REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1251
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
i'd advise all, on both sides of the fence to watch, this guy certainly knows his stuff:

BNN Video Player
Advertisement
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #1252
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
^for a guy who "knows his stuff" he sure seems to say "I don't know" a lot. Now I would much rather someone say "I don't know", instead of spewing bullshit, but I really didn't get much info out of that interview.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #1253
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
i'd advise all, on both sides of the fence to watch, this guy certainly knows his stuff:

BNN Video Player
I'm going to disagree with you there...that guy spoke a lot and said nothing.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #1254
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
^for a guy who "knows his stuff" he sure seems to say "I don't know" a lot. Now I would much rather someone say "I don't know", instead of spewing bullshit, but I really didn't get much info out of that interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
This guy is Robert Schiller of the Dow Jones Case-Schiller Index.

S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices - S&P Dow Jones Indices
Case?Shiller index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are uncertainties in investments, and anyone who is CERTAIN about the future of an equity is either an idiot or trying to sell you something. Every investment has risk, and understanding that the outcome may not be the most probable one is something that separates the pros from the masses.

An expert of Schiller's level saying "I don't know" is a sign of true knowledge. Spouting off about bubble this and bull market that as if they were set in stone is for amateurs.
MoBettah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #1255
Banned By Establishment

Seriously? That's what it takes to impress you?

Not to go on a tangent here, but Mr. Yale, why don't you discuss a little bit on the fundamentals of income vs. price or a little something that people don't know about real estate.

I agree with you. I don't need another dick head to sit there and make his branded predictions. That helps no one, but you can go a little further into it. Jesus, the best part was talking about the commercial landlord guy that wasn't even on the show. Double. Nice.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #1256
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Seriously? That's what it takes to impress you?

Not to go on a tangent here, but Mr. Yale, why don't you discuss a little bit on the fundamentals of income vs. price or a little something that people don't know about real estate.

I agree with you. I don't need another dick head to sit there and make his branded predictions. That helps no one, but you can go a little further into it. Jesus, the best part was talking about the commercial landlord guy that wasn't even on the show. Double. Nice.
I guess Shiller knowing he is on BNN didn't try to go into fundamental data as most viewers on that show are probably already aware of it. He is just saying be very cautious if you are going to buy a house in vanouver or toronto as with any investment real estate market goes through cycles.

We pretty much went on a 10 year bull market since 03, so it shouldn't surprise people if we have a 3-4s year of price decline. The irrational exuberance will eventually wear off but it is difficult to call a top.

Just look at the stock market. Who did the most buying at the peak in 2006? Your typical retailer investors of course. Then like clockwork they puked all of it out at March 2009 bottom. The cycle always repeat itself. People buy at the top, sell at the bottom. If it doesn't work like that I don't know how am I going to make a living.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1257

We know Schiller knows his stuff, and as was mentioned, anyone who says anything with certainty is a liar, and idiot, and a fool. he was warning of the risks and rebuking some claims of "Toronto single family housing doubling in 10 years" which are just absolutely crazy
Old 09-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1258
Banned By Establishment

Vancouver economy to slow down: Conference Board | News1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Vancouver’s economy is expected to moderate this year, according to a forecast from the Conference Board of Canada. It predicts local gross domestic product will rise by 2.2 per cent this year, down 4/10ths of a point from last year.

The think-tank says “The slowdown will be widespread, as growth in the goods sector will be very tame, mainly because of much slower growth in manufacturing and construction activity.” It adds that slower growth will also affect employment.

The board also says growth in the service sector will be “relatively modest, dragged down by an anticipated contraction” in public sector administration.

Nonetheless, Vancouver is expected to have the fifth-best growth behind Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #1259

Quote:
I assume you made that comment without realizing that this isn't just 'some guy'

I agree, if I take his words, it would be meaningless... But that wasn't me
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #1260

Quote:
Vancouver economy to slow down: Conference Board | News1130

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) – Vancouver’s economy is expected to moderate this year, according to a forecast from the Conference Board of Canada. It predicts local gross domestic product will rise by 2.2 per cent this year, down 4/10ths of a point from last year.

The think-tank says “The slowdown will be widespread, as growth in the goods sector will be very tame, mainly because of much slower growth in manufacturing and construction activity.” It adds that slower growth will also affect employment.

The board also says growth in the service sector will be “relatively modest, dragged down by an anticipated contraction” in public sector administration.

Nonetheless, Vancouver is expected to have the fifth-best growth behind Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton and Calgary.
Economy stinks here. Think tanks can say what they want, but in the end of the day, CA Firms are laying off people due to lack of work, good jobs are nonexistent.

Government spending will be the only thing that keeps us out of a recession
Old 09-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #1261
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,136 Times in 2,391 Posts
More from Shiller Robert Shiller: Canada heading into slow-motion housing bust | Financial Post
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #1262
Banned By Establishment

I never once thought that "the" crisis was going to be, or would be "the" at all. We are heading into a tumultuous period of economic change. If recessions can be thought to be a normal part of the economic system, then so to can corrections.

You'll see improvement and decline for a lot longer than people cared to admit in 2008/09. Am I predicting economic collapse? No. Not at all.

My problem is no one tried to solve the actual problems, they tried to firefight them and re-inflate the bubble. We did one better in Canada and tried to, what was it, soft land the bubble? Banks are actually bigger than before, hello JP MorganChase, I'm talking about you. They are right back to the same old games...and its hard! When the games are working, its fucking great! Here's a big phat house, now at a bargain compared to a few years ago, at a cheaper mortgage than ever before! We're rolling in profits, and apparently that trickles down somewhere, so its all good.

No jail, minimal fines and evryone that survived got to buy their competition for half the price.

Even worse is Canada motoring along like it doesn't matter. If you can't see at this point that we have a condo problem, then you are blind.

So to relate all this in, both discussion of the economy AND the interview,you'll forgive me if I don't care who this guy is, because on this day, he really had nothing to say. Yes, I will grant you that someone with his credentials saying, "I don't know what happens" is bigger than me saying "I don't know what happens".

That's fine. We don't need more jackoffs on tv making predictions. Can find them anywhere. I need these guys yelling from the roof tops about what HAS happened. Because no one gets it. No one understands where we've been and what has happened to get us there.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #1263
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
That's better!

Key paragraph right here:

Quote:
The latest report by the Canadian Real Estate Association reported that average home prices were up 4% in August, sales were down 5.8%. Meanwhile, the country’s unemployment rate stood at 7.3%.
People are spending more to buy less houses at a time when they could be unemployed.

People are too fucking house horny. I saw every dream house in my neighborhood go on sale this summer. I get it! You walk by and you say, "this is the type of house that NEVER goes on sale..now is the time!" Seriously, every single one.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #1264
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #1265

"I didn't sleep for 45 days"

Typical realtor, lying through his teeth (I know he was exaggerating)

Also, good work global bc, because this is truly 'news' - it was probably their leading story - fuck the chemical weapons in Syria, fuck the hostage situation in Africa.... High price real estate, that's news!!!

(Sarcasm, if it didn't come across)
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #1266
Banned By Establishment

I used to like Global. We used to watch the 11 o'clock news regularly, realizing that it wasn't particularly hard hitting, but actually liking the lighter flavour.

However, they are NEVER hard hitting. Their stories are blatantly one sided, and I started noticing it whenever the issue of landlord/tenant stuff came up. Like...you're just wrong. And if you are just wrong here, then you are just wrong in a lot of places.

And they are doing a disservice to news in BC. We are down to a two-party system, which may as well be a one party system right now if we need to rely on the NDP for anything...we need quality news!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #1267
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:

And they are doing a disservice to news in BC. We are down to a two-party system, which may as well be a one party system right now if we need to rely on the NDP for anything...we need quality news!
Dude, its not like Global is the ONLY news outlet....you can watch CTV, CBC, the 24 hour news channel, any number of american news outlets, msnbc, cnn, etc...

On top of that, you can go online and read anything about anything.

I like global because its light, funny, anti-doomsday, and visually pleasing...just don't take it as the only source of news. If people do, that is their own fault.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #1268
Banned By Establishment

I like doomsday style news. It makes me feel happy I survived another day on this wretched rock, right before I go nighty-night.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #1269
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,163 Times in 1,548 Posts
Looks like people forgot to do their research that if you move near a train track, then there's going to be trains. Good luck unloading those properties, now that media attention has been brought to that issue.

All three levels of government expected to respond to complaints about noise levels | News1130
Quote:
NEW WESTMINSTER (NEWS1130) – People in New West are fed up with noise being caused by the city’s many rail lines, now they’re taking steps to do something about it.

Train noise is causing a number of complaints from residents and now all three levels of government are responding.

The city has a number of rail lines close to residential areas including Westminster Quay.

Local MP Peter Julian is hosting the town hall Thursday evening and says people have a right to be upset.

“We’re seeing a lot of shunting and idling even at 2 o’clock or 3 o’clock in the morning when you’ve got thousands of people living within a few hundred metres of the actual yard itself.”

The event aims to develop a strategy with all three levels of government.

He admits nothing else has worked so far.

“It doesn’t make sense the railways aren’t willing to cooperate and modify their activities but unfortunately, the railways have not been cooperative.”

New Westminster councillor Chuck Puchmayr says some concerns have been simmering for a while.

“For quite a few years, there has been a growing concern about whistling and whistle cessation is one of the things that we’re diligently working on as a city with the railways.”

He says most rules governing railways including noise restrictions happen at a federal level which is why it’s important for all levels to unite.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #1270
Banned By Establishment

^
This shit pisses me off. We live in the "Brow of The Hill" neighbourhood of New West, so really not that far from these train tracks and I can tell you that they are some times loud....because there are trains on train tracks! Funny how that works.

These condos are literally on top of these track. In fact, you need to cross one of two bridges to get OVER the train tracks to the Quayside area (where all these tracks are). What the fuck did these people expect?! This area is literally a small sliver of land between, like, 6 train tracks and the Fraser River....where we can hear nightly ship horns (wait for these complaints to start). It should not have been a surprise.

These people can suck a dick.

Look at the view from almost every window...its not like these things were hidden when people bought: V1020471, # 10 1 RENAISSANCE SQ, New Westminster, British Columbia $ V3M0B6

Last edited by dinosaur; 10-03-2013 at 09:48 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #1271
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
540k, lol. u wot m8?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #1272
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
540k, lol. u wot m8?
with a $414 strata fee
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #1273
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Thats to keep the trains blowing their horns at night.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #1274

Concord Pacific unveils plans for new False Creek neighbourhood | Real Estate and Development | Business in Vancouver!

yay, loads more condos in vancouver!!! just what we need.

oh, my bad, we need jobs, not construction jobs, but actual jobs for the people who will buy these apartments to work in.

this city is a joke
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1275
Banned By Establishment

This is annoying, but I'll get you to the crux of the problem. From that article,

Quote:
The city has a number of rail lines close to residential areas including Westminster Quay.
No. NO.

What you have is a number of residential buildings next to rail lines.

Small, yet vital difference. If I move into a place that's next to a rail line, expect that kittens aren't going to lick the trains together.

I'd like to see some type of mutual agreement to bring them back into harmony, and I think it should be funded by residents of that area.

But guaranteed, it will be "I paid 600,000 with a peek a boo view...my mortgage is too damn high" and put it on everyone else to solve their problem so that they have a nice pad, with killer water views and no train noise.