REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-24-2024, 05:19 PM   #31476
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Property tax bill just came. Wooo! /s

Total for the year with property tax + city utilities is just shy of $9k fml. When we bought the place 3 years ago property tax was 6k for the year.
Crap, don't remind me! I am absolutely not looking forward to it at all.

But at least I paid like half of it back in Jan/Feb? So it should only be another $3.5 - $4k now.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #31477
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,236 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgsr View Post
it's signature 23 with low kms, seems they're still in the low $40K range which is good. need to see about trade in depending where i get the new car from.

too rich and new for my budget. autozen estimates 32k-38k.

Quote:
Property tax bill just came. Wooo! /s

Total for the year with property tax + city utilities is just shy of $9k fml. When we bought the place 3 years ago property tax was 6k for the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Wonder if you could tie an addendum into a rental agreement to cover 1/3 of any increase in property taxes..
RTB would probably be like Now you have to pay your tenant 12 months of rent
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #31478
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,784 Times in 930 Posts
I wonder instead of signing a rental agreement, can you do it under sublet? so no rtb coverage?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:12 PM   #31479
RabidMod

Thanked 1,174 Times in 433 Posts
Would a listing agent get mad if I didn't accept any offers on offer night, and I insisted on leaving the listing up for even a few more months if need be?

Is there a limit to how many open houses I can expect them to continue doing, before they'll just tell me to go f myself?

This weekend will be the 2nd set of open houses for our old place, and offer day's Wednesday. Just planning ahead, in case the offers aren't any good.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:20 PM   #31480
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Would a listing agent get mad if I didn't accept any offers on offer night, and I insisted on leaving the listing up for even a few more months if need be?

Is there a limit to how many open houses I can expect them to continue doing, before they'll just tell me to go f myself?

This weekend will be the 2nd set of open houses for our old place, and offer day's Wednesday. Just planning ahead, in case the offers aren't any good.
Generally speaking a good agent should know what your magic number is regardless of the list price so if the offers don't hit that mark they won't get upset you didn't take anything. They might advise you that your magic number is not realistic based on the offers though they probably would have told you before if they thought you could get your number or not.

During the open house process I'd expect a good agent to hint to interested opposing agents what it might take to get the deal done as well.

At the end of the day it's their job to do your bidding so it's not for them to get pissed off at your direction.

Last edited by supafamous; 05-24-2024 at 09:38 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 08:17 AM   #31481
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If your agent gets mad on offer night due to your decision, you should fire them.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2024, 08:48 AM   #31482
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,755 Times in 1,792 Posts
Congrats West, sounds like you've been wanting to get a spot on the Shore for a while now, that's wicked.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 10:44 AM   #31483
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,804 Times in 724 Posts
Realistically, you should be posting all of your offers here and RS should decide if you should sell your place, at what price, and with what subjects... Let's not forget, we're the experts here

I'll be expecting all offers posted to RS on Wednesday.

Looking forward to it. I love offer day!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2024, 01:12 PM   #31484
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,522 Times in 5,741 Posts
Our neighbor who bought the house of my wife’s child hood friend 2 houses down bought the house in 2017 for 1.3

Listed today for 2.2

Nice little return for 7 years. Nothing has been done since buying it besides paint
Old 05-25-2024, 01:28 PM   #31485

7 years of property tax, interest and paint ain't cheap now will they actually get $2.2 at these rates is another question
Old 05-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #31486

So on the last month there’s been about 8 listings within 2 blocks of me, both new duplexes and older homes. Every single one has sold in under 2 weeks, pretty crazy.

I typically keep an eye on the neighborhood driving around and walking and I feel like it’s a pretty good indicator of the general market
Old 05-25-2024, 01:45 PM   #31487

I think detached homes will sell just on land value, due to the multiplex rules, every buddy guy will try to get land while they still can to rebuild.

Strata property is another story as there is just more supply. And more options to choose from.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:59 PM   #31488
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,437 Times in 927 Posts
Quote:
Many pages back there was discussions on roof top patios being prone to leaking. It's a headache you have to be ready to deal with. My brother's in-laws has a rooftop patio townhome they are going to sell in the coming month or so. It's right on Marine Drive in South Van so it may not be your top choice. They've had to deal with leaking issues from the roof and they've said fuck it and got it fixed themselves vs getting the strata to slowly deal with it.
There were 2-3 cool units at river district but mosquitos are bad there in the summer. So wrote that off.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 04:16 PM   #31489
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,441 Posts
Excuse me if it seems like a dumb question, but I'm looking into the tax situation for a potential multiplex on the family lot.

Am I right in assuming that we shouldn't have to pay any taxes under the following situation?

The existing lot (title is under my mom) is subdivided into three to accommodate three new units. Each lot is then transferred from mom to child. As this is a gift, it's non-taxable.

If a child currently owns a property elsewhere, they can sell it and be free of any capital gains tax as the propertly being sold is their primary residence. Then can then rent for how many months as necessary and move into the new property.

Am I missing anything?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 03:32 PM   #31490
Say! Say! Say!

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...ng-permit-hub/

Quote:
The British Columbia government says a new online “hub” will speed up building permit processes across jurisdictions.

Premier David Eby says “slow and complicated” building permit processes have delayed housing development at a time when it’s urgently needed.

The province says the digital building permit system will be a “one-stop shop” for local building permits, and 12 municipalities and two First Nations governments are part of the first pilot phase of the new system.

Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says the new system is unique in North America and aims to cut wait times for builders by standardizing requirements that suffer from inconsistencies in different communities.

Eby says builders have seen interest rates rise dramatically, and holding land while awaiting building permits creates a significant cost.

Kahlon says projects are sometimes held up for months as applications get passed around between builders and cities, while the two sides work on compliance with completion requirements.
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2024HOUS0028-000817

Phase 1 participants who will be using the Hub include:
City of Burnaby
City of Campbell River
City of Kamloops
City of Langley
City of Maple Ridge
City of Nanaimo
City of North Vancouver
City of Surrey
City of Victoria
Cowichan Valley Regional District
District of Saanich
Town of Qualicum Beach
Musqueam Indian Band
Tsleil-Waututh Nation
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2024, 03:49 PM   #31491

lol.. yea because First Nations bands are a real marker as to building a home when you don’t need municipal inspections, consultants, etc.

Clear up every other bottleneck before you just start spitting out BP’s..
Old 05-27-2024, 03:59 PM   #31492
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,554 Posts
I don't think you have missed anything, but I also think you wouldn't have to worry about capital gain taxes until the newly sub-divided units have their occupancy permits issued. At that point if you move into the newly built home, and sell your existing home, there is still no capital gain tax to pay -- you moved from 1 primary residence to another, and the old home is sold.

So then there is no need to rent.

If you keep the previous home, that becomes your investment home, and any capital gains you make from your previous home at that point going forward would be subjected to capital gain taxes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Excuse me if it seems like a dumb question, but I'm looking into the tax situation for a potential multiplex on the family lot.

Am I right in assuming that we shouldn't have to pay any taxes under the following situation?

The existing lot (title is under my mom) is subdivided into three to accommodate three new units. Each lot is then transferred from mom to child. As this is a gift, it's non-taxable.

If a child currently owns a property elsewhere, they can sell it and be free of any capital gains tax as the propertly being sold is their primary residence. Then can then rent for how many months as necessary and move into the new property.

Am I missing anything?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2024, 04:05 PM   #31493

Razor, are you actually “subdividing” the lot?

In my experience almost no one subdivides, as in, creating multiple individual legal addresses when it comes to land title etc.

Generally people just build a multiplex which has the single unique address, or slight variations of the address, but in terms of the title and zoning etc. for all intents and purposes it’s still just a single lot. And with that comes the 3rd party utilities such as hydro etc. which still continue to service your new arrangement as a single lot. Which, can add huge $$$ depending on what is required.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:39 PM   #31494
Say! Say! Say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Razor, are you actually “subdividing” the lot?

In my experience almost no one subdivides, as in, creating multiple individual legal addresses when it comes to land title etc.

Generally people just build a multiplex which has the single unique address, or slight variations of the address, but in terms of the title and zoning etc. for all intents and purposes it’s still just a single lot. And with that comes the 3rd party utilities such as hydro etc. which still continue to service your new arrangement as a single lot. Which, can add huge $$$ depending on what is required.
I was under the impression subdivision of the lot was necessary. How would it work if one person were to sell their unit with the land title still under someone else?
Old 05-27-2024, 06:07 PM   #31495

You sell your address, as part of an informal strata or however that works

In my recent work I’ve probably worked with 10-15 duplex/multiplexes and not one of them was actually subdivided. You can see this when you look at the E-assessment, pull up a duplex and 99% of the time it’s just the single lot with both units on it
Old 05-28-2024, 02:28 PM   #31496
private modder

Thanked 2,686 Times in 748 Posts
5 months and 4 offers later, finally we heard today our latest offer was accepted. Lynn Valley, here we come. We're leaving our 5 year old ultra modern condo for a 50 year old vancouver special. It took $61k over asking, subject free, and it was close.

Wtf are we doing.

I gotta admit though, seeing our two year old run around the back yard during the showings is what convinced me to do this.

The very first thing i'm doing tomorrow is resigning from the Strata Council.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 02:47 PM   #31497
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,016 Posts
wow grats f1! very happy for you
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:48 PM   #31498
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I gotta admit though, seeing our two year old run around the back yard during the showings is what convinced me to do this.

The very first thing i'm doing tomorrow is resigning from the Strata Council.
Seeing your kid run in the back yard was very rewarding, but I bet resigning from the strata council will be very satisfying too.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:56 PM   #31499
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,915 Times in 5,296 Posts
Congrats man! RS reno meet hahaha hondaracer can project manage, disapprove of all our work
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2024, 02:58 PM   #31500
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,859 Times in 2,526 Posts
congrats

here's how the resignation will go...
Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa