REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-16-2024, 06:48 AM   #30626
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
EvoFire might move to Winnipeg and then we're all screwed
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:06 AM   #30627
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
EvoFire might move to Winnipeg and then we're all screwed
So I'll be closer to you?
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:52 AM   #30628
RS Veteran

We can be neighbours

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-16-2024, 09:21 AM   #30629
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
People really are putting money where their mouths are, and leaving Vancouver.

I'm impressed.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 09:54 AM   #30630
RabidMod

Thanked 1,100 Times in 408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Now I’m sad…. Dukes, rat, 69stylez, gs8, all you hongers who went back to hong hong land. NO ONE ELSE leave okay ?!?!!!! Buncha fuckers. If this keeps going our next RS meat will be in the middle of the country.
12 months later...

Badhobz: "I have news. I've moved to Montreal."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

I'm impressed.
Don't tell me you haven't thought about it. Which areas are on your shortlist?
Old 03-16-2024, 09:58 AM   #30631
RS Veteran

Badhobz = Quebec separatist

Old 03-16-2024, 10:14 AM   #30632
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,755 Times in 701 Posts
Would moving to the states be that much of a shock for everyone?
I've been to Texas a few times and every time it's been great.

I'm pretty immune to racism and discrimination here, is that really bad in the states?

My cousin moved to Florida. He was getting about $80k CAD here, he was head hunted on Linkedin and was offered $120k USD + moving allowance and $5k signing bonus. He said there are no asians out there and he feels out of place there for sure.

The problem he faces now is he wants to come home but the money is too good out there.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #30633
RS Veteran

You would get raped, PeanutButter.

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2024, 10:33 AM   #30634

Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
12 months later...

Badhobz: "I have news. I've moved to Montreal."

Don't tell me you haven't thought about it. Which areas are on your shortlist?
Big time. Canada is tough though, we don't have many options.

Toronto is too busy, Montreal is too French and cold, Calgary/Edmonton...too cold, among other things. Other than cheap housing, nothing about Calgary is sexy, I'd be depressed as hell living in that city.

Outside of leaving the country entirely, Vancouver Island has been the only spot to peak my interest.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 11:25 AM   #30635

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
Montreal is beautiful, food is beautiful, and I've heard a thing or two about their strip clubs for half the price of Van. Just live there in the summer and come back in the winter?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 12:47 PM   #30636
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
Montreal is okay. I wouldn’t change Vancouver for MTR though.
Roads conditions are terrible, traffic is pretty bad as there are only a few ways into the city, and the French-ness is ridiculous.

I couldn’t deal with the Quebec language police and all their horseshit.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 01:45 PM   #30637
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
The problem he faces now is he wants to come home but the money is too good out there.
That's always been the problem with this place isn't it. Can't afford to live here if you work here.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 03:21 PM   #30638
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Just spent 10 days a few weeks ago in Toronto visiting friends, both of which live in the Beaches between Queen Street and the Danforth

Honestly, as much as it pains me to say, Toronto shits on Vancouver for dining and bars. It actually pissed me off how much cooler their area felt compared to East Van, which I feel like are direct comparables. So many awesome little hole in the wall bars and restaurants which simply cannot exist in Vancouver due to the greed of landlords and all the other BS.

It’s kind of the story of Canada though, we never live up to our full potential because of all the other BS.

With that said they both own “semi detached” homes which are 2+ mill now, which we would consider a duplex, so housing isn’t exactly a relief there
Old 03-16-2024, 03:44 PM   #30639

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^ cactus club bro, earls, browns social house bro
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 05:47 PM   #30640
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Well, on the positive side, my realtor found a place that the lady wants to sell to down-size and she was scared to put it on the market because everything sells in 24hrs and she doesn't want to be homeless... so I told her we could do a 120 day possession or even longer if she needs and I'll just rent it back to her, just agreed on a price that was fair and signed everything. No competition. I can even do an inspection (which is next Wednesday) which is impossible to do with a house on market.

There's no empty home tax, no AirBnB limitations... heck there's not even property transfer tax there. Closing costs are < $2k apparently. Probably gonna have to live in both provinces back and forth for awhile... the house is immaculate, she was using like 800 sq ft of the entire 3000 sq ft house. Just want to paint and adjust a few things like light fixtures, the walls are like a biege that I don't particularly like, go white with those and maybe darken up the floors a bit, they're like a maple wood colour right now. Minor things.
Congrats! I lived in calgary for 3 years, I wrote pros/cons about it here. ultimately I returned to YVR. FYI you can get a refund on the PST (maybe luxury tax?) on your supra once you move and register it in Alberta.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 06:39 PM   #30641
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Honestly, as much as it pains me to say, Toronto shits on Vancouver for dining and bars. It actually pissed me off how much cooler their area felt compared to East Van, which I feel like are direct comparables. So many awesome little hole in the wall bars and restaurants which simply cannot exist in Vancouver due to the greed of landlords and all the other BS.
Honestly what I miss about Toronto the most, huge diversity of eating options (and I mean different places to choose from in terms of cuisine, cost, etc. and not 1000x sushi places that are Sushi Garden clones).
Old 03-16-2024, 08:33 PM   #30642
GS8

Thanked 7,283 Times in 1,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
I’m going to sincerely miss you two. You fuckers better still come on RS. And I’ll need both your addresses for eruhhh “tax purposes”.

I got news of my own too !!!

I farted. ThatÂ’s all.

Now IÂ’m sadÂ…. Dukes, rat, 69stylez, gs8, all you hongers who went back to hong hong land. NO ONE ELSE leave okay ?!?!!!! Buncha fuckers. If this keeps going our next RS meat will be in the middle of the country.
Quote:

I'm impressed.
I'm not moving right right away. I'm still making pretty good bank in Vancouver but not enough to buy in Vancouver

I actually started considering an OOP purchase a year ago but started on reddit threads, researching what compels people to make such big moves. Largely it was access to property purchasing, space to raise a family and / or lower costs of livings. Some people took lower paying jobs because the lower living costs offset that.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer pays off his debts, quits his job at the Nuclear Plant and goes to work his dream job at the bowling alley.

After spending so much time in Alberta, speaking to people, I discovered that many people there are just like us here in BC. It's usually the stereotypes that end up in the spotlight, because attention.

just like we BC'ers are stereotyped as smoking weed, salmon and dick every chance we get.

But it's so much fun talking to them to hear their perspective on things like what they think of us here and if they'd consider moving here. Most people I spoke to wouldn't move here. Mayyyybe the island but they'd fly right over YVR unless it was for a 2-3 day trip.

I'm not leaving till we do an XLB meet!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 08:55 PM   #30643
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:

I'm impressed.
Dont worry, hondaracer will live here forever and be complaining in 20 years as well

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2024, 11:08 PM   #30644
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post
Congrats! I lived in calgary for 3 years, I wrote pros/cons about it here. ultimately I returned to YVR. FYI you can get a refund on the PST (maybe luxury tax?) on your supra once you move and register it in Alberta.
This is news to me! Tell me more... PM if you want to!!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:32 AM   #30645
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Just spent 10 days a few weeks ago in Toronto visiting friends, both of which live in the Beaches between Queen Street and the Danforth

It’s kind of the story of Canada though, we never live up to our full potential because of all the other BS.

With that said they both own “semi detached” homes which are 2+ mill now, which we would consider a duplex, so housing isn’t exactly a relief there
It makes sense though. Vancouver and Toronto is like san Fran and New York comparisons.
One has value in its outdoor lifestyle and one has its value in its indoor lifestyle. Colder shittier landscapes always have a better arts, food, bar scene than somewhere of comparison that has the warmer, nicer outdoor activities year round.
Food here will never reach places like Toronto and Montreal because people's lifestyles here focus on different activities.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2024, 07:29 AM   #30646

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
I think it was about 15-18 months ago when interest rates hit its peak that we talked about how folks were doing financially - I recall some folks were just hanging in there, others were waiting on relief etc. How are things now? Interest rates haven't gone down, some job markets are pretty terrible etc. Has your situation gotten better or worse in the past year or so?
Old 03-17-2024, 07:50 AM   #30647
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,027 Posts
It hasn't changed. We are still hanging on for dear life.

We locked it in 2 hikes ago so we will be hanging on for the next 2 years. When we need to renew is probably when the interest rates have measurably dropped, probably, maybe, hopefully. I don't hope for the 1.1% we had before, but something like 3.5% would be nice compared to the 5.07 we are paying.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:26 AM   #30648
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
We did a lump sum awhile back (we kept cash from the sale of our condo with the intent of using it as buffer if interest rates went up) and it's gotten payments down to something more manageable month to month.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 09:35 AM   #30649
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Lucked out and have a 5-year fixed from Jan 2021. Grateful that income has gone up enough that renewing at 4-5% will be fine, but apparently we also have our eye on moving into a newer/bigger/better located place by 2025 too...
Old 03-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #30650

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
It hasn't changed. We are still hanging on for dear life.

We locked it in 2 hikes ago so we will be hanging on for the next 2 years. When we need to renew is probably when the interest rates have measurably dropped, probably, maybe, hopefully. I don't hope for the 1.1% we had before, but something like 3.5% would be nice compared to the 5.07 we are paying.
I agree, I am just looking for 3.5-4% not anything crazy like 2 or even 3%, better than the 7% I'm paying now.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote