REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #13201
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
^

I think I'd probably have to look for something along the skytrain lines because work is close to yaletown. Work starts between 7:30 to 9:30 depending whenever I choose to go in. However, I would like to work remote to save the commute time.

Kind of want to experience living in downtown while I am still in early 20's
Advertisement

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #13202
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Kind of want to experience living in downtown while I am still in early 20's
When you are young and single, living in DT is *awesome*.

IMO, the easiest way to do this is to find a roomate and rent. But then you have to realize the financial impact it has on your overall grant plans.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #13203
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Speaking of Burquitlam, I took some screengrabs of some properties which I circled.
unrelated to the content but do you know how to enable that 3D 'The Sims' view in Google Maps on iOS/Android?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-19-2018 at 11:31 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #13204
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
unrelated to the content but do you know how to enable that 3D 'The Sims' view in Google Maps on iOS/Android?
Two fingers next to each other and then push up(forward) should start tilting the map. And then pull down to straighten it back out. At least that's how it works for Android, unsure about iOS.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #13205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
When you are young and single, living in DT is *awesome*.

IMO, the easiest way to do this is to find a roomate and rent. But then you have to realize the financial impact it has on your overall grant plans.
How much would you have to make financially / save monthly before you would justifying a roommate downtown?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #13206

Quote:
How much would you have to make financially / save monthly before you would justifying a roommate downtown?
I dunno. I've never actually lived alone in an apartment before. It was always either with a buddy / roomate, gf / wifey. From both a financial and companionship perspective, I just don't think it make sense to live alone in an apartment.

My comment of renting in DT and the financial impact was really meant to be a larger scope question. Because as much fun as it is to live in DT, doing so is expensive. The rent, the lifestyle, etc. are all expensive. IMO, if you are not treating it as a lifestyle decision -- ie. going out to enjoy the life and options that are unique and easily available in the DT area, there is no point in living in DT. You might as well just live somewhere else. But pursuing a lifestyle like that is not cheap, and it has the potential to eat into your future financial situation because that is money you could have saved for something else.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #13207

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Two fingers next to each other and then push up(forward) should start tilting the map. And then pull down to straighten it back out. At least that's how it works for Android, unsure about iOS.
thanks, the perspective is 3D, but the landmarks are still 2D flat (on iOS)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #13208
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,390 Times in 1,233 Posts
Do you work Downtown as well? There's also the savings from having a walking commute. That is invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #13209

the appeal of downtown to me would be proximity to food and the water

I don't drink/party/work there, car ownership is still important, don't want homelessness at the street corner... so all that counts against me to consider living there
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #13210

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Do you work Downtown as well? There's also the savings from having a walking commute. That is invaluable as far as I'm concerned.
Yeah, I currently work in Downtown. Future jobs would be located downtown as well. Finance/Accounting. I'd love to be able to walk to work. Save like an hour each day from commuting / skytraining. However, it would be weird to sell all the cars and go car less. I wouldn't sell my cars until I am done school in a year.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 09-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #13211
linguistic ninja

Quote:
the appeal of downtown to me would be proximity to food and the water

I don't drink/party/work there, car ownership is still important, don't want homelessness at the street corner... so all that counts against me to consider living there
Homeless aren't a huge issue in certain DT neighborhoods like the West End and Coal Harbour. And if you think you won't see homeless people in the suburbs

Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #13212
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Yeah, I currently work in Downtown. Future jobs would be located downtown as well. Finance/Accounting. I'd love to be able to walk to work. Save like an hour each day from commuting / skytraining. However, it would be weird to sell all the cars and go car less. I wouldn't sell my cars until I am done school in a year.
Keep one car, sell the other 2 to help finance your Downtown Lifestyle!

This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #13213

I might hear them rummaging through the blue bin at 3am
but they're not visible in residential neighbourhoods...whereas d/t they're loitering 24/7
Old 09-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #13214

Quote:
Keep one car, sell the other 2 to help finance your Downtown Lifestyle!
Hopefully the economy starts going into a recession, stock market crashes, followed by housing. Pick up a $400k >10 year old loft downtown.

jks, all my ETF's will go down too so there goes a majority of my downpayment

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #13215
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I dunno. I've never actually lived alone in an apartment before. It was always either with a buddy / roomate, gf / wifey. From both a financial and companionship perspective, I just don't think it make sense to live alone in an apartment.

My comment of renting in DT and the financial impact was really meant to be a larger scope question. Because as much fun as it is to live in DT, doing so is expensive. The rent, the lifestyle, etc. are all expensive. IMO, if you are not treating it as a lifestyle decision -- ie. going out to enjoy the life and options that are unique and easily available in the DT area, there is no point in living in DT. You might as well just live somewhere else. But pursuing a lifestyle like that is not cheap, and it has the potential to eat into your future financial situation because that is money you could have saved for something else.
I will never live with a roomate unless is my gf/wife. Too much issue. When I got the 2 bed in coq center I though about renting out the 2nd room to get some income. After some though into is just no. Yes there are 2 bedrooms so each one person gets their own washroom but still I have to share the laundry, the living room, kitchen. I won't be able to have any guest at all or invite friends over the game night or movie night, I can't invite my parents over for dinner or in the future have my gf over. Simple things like walking around the suite in pj I can't do. I am also pretty clean, I like to clean the place every week and if the person isn't I will go crazy. Also sharing laundry..... Aside from that I also expect my roomate to be quiet and clean and non smoker.

So now I am just going to use the 2nd bedroom as a guest bedroom in case people came over and needed a place to stay.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #13216
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Hopefully the economy starts going into a recession, stock market crashes, followed by housing. Pick up a $400k >10 year old loft downtown.

jks, all my ETF's will go down too so there goes a majority of my downpayment
Your ETF's will recover much much faster than housing and while it recovers, they'll still pay dividends and you'll still be reinvesting the dividends. You'll still be better off after the recovery. That's when you should look at buying.

The US stock market recovered in about a year while housing kept tumbling for 5.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:43 PM   #13217

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Your ETF's will recover much much faster than housing and while it recovers, they'll still pay dividends and you'll still be reinvesting the dividends. You'll still be better off after the recovery. That's when you should look at buying.

The US stock market recovered in about a year while housing kept tumbling for 5.
I haven't lived through a recession yet. I'll be interesting to see the speculation on the stock market / housing market when it arrives though.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #13218
linguistic ninja

You weren't alive in 2008?

This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #13219

Quote:
You weren't alive in 2008?
Well, in 2008 I just left elementary school. I didn't have anything invested nor was I working until grade 9/10. So I wouldn't have known any better. My view of the world was very limited. So I guess I wasn't alive in 2008

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #13220

i'm done with the roommate phase too but you gotta do what you gotta do in a market like Vancouver

even if it takes moving back with your parents to alleviate debt, save etc.

the peers that will laugh at you for having roommates/living at home likely just got lucky...timing, background, connections. etc.

2200/mo to rent a one bed is not okay without a real economy here (you need a single income of 80k to afford that...just to bloody rent!)

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-19-2018 at 06:37 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #13221
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There are a tonne of buildings on queensborough with very nice lofts. A lot of newer development there as well so you may be able to work a price out on a bit older unit
Correcto, We pulled the trigger on our place in Queensborough because it had Surrey pricing without actually being in Surrey

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #13222
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
Correcto, We pulled the trigger on our place in Queensborough because it had Surrey pricing without actually being in Surrey
nicely done. I think those places will pay off in the long run.

I have an idea.. but i'm not sure if there will be enough people to take advantage of this.

I'm thinking going forward i make notes of buildings i go into that have potential and forward that info to you guys. It's kind of hard to make notes going forward in terms of buildings/addresses that i may bring up.. but it could be a start..

i work in new west and Burnaby, could be some value. i'll try going forward and see how it goes
Old 09-20-2018, 12:42 AM   #13223

IMO, you always gotta do what you gotta do.

Esp about the point where peers would laugh at you. Are we seriously still teenagers that give into this kind of bullshit peer pressure? If anyone gives me that crap now, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to associate with them.
Quote:
i'm done with the roommate phase too but you gotta do what you gotta do in a market like Vancouver

even if it takes moving back with your parents to alleviate debt, save etc.

the peers that will laugh at you for having roommates/living at home likely just got lucky...timing, background, connections. etc.

2200/mo to rent a one bed is not okay without a real economy here (you need a single income of 80k to afford that...just to bloody rent!)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #13224
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
We thought about Queensborough, but a friend's buddy moved his family in there and said that traffic is nothing but a giant clusterfuck during rush hour
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:04 AM   #13225
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
We thought about Queensborough, but a friend's buddy moved his family in there and said that traffic is nothing but a giant clusterfuck during rush hour
Luckly for us, our work hours are just outside of rush hour and we know all the back routes so that helps as well

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote