to see if the table is doing OK. Am I missing something? Why do servers get more than 3/4 of the tip?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #107
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

No tip for take out. I've seen debit/credit machines asking if I wanted to tip when taking out, I think it's retarded
I tip up to 10% when eating in. Tip is not mandatory, they have to earn it.

I had this tipping discussion numerous times with friends.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #108
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #109
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

From my experience working the dish pits and then working as a food prep for Moxie's in Ottawa back when I was in gr11, I have always just gotten $50 every end of the month from tips. I was told tips were 60% for servers/busers/bartenders and 40% for the kitchen staff when I was there. Now I'm not quite sure how they divide it among the kitchen staff. Maybe the head cook gets more than the dishwashers etc. So to answer your question, then yes. The kitchen staff probably gets less than the people at the front lines.

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #110

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
tipping come on im chinese i dun tip at all

ok lets serious, my dad was server during his college days in states so thats how i was raise to tip for decent service & thats how i roll, but here in china its like if u see a dude tip its like seeing rainbow after days of raining

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #111
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

lets make a "no tipping movement"

if tipping not the law, what will happen if I eat at cactus club level restaurant and pay no tip? or give $2 tip?
will the manager give you trouble?
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #112
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
There are lots of things that are societal, but we still do them. Being societal doesn't automatically mean unnecessary. Driving for example is very different in other countries, but that doesn't mean that I should drive as if I'm in Italy when I'm in BC, even if it's legal.

You can't compare Canada or the US to Japan because the wages are built around the assumed percentage of tip; whether you agree with that or not is a different story.
In the US, at least when I lived there, there was a separate minimum wage paid to servers because tips are the norm and are part of the workers calculated wage. So you can't just cheap out on tipping because they don't tip half way around the world, grow some perspective.

Should tipping be abolished? Yeah, I would love to see that, but wages would have to be adjusted as well.

If the service is crap, sure, don't tip, but to go on a personal non-tipping or low-tipping crusade because they 'dont tip in Japan' is just stupid. I'm not saying you need to tip 20% everywhere you go, but like many other societal things, if you don't like tipping, move elsewhere.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #113
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Here's my question to all of you. Would you just pay this 'tip' considering you were just given absolutely dreadful service, or would you just pay the bill and leave your own tip?
Usually on those groupons, they say Tip isnt factored into the price. Usually when i eat out with those groupons the service isnt ever that great but ill tip them anyways just because Groupon + Tip is still cheaper than eating out regularly.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #114

Quote:
The 6-8%, is that a percentage of their total sales or total tips that shift?

Seriously, does anyone else who has worked BOH feel it's leaving the kitchen guys seriously shorted? The way I see it, the kitchen guys have to fulfill all the dumb requests from the customer, under the heat and the pressure. They're the guys staying past 2 AM cleaning up the kitchen, taking out the garbage, often with no break. The server takes the order, comes around every 20 mins or so to see if the table is doing OK. Am I missing something? Why do servers get more than 3/4 of the tip?
Its total sales. If it was based on tips there would be a lot of lying by lots of people. In the end, servers don't make much more than cooks if at all, but they do it in less time. My tips end up being 4-500 extra bucks a month which is nothing compared to servers, but I also get a real pay check. There are a lot of dumb servers out there, but those aren't the ones taking home good money (unless they are a 10), the servers that work their asses off and actually work real shifts are the ones that can make a living off of it.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #115
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
At Whitespot it's %2 of their cashouts for the day

Ie if they sold for 1000, they'd be tipping out 20 bucks for the kitchen to split
Posted via RS Mobile
cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #116
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjoint View Post
No tip for take out. I've seen debit/credit machines asking if I wanted to tip when taking out, I think it's retarded
I tip up to 10% when eating in. Tip is not mandatory, they have to earn it.

I had this tipping discussion numerous times with friends.
You shouldn't get bent out of shape when you see the machine asking for a tip when you're doing take out. I've always assumed that in restaurants, they're programmed to show that menu every time, and it's not the employee working it choosing to show you that menu or not. I would just brush it off.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #117
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Friend had a Groupon for The Libra Room that was a 3 course meal for two. He got there with his gf around 7pm, and they they didn't even leave until 1030. Service was absolutely horrible and slow as shit. He got the bill and they had charged him a mandatory 17% tip. He asked the waiter about it and waiter said, "Yeah, we charge a 17% tip because you have a Groupon." There was no mention of a mandatory tip in the fine print of the Groupon.

Here's my question to all of you. Would you just pay this 'tip' considering you were just given absolutely dreadful service, or would you just pay the bill and leave your own tip?
That's a load of crap.

I bet if you raised a stink, there is no way they can enforce that 17% tip.

I remember reading something about how if there is fixed gratuity, it has to be plainly stated on the menu, or in this case the voucher.

I would send a complaint to Groupon and see what they have to say about it.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by valent|n0 View Post
lets make a "no tipping movement"

if tipping not the law, what will happen if I eat at cactus club level restaurant and pay no tip? or give $2 tip?
will the manager give you trouble?
Well I hope not lol. My girlfriend and I had dinner at Cactus Club at the Byrne Rd location and the service was terrible. Our server sat us down and never seen her again until I went to the kitchen area to order. Food took forever to come and our server never even came back to see if we needed anything else. They weren't even busy at all. Anyways after our meal, I went up to the counter to pay. The girl just gave me attitude for not leaving any tip.

my crapbucket

*ding* *ding* *ding* ...breast milk...you make my day-ee-yay!
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #119

I only tip whatever small coins are left after paying. I will keep all loonies and toonies so it's always less than $1
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #120
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
You shouldn't get bent out of shape when you see the machine asking for a tip when you're doing take out. I've always assumed that in restaurants, they're programmed to show that menu every time, and it's not the employee working it choosing to show you that menu or not. I would just brush it off.
haha I don't get bent out of shape. I'm just noticing it more when I go to restaurants.
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #121
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I never tip on take out, there's no justified reason for it. When I eat in I always base my tip on the total bill, i've heard other people say they tip on the "pre-tax" total. What's the norm?
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #122
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 302 Posts
I usually just leave the small bits of change when taking out, keeping all the loonies and toonies for myself. As for dining in, I calculate the tip based on the "pre-tax" total by 10-15% depending on the type of restaurant

Anyone ever been to Japan? I heard that it's considered a rude gesture to tip there
tomatogunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #123
My homepage has been set to RS

in boston pizza, for credit card purchases boh got 15-20% and the front staff keep the rest. For deliveries in cash the delivery guys kept it all. For in-store cash purchases i always assumed it wasn't divided up either but i guess i'm probably wrong and it was also like 15-20%

this was like 8 years ago tho
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #124
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Friend had a Groupon for The Libra Room that was a 3 course meal for two. He got there with his gf around 7pm, and they they didn't even leave until 1030. Service was absolutely horrible and slow as shit. He got the bill and they had charged him a mandatory 17% tip. He asked the waiter about it and waiter said, "Yeah, we charge a 17% tip because you have a Groupon." There was no mention of a mandatory tip in the fine print of the Groupon.

You should report them to Groupon. From what I recall, most Groupons just ask you to tip on the bill before the groupon discount.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #125
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Im so glad most of you agree with me on this,

i fucking HATE tipping, and the whole notion of tipping fucking disgusts me.

My sister is a server and we argue about it all the time, and she is one of those people that gets pissed off when people leave a shitty tip.

You dumb ungratefull bitch,

My argument is, tip is not mandatory, you need to earn it, if you dont like it, get another fucking job.

Her argument is, the reason its required is because the bosses of the restaurant take away a % of all their sales, so if no one tips, she has to pay the rest of the staff out of her own pocket.

My argument is, would you rather me not come into the restaurant at all? you wanna make minimum wage? or lose your job and make nothing because there arent any customers.

that being said, I dont eat out at restaurants anymore, never, I refuse to tip, and I dont tip anyone for anything.

Why in gods fuckin name do we have to tip people in canada?

do your god damned job, if you dont like it, go to school and change career paths, just because your a dumb shit that cant go to school, doesnt mean I need to subsidise my wages to pay your rent, the wages I got through going to school.

and the fact that its expected, drives me insane.

I think we need to do an RS meet, where we all go to a restaurant, order tons of food, and leave NO TIP.

I just wanna see wtf they would do, what can they do? will we all be branded as cheapskates? or banned from the restaurant? I would love to get into an argument with a restaurant manager about the topic.

oh we didnt tip? maybe you should pay your servers more instead of passign on the cost to the customer.

whos got the balls to do this with me?

or,

even if we got 20 some people, and we just walked around to different restaurants, and we simply just tell them that there are 20 of us, we would like to eat here, but we wont leave any tip. I wonder how many restaurants would turn us away at the door? and how many would still let us eat there.

Last edited by Glove; 09-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: