REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #13276
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
So only applies to chinks and gooks? So specific! I guess any Asian other than Chinese and Koreans are welcome?
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #13277
I don't get it

That's the most racist word that person can think of for asians probably.

Someone should write a parody letter from a First Nations' POV
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #13278
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Is this thread about real estate, or racist views?
Lets get back on track before I'm forced to lock this.
Ur gonna lock the most popular thread on revscene?
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2018, 09:35 AM   #13279
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts
RIP RS

only citizens can be realtors

there, problem solved

dem chinarman won't give up their chinese hukou

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #13280
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I mean there are a lot of rich people here but unlike the Chinese people don't make themselves a target. What do you expect you are dress in Gucci, Dior, Canada Goose tiffiany etc etc from head to toe and drive some nice super cars but can't park if their life depended on it. Not to mention their attitude others who aren't as rich as they are (They will treat you as a lower class).
White people, Asian people, brown people do the exact same things to white people, Asian people, brown people. Races and origins have nothing to do with being a xenophobe.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #13281
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
So only applies to chinks and gooks? So specific! I guess any Asian other than Chinese and Koreans are welcome?
Gooks can pretty much apply to every other non-Chinese East Asian ethnicity like Vietnamese. Except Japs, they are distinctive enough to get their own slur.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #13282
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,297 Times in 2,510 Posts
Steering this back towards real estate issues -- what is RS' take on the recently proposed changes to rent hike formula so that the max rate hike can only be tied to the rate of inflation?

IMO, those people on the BC Rental Housing Taskforce -- Vancouver-West End MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert (who also serves as the Premier’s Advisor on Residential Tenancy), MLAs Adam Olsen and Ronna-Rae Leonard -- are idiots. Put that rate hike limit in place, and watch how the supply of rental properties dry up even more.

I am also surprised by how many people among the general public can't see that these changes will only lead to reduce rental supply.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #13283
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
its on news1130 and i wouldn't be surprised if global ran it with their bleeding heart mentality

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/09...itlam-realtor/

I swear the media is so short sighted, like i guess when it goes "viral" they are obligated to report it, but i feel like this sort of thing does more damage than good

You've got the social justice warriors triggered to ruin somones life

You've got the right leaning non-asian groups looking at it and having a chuckle and agreeing

Have dummies getting ideas in their head of imitation

media outlets consciously promoting division?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #13284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Steering this back towards real estate issues -- what is RS' take on the recently proposed changes to rent hike formula so that the max rate hike can only be tied to the rate of inflation?

IMO, those people on the BC Rental Housing Taskforce -- Vancouver-West End MLA Spencer Chandra Herbert (who also serves as the Premier’s Advisor on Residential Tenancy), MLAs Adam Olsen and Ronna-Rae Leonard -- are idiots. Put that rate hike limit in place, and watch how the supply of rental properties dry up even more.

I am also surprised by how many people among the general public can't see that these changes will only lead to reduce rental supply.
It's already gone, rent hikes are like irrelevant, 2/3/4%

the people who are already paying 1800 for a 1br can probably absorb the increase, the people on the fringes who are dealing with rental companies and landlords that are taking advantage of the yearly increases are fucked. They were already fucked before this new standard. It's not sustainable for people who are living cheque to cheque to try and live in situations like that regardless of the increase.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #13285
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Simple new landlord will just set the intial price higher to offset this. Instead of listing their one bedroom at $2000/mo they will just list it at $2400/mo. And you still have people lining up to rent it off your hands.

Just found out the person who purchase my apartment just rented it out $2400/mo. Is a one bedroom. Sure is nice is new is got A/C near metrotown. But still is only a one bedroom. My friend who currently rented her one bedroom out 2 years ago furinshed for only $1800. When her current tenant was going to move out then realize how cheap his rent is and now he is not moving. Even if she increase his rate every year is still far cheaper for him to stay.

A friend of mine who also rented out his one bedroom near metrotown around Aug listed for $2200/mo for a 490sq sutido had people lining up ready to sign the lease on the spot. Apartment was rented out the same day ad was posted up.

All I say is if rental increase is to inflation you are going to see a lot of place listed much much higher than current rate and some people might even use loopholes to kick their current tenant if the rent is too low.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #13286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It's already gone, rent hikes are like irrelevant, 2/3/4%
Currently, the maximum allowed hike is inflation + 2%. It isn't much, and a smart landlord with a good tenant may or may not even increase it by that much anyway since it is probably a better idea to keep a good tenant than to price them out.

Quote:
the people who are already paying 1800 for a 1br can probably absorb the increase, the people on the fringes who are dealing with rental companies and landlords that are taking advantage of the yearly increases are fucked. They were already fucked before this new standard. It's not sustainable for people who are living cheque to cheque to try and live in situations like that regardless of the increase.
^^ I quite agree with all this.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #13287

Lol what is so good about Metrotown... 2200 for a studio?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #13288
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ It's not just Metrotown, the new building by Edmunds "Cedar Creek" is selling 1 bedroom, 633 sq ft for $500k.

If they paid the basic 15% down it means their mortgage would be about 2500/ month. And then renting it out for at least 3000 to cover costs.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #13289
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Lol what is so good about Metrotown... 2200 for a studio?
The convenience of having everything within walking distance and being a 15 minute train ride away to downtown is quite enticing.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #13290
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Watch Asians take the blame for a market correction as well... Not white? Can't win... lol
Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #13291
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
^^

Uhhh that’s pretty clearly dumb white politicians reacting 20 years too late to closing loopholes and outdated laws and/or allowing it to happen to profit off it personally
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #13292

Many of the things you mentioned simply can't happen. New landlords (for a particular unit) can set their initial rental price to whatever they want, but they'd at least generally look into what the going rate for similar units in similar locations that are being rented right now as reference. So if they arbitrarily pick a high number out of the hat, it probably wouldn't generate too much traction.

Existing landlords do not have this option to set an initial high price -- they'd be bounded by whatever the current maximum rent increase percentage is in effect. If they find the rent to be too low, their only real and viable option is to sell that unit, and buy again somewhere else with the money. You can't do renoviction anymore because new legislation makes it:

1) tougher on what qualifies as renovations that are significant enough to evict the tenant, and

2) significantly longer advanced notice of eviction is required

3) the existing tenant has the first right of refusal to rent the renovated unit again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Simple new landlord will just set the intial price higher to offset this. Instead of listing their one bedroom at $2000/mo they will just list it at $2400/mo. And you still have people lining up to rent it off your hands.

Just found out the person who purchase my apartment just rented it out $2400/mo. Is a one bedroom. Sure is nice is new is got A/C near metrotown. But still is only a one bedroom. My friend who currently rented her one bedroom out 2 years ago furinshed for only $1800. When her current tenant was going to move out then realize how cheap his rent is and now he is not moving. Even if she increase his rate every year is still far cheaper for him to stay.

A friend of mine who also rented out his one bedroom near metrotown around Aug listed for $2200/mo for a 490sq sutido had people lining up ready to sign the lease on the spot. Apartment was rented out the same day ad was posted up.

All I say is if rental increase is to inflation you are going to see a lot of place listed much much higher than current rate and some people might even use loopholes to kick their current tenant if the rent is too low.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:08 PM   #13293
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ I am aware of the new policy (I mention this a few pages back) and I still don't get it. The gov wants more people to rent out their property/basement but put in place to prevent landlord kick trouble tenants. It makes no sense. You don't even have to be a good tenant just don't cause trouble and most likely your landlord wants you stay. My parents have rented out their basement since 1991 and never had any issue with forcing tenants outs. Every time it is the tenants that move on(bought their own place, moving away etc etc). And they don't increase the rent at all. Coz the tenants were good.

Giving more power to tenants only prevent people from renting their place out. Is no easy being a landord there are so many risk it almost makes renting out as an invesement not worth it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 PM   #13294
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
rent hike changes, every year, ask me how i know

it's 4.5 pts for 2019
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:24 AM   #13295
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4487219/a...s-little-as-1/

Spoiler!
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 AM   #13296

Syndicated mortgage loan is not new. They're also risky AF and most people ended up losing their money.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #13297
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,253 Posts
developers short for cash now?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #13298

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
developers short for cash now?
Easier and quicker to get cash from a pool of retails rather than going to a bank.

This increases liquidity but there are risk with development being delayed or abandoned. Mom and pop ends up holding the bag. There are enough of these in Ontario that they came down hard July this year and imposed a dollar limit on how much you can put in.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...help-1.4603945
Old 09-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #13299

These “lift ups” have been increasingly popular, but man do they seem sketchy af lol

Old 09-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #13300
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Those lift ups look like a bad game of Jenga just waiting to happen
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote