REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #1426
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,239 Times in 2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
DTES is where it is at. I work in the DTES....the landscape is completely changing. Heck, Main Street used to be a dump and now it is one of the hippest areas to live. Overpriced as well. Fraser and Knight between King Ed and Broadway are the next areas to blow up in Vancouver.
+1.

Main St. beyond 33rd has been transforming over the past few years into a hipster area. If I had the cash I would look to buy a house in that area to be used as a rental property.

The other area I see changing over the next few years is the Punjabi market area. Business is dying because the Punjabi population is shrinking in Vancouver with most EI businesses locating to Surrey. Most of the buildings are owned by EI business people and I'm predicting that we'll see condo developments going up in the near future. It's actually a prefect area for a nice condo project; it's right by Langara and the Skytrain station and the area itself isn't that bad.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #1427
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Disick View Post
+1.

Main St. beyond 33rd has been transforming over the past few years into a hipster area. If I had the cash I would look to buy a house in that area to be used as a rental property.

The other area I see changing over the next few years is the Punjabi market area. Business is dying because the Punjabi population is shrinking in Vancouver with most EI businesses locating to Surrey. Most of the buildings are owned by EI business people and I'm predicting that we'll see condo developments going up in the near future. It's actually a prefect area for a nice condo project; it's right by Langara and the Skytrain station and the area itself isn't that bad.
Do you realize that this 'if we build it, they will come' attitude towards condos is a short term phenomenon?

Who is going to buy places in the Indian area? People who want to live in a condo, but at high prices required nowadays to build it, you'd might as well buy closer it cambie, kits or downtown

Vancouver is not special. It is not different. Currently, you build, they will buy works on 3% mortgage and a feel good hippy song time about real estate! this will all end soon, and it will end ugly - you can't just sprout off a neighbourhood and say 'ya, I see hipsters (most of which live paycheque to paycheque, so no buying real estate from these losers), I wish I could buy there'

Why don't u want to buy in Ladner, they've just released plans to build a replacement for Massey tunnel, that price will be built into real estate there before it gets built, buy now or buy never, this bridge will make mass development come to Ladner/tsawwassen.

If you believe a word of that last sentence,you're either an idiot, or a realtor (same thing) - in the Ladner/tsawwassen case, the fact it's tolled will kill any development, as will the fact that it's one of two significant bottlenecks, the other is still there, also, prices are already way too high there, so by 2017, prices will be lower than they are today
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #1428
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
lol my rental manager got a letter from one of those realtors who spam condo units to use their services to sell. On the letter a photo with a big SOLD on it as "A similar unit that recently sold in your building, this could be you!"

Except the photo was of my apartment, ripped off from the MLS listing my rental manager put up when the landlord was thinking of selling.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:25 AM   #1429
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Don't get me started on that stupid bridge.

I did some reading. Know when the last bridge/tunnel was built in Manhattan? 1960's. We've built 6 billion worth of bridge in the past couple of years, with another 3 billion here in 2017.

"Pave the Fraser. The 21st Century Solution"

It drives bad decisions on real estate. Wasn't the Goldeneye Bridge(come on, we should totally name it that) built solely so people could buy cheap houses in Maple Ridge? Why else would people buy in Maple Ridge?

The Ladner Tsawassen area is a beautiful little area with farms and communities and has been mostly forgotten in the last push of development...so let's build! Own your very own townhome in Burn's Bog! Nature trails that burn! Your cute little house used to be on land that fed Canadians. Novel concept.

We don't even need to look at other countries as an example, but look at Toronto. They have such a glut of condos on the market, that you can't sell existing stock for a decent price. Those people can't then buy up in to the next tier, and it will start to affect the entire real estate market.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #1430
Banned By Establishment

Oh! The condo tower that we were being lured with?

Still flat ground. They leveled the house that was on part of the land more for liability reasons than anything, but not a hint of construction.

I'll be really surprised to see it start construction. This was the tower from pages back that was offering to rent your unit for you for 5 years, or give you a massive rebate on the purchase.

I personally wish they'd put something there, I manage a building down the road from it and hate seeing a vacant lot on my way to the building. Gives the street a Warsaw Poland feeling circa 1939.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #1431
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
they run in to money problems and halted construction?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #1432

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
FWIW: Goldman Sachs warns on 'large correction' in Canada housing
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #1433
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
they run in to money problems and halted construction?
I haven't checked in on it, but my guess would be that they may be having problems selling the required 80-85% of apartments required to secure the construction loan.

Why else would they be cutting 10's of thousands off the price, and renting out apartments for 5 years and making all the incentives to purchase over the summer?

All the New West towers were having problems getting to sold out status. The northbank tower(right next to skytrain) is starting to fit out the lower levels and they are still sending me e-mails telling me how great their views are.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #1434
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I haven't checked in on it, but my guess would be that they may be having problems selling the required 80-85% of apartments required to secure the construction loan.
China people don't want to live in New West. No problems selling out in Richmond and Burnaby.

I kid I kid

Actually, I was shocked to see the rental prices and how much people were trying to flip their units for in this building. Some units are as high as $720/sq ft.

Burnaby Apartments, Chancellor Apartment Development in Burnaby | Polygon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #1435
My homepage has been set to RS

You can't compare Vancouver with New York. You can easily live on Manhattan and not ever have to leave. With the way our land is spread out we need bridges to connect everyone. The Golden Ears was a bridge long time coming... did you ever see the line ups for the Albion ferry? Hours.

As for the tunnel, that too needs to be replaced. There are accidents in it almost daily, the counter flow lane is garbage. It basically creates bad traffic going both ways now instead of just the one way with all the traffic leaving/coming to Richmond (depending on morning/night). I go to school in Ladner and if I leave at 4PM I'm sitting in traffic for an hour to get to #10. It's ridiculous.

Only thing I would add, would be in ADDITION to a bridge there needs to be some sort of light rail. There are so many people going into downtown from that area that it really makes sense. I would like to see a LTR of some sort from Bridgeport skytrain station with a stop in Steveston, Ladner, White Rock and Langley. Just that. Express. No stops every 30 seconds. Similar to what Toronto has. We need transit that brings people in from outlying areas quickly.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #1436
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
China people don't want to live in New West. No problems selling out in Richmond and Burnaby.

I kid I kid
I'm cool with that.

I kid I kid.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #1437
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
Quote:

I kid I kid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I'm cool with that.

I kid I kid.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1438
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I'm cool with that.

I kid I kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
Haha. Time to post in Fight club about this.

Back on topic. I agree with what Falcon said, in that I never want to through the Massey tunnel during rush hour. I use to go to Pt. Roberts after work to pick up my mail, but the traffic was horrible so I ended up switching to using Blaine instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #1439
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Haha. Time to post in Fight club about this.
dems fightin' words, yo!!
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1440

This might be a repost but what do you guys think of the MC2 building on SW Marine? They have a few smaller units left.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:32 PM   #1441
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
This might be a repost but what do you guys think of the MC2 building on SW Marine? They have a few smaller units left.
do you want to live nearby a garbage collection facility and near lumber mills? The smell there gets bad during the summer. Just my two cents.
Posted via RS Mobile
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #1442

Not interested in living there, looking for a rental unit.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #1443
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Can u just buy somewhere already, everything is a 'great investment opportunity, if I had the money' - I always respected your opinion based on some great posts, but now, not so sure.
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #1444

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Do you realize that this 'if we build it, they will come' attitude towards condos is a short term phenomenon?

Who is going to buy places in the Indian area? People who want to live in a condo, but at high prices required nowadays to build it, you'd might as well buy closer it cambie, kits or downtown

Vancouver is not special. It is not different. Currently, you build, they will buy works on 3% mortgage and a feel good hippy song time about real estate! this will all end soon, and it will end ugly - you can't just sprout off a neighbourhood and say 'ya, I see hipsters (most of which live paycheque to paycheque, so no buying real estate from these losers), I wish I could buy there'

Why don't u want to buy in Ladner, they've just released plans to build a replacement for Massey tunnel, that price will be built into real estate there before it gets built, buy now or buy never, this bridge will make mass development come to Ladner/tsawwassen.

If you believe a word of that last sentence,you're either an idiot, or a realtor (same thing) - in the Ladner/tsawwassen case, the fact it's tolled will kill any development, as will the fact that it's one of two significant bottlenecks, the other is still there, also, prices are already way too high there, so by 2017, prices will be lower than they are today
That area is changing and like I said a lot of EI families are moving out. But in general I agree there's better opportunities outside of Vancouver.

I was looking at units in south Surrey and Langley, some really good deals out there but I don't see much of a rentals market and I don't see values of the units going up anytime soon because there's such a supply of units available. Every corner you turn you're seeing a brand condo development going up. And funny you mention Ladner, I have family friends who just unloaded agricultural land around the city hall area for just over $4 million to a Asian developer.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
do you want to live nearby a garbage collection facility and near lumber mills? The smell there gets bad during the summer. Just my two cents.
Posted via RS Mobile
just complain when the smell is too much, like the railroad's excessive noise
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #1446
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,205 Times in 384 Posts
Quote:
Have you done any math?
sdubfid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #1447
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,208 Times in 1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
^ This is definitely prefaced by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic Developer
If there are trees, we will knock them down and replant our environmentally friendly trees in a uniform pattern because landscape
They tore up a group of trees over behind my old neighbourhood. Those trees were a privacy barrier which separated that 'hood from the busy ass David Ave. Connector that runs behind. Now the trees are leveled and I see a sign that implies MOAR BUILDINGS!!! The area is tiny so I imagine it's going to be more anorexic townhouses.

Coshitlam

COSHITLAM

See what I did there?
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1448
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Oh, so instead of bitching about the smell to yourself....you'd rather listen to your tenant bitch about it....if you could even find one in this saturated rental market.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #1449

Lol, you have to put up with the garbage smell or EI/Asian cooking smell in south Vancouver. Pick one.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #1450
Banned By Establishment

Yeeeeeah, I'm not really sure comparing Asian/IE cooking "smell" to a fucking garbage dump is your most eloquent posts.

Do people really bitch about a "cooking smell"?