REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #1401
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
I think its gross, but I agree, I don't feel unsafe over there. I feel 1000000000000000000000000000000000x more uncomfortable walking on granville on friday or saturday night going home from work walking past all the drunk fucking buddy guy dipshits taking wild swings into a crowd. The one place in this city I'd never consider living is near the granville downtown dumpster district.
Advertisement
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #1402
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,239 Times in 2,355 Posts
Downtown eastside seems like a good place to investment if you're looking for a long term investment.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #1403
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

^
wanna share the math with us? what's the ROI. i've looked through the MLS and couldn't find any attractive deals.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #1404
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Surprised nobody posted this.
Bank of Canada ends rate hike warning, cuts growth outlook - Business - CBC News

Looks like fundamentals will have to wait.
Oh man, real estate is slow.... It's not about a quick turn back to fundamentals, it takes a long time, then prices will overshoot to the downside

The irony is, people say one thing - everyone wants to live in Canada, economy is strong, banks are conservative, yet the BoC says what they said today, I.e. Economy stinks, we suck, our 'survival of the GFC' was nothing more than kicking the can down the road. In 3-5 years, Canada will go through a significant recession.

I have nothing but time, nothing but time - all those ppl who just jumped the gun to buy will be hurt, and I would expect the next little while house sales to be low - recent months sales were pushed forward, simple as that.

Our economy is hurting - no matter what the politicians say, fundamentals rule all - the BoC is proof we suck
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #1405

Thanked 30,977 Times in 7,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
^
wanna share the math with us? what's the ROI. i've looked through the MLS and couldn't find any attractive deals.
And I don't see them solving the bullshit that surrounds it anytime soon. Once they solve drug addiction and mental health issues, those that are buying 350k condos in the ghetto may make some people a few k. Until then, I see the DTES being one of the worst real estate investments in the country.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #1406
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
And I don't see them solving the bullshit that surrounds it anytime soon. Once they solve drug addiction and mental health issues, those that are buying 350k condos in the ghetto may make some people a few k. Until then, I see the DTES being one of the worst real estate investments in the country.
I think the neighbourhood is already changing dramatically and that's without really tackling the homeless issue. The city/developers do this by continuously building new condos and attracting young urban professionals who want to live near DT. Simultaneously they pretend not to see all the poor residents. As these new people move in, they naturally crowd out the homeless/poor. Just look at Chinatown, the entire atmosphere looks vastly different from just 5 years ago. Give it another 5-10 years and another ten thousand young professionals and things will really pick up imo. Of course this doesn't solve the homeless problem at all, it just kicks it down the road.
FARMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #1407
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
DTES is where it is at. I work in the DTES....the landscape is completely changing. Heck, Main Street used to be a dump and now it is one of the hippest areas to live. Overpriced as well. Fraser and Knight between King Ed and Broadway are the next areas to blow up in Vancouver.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #1408
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
DTES is where it is at. I work in the DTES....the landscape is completely changing. Heck, Main Street used to be a dump and now it is one of the hippest areas to live. Overpriced as well. Fraser and Knight between King Ed and Broadway are the next areas to blow up in Vancouver.
Really? More areas to build up, left empty because of lack of high paying jobs.

Most of those people living in dtes, yaletown, kits, etc etc are rentals because rents aren't unreasonable here.

There is no long term plan in this city, not until we get real jobs
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #1409
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
There is no long term plan in this city, not until we get real jobs
I have to disagree 4444. Long term plan is to build more bikes lanes. The bike lanes will fix everything. Then ticket the drivers driving in the bike/bus only lanes and all that revenue will pay for more bike lanes.

In all seriousness though, I work near the DTES and it isn't working. There are still a lot of empty buildings or buildings that need to be torn down and rebuilt. I pass by Chinatown everyday and only a few stores are actually busy. After 6 pm, it is almost completely deserted.
Even the front door steps to the old police station is fenced in to keep the homeless people from sleeping there.

While there has been some improvements on the DTES, it is much easier for people to move away from there than to move all the DTES people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #1410
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
well they're housing the DTES people with the SRO renovation project to turn the old heritage hotel buildings in the area in to single person living units for people.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #1411

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
well they're housing the DTES people with the SRO renovation project to turn the old heritage hotel buildings in the area in to single person living units for people.
Funny you mention that I went to look at one last week on Cordova before pricing it. The first thing I was told before the meeting started was, "just so you know anybody who's been here more then 3 days in a row has had there vehicle broken it so make an allowance for deductibles".

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #1412

do you work for a general contractor?

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1413

Quote:
do you work for a general contractor?
No we subcontract framing, drywall and acoustical ceilings. We've actually been taking a lot more scope on over the last few years and I can see the GC getting phased out as in we don't really need them they are nothing more then a project manager and money broker now a days, way different then 20ish years ago when I started.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #1414

I see. Was wondering because we looked at one on Cordova too 1 or 2 weeks ago for electrical

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #1415
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

http://thethunderbird.ca/2013/04/04/...-in-vancouver/

some pretty interesting graphs in this article.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1416
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
"We have a lovely view of the mountains from our home, we just can't afford to go there."
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #1417
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post

In all seriousness though, I work near the DTES and it isn't working. There are still a lot of empty buildings or buildings that need to be torn down and rebuilt. I pass by Chinatown everyday and only a few stores are actually busy. After 6 pm, it is almost completely deserted.
Even the front door steps to the old police station is fenced in to keep the homeless people from sleeping there.

While there has been some improvements on the DTES, it is much easier for people to move away from there than to move all the DTES people.
Drove by Chinatown/Hastings a few weeks and notice that a ton of empty buildings and also not much traffic at all. When about 10years ago you can still see people walking around china town and where the library is (there use to be a library near chinatown opposite of RBC).

It seems to me the issue is getting worse.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #1418

Quote:
I see. Was wondering because we looked at one on Cordova too 1 or 2 weeks ago for electrical
Might have been the same job, Heritage building?

Last edited by quasi; 10-29-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #1419

yeh

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #1420
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
maybe it's me, but I kinda like the edginess of the Downtown eastside. When you go out, it nice to be somewhere different than Yaletown or Granville.....definitely has grit and character.

I never feel usnsafe on the downtown eastside though

I never feel unsafe living on the 100 block of Cordova street East.

Walking around Granville street late on a Friday or Saturday night is much, much more dangerous for random violence, IMO.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #1421
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Drove by Chinatown/Hastings a few weeks and notice that a ton of empty buildings and also not much traffic at all. When about 10years ago you can still see people walking around china town and where the library is (there use to be a library near chinatown opposite of RBC).

It seems to me the issue is getting worse.
Carnegie Library is still there.
I still see lots of sketchy looking/smelling people at the Waves/Dollar store/ and other businesses around that Pender/Main st. area.

I think a lot of traffic also avoid that Hastings area because 1) the 30 km/h speed limit for the 6 blocks in the DTES and 2) construction on Cordova near Clark. That area is blocked off so cars getting onto Cordova have to do it east of Clark street. Instead, drivers are taking alternative routes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #1422
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
No we subcontract framing, drywall and acoustical ceilings. We've actually been taking a lot more scope on over the last few years and I can see the GC getting phased out as in we don't really need them they are nothing more then a project manager and money broker now a days, way different then 20ish years ago when I started.
Power or Regency?
Posted via RS Mobile
leilomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #1423
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Carnegie Library is still there.
I still see lots of sketchy looking/smelling people at the Waves/Dollar store/ and other businesses around that Pender/Main st. area.

I think a lot of traffic also avoid that Hastings area because 1) the 30 km/h speed limit for the 6 blocks in the DTES and 2) construction on Cordova near Clark. That area is blocked off so cars getting onto Cordova have to do it east of Clark street. Instead, drivers are taking alternative routes.
I personally think its all these signs that they hung up and down Hastings.

Kind of kills the tourism aspect you know?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Kind of kills the tourism aspect you know?
not for fans of the walking dead.

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #1425
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
"Does anyone know the cause of this zombie apocolypse?"

Yeah bro, are you looking for a fancier answer than, "heroine is tasty"?

Ask Cory Monteith. He did the tour.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote