REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #17076
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Jesus 1bt for 1900 fuck.

When I first started renting out my basement suite I thought $1600 was at the limit but now it seems like for a 700 sq ft 1 br with the little yard I have I could ask another 200-300 and have ppl lined up..
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #17077
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
and I thought the rental market got quieter and rent dropped?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #17078
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,713 Times in 1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
Just tested Joyce Collingwood area for $1,900/1BR and had over 40 - 50 inquiries. I felt like they were higher risk tenants and maybe 2 - 3 solid applications from couples with good-paying jobs.

you're posting totally fake ads for rental properties? it never occurred to me that was a thing. when I rented I made every application expecting to actually get the place.

that's not cool at all. I feel for renters - just trying to find a place to live, wasting their time and resources to further your personal research.

correct me if I'm wrong...
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #17079
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ you are wrong cuz I also see renters flake last min for showings. And stop replying cuz they probably found a cheaper place.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #17080

how is that relevant?

if Gerbs said that he applies for rentals with no intention to actually rent them that would also not be cool - but that's not what he said.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #17081
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ you are wrong cuz I also see renters flake last min for showings. And stop replying cuz they probably found a cheaper place.
two wrongs dont make one right. when you see someone litter, do you go: oh imma treat this place like crap too and litter?
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #17082
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post

you're posting totally fake ads for rental properties? it never occurred to me that was a thing. when I rented I made every application expecting to actually get the place.

that's not cool at all. I feel for renters - just trying to find a place to live, wasting their time and resources to further your personal research.

this happens all the time...landlords test the market for prices...sometimes its just to see what they can get if they were to rent it out and move somewhere else...others its to see what the market is if their current tenant is moving out soon

for every "fake ad" there is..there's like 10x the amount of tenants "window shopping" for units that dont even get back to you for further infromation
Sw0op is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #17083
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sw0op View Post
this happens all the time...landlords test the market for prices...sometimes its just to see what they can get if they were to rent it out and move somewhere else...others its to see what the market is if their current tenant is moving out soon

for every "fake ad" there is..there's like 10x the amount of tenants "window shopping" for units that dont even get back to you for further infromation
Sure reasons, but still a dickish thing to do IMO. Id imagine the same people to complain when they find fake car ads and whatnot on Craigslist.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #17084
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

question for landlords: do you perform credit checks and if so, which companies/website are you using? Do you pay for it or do the potential tenants do?
xxxrsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #17085
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
I do not but if it was Somone that was a complete stranger I would ask for employment verification.

Funny enough if you state that you require payment via cheque, that seems to automatically weed out a lot of losers because they don’t have cheques or chequing accounts lol..

Not to say I ever take payment in cheques but generally the people who accept that fact and then discuss e-transfer etc in person are already more trust worthy seemingly lol
Old 01-13-2021, 04:39 PM   #17086
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Jesus 1bt for 1900 fuck.

When I first started renting out my basement suite I thought $1600 was at the limit but now it seems like for a 700 sq ft 1 br with the little yard I have I could ask another 200-300 and have ppl lined up..
Basement suits usually command way less. I think it's the lack of sunlight or loud upstairs? Our 1BR basement at family's house is renting for about $1,100 utilities in. But this is a solid tenant we found after months of searching during Covid. It's probably below market price.

Quote:
how is that relevant?

if Gerbs said that he applies for rentals with no intention to actually rent them that would also not be cool - but that's not what he said.

I'm creating fake rental listings to test the market before I buy the unit, not as a rental applicant. Doesn't matter though, it's a dick move on both sides.

I'd say out of everybody who sets up a time. 50%, if not more will ghost the showing. I've had one person just flake the day after credit, background and income check. It's a 2-way street haha.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]

Last edited by Gerbs; 01-13-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:45 PM   #17087

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
question for landlords: do you perform credit checks and if so, which companies/website are you using? Do you pay for it or do the potential tenants do?
It's against bc tenant laws to charge tenants for application costs. The Naborly app has treated me well for $25/application. Get ready to light up $100 - 300 on fire for flaky tenants though.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 01-13-2021, 04:48 PM   #17088
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxrsxxx View Post
Nope didn't do credit check.
Just asked for proof of employment and their supervisor / managers contact for a brief chat.

Though, if we were to do a credit check, it'd be out of my pocket.
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #17089

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:

Ive been on both the renting side and the landlord side and i can tell u now that my time was wasted more when potential renters would pull no shows or they suddenly ghosted me when things got serious. Hours could be wasted.

As a renter, all the emails i sent are basically exactly the same, just hit copy, paste and send. Takes a minute and its no secret that renting in vancouver is a super competitive market. When I rented i sent out every email not expecting to actually get the place. And as Gerbs post indicates, people have a 2-3% shot at getting it.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 PM   #17090

you guys are still saying it's OK to create a completely fictitious for rent post just to see what the value of the area is. not even a hypothetical post for your own existing unit (if you were unsure about an existing tenant or something) but a fake listing altogether. what do you use for pics? via gettys?

it seems like you're justifying wasting people's time because other unrelated people have wasted yours, in what is at best a semi-related fashion

(btw i've rented 4 apartments and one house in my life as a renter - 5 total. I've also only ever applied for 5 places. I didn't realize 5 for 5 was abnormal. you don't copy paste, you write a short but compelling specific personal story about why a place is the right one for you)

i could never be a landlord
Old 01-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #17091

I agree that the renting side is way easier. I use a standard copy and paste introduction with my job, amount of people, and answering questions in the ad.

On the landlord side, you get 50 - 100 messages with "hey is this available?" or an I'm interested. Of that 50%, you might get an introduction. After that, you'll have about 20% of that pool with a reasonable income to rent ratio, low risk, references.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Old 01-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #17092

Quote:
It's not fun, the rate of return on your investment at the current housing prices and rental income isn't worth it. Better off in a REIT or other asset class. I don't mind being a landlord if returns were solid though. It'll treat it as a second job.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #17093

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Its worse than selling your car on Facebook because if u rent to a shit tenant ur basically screwed for a long time.

You seem like a straight shooter, probably in ur late 30s or 40s trying to do everything the "right" way. Unfortunately it seems as if everyone is transitioning out of that way of thinking and into a dog eat dog, who can i use/rip off to further myself type of world for themselves.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:02 PM   #17094
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
always run a credit check, but allow them to be transparent (ie should I expect anything when I run credit?)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #17095

i've derailed this thread - back to your scheduled programming

Last edited by The Producer; 01-13-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 PM   #17096
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
It's not fun, the rate of return on your investment at the current housing prices and rental income isn't worth it. Better off in a REIT or other asset class. I don't mind being a landlord if returns were solid though. It'll treat it as a second job.
Being a landlord is worth more, than any investment investment bruda

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #17097
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Just tested Joyce Collingwood area for $1,900/1BR and had over 40 - 50 inquiries. I felt like they were higher risk tenants and maybe 2 - 3 solid applications from couples with good-paying jobs.
how much sq ft?
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:57 PM   #17098
Need my Daily Fix of RS

There's a landlord in my condo who owns 3 of the 1BR units (600-650 sq feet). she said on average she receives 20-30 requests from young couples and will be able to rent it out within a month.

listing price unfurnished = $2200.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #17099
Old School RS

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
how much sq ft?
It's a made up suite... so probably like 2000sft with floor to ceiling windows and a generous veranda.

Quote:
BI'm creating fake rental listings to test the market before I buy the unit, not as a rental applicant.
It's a douche move is what it is. If you want to see what a place would rent for, you spend some time on Craigslist and other sites looking at comparables. It's not like people list fake houses on the MLS to see "what their house is worth"... they look at what other people are asking. Just like everything else. A complete douche move.

-Mark
Old 01-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #17100
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
It's a made up suite... so probably like 2000sft with floor to ceiling windows and a generous veranda.

It's a douche move is what it is. If you want to see what a place would rent for, you spend some time on Craigslist and other sites looking at comparables. It's not like people list fake houses on the MLS to see "what their house is worth"... they look at what other people are asking. Just like everything else. A complete douche move.

-Mark
I agree with this, it's a bit of a douche move.

There are enough fake listings on CL in terms of rental suites, to add to that sea of garbage is somewhat repugnant.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: