REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #10126
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Whats wrong with pb plumbing? Supposed to be better than copper.
Leaks over time especially when exposed to chlorine in water supplies.
It's no longer allowed in building codes.

Faster and easier to install, but not "better".
Advertisement
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #10127
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Rain screening wasn't incorporated into building code until 2001 I believe. Our old condo built in 95/96 was not rainscreened. The envelope repairs to bring the envelope up to code worked out to a $40k assessment for us unfortunately, 2 year project beginning to end and our building is small only 30 units. Endless frustration running the strata council and trying to convince owners that voting down a major structural repair in their own home/investment was a bad idea. Paying the premium to be my own strata council of 1 is well worth it
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #10128
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The majority of the big builders who've been around for a while are fine. Bosa, Onni, metro-can, Urban one, etc.

There is a huge difference between mechanical/electrical/build problems than with finishing details. Doors jamming, nail pops, flex in floor etc. are almost accepted these days because builds go so fast builders rarely have time to go back after a unit has been sitting prior to turn over. Things settle, moisture evaporates, caulking cracks, etc.

Just because people have a mindset that they paid X amount their unit should be absolutely perfect isn't the reality. It's kind of a funny switch of roles in most cases because developers and builders obviously spend the most time going over their most expensive units with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are perfect, when in most cases the people buying the high end units seemingly don't give a shit about the small imperfections that the people buying the lower end units do
Hey, I mean, if you're cool spending a million bucks on an overpriced shoebox where they can't even get the fit and finish right, go on ahead I guess.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are completely irrational when it comes to real estate here in Vancouver.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #10129

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Rain screening wasn't incorporated into building code until 2001 I believe. Our old condo built in 95/96 was not rainscreened. The envelope repairs to bring the envelope up to code worked out to a $40k assessment for us unfortunately, 2 year project beginning to end and our building is small only 30 units. Endless frustration running the strata council and trying to convince owners that voting down a major structural repair in their own home/investment was a bad idea. Paying the premium to be my own strata council of 1 is well worth it
My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think rainscreen was incorporated into BC building code mid 2000 (05/06) and vancouver incorporated late 90's (96-97).
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #10130
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
Hey, I mean, if you're cool spending a million bucks on an overpriced shoebox where they can't even get the fit and finish right, go on ahead I guess.

It never ceases to amaze me how people are completely irrational when it comes to real estate here in Vancouver.
Even in house/and duplex that cost over 2 million will have finishing issue. Is common these days. When contractors is being rush and being undercut.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #10131

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Just because people have a mindset that they paid X amount their unit should be absolutely perfect isn't the reality. It's kind of a funny switch of roles in most cases because developers and builders obviously spend the most time going over their most expensive units with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are perfect, when in most cases the people buying the high end units seemingly don't give a shit about the small imperfections that the people buying the lower end units do
Agreed and it's the same crews doing all different levels price ranges of construction.

In the last 12 months we've worked on some high rises in Richmond where units were selling I believe somewhere in the 400's at the time of presales? We're finishing up a new hotel that had an insane schedule where we had 120+ guys on site at the peak, three new hospitals across Western Canada and we're working on a High end Mid Rise in West Van that is selling for around $2,200sf, some suites are in the 9 million dollar range.

A lot of the same crews more or less on all these projects.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #10132
I don't get it

Are you saying codes are now dictating copper again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Leaks over time especially when exposed to chlorine in water supplies.
It's no longer allowed in building codes.

Faster and easier to install, but not "better".
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #10133
I don't get it

Funny I remember seeing the pressure test videos where they would crank up the pressure and it would swell in one area they circle it and bring the pressure down and up again but it would be another area that swells. Trying to show that the material is flexible and the same area wouldn't be weak and be likely to fail after a previous issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windchaser View Post
whats wrong with PB plumbing ?! Do you know what it is at all ?! if you see grey coloured plastic pipe you better hope it doesn't explode any time soon. People spend thousands of dollars to replace those out of their homes.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:32 AM   #10134
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Agreed and it's the same crews doing all different levels price ranges of construction.

In the last 12 months we've worked on some high rises in Richmond where units were selling I believe somewhere in the 400's at the time of presales? We're finishing up a new hotel that had an insane schedule where we had 120+ guys on site at the peak, three new hospitals across Western Canada and we're working on a High end Mid Rise in West Van that is selling for around $2,200sf, some suites are in the 9 million dollar range.

A lot of the same crews more or less on all these projects.
400k, 2M, 10M, doesn't matter.

unless the client comes out and say "hey look I know we're only working with this much time or this much resources and I'm okay with subpar results"

you will stand by your workmanship.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #10135
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Poly B was used far later than 95, my former bosses house that was built in the early 2000's had some and had multiple failures which flooded the basement.

I've been to a few seminars regarding it, it's not so much the product is always bad but moreso inconsistencies with its production. I can't remember if it's zinc or what it was but depending on where it was manufactured it does not have enough material to pass quality controls in its fittings, it's not so much the actual pipe but the fittings and elbows that wear away and fail. Fairly easy to identify but hard if it's only in places which are inaccessible (i.e. Walls ceilings etc)

Also re: my comment about levels of rinishinf being accepted, didn't mean accepted by the home owner but by the developer/builder. Especially in high rise construction where turn over dates for the whole building typically occur over as short as a month or two. Simple things like drywall patches, paint, cabinet repairs, etc can take days, weeks, months in some cases. And it always falls back on the supplier or trade rather than the builder in my experience (unless the organization is completely inept)

A good drywall patch on a hole the size of a baseketball could take 3-4 days to complete, so in most cases it's better to leave deficiencies and have them addressed all at once as opposed to trying to address every little thing and end up behind schedule
Old 07-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #10136

Thanked 4,768 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
Are you saying codes are now dictating copper again?
There are other approved options out there like PEX.

I don't think copper was ever removed as an allowable piping material, if you want to spend the time & money to use it you still can.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #10137
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Most residential now use PEX.
Commercial/Industrial use CPVC (e.g. Aquarise).

Copper is still used by old school contractors/engineers, and on some larger pipe sizes, but it's quickly being replaced. It's an inferior product to PEX and CPVC, it erodes because of our soft water, and also needs to be a larger pipe size compared to PEX because of the erosion.

Stainless steel is also started being used in commercial/multi-unit residential for risers where fire ratings are an issue.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #10138
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,883 Times in 745 Posts
Quote:
Poly B was used far later than 95, my former bosses house that was built in the early 2000's had some and had multiple failures which flooded the basement.

I've been to a few seminars regarding it, it's not so much the product is always bad but moreso inconsistencies with its production. I can't remember if it's zinc or what it was but depending on where it was manufactured it does not have enough material to pass quality controls in its fittings, it's not so much the actual pipe but the fittings and elbows that wear away and fail. Fairly easy to identify but hard if it's only in places which are inaccessible (i.e. Walls ceilings etc)

Also re: my comment about levels of rinishinf being accepted, didn't mean accepted by the home owner but by the developer/builder. Especially in high rise construction where turn over dates for the whole building typically occur over as short as a month or two. Simple things like drywall patches, paint, cabinet repairs, etc can take days, weeks, months in some cases. And it always falls back on the supplier or trade rather than the builder in my experience (unless the organization is completely inept)

A good drywall patch on a hole the size of a baseketball could take 3-4 days to complete, so in most cases it's better to leave deficiencies and have them addressed all at once as opposed to trying to address every little thing and end up behind schedule
Calling the developer to fix in-suite deficiencies means I have to take time off work to let the guy in (even though the building manager has a key). So... I just fixed it myself. Most handy doodz (or gals, sorry) can take care of these types of things themselves. I fixed a bunch of nail pops and re-painted myself. My paint cuts were done better than whoever did them originally too... all this coming from someone who's never had to do this type of stuff, though it helps that I've watched how the pros do it on various job sites.

Last edited by jing; 07-11-2017 at 03:47 PM.
jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #10139

Bank of Canada raises interest rate for 1st time in 7 years to 0.75% - Business - CBC News
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #10140
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
Poly B was used up to 95 so that would be the biggest issue. No question from the 90's to 2000's its going to be more decent but I have seen lots of shitty jobs with those years since a lot of the newer builds were getting pieced together like Lego.

My house was built in 71 and everything is well constructed, no Asbestos, copper plumbing, copper electrical, old growth trees used for the frame and exterior wall. Those were the houses that were made right but need renos now due to the age.

Worst part for that year of course is the single ain alum windows.

How do you know there's no asbestos in your home? Did you get everything tested?
turbo_slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #10141
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,397 Times in 910 Posts
ANYONe know if you can get a HELOC without income

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #10142
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ My parents is retire and they got approve for HELOC. But that was years and years ago. Not sure if anyone have change since.

Having some issue with my apartment. Been figuring out on how to install a door/panel in the bedroom. Currently there are no bedroom door. The opening is 46 inch wide and 89inch tall. Way too big and tall for standard door. The ceiling and the sides use some drywall so is not very strong. Not to mention there is a power panel on the right side that's very close to where I want to install the door/panel.

Though about using sliding door but the rail needs a lot of support from the side and it won't do. (something like this ). Side the side are drywall it just won't hold the door.

Though about using the rail on the ceiling itself again since the ceiling part is also very weak it won't hold the door. The good thing about this setup is I can install 2 rails so there are 2 sliding doors that will cover up the opening.

Though about taking out the both sides, the ceiling and make the opening smaller to the standard size door. But that would require a ton of work (adding layers into the wall itself, patch it and repaint it) Not to mention such a major job the management company might not approve.

The only thing I think might work is something call Chicology
I can install the rail on the ceiling and since the door is not really a door but rather each curtain (4) clap down with the guide rails onto the rail itself so it looks decent. The size also fits the size without me doing much work to the unit.

Any suggestions from RS? here is a pic. I will try to get a better one next time I am there.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 07-17-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #10143
x_x

^Framing in that opening for a door is a relatively simple job. I would recommend doing that especially if it's for a bedroom. Those adjustable panels don't seem suitable and probably won't be good for sound travel.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #10144

I guess I should take a more detail picture when I have the chance. Framing is an easy job but the size of the door have to have custom made and needs management approval. On the left of the opening the breaker is there and to the right is there is the wiring for the cable services...... Apartments everything needs approval. Oh well.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #10145

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
I like the way those sliding doors look. Especially nice in smaller bedrooms where you have to worry about bed placement compared to the entry way.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #10146
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

How did you not get a door in the first place or a proper design layout with enough space to fit a door? sorry for the stupid question.
vash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #10147

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
How did you not get a door in the first place or a proper design layout with enough space to fit a door? sorry for the stupid question.
Is really common in one bedroom apartment now. With a door it makes everything looks smaller and cramp. If the developers use a sliding door it might make the place look cheap and others might prefer to use a proper door instead.

Just take a look at new apartments going up, look at their show rooms there are no doors for one bedroom and it also shows in their layout/blueprint.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #10148

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
ANYONe know if you can get a HELOC without income
I'm not a banker but I would assume it would depend on how much equity you have in your home. Why not set up an appointment and ask your bank, that advice is free as a bird.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #10149
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Selina Robinson: The new Housing Minister tasked with cooling the housing market

She has a little video on Youtube:

Housing minister Selina Robinson to tackle B.C.?s runaway housing prices | Vancouver Sun

Quote:
Robinson, re-elected in Coquitlam-Maillairdville and formerly critic for mental health and addictions, is seen as a strong advocate for housing affordability and a rising star in Premier John Horgan’s party.

On the campaign trail, Robinson said imposing a speculation tax to slow runaway home prices in Metro Vancouver and Victoria, and building 114,000 new rental units, were at the top of the party’s to-do list.

The NDP also promised to close loopholes that allow for flipping of presale condos and to establish a multi-agency task force to fight tax fraud and money laundering in the real-estate market.

Robinson is filling the shoes of B.C.’s new Attorney-General David Eby. As NDP housing critic, Eby promised the party would change land-holding rules that allow true owners to hide behind shell company and legal trust arrangements.

It will be Robinson’s challenge to move quickly on NDP campaign promises, while also being cautious of economic consequences that new real estate regulations could have, experts including UBC housing economists Tom Davidoff and Tsur Somerville told Postmedia on Tuesday.

Somerville and Davidoff said they believe Robinson and the NDP will implement a plan for a two-per-cent speculation tax on foreign people who buy property in B.C. but don’t pay tax here. The tax would be based on assessed value, and estimated revenue of $200 million per year would go into a B.C. Housing Affordability Fund.

“I think the most important thing they can do is to make sure people who buy homes in B.C. are paying taxes here, and I’m pretty optimistic the NDP will move in that direction,” Davidoff said. “And I think they will clamp down on speculation and money laundering.”

“The NDP will be more aggressive in regulating capital in-flow and demand that is not local serving demand,” Somerville said.

Somerville and Davidoff both said they believed one of Robinson’s early actions could be reforms to the B.C. Rental Tenancy Act, to tackle so-called “renovictions” that allow landlords to raise rent prices through dubious means.

The Green election platform proposed expanding and increasing the foreign-buyer tax to 30 per cent and applying it across the province. The NDP has shown no sign of adopting that proposal. But Robinson could pick up on some of Green leader Andrew Weaver’s ideas to tax windfall capital gains on home sales, Somerville and Davidoff said.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #10150

New record: $2,090 a month is average cost of one-bedroom rental in Vancouver | Globalnews.ca
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote