REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #17151
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Looked at a house in North Vancouver today. 1.3 million and the seller had 70 parties to show this past weekend. I am not even going to bother to try an offer. This range of the market is too ridiculous.
Probably sold for 1.5 million without conditions
Advertisement
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #17152
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
covid has really messed markets up

not even just re here, the housing crunch in the US, then look at the pricing of certain electronics, and used cars/trucks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #17153
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash13 View Post
Looked at a house in North Vancouver today. 1.3 million and the seller had 70 parties to show this past weekend. I am not even going to bother to try an offer. This range of the market is too ridiculous.
Probably way underpriced to elicit as much action and offers as possible. I haven’t seen much on the north shore go for under 1.5 or 1.6 lately. What comparables did your realtor send?
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #17154
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
My buddy was looking at a house in Pitt meadows, nothing special and he’s a first time buyer just looking to get into the market. How was unrenovared mostly original rancher/bungalow style

Believe it was listed at like 910, his realtor recommended puting in an offer over asking if around 940, offered 944, ended up getting 20+ offers and selling at 1.12 lol.. for Pitt meadows
Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 AM   #17155
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
crazy times....

put the house for sale at $1,499,900.

showed up on realty.ca on Jan 6th.

had a viewing next morning Jan 7th 11:30am

got the offer from those viewers Jan 7th 4pm. ($1,465,000)

... wife delisted it ... but confident if we countered with $1,490,000 it would have been sold.... a 4hr sales cycle.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #17156
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Why did you delist it the day after listing it and getting a near full price offer?

-Mark
Old 01-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #17157

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Why did you delist it the day after listing it and getting a near full price offer?

-Mark
Cause listed price means absolutely nothing nowadays. Even though i understand that a seller wants to make as much as possible on their investment(i would to) but its getting kinda ridiculous with no real rules in play. Correct me if im wrong but i thought selling realtors werent allowed to start bidding wars with the highest bidders.....

When i was buying i asked my realtor whats gonna stop the seller from going to the 2nd highest bidder to try and beat my offer then going back and forth. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "hopefully they dont do that...."
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #17158
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
Cause listed price means absolutely nothing nowadays. Even though i understand that a seller wants to make as much as possible on their investment(i would to) but its getting kinda ridiculous with no real rules in play. Correct me if im wrong but i thought selling realtors werent allowed to start bidding wars with the highest bidders.....
Why wouldn't they?

Isn't that the whole point of capitalism?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #17159

For those looking to buy/sell detached, inventory is at a decade low... Expect entry detached to go up another 10-15% this year...
Old 01-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #17160
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Quote:

When i was buying i asked my realtor whats gonna stop the seller from going to the 2nd highest bidder to try and beat my offer then going back and forth. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "hopefully they dont do that...."
It's probably unethical especially when bids get above asking, but certainly not illegal.

I'm not sure how this would change, I certainly wouldn't support any arrangement that automatically obligates a seller to sell to anyone whether listed price is is satisfied or not. As a seller it's ultimately your property and you should be able to turn down or ignore offers for any reason.

Keep in mind, that some realtors do have protections in their service agreements that they're obligated to receive commission if they receive offers at or above listing price even if the owner doesn't accept those offers. That I'm OK with.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #17161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
crazy times....

put the house for sale at $1,499,900.

showed up on realty.ca on Jan 6th.

had a viewing next morning Jan 7th 11:30am

got the offer from those viewers Jan 7th 4pm. ($1,465,000)

... wife delisted it ... but confident if we countered with $1,490,000 it would have been sold.... a 4hr sales cycle.
I had a neighbour list their house for 1.3M. After the open house weekend they had a subject free offer of 1.35M. 2 weeks after delisting the property (they were planning to move up but changed their minds) the buyers agent called to offer more $ just in case they were still interested in moving. They declined. This was back in Oct. A similar house a few blocks over just sold for 1.55M this week...
Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 AM   #17162

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
covid has really messed markets up

not even just re here, the housing crunch in the US, then look at the pricing of certain electronics, and used cars/trucks
Even pre covid it was bad, there was very little inventory Fall/Winter of 2019 I know because I was in the market at the time. I thought I ended up over paying but the way the markets shaken out over the last year I guess not.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #17163
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
It's probably unethical especially when bids get above asking, but certainly not illegal.
Definitely not unethical. There can be many factors.
Maybe they listed below market to get more people into the open house.

It's like saying its unethical for BAT to keep taking bids on cars that is past the reserve price.

End of the day, it's the selling agents job to get their clients as much money as they can.
Grand scheme of things, it's only a few hundred/thousand in commission vs a happy customer who recommends them to others and gets more business down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:06 PM   #17164
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd feel like a piece of shit if I rejected someone offering the full asking price for my place. I'm glad buying a place is something you maybe do a couple times in your life because dealing with 'priced for a bidding war' would drive me nuts.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #17165

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Townhouses still seem pretty active too.

Some colleagues sold their modern, narrow/long townhome in 1 day over asking. 6 offers and 20 showings.

I've seen two units go for above asking in our old complex in less than two weeks. One similar unit sold for 35K more than our selling price just 6 months ago.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #17166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Townhouses still seem pretty active too.

Some colleagues sold their modern, narrow/long townhome in 1 day over asking. 6 offers and 20 showings.

I've seen two units go for above asking in our old complex in less than two weeks. One similar unit sold for 35K more than our selling price just 6 months ago.
Again, asking price doesn't mean anything if the sellers list a low price to drive interest.
Best if to look at recent comparables.
Timing wise it is good as we get closer to spring. Adding low mortgage rates and people are sick of living in a smaller home while working from home can definitely add to why people are looking to move up.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #17167

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Definitely not unethical. There can be many factors.
Maybe they listed below market to get more people into the open house.

It's like saying its unethical for BAT to keep taking bids on cars that is past the reserve price.

End of the day, it's the selling agents job to get their clients as much money as they can.
Grand scheme of things, it's only a few hundred/thousand in commission vs a happy customer who recommends them to others and gets more business down the road.
Listing abnormally low with no intention to sell at that price is bargaining in bad faith. That's literally the definition of unethical.

It's like setting a reserve on a car, and still refusing to sell even if that reserve is met.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #17168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Listing abnormally low with no intention to sell at that price is bargaining in bad faith. That's literally the definition of unethical.

It's like setting a reserve on a car, and still refusing to sell even if that reserve is met.
OP's question was about the selling agent going to the second highest bidder and offering them a chance to give a higher bid.

His exact words
Quote:
Correct me if im wrong but i thought selling realtors werent allowed to start bidding wars with the highest bidders.....

Now if the seller themselves are asking a realtor to list the unit and then decide not to sell, then that's another topic.
But it would appear it's happened a few times in this chat as people decided not to sell for many reasons.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-25-2021, 12:40 PM   #17169

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Again, asking price doesn't mean anything if the sellers list a low price to drive interest.
Best if to look at recent comparables.
Timing wise it is good as we get closer to spring. Adding low mortgage rates and people are sick of living in a smaller home while working from home can definitely add to why people are looking to move up.
With respect to the three properties I mentioned, the asking prices were set above comparable sales from last spring and summer, including the unit that we sold.

The comparables have increased in price by anywhere from 2-5% in about 6 months. That's nothing to slouch at.... that's the cost of a flooring or other minor renovation.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:10 PM   #17170
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,728 Times in 895 Posts
Why would anyone go through the effort of dressing and listing up their house then remove it a day later after getting a good offer?? Wouldn't the realtor bitch you out for all the work they did, photography everything. Sounds like a dick move.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 01:33 PM   #17171
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd feel like a piece of shit if I rejected someone offering the full asking price for my place. I'm glad buying a place is something you maybe do a couple times in your life because dealing with 'priced for a bidding war' would drive me nuts.
They got an offer 4 hours after viewing at pretty much the asking price. All they needed to do was come back with a counter and that property would've been sold in under half a day.

It's just a colossal waste of time for everyone involved since they clearly had no intention of ever selling the place.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #17172

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
OP's question was about the selling agent going to the second highest bidder and offering them a chance to give a higher bid.

His exact words

Now if the seller themselves are asking a realtor to list the unit and then decide not to sell, then that's another topic.
But it would appear it's happened a few times in this chat as people decided not to sell for many reasons.
Originally i was just asking if it was standard practice for the selling agent to entice bidding wars between the 2-3 highest bidders. Obviously it does happen and i guess ur opinion is based on what side of the fence ur on, being a buyer or seller. For me its in that grey area between right and wrong.

But what i was trying to get to is what Great68 pointed out, where if a seller has some type of reserve and the buyer meets it but then decides to not sell. Like he said its bargaining/negotiating in bad faith cause it seems as if the seller has no intention of selling. I feel for buyers when they look at multiple listings and they like 3 or 4 of them but can only submit 1 offer. And the 1 they choose had no intention of selling. And the buyer misses out on the others (Correct me if im wrong, but a buyer can only submit 1 offer on a property at a time to avoid having multiple offers accepted on multiple listings at the same time....)

Imagine going to the grocery store and everything was priced wrong, and u had to basically guess how much ur supposed to pay for it.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #17173

Quote:
Originally i was just asking if it was standard practice for the selling agent to entice bidding wars between the 2-3 highest bidders. Obviously it does happen and i guess ur opinion is based on what side of the fence ur on, being a buyer or seller. For me its in that grey area between right and wrong.

But what i was trying to get to is what Great68 pointed out, where if a seller has some type of reserve and the buyer meets it but then decides to not sell. Like he said its bargaining/negotiating in bad faith cause it seems as if the seller has no intention of selling. I feel for buyers when they look at multiple listings and they like 3 or 4 of them but can only submit 1 offer. And the 1 they choose had no intention of selling. And the buyer misses out on the others (Correct me if im wrong, but a buyer can only submit 1 offer on a property at a time to avoid having multiple offers accepted on multiple listings at the same time....)

Imagine going to the grocery store and everything was priced wrong, and u had to basically guess how much ur supposed to pay for it.
On the first part, I work in sales so I get what you are saying and unfortunately I side with it being ok for the realtor to go back to the second highest bid to allow them to give a higher bid.
It goes both ways. Imagine being the second highest bidder and not being allowed to counter if the market was hot.
I get it that it may come back and burn the realtor if both buying party rips up their offer.

As for the latter part, it is a huge dick move to list if they had no intentions of selling. That being said, playing devils advocate, we don't know the whole story. Maybe the seller wasn't happy with the job the selling agent was doing. I mean, it gets listed and the next day there is only 1 appointment. They would have been better off having an open house on the weekend and getting more offers.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 01-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #17174

Quote:

His exact words
That would still be an unethical practice by the Realtor.

The ethical thing to do is to tell the sellers to make a counter-offer to that first highest bidder.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2021, 02:42 PM   #17175

Quote:
It goes both ways. Imagine being the second highest bidder and not being allowed to counter if the market was hot.
Tough for them. Then they should have given a bigger offer right off the bat.

It would be like if the second lowest bidder on a construction contract were allowed to reduce their bid and undercut the lowest bidder after all the bids have already been seen.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by: