REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-06-2024, 02:06 PM   #31301
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Heat pump?
Looking into if our existing heating system can last a few more years. Replacing it is going to be a 5 figure sum that I don't want to spend right now. If it can last another 5 years I might be able to squeak it into redevelopment for my area and just sell at that point. The other bit is we have been using our heatpump minisplits upstairs and the gas heating system is really only being used to warm up the basement.

The space where my hot water tank and furnace sits is very small. I don't actually know if they can pull the furnace out with the water tank in place, which is for me (unexperienced) sounds like a massive undertaking.

Some one suggested replacing it with the instant on system for the heater but I'm not sure I have enough space to just throw one in there and not remove the old tanked system.

Let's just say, a series of "if it's not broken, don't mess with it" + money saving decisions have put me in the current spot.
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2024, 02:14 PM   #31302
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,892 Times in 3,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
3M can buy you a mansion but it can't buy you energy / the people around you

FWIW I'd be in LA, Scottsdale, Miami, or have a buncha different spots for that price.
But I hate people….. and their “energy”. Get the fuck away from me !!!
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:18 PM   #31303
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,704 Times in 5,217 Posts
Well we can start posting stuff from all over the world too... but how many people have the ability to change countries freely? It's not easy to move to the USA unless you're in an in-demand profession or have a green card sponsorship. I mean no shit everyone wants to live somewhere warmer or on a tropical beach area, that's why BC is so in demand it's the closest thing Canada has to that.

If you're stuck in Canada though, it's always interesting to consider the tradeoffs.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2024, 02:26 PM   #31304
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,215 Times in 378 Posts
ya the most basic

This one... my sugar momma's gonna have to get:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31499897_zpid/

I'll get the rest for 3M tho:

A boat that sleeps 6 below deck for spring/fall, moor somewhere in South Florida.
https://www.hmy.com/yachts-for-sale/...11-magic-life/

A spot in Niseko for ski season, maybe Aspen if I can split a property with a few buddies:
https://www.nisekoproperty.com/for-s...6-yotei-views/

Love surfing and Zouk in Rio ... and will never forget New Years and Carnaval last year so I'd want a spot there for my 10th mistress:
https://www.realtor.com/internationa...-120091302613/

Lisbon's sure getting expensive these days, but it's not too far from my fav surf spot with amazing driving nor from Seville;

800k with parking, garden, terrace, pool, and qualifying for Portuguese PR seems aight tho: https://www.idealista.pt/en/imovel/33382102/

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 05-06-2024 at 02:49 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 PM   #31305
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,226 Times in 7,183 Posts
In on that niseko spot with you.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2024, 04:17 PM   #31306
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,414 Times in 3,481 Posts
If I wanted to live 15 minutes from anything I would buy this for 1.8 mill. It's technically in Ladysmith but 12 minutes from south Nanaimo and the 2 billion dollar residential/commercial Sandstrone project that is being built.

The house is nothing special but it's walk on waterfront.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-nanaimo-cedar
Old 05-06-2024, 04:23 PM   #31307
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,704 Times in 5,217 Posts
^ That's a nice place for sure
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 04:35 PM   #31308
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,928 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Looking into if our existing heating system can last a few more years. Replacing it is going to be a 5 figure sum that I don't want to spend right now. If it can last another 5 years I might be able to squeak it into redevelopment for my area and just sell at that point. The other bit is we have been using our heatpump minisplits upstairs and the gas heating system is really only being used to warm up the basement.

The space where my hot water tank and furnace sits is very small. I don't actually know if they can pull the furnace out with the water tank in place, which is for me (unexperienced) sounds like a massive undertaking.

Some one suggested replacing it with the instant on system for the heater but I'm not sure I have enough space to just throw one in there and not remove the old tanked system.

Let's just say, a series of "if it's not broken, don't mess with it" + money saving decisions have put me in the current spot.
Unless there is a redev deal in the works already, 5 years is an optimistic timeline. My parents' house took about 7 years for a deal to complete and this was with an OCP ratified by the City of Coquitlam. I can't imagine how long it would take in the COV though with new provincial legislation this would hopefully work well in your favour to fast track a land assembly like you're hoping for.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:37 PM   #31309
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post

If that's the plan, I'd say get some backup in place just in case. Like a few space heaters now that winter is over, if any retailer still have any stock, you might be able to source them for cheap.

The idea is simple... things tend to break at the absolute worst moment.

I was kinda on the same idea as yours as we had plan to do a full major reno down the road and I thought to stretch it as much as I could. Then the system just went kaput last year when it started getting really cold at 10PM at night. So I had to rush to any store that was still open and to friends' place to borrow any space heater I could get my hands on.

At the end, I just gone ahead with the full replacement. Sized and installed with capacity to spare for either the additional 1400sqft that I'm planning on adding or a full rebuilt of up to 6000sqft or 8000 if I do a lot of insulation and not just up to code.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:54 PM   #31310
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Heat pump?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Unless there is a redev deal in the works already, 5 years is an optimistic timeline. My parents' house took about 7 years for a deal to complete and this was with an OCP ratified by the City of Coquitlam. I can't imagine how long it would take in the COV though with new provincial legislation this would hopefully work well in your favour to fast track a land assembly like you're hoping for.
I guess 10 years may be closer to reality then. I found a guy, just need to get him in to look at it. I'm glad it went to shits right at the end of the season. It's supposed to get warm on Saturday so my parents just need to survive tonight (parents are living in the basement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
If that's the plan, I'd say get some backup in place just in case. Like a few space heaters now that winter is over, if any retailer still have any stock, you might be able to source them for cheap.

The idea is simple... things tend to break at the absolute worst moment.

I was kinda on the same idea as yours as we had plan to do a full major reno down the road and I thought to stretch it as much as I could. Then the system just went kaput last year when it started getting really cold at 10PM at night. So I had to rush to any store that was still open and to friends' place to borrow any space heater I could get my hands on.

At the end, I just gone ahead with the full replacement. Sized and installed with capacity to spare for either the additional 1400sqft that I'm planning on adding or a full rebuilt of up to 6000sqft or 8000 if I do a lot of insulation and not just up to code.
We have 5 plugin heaters that I can count, 2 of those little round fan ones, a tall standing fan one, and two 1500w oil filled rads. Upstairs we are fine most of the time with just the heatpump minisplits unless it's -10C outside.

We'll see what the tech says when he gets in for a look. Our handyman dropped by and he said it's most likely just dirty and cause things to not burn properly. If the diagnosis is no good then we'll just have to bite the bullet on a new boiler or instant on system.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 06:15 PM   #31311
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,215 Times in 378 Posts
3M in Vancouver's pretty solid. I'd rather be Kits side but that'd be an easy 2-3X in price.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...west-vancouver

12k sqft lot with a containe studio suite

or 3.4 up on cypress bowl with tons of space to host

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2024, 03:59 AM   #31312
RabidMod

Thanked 1,129 Times in 413 Posts
Well, it's official. I've moved to Toronto!

We closed on our house last week. The kid loves it: has space to run around in now, vs our 750 sqft 3bed/2bath house in Menlo Park now for sale.

We had wanted to build our own, but ultimately decided not to try to take that on at the same time we were going to uproot and move the family. Still want to, one day!

Sold the R1T and S2K before we left. Debating on what to get out here .
Old 05-11-2024, 05:31 AM   #31313

Toronto ? Easy! a Porsche and a Corolla
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2024, 12:01 PM   #31314
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,607 Times in 547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Toronto ? Easy! a Porsche and a Corolla
I thought the t.o. special was a Mustang and Accord on dubs?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #31315
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,414 Times in 3,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
I thought the t.o. special was a Mustang and Accord on dubs?
No it's a v6 Charger.
Old 05-11-2024, 03:02 PM   #31316
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
Altima on steelies
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2024, 03:03 PM   #31317
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,757 Times in 913 Posts
Don't forget the bumper balls
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #31318
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,332 Times in 2,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
1 cheap sacrificial workhorse to the Salt Gods that you'll replace every 3 - 5 years. And then something nicer to drive in the non-salty months.

I really like VW's corrosion protection -- IMO they are among the best in the business for that. But then the rest of the car is... well... German lol~
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2024, 08:59 PM   #31319
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,836 Times in 1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Get a presto card.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:45 PM   #31320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
1 cheap sacrificial workhorse to the Salt Gods that you'll replace every 3 - 5 years. And then something nicer to drive in the non-salty months.

I really like VW's corrosion protection -- IMO they are among the best in the business for that. But then the rest of the car is... well... German lol~
My old mk5 was crazy reliable considering all the horror stories of that model. I treated that car like fucking shit at times and it never gave me a single problem. Literally not one single issue in 4 years.
Mk7.5 I have right now though I think isn't going to be the same. Theres a few noises a car with 55k shouldn't have already.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2024, 07:34 AM   #31321

Vut? West, since when did you get a mk7.5 !?
Old 05-12-2024, 07:40 AM   #31322

I've had it for like 2 years now. Got rid of the e46 wagon cause wife wanted something RELIABLE and SAFE for the kid.
Meanwhile I gotta look like a wiener instead of a cool dad in a slammed e46 wagon.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2024, 07:52 AM   #31323

O Wowowow.

I miss my sportwagen quite a bit. It’s my first VW and it was pretty decent even though I trashed the shit out of it. Just the usual DSG weirdness, sunroof leaking and then failing…. Usual German car stuff
Old 05-12-2024, 08:16 AM   #31324

I got one with no sunroof on purpose for that reason
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-12-2024, 09:33 AM   #31325
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,758 Posts
The infotainment on those new VWs is bloody annoying. Car Play seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it craps out, and you get a black screen of death and have to reset the whole system.

Completely random. That was my biggest gripe with the MK7 GTI.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: