REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #126
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
z3german's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,112
Thanked 882 Times in 282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
There are lots of things that are societal, but we still do them. Being societal doesn't automatically mean unnecessary. Driving for example is very different in other countries, but that doesn't mean that I should drive as if I'm in Italy when I'm in BC, even if it's legal.

You can't compare Canada or the US to Japan because the wages are built around the assumed percentage of tip; whether you agree with that or not is a different story.
In the US, at least when I lived there, there was a separate minimum wage paid to servers because tips are the norm and are part of the workers calculated wage. So you can't just cheap out on tipping because they don't tip half way around the world, grow some perspective.

Should tipping be abolished? Yeah, I would love to see that, but wages would have to be adjusted as well.

If the service is crap, sure, don't tip, but to go on a personal non-tipping or low-tipping crusade because they 'dont tip in Japan' is just stupid. I'm not saying you need to tip 20% everywhere you go, but like many other societal things, if you don't like tipping, move elsewhere.
If we are comparing to the US then I will say yes tipping is mandatory because they get stiffed harsh on the minimum wage difference.

But Canada as long as they do not serve alcohol they get payed the regular min wage, so your argument is only valid for those serving alcohol. Mcdonalds get paid min with no tips, so if Moxie's does the same then no one would want to work there, which forces them to pay the servers more which will entice more workers and allow businesses to be more picky about who they hire, and provide better training than they do now. Servers then dont have to rely on customers for their extra money because the employers would have given them a better hourly wage because if they didnt they may as well be working at mcdonalds. Servers not relying on customers for tips is very important IMO because my gf is a server and I know she gives good service, if anything and at worse it is average, and yet there are the odd customers that stiff her on tips which is a load of BS for the server. Tips should be abolished...

I would love to fight for a no tip movement and that movement will only work if everyone gets paid min regardless of alcohol or not.

If we had a giant community I would definitely join the no tip movement. If I do order alcohol I will tip a buck a drink, but for food hell no.
Advertisement
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #127
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 490
Thanked 101 Times in 58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
I don't think so. I've never heard of highly (or adequately) paid waitresses there or delivery guys. Sure it's more expensive to eat out in Tokyo, but that's not because their waitresses, cooks, bus boys and restaurant hosts are all highly paid; I assume it's just in general the cost of operation, ie rent, hydro, etc are all much higher than here.

Why I think despite having superior service they REFUSE (and I mean it, give them a tip and they will refuse it) the culture of tipping... see my response to Graeme below.







See that's the thing though. I wouldn't even want to tip even in that context. Serving you with a smile, generally asking once in a while if there's anything else she can get for you, bringing your food in a timely manner, that's all their job description.

That means that when I'm paying $10 - $20 per dish, that's exactly what I expect of them. I don't get paid extra at my work because I do exactly as my superiors or clients expect of me.

Taking your example in mind, by going above and beyond a waitress' duties and expectations is probably like... giving me a foot massage or singing with a mariachi band by my table. Yeah, I'd probably give her another $5 - $10 (if she's hot).





The thing is, before it becomes an argument of who's ballin and who's a cheapskate, it's not about being ballin' anymore. It's just about being smart with your money - and knowing where each dollar in your bank account goes to; and in this economical climate and standard living costs in the GVRD, you kinda almost have to be smart (or mindful) of every dollar you have.

It's about valuating your money and the goods and services you expect in exchange for it. It's about determining what's expected, and what's above-and-beyond.

Yes, stereotypically we view rich guys as flaunters, but in reality, there's a reason why rich guys CAN be your biggest cheapskates. <-- seriously, no jokes.
If you feel tipping at a restaurant for above and beyond service is inappropriate then do you also feel year end bonuses at a financial institution for a job well done is equally inappropriate? What about commission based pay? Why should the Best Buy guy try so hard to sell the $200 printer when the $20 printer is suffice. Mortgage brokers? Car salesman? Why should the guy who has the highest sales of his colleagues be rewarded extra? He is just doing his job.

Last edited by Shades; 09-10-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #128
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
RiceIntegraRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,367
Thanked 756 Times in 289 Posts
I think waitresses and waiters are the only people out there that complain about their wage who dont even require a High School Diploma
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #129
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
z3german's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,112
Thanked 882 Times in 282 Posts
above and beyond i will tip even in a non tipping culture, but it really has to be above and beyond, and i think most of the argument here is based on the fact that we and most establishments have the idea that a 10% is minimum.

All the examples you listed the difference is that the extra cash money is paid by the company as a "damn you did good, heres your bonus/commission" which would not be necessary in a restaurant business, but if we were a non tipping culture a restaurant can have one bonus go to one stellar server as a sort of competition within the company.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #130
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Spoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: VAN/RMD/BBY
Posts: 2,419
Thanked 920 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
If you feel tipping at a restaurant for above and beyond service is inappropriate then do you also feel year end bonuses at a financial institution for a job well done is equally inappropriate? What about commission based pay? Why should the Best Buy guy try so hard to sell the $200 printer when the $20 printer is suffice. Mortgage brokers? Car salesman? Why should the guy who has the highest sales of his colleagues be rewarded extra? He is just doing his job.
Because sales people in Best Buy, dealerships etc. are NOT guaranteed a sale. When a customer sits down at a restaurant, the server already guaranteed themselves a sale without doing a bloody thing.
__________________
My Buyer/Seller Rating
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #131
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,529
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
If you feel tipping at a restaurant for above and beyond service is inappropriate then do you also feel year end bonuses at a financial institution for a job well done is equally inappropriate? What about commission based pay? Why should the Best Buy guy try so hard to sell the $200 printer when the $20 printer is suffice. Mortgage brokers? Car salesman? Why should the guy who has the highest sales of his colleagues be rewarded extra? He is just doing his job.
One is the company paying the employee, the other is a member of the public paying the employee.
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #132
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
 
604STIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,414
Thanked 568 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
What about commission based pay? Why should the Best Buy guy try so hard to sell the $200 printer when the $20 printer is suffice. Mortgage brokers? Car salesman? Why should the guy who has the highest sales of his colleagues be rewarded extra? He is just doing his job.
Your treating "commission" and "tips" as the same thing. They are both completely different. And when you purchase said printer from the salesman @ Best Buy do you tip him after as well? Highly doubt it.

If a server gives me the "above & beyond" treatment then i'm always very generous with my tips. But let's not treat a tip as a commission.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #133
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Its total sales. If it was based on tips there would be a lot of lying by lots of people. In the end, servers don't make much more than cooks if at all, but they do it in less time. My tips end up being 4-500 extra bucks a month which is nothing compared to servers, but I also get a real pay check. There are a lot of dumb servers out there, but those aren't the ones taking home good money (unless they are a 10), the servers that work their asses off and actually work real shifts are the ones that can make a living off of it.
No wonder you're so pro-tipping.

That measly $4-$500 bucks you're complaining about is already making rent for a lot of the students here in the lower mainland just on tips alone; or somebody's brand new car payments.

And what exactly is that extra $4-$500 bonus EVERY month? for doing your job exactly as you're required to?


Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There are some cheap bastards on RS. I can understand low/no tips if the service is shit, and for takeout, but if you have that big of a problem with tipping, you should stay home to eat.
Thanks for calling us cheap bastards. It's that fake graciousness when we tip is the reason why we're mostly anti-tipping; because when we DO tip, you're not really saying "thank you," we all know you're thinking "you better do!"




Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
There are lots of things that are societal, but we still do them. Being societal doesn't automatically mean unnecessary. Driving for example is very different in other countries, but that doesn't mean that I should drive as if I'm in Italy when I'm in BC, even if it's legal.

You can't compare Canada or the US to Japan because the wages are built around the assumed percentage of tip; whether you agree with that or not is a different story.
In the US, at least when I lived there, there was a separate minimum wage paid to servers because tips are the norm and are part of the workers calculated wage. So you can't just cheap out on tipping because they don't tip half way around the world, grow some perspective.

Should tipping be abolished? Yeah, I would love to see that, but wages would have to be adjusted as well.

If the service is crap, sure, don't tip, but to go on a personal non-tipping or low-tipping crusade because they 'dont tip in Japan' is just stupid. I'm not saying you need to tip 20% everywhere you go, but like many other societal things, if you don't like tipping, move elsewhere.

Uh, yes they can be compared. To think that the whole "service industry's" economical equilibrium hinges crucially on the tipping element to support is OUTRIGHTLY stupid.

One thing I've noticed in the many threads I've observed through out the years, is that you servers really have a habit of exaggerating your position.

1) we have a difficult job.
2) we make so little money.
3) if you don't tip us servers, you're food will get priced out and the food and service industry will collapse.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #134
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
Noir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Japan
Posts: 6,745
Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3german View Post
If we are comparing to the US then I will say yes tipping is mandatory because they get stiffed harsh on the minimum wage difference.

But Canada as long as they do not serve alcohol they get payed the regular min wage, so your argument is only valid for those serving alcohol. Mcdonalds get paid min with no tips, so if Moxie's does the same then no one would want to work there, which forces them to pay the servers more which will entice more workers and allow businesses to be more picky about who they hire, and provide better training than they do now. Servers then dont have to rely on customers for their extra money because the employers would have given them a better hourly wage because if they didnt they may as well be working at mcdonalds. Servers not relying on customers for tips is very important IMO because my gf is a server and I know she gives good service, if anything and at worse it is average, and yet there are the odd customers that stiff her on tips which is a load of BS for the server. Tips should be abolished...

I would love to fight for a no tip movement and that movement will only work if everyone gets paid min regardless of alcohol or not.

If we had a giant community I would definitely join the no tip movement. If I do order alcohol I will tip a buck a drink, but for food hell no.

I too would love a no-tip movement and agree with the idea that tips should be reflected on the price of the goods & services being purchased. But then, if you think about it, that's exactly why we have different levels of restaurants.


If you don't care much about your food, and require little-to-no service, that's why we have fast food joints.

If you want a little better food quality and a little service, that's why you pay more and have restaurants that cater to the $15 - $25 range.

Then of course there's restaurants that are around $30 - $50 per dish, and then there's the $50 - $100.



I believe that in the current system we have, the more you pay your meal, the return for quality and customer service should already be a given.

Tips really just is an unneccessary gouge on your pocket. Like what the fuck? am I tipping you in addition to the exhorbitant prices just so you don't spit in my food? That's the extra 10% - 20%?
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #135
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
westopher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North vancouver
Posts: 8,461
Thanked 23,386 Times in 4,865 Posts
Noir nowhere did I complain about my tips. It not near what a sever makes. I didn't say it sucks. I'm plenty happy with the extra money, you are twisting words to make me seem like I'm crying woe is me. 2 is less than 4, that's not a complaint that 2 is low, it's math.
Posted via RS Mobile
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM   #136
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
 
Mr.HappySilp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 10,645
Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,130 Posts
I usually tip 10 to 15% in restaurants but not for take out. Lol if we have to tip on take out then we should tip on fast food too then....

I also tip when I get my hair cut. The cut my hair nice and made it look.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #137
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
bballguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 3,047
Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
The thing that annoys me is that servers EXPECT to be tipped....they try to work hard to give you good service for the sole purpose of getting a good tip....That shit is so fake.

I do my job to the best of my ability, am completely honest with my customers, and go above and beyond to help my customers. Why? I don't get a tip from them at the end of the day....so why do I do it? Because I genuinely give 2 shits about my customers and providing them with my advanced knowledge and the best service I possibly can.

And just for a little side note, I actually have been offered tips - incredible amounts actually, because my customers do see that I genuinely care....I've gone as far as to losing sales for the company I work for in order to give customers proper information, and thus sometimes telling them that they should look in a different direction than with the company I work for....but despite being offered anywhere from $5-$100 in a tip, I have always refused tips and explain to my customers that I am simply doing my job - I don't work for tips.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #138
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
z3german's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,112
Thanked 882 Times in 282 Posts
I was having this discussion with my gf, who is a server, yesterday.

It is weird, you really need to say that in every other industry there are people who do their work to the best of their ability without expectation of tip, for other servers to understand that point. I am guessing that it is clouded by their already ongoing expectation of tips. But is it being bias to think it is the logical, and correct way of thought, as most of us are not servers. But I still feel that it is logical and correct, I was a server before so thats my justification.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #139
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Van Isle
Posts: 7,655
Thanked 443 Times in 188 Posts
Mandatory tipping is insane. If everyone stopped tipping, I'm sure the industry would adapt just fine. I had a great time in Europe this summer, things ran smoothly without tipping.

I tip really well, but I'd rather not.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
who would ban me? lol. Look at my post count.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #140
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
Phozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 895 Times in 313 Posts
There was one time, i put my debit card in the machine, and there was no option for no tipping: was either 10,20,30, or 40% tip.
Also, there is a clear line between someone who DESERVES the tip, and has worked genuinely hard to give you great service, and the ones who just do "good enough".

Thanks for the insight.. you guys offer some awesome advice and will make me think twice about tipping because of guilt next time...
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #141
The Lone Wanderator
 
Graeme S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 12,090
Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
In those situations, if you press 'correct' (the delete key) then you'll usually find it just skips you past that thing. It's one of those unwritten things, like pressing zero (sometimes several times) to directly get an agent when you call and get an automated service.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #142
BIG
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
BIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 221
Thanked 31 Times in 7 Posts
Just went and picked up some food. Didn't tip for the first time, felt weird, but whatever. Came time to open the box and there was no condiments! And I wasn't even asked if I wanted any.

Guess I'm happy I didn't leave a tip
BIG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #143
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
bballguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Home
Posts: 3,047
Thanked 1,587 Times in 631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG View Post
Just went and picked up some food. Didn't tip for the first time, felt weird, but whatever. Came time to open the box and there was no condiments! And I wasn't even asked if I wanted any.

Guess I'm happy I didn't leave a tip
They did it on purpose because they knew you weren't going to....That'll teach you.
bballguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #144
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
geeknerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,113
Thanked 416 Times in 178 Posts
For take outs, it is the same as a mcdonalds drive thru to me. I really dont see any difference and the need for a tip.

Also tipping based on percentage is just fucked up. because i ordered a lobster instead of a trout, im supposed to pay more to my server? lol.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #145
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Glove's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,243
Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
this thread makes me

I aint fuckin tipping no one ever again
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #146
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
124Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 5,541
Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I only do the 10%-15% when I dine in. For take out, I don't tip.
When I worked as a server, I didn't expect people to tip for take out anyway.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #147
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,267
Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Fuck mandatory tipping. If that ever happened I could see service go right in the shitter.

I tip when I get good service. Better the service, better the tip your going to receive.
I've tipped 10 cents before just to prove that the service was shit and that's what you deserved.

I work hard and I'm not about to give a tip to shitty service just "because."
__________________
Quote:
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #148
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Spoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: VAN/RMD/BBY
Posts: 2,419
Thanked 920 Times in 392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Fuck mandatory tipping. If that ever happened I could see service go right in the shitter.
If you're eating in Richmond, you get that already
__________________
My Buyer/Seller Rating
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #149
N8
I STILL don't get it
 
N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Thanked 186 Times in 56 Posts
15-20% dine in depending on food&service quality
5% pickup at a place I haven't been to
10% pickup at a place I like
__________________
1992 Civic DX Hatch [daily]
1997 Integra Type-R [track]
N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #150
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
acurael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: surrey
Posts: 1,231
Thanked 104 Times in 51 Posts
When you guys do tip, do you calculate percentage on the before tax amount of after tax amount?

I think it should be on the before tax amount.
__________________
wuzzthat?
acurael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net