REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #51
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
The only take out place i really tip on take out is a little hole in the wall burger joint here in New West (free shout out to Burger Burger in NW!) When we go in, she knows us, knows our regular order(including my drink) and the specific changes that my gf insists on making at any restaurant that we go to.

That to me is worth a tip, as that to me is fantastic service. And its genuine.
Advertisement

Last edited by Gridlock; 09-08-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #52
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Tips are built into the wage standards of North American servers and kitchen workers, though. I assume in Japan the wage standards are higher to reflect the lack of tipping, and that is in turn reflected in restaurant prices?
I don't think so. I've never heard of highly (or adequately) paid waitresses there or delivery guys. Sure it's more expensive to eat out in Tokyo, but that's not because their waitresses, cooks, bus boys and restaurant hosts are all highly paid; I assume it's just in general the cost of operation, ie rent, hydro, etc are all much higher than here.

Why I think despite having superior service they REFUSE (and I mean it, give them a tip and they will refuse it) the culture of tipping... see my response to Graeme below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
No. And it bothers me when servers insist that they deserve their tips.

A few months ago there was a thing in The Sun that said that British Columbians are the lowest tippers in the country, and did this little survey of servers on whether or not they thought they were getting tipped appropriately (in their minds). They said no.

The kicker? The average getting tipped was between 16 and 17%.

Now, don't get me wrong. You work hard for me, you're extra friendly and make my dining experience good and I'm more than happy to tip you well (up to 20% depending on how busy it is and how picky/needy we are). On the other hand, if you offer average service in a restaurant that's not that busy and you're not that attentive? Don't be surprised if you get 5%.

A tip is a tip. it's a bonus. It's a kindness I am providing to you for working so hard for me, above and beyond what your boss may normally expect.

If you're giving me takeout and you expect a tip for bagging and boxing what I called in to order 20 minutes ago? I think not.

And for the record, I used to work as a busser. And yes, I do leave my change every now and again in the starbucks tip jars, but not usually. But that's mostly 'cause I use my starbucks card.

See that's the thing though. I wouldn't even want to tip even in that context. Serving you with a smile, generally asking once in a while if there's anything else she can get for you, bringing your food in a timely manner, that's all their job description.

That means that when I'm paying $10 - $20 per dish, that's exactly what I expect of them. I don't get paid extra at my work because I do exactly as my superiors or clients expect of me.

Taking your example in mind, by going above and beyond a waitress' duties and expectations is probably like... giving me a foot massage or singing with a mariachi band by my table. Yeah, I'd probably give her another $5 - $10 (if she's hot).

The thing is, before it becomes an argument of who's ballin and who's a cheapskate, it's not about being ballin' anymore. It's just about being smart with your money - and knowing where each dollar in your bank account goes to; and in this economical climate and standard living costs in the GVRD, you kinda almost have to be smart (or mindful) of every dollar you have.

It's about valuating your money and the goods and services you expect in exchange for it. It's about determining what's expected, and what's above-and-beyond.

Yes, stereotypically we view rich guys as flaunters, but in reality, there's a reason why rich guys CAN be your biggest cheapskates. <-- seriously, no jokes.

Last edited by Noir; 09-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #53
Cant Stop Modding Fat Cars w/ Cheap Pasts!

Thanked 9,761 Times in 3,530 Posts
this is so odd.. where are all the servers bitching about how we're scumbags and need to pay them extra to raise their babies and how the paltry tip we leave them gets split among hard working staff
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #54
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I've noticed that when I pay debit at Nando's, more often than not, that tip question pops up. I used to tip, out of guilt, but not anymore. It's ridiculous to tip for good food and/or service when I haven't even seen my food - let alone, have a bite of it.
On rare occasions I go to Oodle Noode for lunch with work people. The debit machine doesn't even ask if you want to tip, it asks if you want to tip 15%.

When picking up food I don't tip, only when eating at a restaurant.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #55
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 23,386 Times in 4,865 Posts
I will tip if the service warrants it. Like with a friendly attitude. Its much less than I would at a regular restaurant. Also, related to another topic in this thread, places where tipping isn't traditional have much higher wages for servers and cooks. In australia skilled cooks (not chefs/other management positions) Make like 25 to 30 bucks an hour on average.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #56
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,776 Times in 954 Posts
i tip bitches at red robins 14 cents

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #57
I bringith the lowerballerith

I guess culture difference plays a big role but I really don't get the idea of tipping. Especially at everyday(college student budget) restaurants like pho, pasta houses, japanese food, etc.

Although I do tip whenever I eat, even pho, it seems like im giving them money to do their job. Once in a while, I will see a server that has taken an extra step to make my experience better but other than that, i feel that tip is not justified.

I truly believe that their 9-10$ pay covers the initial ordering, water, napkin, and bringing food out. A job entails basic duties and as a server, those should be their duties, not an action that i should be tipping them for. Especially if im not drinking.

I guess my opinion is really biased since I only frequent asian restaurants and fairly "cheap" (like pho or common sushi places) eats. Also because compared to Korea, where tips dont really exist unless its already calculated in the gratitude pay of receipt (usually hotel restaurants), the level of service provided is just crap.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #58
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

Worst tipping experience at Bubble World on Kingsway.

I was there with a friend who was visiting from Toronto, and she hasn't had Taiwanese snacks in awhile so we went to the Kingsway location.
Ordered a shitload of food with drinks.

Service was godawful considering there were only 2 other tables there.
We had the hardest time getting our server's attention because she was too busy chatting it up with her coworkers. The orders were wrong and they blamed it on us.

My chinese is very limited so I only know how to order certain dishes. The name of the dishes that came weren't even legible to me; the server blamed me for ordering the wrong items and wanting to change them afterwards.

In the end when the bill came, it had poorly hand written math calculations telling me what I owe her in tips (15%).

I left her $0.01 for her tip.

I cannot comprehend how some people would have such a poor self deserving attitude to tell me how much I should tip them.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #59
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
you guys ever been to a restaurant that incorporates tips into the bill & calls it a "service charge" ...
"uhh excuse me but where did this come from"
"oh that's the service charge so you don't have to leave tips"
""
Old 09-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #60
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,283 Times in 196 Posts
I remember eating at e-canteen a few years ago before it was replaced by that new place. Me and a few friends of mine were paying up front after eating, and I remember one of them forgot to tip. I had the impression that the lady handling our money was greedy as fuck she asked him in aggressive cantonese: "Did you not remember to tip??" We were almost halfway down the stairs! He tipped her like 50 cents In most cases I only tip eating in.
Posted via RS Mobile
AW607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #61
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 8,099 Times in 3,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Tips are built into the wage standards of North American servers and kitchen workers, though. I assume in Japan the wage standards are higher to reflect the lack of tipping, and that is in turn reflected in restaurant prices?
nope, just simply standards in society/cultural norms.

I know there's been like 5000 tipping threads on RS alone and every one of them gets the resevoir dog scene posted.

The whole tipping idea is flawed but I still do it. Do you tip only because they make min wage in the service industry? If so then why servers but not workers in a fast food joint?

Why hair salon but not massage therapist? Why cab drivers? shit the list goes on

BST feedback
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #62
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyx View Post
When you pick the percentage option it will tip on the overall bill so it's kind of a "scam". I'm just sure it's all in the programming or something. Pick the $ option instead and choose your own amount or if you pick the % option just put in a lower number to compensate.
mathematically speaking, the % of a 10% tip pre-tax is 8.333333333~%, assuming tax is 12%

as for tipping when taking out, i usually leave any coins if they are below a quarter if i paid with cash. If i pay by plastic, then 0 tip.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #63
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

I've been starting to tip more recently, however I think I'm going to cut it down from now on. I've found that even though I tip more and more, going to the regular places, their service and attitude gets progressively worse.

I feel like I'm fueling their self deserving shit attitudes.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #64
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
hell no... i dont tip for picking up my food
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #65
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

10% pre tax maximum. Zero for take out
Posted via RS Mobile
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #66
BIG
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post

Although I do tip whenever I eat, even pho, it seems like im giving them money to do their job.
This is a good point.

For me, I am asian, but because I was born here, I was raised with the thinking that tipping was standard practice. However the funny thing is, it's not the case when we go to chinese restaurants. My family has always told me that the tips they give are always small. I never asked why.
BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I do love when this comes up on tv shows(like daytime talk and news filler) and the described "expert" ALWAYS mention that even if the service is bad, you should still tip.

Um. No.

You do well, and treat me well, and I'll tip well. I'm not going to tip you for shit service.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #68
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
fuck no, i don't tip when ordering out/picking up food.

for the most part, i tip about 10% when eating in. i'm lazy so usually i'll just tip roughly the same as the HST lol. like most people here, i don't feel the need to tip for the basic service i'm getting. feels stupid to essentially pay extra for you to do your REQUIRED job/duties.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #69
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
NEGATRON .
Posted via RS Mobile
knight604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #70
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,174 Times in 1,378 Posts
I support 10% tips only if it get taxed like other tax payers. Totally not fair some waiters get paid 3g a month, but paying minimum wage tax.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #71
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I've noticed that when I pay debit at Nando's, more often than not, that tip question pops up. I used to tip, out of guilt, but not anymore. It's ridiculous to tip for good food and/or service when I haven't even seen my food - let alone, have a bite of it.
Nando's is a little different imo. If you plan on staying there to eat, I tip. If I just take it to go, I won't tip.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #72
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
In My Humble Opinion

We're paying tips so restaurants can save on labor costs. Scrap the whole fucking 10% mandatory tip shit and bump up restaurant wages. Sure, smaller restaurants will suffer but then again its either they suffer or we suffer. Fucking sick of giving goddam 10% to shitty service.

It should be like the tip cans you see at like coffee stands. Tip if you feel like tipping.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #73
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Tipping is a shady business practise that should be abolished.

Customers are 'supposed' to tip 15 percent.. And I'll bet the majority of waiters don't claim more than half theor tips, if that, to revenue Canada. I know, cause I've worked in the restaurant biz for a few years.

To be honest, I'd rather tip the kitchen for cooking a steak above par, than the person bringing me my food. Smile all you want, for all I care. I'm there to enjoy the food - not for 'great' service. I mean really, if a waiter is so miserable, and takes forever to bring my food, I probably won't eat there again. They should be busting their balls to keep customers returning.. Otherwise lose their job.

And, on the rare occasion you DO get good service, I'd be more than happy to tip. But, when a tip is expected, what kinda tip is that?

To answer the original question - no, I don't tip for takeout. Nor do I tip for those places where you order at the counter, and then get seated.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #74
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I am glad to see many feel the same about tipping

unless you are a really good with people skill and can start a conversation where the customer can really enjoy then they deserve tips
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #75
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Nando's is a little different imo. If you plan on staying there to eat, I tip. If I just take it to go, I won't tip.
But you pay for your food BEFORE you sit down and eat.....Thus, you are being asked if you want to tip BEFORE you've received any service........doesn't make sense....what are you tipping for?
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote