REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1201
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
To clarify, when I say 'never sell' - I mean in the next 10 years - beyond that, the cost of the tax is immaterial to me.

Of course, if we had another bubble in the US, it may be best to sell. I'll analyze when that time comes
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #1202
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Omfg, go away.

So, income on property is basically tax free, thanks to our friend CCA, in the near term, at least, and interest (100% levered - try doing that on your principle residence)

Capital gains, well, they're taxed at 1/2, which is nice, but I'm not sure I'll ever sell, rather, just take equity out of the properties as they increase in value, tax free - tenants pay for my costs more than handsomely.

As for buying my place and enjoying those tax free gains... Well, there are no gains right now, we're at a top, no gains, so tax efficiency of this is irrelevant, plus would cost me about $700 a month more to buy my place than rent it (not including principal pay down)

Again, you keep on saying I'm bitter that I didn't buy - not at all, I'll repeat what I just said, when prices were reasonable, I was in university, paying for my education, I left uni with no debt and a reasonably nice car, beyond that I have gone into workforce, got way more education,etc. an education that is way more valuable than the increase in real estate of some shitty condo that I would have bought in 2000 after leaving highschool, so nope, not bitter, in fact, even with hindsight, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

So, you can leave now, you've tried to mock me, it has failed
I think I am going to stay, this is amusing me. I love the fact you feel you have to defend yourself.....
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #1203
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
I'll leave it at that, as it just nullified your arguement that Vancouver prices are sustained bc we're a super happy major city

As for raising your kids here, of course, we're not discussing that, Vancouver, being a small hick town, doesn't have the issues of major cities, as such, it's a good place to raise kids.

As for Vancouver vs. other cdn cities, well, ya, that's a no brainer too, I'm an immigrant, and my family moved here, but then again, when I move next, it won't be to another Canadian city,
To be fair, I don't think you can take "quality of life" out of the equation when you're having a discussion about real estate in this city. Yeah, it's hard to quantify in monetary terms, but it's worth something and it's why historically people have been willing to sacrifice salary to live here. However, as we all seem to predict/know, we are reaching a breaking point...
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #1204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
don't feel bad you were born at shitty time. Anyone who bought real estate before 2008 is laughing their asses off!
No, most ppl who bought in 06, 07 wouldn't actually make all that if you consider all the costs of owning the place above rental alternatives and return on the downpayment, less other costs and costs to sell.

You have clearly been drinking the Vancouver sun Kool aid.

You are just saying words now, they're not even backed up with numbers, facts, or finance
Old 09-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #1205

Quote:
I think I am going to stay, this is amusing me. I love the fact you feel you have to defend yourself.....
I'm actually defending myself to belittle you.

Whilst this is just the Internet, you have done a great job of making yourself look really annoying and most likely unwanted in what was, until your attempts to try to look smart, a good thread about the merits of our current bubble
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1206

^ yes, we should all pray to the 4444, the god of real estate investing!

"hey timpo", pass me the kool aid, tastes damn good!
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
To be fair, I don't think you can take "quality of life" out of the equation when you're having a discussion about real estate in this city. Yeah, it's hard to quantify in monetary terms, but it's worth something and it's why historically people have been willing to sacrifice salary to live here. However, as we all seem to predict/know, we are reaching a breaking point...
Posted via RS Mobile
A premium, yes, but that is reflected in the Vancouver vs, Toronto premium

I'm not just arguing that Vancouver is overpriced - all of Canada is significantly overpriced. We'll all go down, once that occurs, Vancouver will likely still be more expensive than Toronto, Calgary, etc, to reflect your point
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #1208
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
don't feel bad you were born at shitty time. Anyone who bought real estate before 2008 is laughing their asses off!
Yeah man, I wish. Bought in 2007. No laughing here.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #1209
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,120 Posts
Quote:
A premium, yes, but that is reflected in the Vancouver vs, Toronto premium

I'm not just arguing that Vancouver is overpriced - all of Canada is significantly overpriced. We'll all go down, once that occurs, Vancouver will likely still be more expensive than Toronto, Calgary, etc, to reflect your point
Yes, all of Canada may be overvalued, but that's because people are still immigrating here and that compared to many countries in the world, people still see Canada as desirable because we have social programs, relatively stable government, and relatively little official discrimination. You have mutilple families living in large houses not only in Surrey, but in Brampton and many other suburbs across the country.

By contrast, the US is a wonderful place to live if you are valuable, have ambition, and can afford to live in a gated community.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #1210
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
By contrast, the US is a wonderful place to live if you are valuable, have ambition, and can afford to live in a gated community.
Posted via RS Mobile
And it can be a nightmare if you're of low or medium income. Canada's a little better, so I see why it's desirable. The overall quality of life is high, but in the states you have the really high highs and the really low lows. (Upper East Side vs. the Bronx, Silicon Valley vs. Oakland, McLean VA vs. southeast DC, the list goes on)
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #1211

Quote:
^ yes, we should all pray to the 4444, the god of real estate investing!

"hey timpo", pass me the kool aid, tastes damn good!
U said it, not me
Old 09-18-2013, 01:12 PM   #1212

Quote:
Yes, all of Canada may be overvalued, but that's because people are still immigrating here and that compared to many countries in the world, people still see Canada as desirable because we have social programs, relatively stable government, and relatively little official discrimination. You have mutilple families living in large houses not only in Surrey, but in Brampton and many other suburbs across the country.

Posted via RS Mobile
Would love to see the stats on this re: immigration as a percentage of population - the US has huge immigration, the current job growth numbers barely covers this, so would love to see who has the biggest in migration
Old 09-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #1213
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
I stay for stupid reasons - I'm hoping to have that changed within a year or two
It's a woman.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #1214
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
Ben Bernake announces no tapering from US Fed. Any comments/thoughts on the implications this has to our interest/mortgage rates?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #1215
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Ben Bernake announces no tapering from US Fed. Any comments/thoughts on the implications this has to our interest/mortgage rates?
Bloody interesting.

Garth Turner has been harping on his blog about the tapering program from the states, and said this last week:

Quote:
There’s a market saying (sort of) that wise people emote on rumour and act on news. This will be news. The speculation that caused the market turmoil over the past few months – tanking bond prices and sideswiping preferreds and REITs at the same time – will be over, as authorities make it crystal what happens next. This probably means bonds will rally and yields drop, at least until everyone starts worrying about inflation.
So the opposite I guess? bond will sink in the states so their 5 year mortgage rates will stay lower. Their stock market will go up, as its more free money.

It's going to be a time to reflect on the fact that even though the economy has been trying to improve in the states, it really hasn't.

I must say, I haven't agreed with people, even buddy Garth here, that the states is "improved". Better than before no doubt, but still a long way to go. They have done nothing to change the system, and as far as I can see, everyone is interested in re-inflating the housing bubble, not moving past it.

Here in Canada...I honestly have no idea. We're in a state where people are calling us world class and house prices go UP when mortgage rates do. So who the fuck knows. I'm sure houses will be more expensive for it. nothing takes them down.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Rates went down, but didn't tank today.

I imagine this is just a 'not now, but soon' so I don't see rates significantly decreasing, as people know its coming.

I was surprised by this news, though - my jaw did drop when I got the alert... But a part of me is glad, as it will ensure jobs continue to be created... But, we need to ween ourselves off of easy money (macro, and micro - *cough* 5% down home buyers *cough*)
Old 09-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #1217
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Rates went down, but didn't tank today.

I imagine this is just a 'not now, but soon' so I don't see rates significantly decreasing, as people know its coming.

I was surprised by this news, though - my jaw did drop when I got the alert... But a part of me is glad, as it will ensure jobs continue to be created... But, we need to ween ourselves off of easy money (macro, and micro - *cough* 5% down home buyers *cough*)
It's kind of interesting though that a lot of people have been saying that you really can't increase the cost of money as the economy is based on it..and guess what?

They can't stop dumping in money because it will sink the economy again.

Taking bets on how long before inflation becomes the next issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #1218
Banned By Establishment

Good...sorry, interesting article(his writing is full of fluff) about financing condo towers.

He's a realtor, so he uses it as a case for buying more condos in Toronto, but interesting.

Condominium Financing | Toronto Real Estate Property Sales & Investments | Toronto Realty Blog by David FlemingToronto Real Estate Property Sales & Investments | Toronto Realty Blog by David Fleming

He uses our financing model to show how safe and secure our condo industry is, when in reality, its safer for banks and developers as the hard part has all been done prior to actually building out the development but for the buyer, it just delays a shock.

I've never really liked the pre-sales bit myself. When I was exposed to it, it left me feeling weird about the house buying process as you are so removed from possession when you actually buy and so many things can change between buying and closing. As in our case, one relationship died and another started in between. You close on this thing and the value isn't even there.

Last edited by Gridlock; 09-19-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #1219
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
This thread is the distillation of all that is confusing about the Vancouver RE market.

RE really is all about timing.. a game to be played. If you lose, you have your life savings wiped out.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #1220

^ I think you are absolutely right.......everyone thinks they are experts on RE and in reality it is about timing and the courage to put your money where your mouth is.......as the saying goes, it is better to be lucky than good.......I love RS RE experts though, they make me laugh......
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #1221

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Vancouver?s Record $39 Million Sale to Royal Signals Peak - Bloomberg
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #1222
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Now all we need is a sale to a Russian oligarch or Kazakh oil billionaire and we can truly say we're just like London or NYC!

...right?!
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #1223
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
I'm going to join in the conversation by asking a question for discussion:

Between West Vancouver and Vancouver West, for around $1.5 million, which city would you choose and why?
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post

Between West Vancouver and Vancouver West, for around $1.5 million, which city would you choose and why?
What could u buy in either for that paltry amount?

That gets you a shithole in EV, in WV or VW, a condo maybe?
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #1225
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post

Although I agree with 4444, I don't agree with not having an opinion and just saying you are basically stupid for even considering. It may not be the way I want to spend my money, but if someone is going to buy, they are going to by.

Like any other property, my decisions would be based on where I work, schools, parks, traffic, blah, blah, blah...

Both areas are nice...but lots in West Van tend to be larger. I'm not sure what else there is to say....West Van has a pretty good pretentious "community" that looks down on the rest of the city and Vancouver west is full of adult hipsters who spend their weekend at MEC, pushing strollers around, and discussing gluten-free-soy-free-animal-and-lactose-free hand picked organic south american quinoa salad recipe.

Better yet....I take the 1.5mil and "invest" in some condo....i hear that RE sector is about to take off
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote