REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #1226
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
West Van has a pretty good pretentious "community" that looks down on the rest of the city and Vancouver west is full of adult hipsters who spend their weekend at MEC, pushing strollers around, and discussing gluten-free-soy-free-animal-and-lactose-free hand picked organic south american quinoa salad recipe.
don't worry, you get snobs in parts of east van too...they tend to forget...they're in east van

Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 AM   #1227
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
^^ those are nouveau snob and van west spill-over....maybe a little Gen-Y, late Gen-X hipsters.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #1228
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
What could u buy in either for that paltry amount?

That gets you a shithole in EV, in WV or VW, a condo maybe?
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or pretentious, but 1.5M in EV can land you a pretty damn nice house in a good area. Nice is all relative, but we're not talking about the 650k 'value' properties from a couple pages back either.

Would I spend 1.5M on a nice house in EV? No because its still EV. Would I spend 1.5M on a house in VW? No, because those are usually not much better than the 650k Knight St. specials. That and I'm not in the 1.5M home market either
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #1229
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
don't worry, you get snobs in parts of east van too...they tend to forget...they're in east van

LOL, I seen that tattoo on a guy the other day coffee almost came out my nose. Nice no sleeves nice tattoo...........

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 09-21-2013 at 12:42 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #1230
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,488 Posts
about as bad as the time my friend saw some dude with THUG LIFE tatooed on the back of his neck, i didn't believe him so he took a pic...i lol'd

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #1231
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Monument for East Vancouver is an art installation by Ken Lum.

Lum is a conceptual artist generally concerned with issues of identity, and a Chinese-Canadian who was born and raised in Vancouver. He's among the most highly acclaimed artists ever to come from the Lower Mainland. I'm not sure whether the East Van cross symbol is originally by Lum, but the monument itself is a pretty highly respected piece in the art world.

It's interesting to hear peoples' opinions of it.

Here's a full-shot of it.

MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #1232
SardaukarMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Spoiler!
I'm not sure whether the East Van cross symbol is originally by Lum, but the monument itself is a pretty highly respected piece in the art world.

Spoiler!

Quote:
THERE’S NO DISPUTE over the copyright of the East Van cross at Sixth Avenue and Clark, according to Vancouver artist Ken Lum, who based the art piece on a symbol that he said has been around for decades.

The Vancouver Sun reported today (July 12) that Rocco Dipopolo, who they say is a former Hells Angel prospect, approached a Commercial Drive business owner who was displaying photos of the East Van cross, claiming he copyrighted the symbol.

Lum said the City of Vancouver owns the trademark on the neon cross design, which is officially titled Monument for East Vancouver.

“I don’t think this is much of a dispute,” he told the Straight in a phone interview.

“The city owns that particular trademark, so he doesn’t have it.”

The artist said he has not been contacted directly by Dipopolo.

Dipopolo told the Sun that the cross dates back to the early 1990s, when it was used by a club that he was a member of.

But Lum said according to some Vancouver residents he has spoken to, the cross dates back to at least the late 1940s, meaning the symbol “well precedes” its adoption by any East Van gang.

“You talk to a lot of people, they’ll remember that symbol as being around a long time—a lot longer than the 1990s,” he said.

Lum noted he also modified the original symbol, by rounding the corners of the cross. While he said there have been many variations on the cross over the years, it has almost always featured hard corners.

He said it’s the modified version that has been copyrighted by the city.

“It now belongs to the City of Vancouver, which I think is proper,” he said.

“It’s part of the history of the city. So I don’t think anyone should be able to own that sign, not even myself.”

Lum remembers seeing the symbol as a child in East Vancouver. The artist lived in Strathcona until he was seven years old, and then moved to the Knight and Kingsway area. He recalls seeing it frequently around East Vancouver in the 60s, and occasionally in the 70s.

“It was always a marker of East Van,” he said.

“It was never formalized as a physical form, and that’s what makes it so interesting was that it had this kind of organic life you might say of appearing and then re-appearing over the decades.”

“It just had this kind of staying power,” he added.
East Van cross symbol has been around for decades, says Vancouver artist Ken Lum | Georgia Straight
2002 Volkswagen GTI 337 in Reflex Silver (SOLD)
2007 Suzuki SV650N in Oort Grey (SOLD)
seakrait is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #1233
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I don't know if you're being sarcastic or pretentious, but 1.5M in EV can land you a pretty damn nice house in a good area. Nice is all relative, but we're not talking about the 650k 'value' properties from a couple pages back either.

Would I spend 1.5M on a nice house in EV? No because its still EV. Would I spend 1.5M on a house in VW? No, because those are usually not much better than the 650k Knight St. specials. That and I'm not in the 1.5M home market either
Not being pretentious, just messing around (but really, there are $1m plus crack shacks in the EV), can you buy a house for $1.5m in VW or WV?

I got not beef with the EV, it's not for me, but if they sorted out some quality transit options into downtown, many parts of the EV could be turned on its head

But moonbeam is more interested in bike lanes than actual valid transit for the masses
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #1234
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,934 Times in 494 Posts
Was trolling around mls.ca and found some great houses with a lot of land.

Most are "as is" but some have some nice updates inside.

The area that do have $1 to $1.5 million "average to good" houses in West Van are around Cypress Hills, Top of BP near Collingwood (NE BP) Glenmore, Caulfeild (yes, spelled that way), Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, and Gleneagles.

For example:

Glenmore:
Property Search

Caulfeild and Cypress Hills:
Property Search

Horseshoe Bay and Gleneagles:
Property Search

Looks like there are houses that are actually reasonable in West Van.

Total of around 60+ properties.
------------------

For Vancouver West, here are some listings:
Property Search

Around 25 properties.

-----------------

I think, based on lot size, and sq. footage, West Van wins, and has more selection.

I think it is because the price in West Van hasn't appreciated as much as Vancouver West.

------------------

West Van:

Pros
Bigger land/lot size, on average 2-3 times bigger
Nearer to Whistler and hiking and local mountains
Nearby access to the highway
Hasn't appreciated as much as Vancouver West
Houses in the $1.5 mill range are more updated than $1.5mill houses in Vancouver West.
Some of the houses in the $1.5mill range are actually UPDATED to an extent.

Cons
Land is often hilly and slanted and contain many trees and/or rock outcroppings.
Lions Gate Bridge traffic is atrocious most of the time.
Fewer restaurants.
No nearby night-life/party locations.

Vancouver

Pros
Nearer to amenities
More local events
More restaurants
Night-life/party locations
Better transit system
Land is flat
Coach houses permissible for 95% of residential zones

Cons
At the $1.5 mill range, houses are not as updated (if at all)
Population density is denser
Farther away from North Shore outdoor activities

Last edited by Marshall Placid; 09-23-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Marshall Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #1235
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Home sales surge in August as buyers take advantage of low interest rates
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1236
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Literally buying at the top of the market.

Rates bump up anywhere else and prices go down. Here? Prices go up and more people buy.

Good times.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #1237
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
^^ Foreign buyers like to come and shop when it's warm here.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #1238

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
^^ Foreign buyers like to come and shop when it's warm here.
It's true.

My realtor said the same exact thing.

When a foreign major event happens (that is detrimental to their net worth or financial well being), the sales of $1 mill+ homes drop precipitously.

Something like... China's change in power (I think it's a once in a decade thing... forgot), then the foreign buyers get apprehensive and stop buying (for a while at least).
Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #1239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Placid View Post
It's true.

My realtor said the same exact thing.

When a foreign major event happens (that is detrimental to their net worth or financial well being), the sales of $1 mill+ homes drop precipitously.

Something like... China's change in power (I think it's a once in a decade thing... forgot), then the foreign buyers get apprehensive and stop buying (for a while at least).
Or, more realistically, people are buying before their preapproved low mortgage rate goes up...

Always with the china angle... Vancouver ppl never change their tune
This post thanked by:
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Or, more realistically, people are buying before their preapproved low mortgage rate goes up...

Always with the china angle... Vancouver ppl never change their tune
Yes, I agree with you.

My post above specifically is for foreign buyers.

I was not commenting on the general public.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #1241
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There was a post in the looming US government shutdown thread by iEatclams I wanted to share:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
The cities are just milking it right now with all the new development they are approving. new developments = more tax $money for the city.

I work in a field related to commercial and multi-family real estate. The fact is, Vancouver has some of the most expensive commercial/industrial and office prices in the world. This is more related to the RE Bubble thread, but many are saying there's also a bubble in Vancouver's non-residential real estate market.

There is simply too little supply of Office/commercial and retail spaces in core areas in the lower mainland. Too much residential development and too little industrial/office and commercial. What use to be zoned as Commercial or light industrial gets approved by city planners to turn it into a high-rise tower or some in-fill residential complex.

for fck sakes, build some more retail/commercial please!
vacancy is super low and rent rates are too damn high for any businesses to start here. Make it competitive.

end rant//
Someone told me AAA office space in downtown is $40/sf. This city's addiction to real estate is pushing businesses out to the suburbs, for example to sprawling business parks. With the huge cuts in bus service to suburbs in the last couple of years, it goes against the messages of transit use and density that municipalities want to foster. I mean, there's Metrotower III and the new office tower in New West, but it's not nearly enough.

And don't even get me started on the anti-density NIMBYs in Marpole and Grandview-Woodlands!
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #1242
Banned By Establishment

This has been my concern for Vancouver for years. Not that I'm any great Nostradamus of commercial real estate, as it takes grade two math to do subtraction: available commercial land-more and more taken for condos=Vancouver becoming its own bedroom community.

Everyone wants to live in downtown Vancouver but no one wants to work there anymore. People commute OUT of downtown.

Burnaby is working it out. Down along the Frazer is nice combination of housing in one area, then a beautiful industrial park towards new west. Vancouver proper should be promoting the Clark drive industrial park, and by promoting I mean incentives to build close to downtown, on affordable land with ample transit and parking everywhere. But its being eaten away with condos. Start along Hastings, then move up, I'm sure.

Condos are like a cash crop in this city. It's all good when people like them, but when too many farmers plant, its hard to plow them under.

That was an excellent bloody analogy up there
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #1243
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Well, basic planning 101 is to build around transportation hubs.

soo far, many cities are not doing that. Yes burnaby has that one stretch along marine way, but there's not many buses or easily accessible transit in that area.

Vancouver - yes they are building around certain skytrain stations, but definitely not enough.

broadway station: I sure as hell can see two or three mid-rise office towers there. There's some office space on 8th by milestones, but why not turn that area into more mixed use commercial and res? or around bestbuy and home depot? or the areas east of there.

renfrew station: glad they are finally doing something here. once you build it, people will come if it's along a skytrain. There's soo many companies here, with leases filling up fast. I'm glad they are expanding it but wished it was developed even further.

here's a legitimate complaint. how about Royal Oak station? what do they build there? A stupid 4 storey low-rise, (i think it's called Kabana). why not build another commercial, mixed use hub there?

or lets talk about metrotown: station square has 5 towers coming up, along with the 4-5 highrises being built around metrotown, with quite a few on the south side of beresford. Around metrotown mall we have Silver, metroplace, chancellor, sovereign, The MET, jewel 1 & 2. Moda. We are talking about 13-16 new or recent residential towers around metrotown, yet only one new office tower is coming up: Metro tower 3?? wow. are you fucking kidding me? Same goes for the Brentwood area. Lots of residential, nothing for the businesses.

clark drive industrial district: IMHO, I'd like to see that clark drive industrial district left as light industrial and/or commercial. I do not want to see residential in that area at all. Once Residential goes in, then it all starts to fall as more and more industrial land gets taken away for high-rises.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #1244

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Jezzz ball so hard...
http://globalnews.ca/news/864305/vancouver-property-worth-55-million-dollars-makes-the-biggest-residential-real-estate-deal-in-canadian-history/
Posted via RS Mobile
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #1245
Banned By Establishment

LOL...when you are buying an apartment that sets a Canadian record on price...do you honestly expect that another guy is going to come along and take that record over from you by buying it?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #1246
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
LOL...when you are buying an apartment that sets a Canadian record on price...do you honestly expect that another guy is going to come along and take that record over from you by buying it?
well real estate never goes down, so im sure he's thinking it will appreciate 10% a year, he doesn't want to be priced out of the market . . . . . it's buy now or buy never!

buy at the peak, sell it even higher!
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #1247
Banned By Establishment

Vancouver...home of mountains, but no peaks!
This post thanked by:
Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Vancouver...home of mountains, but no peaks!
Fantastic!
Old 09-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #1249

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
I bet another Middle Eastern prince will spend even more money in another building and buy up 5 floors just to top this guy... Maybe we'll see a rise in real estate due to oil-rich princes instead of swetshop-rich Asians....

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #1250
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
I bet another Middle Eastern prince will spend even more money in another building and buy up 5 floors just to top this guy...
And where there's Middle Eastern princes...there's over-the-top supercars. Gee I wonder who's going to buy the Huayra?
TatsuyaKataoka is offline   Reply With Quote