REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #13401
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiKid View Post
Amazing Brentwood
I've been following Brentwood for a long time, ever since I purchased in 2014. After 3 amendments it's finally nearing completion, and buyers are slated to take ownership some time in Q2 2019. One aspect that Shape properties, the developer, has remained silent on is major tenants for the mall expansion. For a while a lot of people were fearful that they couldn't find enough attention-drawing storefronts to own up to their "luxury/upscale shopping experience" marketing.
Good summary and project update. I'm excited for owners and know of clients still looking to buy assignment sales on the CHEAP (for sellers that can't mortgage for whatever reason) as they are unlisted and hard to find outside of MLS.

Did some assignments early in Amazing Brentwood around January. I remember reading contracts from 2014 and 1BR being $290K and 2BR being $420K range. Lifts were huge - sellers were profiting $300K lift. The baller buyers with cash can pay $370K-450K cash, most buyers staggered deposit + lift with some due at completion.
Outside Envelope date had to be extended as no buyer in right mind will want their original money back after 3 years.

As a residential developer - SHAPE has honestly lost faith from many of their buyers with delays on Amazing and COL. City of Lougheed has yet to even take payment #2 on Tower 1 (out of 20+). Tower 2 seems to be off to a rocky start with the worst timing of it all - grand opening late Oct into a slower R/E market.

The actual location itself though - since SHAPE does own Brentwood Mall - it's exciting to see massive district scale vision being put in place - something only a large commercial developer can pull off. It's great to see the Catterton (LVMH) partnership - but you have to be realistic if Brentwood can support a Holt Renfrew like prescence - most luxury malls are there to be SEEN and provide anchor for branding globally, not for profits I feel. Regardless - it's a boost for anyone living around Brentwood - and there's certainly no shortage of new towers in the area.

Quality remains to be seen - but I imagine if they put the same trades and quality of care as they do on commercial/residential side it should be pretty decent. Can't say that about certain EI developer that just completed on Gilley/Kingsway and has 4 towers around Brentwood....
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #13402
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Shameless plug....but my company is running a small workshop this Saturday afternoon on the topic of First Time Home Buyer.

Some of the content we will cover include such as
- how to save for the same downpayment using half the time
- why the lowest interest mortgage may not be the best mortgage
- besides downpayment + mortgage, the 3rd important element that can end up making their mortgage life very uncomfortable
- how to tell if our mortgage is good debt or bad debt

This is a small, private session that is info only and usually for friends & friends only. I have a few last remaining spots available for this Saturday. PM me if you're interested in knowing more.
SFU_wmc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:05 AM   #13403
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post
Shameless plug....but my company is running a small workshop this Saturday afternoon on the topic of First Time Home Buyer.

- why the lowest interest mortgage may not be the best mortgage
- besides downpayment + mortgage, the 3rd important element that can end up making their mortgage life very uncomfortable
- how to tell if our mortgage is good debt or bad debt

This is a small, private session that is info only and usually for friends & friends only. I have a few last remaining spots available for this Saturday. PM me if you're interested in knowing more.
I'm probably just a cynical prick but

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #13404
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I'm probably just a cynical prick but
No kidding - sounds like a clickbait article written for society’s least educated. Like what is the magic bullet to allow me to save twice as much in the same period of time that isn’t just “save twice as much each month” lol? Does not compute...

Mark
Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #13405
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
It's called Costco Wholesale for a reason. Why would a business want to limit the amount of money a customer gives them?
Spot on! The whole concept of Costco upon inception was to sell stuff to businesses. These people re-selling Costco products to China or their own local shop is right in the spirit of Costco's original vision. But understandably, modern day Costco caters to a lot of individual consumers so the original sentiment is understandable.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #13406
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post
obviously there are issues with this practice and the lack of accountability and shifting blame is rather jarring...if I try to pull this shit in my industry 'well I mean it was already shitty job in the first place, so i'm still gonna do the work fully knowing it's gonna be craptastic anyways instead of raising the problems' and I would be out of a job by the end of the day

think about it...car companies can roll out hundreds of vehicles daily, sourcing parts from all over the world. Yet they need to work within a tight tolerance. So if ppl give Tesla flack for awful gaps then surely it's warranted here

there needs to be a QC team that oversees the contracted work, maybe not feasible at every stage but after every couple of stages into the build

there also needs to be a regulation where if you constantly being reported for shitty work, your future build permits will not be issued until you put in some attention into addressing concerns with completed projects

if people are paying 200k for an apartment, fine whatever you can try to argue 'get what you pay for' but that's not the case anymore...most are stretched thin and paying through the nose and still having to deal with years and years of delay, the end user deserves better and the developer knows this but would rather you go through many hoops before attempting an ongoing 'resolution'
The QC is more or less "deficiency work" or warranty claims.

Unfortunately each city (municipal) knows there is to much money to be made in permit fees, DCL's, DCCs in order to ban/withour permits for builders.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:33 PM   #13407
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Oh I don't know coz maybe coz one else can buy. Literally these people would camp right in the morning and if they need to buy something say a specific type of chocolate. They would go in and buy literally every single one of them. No one else gets a chance to buy them till a new shipment comes in (which could be a day or when Costco stock them) that's if these people don't buy out the entire stock again next shipment comes in.

How would you feel if you have a new born and everywhere you go all the baby formula is sold out literally everyday unless you drive 45mins away and get some. And you know is not everyday folks who buys them. People buy them out so they can ship it oversea to make a profit and the store just allows them do this.

That's what happen to HK a few years back and literally lot's of place are out of baby formula or what ever these Chinese decided to buy and ship it to China. Things got so bad the gov have to put a limit on how much each person can carry in a day.

If you don't stop them now things will just get worse and worse and when you try to put a stop to it then is too late.
This is not China and Costco should order more stock to meet the demand. I bought 46 2l of coke from Wallmart last week. You mad?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:00 PM   #13408
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Sorry been swamped - One Central sale apparently starts around Oct 20-22 for VIP round. Submit your forms - our team and group has put in 150+. Aiming for 10% success rate.

One Central Surrey

Floorplate and hand out uploaded. TBA on assignment fee.
My suggestion is to get few forms in - Magnum the marketing group is definitely about who you know and who you submit forms with.

Submitting with realtors they don't know = no chance in hell for units. My feedback.
Just curious how did the VIP round go? Is everything around $200k already gone?
Old 10-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #13409
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
This is not China and Costco should order more stock to meet the demand. I bought 46 2l of coke from Wallmart last week. You mad?
Costco????????????????????????? - ?????? VanPeople.com

Doesn't matter to me but others might. My Chinese isn't the best but it seems like whenever there is a new shipment these people who camp at Costco would literally buy every single item so on one can buy it. New shipment comes in? Do the same thing.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #13410
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Milk View Post
Just curious how did the VIP round go? Is everything around $200k already gone?
Just got our allocations - PM me for details. $900/ft.
344 ft and all are still available so realistically $299K units at 25+ stories.

Contracts next week.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #13411
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Just got our allocations - PM me for details. $900/ft.
344 ft and all are still available so realistically $299K units at 25+ stories.

Contracts next week.
I thought it was roughly $3500/floor increase?
$299k for an Urban 1 is leaning on the very expensive side.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:55 PM   #13412
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

^^ that's like one bedroom luxury apartment in HK.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #13413
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

All the starting prices are pretty much lies. There’s probably 1 unit at that price if even

I just bought a presale at university district. 1bed plus den with locker and parking. Roughly $770/sqft
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #13414
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
I bought 46 2l of coke from Wallmart last week. You mad?
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr4l View Post
All the starting prices are pretty much lies. There’s probably 1 unit at that price if even

I just bought a presale at university district. 1bed plus den with locker and parking. Roughly $770/sqft
Is this a rental or you plan to live in it?
This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #13416
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFU_wmc View Post

That's a big claim, if you can generate that sort of return. You should quit RE and work at a P/E firm and print billions of $$$.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #13417
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Is this a rental or you plan to live in it?
Rental. I ain’t living in Surrey
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #13418
I don't get it

What do you guys think will happen with kennedy in charge now? Of course he could lie but even when he did in burnaby he screwed over renters for developers.
Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #13419
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Well it’s pretty obvious he has developed interests in mind as opposed to some of the candidates
Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 AM   #13420
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,513 Posts
Well... this morning on Breakfast TV, he was saying his focus is going to be on affordable rental housing run by non-profits (which already sounds like it's gonna be a gong show to me), and funding to get people into the market (whatever that means). It also sounds like he is going to try and tap into federal funding, but I personally would not have very high hopes about. With the federal election coming next year, JT is going to try and make a whole bunch of big promises in attempt to buy votes, but whether those promises can be delivered depends on the outcome of the federal election.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #13421
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1CED` View Post

there also needs to be a regulation where if you constantly being reported for shitty work, your future build permits will not be issued until you put in some attention into addressing concerns with completed projects
Construction permits are for ensuring the structure is constructed to local building and safety codes.

They are not a QC check for things like dents, knicks and/or if your new dishwasher works properly. That's up to the each developer to regulate and enforce upon themselves.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:52 PM   #13422
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Was in Penticton over the weekend visting the wifes friends and going to an absurd amount of wineries..

Gotta say, Penticton is pretty awesome.. It's got a hipster vibe of nice, boutique stores, all the amenities you could ask for (besides a costco) access to 2 great lakes, affordable housing, etc.

Actually a place i could see myself living potentially
Old 10-24-2018, 10:22 AM   #13423

Looks like interest rate is going up again.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #13424
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Not only did it go up today, but the expectation per BMO's economists is now:
23% chance of another hike Dec 5/18 to 2.00%
80% chance of another hike Jan 9/19 to 2.00%+
86% chance of another hike Mar 6/19 to 2.00%+

Locked in our 5 year fixed a few weeks ago at 3.39%, feeling comfortable with that choice now.

-Mark
Old 10-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #13425
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Good rate. Tried to renew my wife’s mortgage and they offered 3.62!