REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:44 PM   #19051
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I always thought all of my friends families owned their house, what I've found out is that a few of the people I know, their parents are renting and they have always been renting.

I was so shocked by this, it's crazy to think they had the biggest opportunity to buy a house for $150k, and they decided not to.

These families will never catch up.

My stretch goal is to buy two condo's that I can pass down to my children. I feel like I need to do this, otherwise they will not have the opportunity. I've talked to a few people that asked me why I feel like I need to do this. I guess it's just a cultural thing or the way my mind is set.

I know if I don't start saving and investing right now, my future generations are screwed.
We have some friends who my wife has known forever, for over 30 years. They have been renting the same house near Prince Albert and 25th the entire time.

I’m sure they’ve had opportunities to buy it but never did. Now the old owners have died and the kids have inherited it. It’s a dumpy old house that is a tear down even though it’s been kept in about as good shape as you could hope for. However, brand new builds are touching 4 million in that area (frankly I don’t get the appeal of this area other than main st I guess)

The amount of equity lost in those decisions not to purchase is multiple retirements for many people. Not to mention they’ve been renting the entire time. Both have public sector pensions so they should be OK but that’s a huge discrepancy
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2021, 06:19 PM   #19052
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
I knew of a family that's been renting since the early 2000's until now. I'm sure that they could of picked up some sort of property at the time, but given their circumstances it would of been really tough (single mother with two kids)

With the current housing market, it's running away a lot faster than our household income.

Hence my only option is to build up a laneway home at my parent's property. It sucks that I don't build my own equity but at least we would have our own space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:32 PM   #19053
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
3 mil vancouver specials by 2026, 5 mil by 2040

People set their standards too high

yaaaaaa i dont want to live in a 40 year old building, i want a 2 bedroom brand new 20th floor in coal harbour, so im gonna wait till prices drop

If your in your 20s, or even 30s, and all you can afford is a 400k 1 bed dump, then thats what you need to buy.

Dont like it? Go move to saskatchewan, or any 2nd tier US city where you can buy a new house for 250k
Well there was a point where people got out of high school, got 35-40k starting wage and could buy a house for 200k after a few years with a 20k down payment.
Now you have people getting out of university or trade school, starting at 45k with big debts (in the case of university if your parents didn't pay for it) and having to save 50k to buy a 500k 1 bedroom apartment in burnaby. It's not unreasonable to be a little jaded about that. Especially when you have to spend $1000+ on food if you want to actually eat vegetables, $90 on your tank of gas to get to work, etc.
You can expect things to not be shitty without being unreasonable and thinking you should get a free BMW and house when you hit 25.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #19054
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
The only people who talk like that are ones that already own a property

“I did it why can’t you? Bitch!”
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #19055
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ nothing wrong with making sacrifices, and delaying pleasures for a later date and reaching your goals. Rather than Starbucks everyday, cactus club, leasing that new 5 series, real Gucci ain't cheap.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:42 PM   #19056
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 5,107 Posts
Wow that’s a lot of assumptions in one post lol

I have a good paying job, I don’t eat out, I drive a 2004 Lexus and I don’t buy brand name stuff… but there’s no way I could reasonably afford much in this market.

The only reason I do is because I bought in when it was 40% less than it is now. Younger people are fucked here, I feel for them.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #19057
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I'm just curious do you guys realistically think prices will keep going up? Detached in East Van hit 3 million? In like next 10 15 years? I don't see Vancouver being a global hub like HK, NY to support it.
Detached in East Van already at $3M…
https://www.rew.ca/properties/343879...-vancouver-bc#
https://www.rew.ca/properties/328091...-vancouver-bc#

Other than the absurd high price, the description is borderline racist. I always see “Italian built” but never seen “EI built”.
https://www.rew.ca/properties/search...+E+37th+Avenue
Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:00 PM   #19058

Starbucks is cheap, cactus club sucks and a new 5 series would probably cost me less than maintenance.
Not everyone wants things to be easier financially for their own personal gains. I’d still be just fine in a decent condo in my burb. I would like the people who make what I made at 28 not have to make the choice of giving up any enjoyment in their lives or moving to buttfuck Saskatchewan though. I didn’t have to. Why should they just cause they were born 8 years later?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #19059
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Want you family to get a head in life? Move to someplace cheaper if your work allows it. Start buying property because in the long run it's only going to go up. Set your you kids up for the rest of there lives. They can start at where you left off instead of having to start from the beginning.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #19060

Good thing the kids who grew up here’s parents didn’t take that advice or they probably wouldn’t have 4 million dollar homes that paid for their kids condo down payments.
There’s no magic bullet for financial freedom. No one really knows how we got here. Ask someone 30 years ago how to be successful and no one would have told you, just buy a house in Vancouver and you’ll be set. We really don’t know what’s gonna be the case 30 years from now either.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:36 PM   #19061

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special K View Post

Other than the absurd high price, the description is borderline racist. I always see “Italian built” but never seen “EI built”.
https://www.rew.ca/properties/search...+E+37th+Avenue
WTF that house is assessed at $1.6M and they’re asking $2.6?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:37 PM   #19062
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
From the discussion I am reading here, an unspoken underlying assumption is -- people don't want to leave Vancouver. I get that people don't want to leave Vancouver. Hell, I don't want to leave Vancouver if I can avoid that as well! As a realistic and pragmatic person, however, I look at the numbers, and whether I like it or not, the numbers will at least partially dictate what I can / would have to do because the numbers have to work -- ie. the finances need to be sustainable.

If I were a fresh ugrad earning that $45k/yr salary while trying to pay off my $50k student loan debt... I can't stay in Vancouver unless there is a very good reason to do so. Calgary, Edmonton, or even buttfuck Saskatchewan have people happily living there too. I went to university in an Ontario university town, and I have friends there that used to live in Toronto when they were kids. But after going to university at the tiny university town, they fell in love with the city, found a job, and stayed there for good. Just as Toronto isn't the Center of the Universe, Vancouver isn't necessarily the center stage of the party either -- or at least, it doesn't have to be.

When the day comes where I can no longer afford to stay in Vanocuver, I think I'll probably try to find some place cheap on the Island and go there instead. (I hope that kind of place would still exist by then.)
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #19063

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Good thing the kids who grew up here’s parents didn’t take that advice or they probably wouldn’t have 4 million dollar homes that paid for their kids condo down payments.
There’s no magic bullet for financial freedom. No one really knows how we got here. Ask someone 30 years ago how to be successful and no one would have told you, just buy a house in Vancouver and you’ll be set. We really don’t know what’s gonna be the case 30 years from now either.
They lived in a place that was cheap. Vancouver is not cheap anymore. Canada is one of the best places to live in the world I don't see real estate being cheaper 25 years from now.

For the price of one house In Vancouver you can buy 2 or 3 houses in a different town.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:48 PM   #19064
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ Islands might be underwater by then. Once in a blue moon I do look at listings in Calgary or Nova Scotia, I could buy a house and retire there. I feel the older I get the less I want to be in Van, no room to grow my car collection. Bumper to bumper traffic all day everyday. Takes like 30+ min to drive anywhere. Having to rage against taxi and Uber drivers.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #19065
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
From the discussion I am reading here, an unspoken underlying assumption is -- people don't want to leave Vancouver. I get that people don't want to leave Vancouver. Hell, I don't want to leave Vancouver if I can avoid that as well! As a realistic and pragmatic person, however, I look at the numbers, and whether I like it or not, the numbers will at least partially dictate what I can / would have to do because the numbers have to work -- ie. the finances need to be sustainable.

If I were a fresh ugrad earning that $45k/yr salary while trying to pay off my $50k student loan debt... I can't stay in Vancouver unless there is a very good reason to do so. Calgary, Edmonton, or even buttfuck Saskatchewan have people happily living there too. I went to university in an Ontario university town, and I have friends there that used to live in Toronto when they were kids. But after going to university at the tiny university town, they fell in love with the city, found a job, and stayed there for good. Just as Toronto isn't the Center of the Universe, Vancouver isn't necessarily the center stage of the party either -- or at least, it doesn't have to be.

When the day comes where I can no longer afford to stay in Vanocuver, I think I'll probably try to find some place cheap on the Island and go there instead. (I hope that kind of place would still exist by then.)
Better get on that island bandwagon soon if you want to retire there. Even Kelowna prices are getting to insane levels and that's no Vancouver.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #19066
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Get this castle in Courtney: https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...courtenay-west

A mere $2m!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 06:17 AM   #19067

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Look at the island right now. It’s not cheap. Duncan is even expensive. Port Alberni, the cheapest place on the island is even getting up there. I don’t really see the allure of staying in Vancouver if you didn’t grow up there and can find work elsewhere. I’d move in a heartbeat if my wife would leave, but she’s born and bred and has her reasons. Only reason to stay now is if you have property you want to watch skyrocket.

I saw some country wide stats. I think Saskatchewan had the lowest year over year returns, with Quebec and the east coast being the highest. Everywhere was double digits. It’s all going nutso.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #19068

I can understand wanting to live somewhere else for cost reasons but to not see the allure of Vancouver even with the cost is crazy.
Snowboarding within half hour from my door
A great music scene
Tons of restaurants
The ocean
Car shows/meets weekly
A climate which allows for outdoor activities all year

There is literally not a single other place in Canada that has all of those things.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #19069

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I can understand that. I suppose I travel for work a lot and get those experiences elsewhere. In reality at home I want some piece and quiet. Haha.

With family planning, realistically most of those things are pretty irrelevant anyhow.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #19070
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Those things listed aren’t only limited to Canada, but most of the world.

I’ve been to enough places to have a decent opinion I’d say and if you have a look at the city and the province as if it was your first time here, it’s a pretty magical place.

I always go back to those limited 2010 Olympic licence plates where the slogan printed on them was “best place on earth” while it may have been a bit of a corporate/Olympic cop out to get people to buck up for the special plate, it’s not like almost anywhere else on this planet would ever have the idea to make that claim.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #19071

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I can understand wanting to live somewhere else for cost reasons but to not see the allure of Vancouver even with the cost is crazy.
Snowboarding within half hour from my door
A great music scene
Tons of restaurants
The ocean
Car shows/meets weekly
A climate which allows for outdoor activities all year

There is literally not a single other place in Canada that has all of those things.
I mean I get all of that here minus the access to skiing/snowboarding (which I'm not really into). But in trade I get better weather, easier access to the wilderness, and the small town living (IE less traffic & commuting).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #19072

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Every once in a while I get the urge to move elsewhere, but even being a little picky it still boils down to the southern half of BC if I want to do any of the things I like to do and it's all expensive. If you like what's unique to the large size of the GVRD then that's kind of it.

If you're not outdoorsy though I would think you have a lot more options if you just want the perks of a big city. But if you like skiing, offroading or driving on wiggly roads you're kind of stuck here.

The closest I could think of was maybe New Zealand but it takes forever to travel anywhere else from there and it's going to be underwater in a few decades anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #19073
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
On an all around basis it's hard to beat Vancouver - amongst the big cities I've logged time in London (9 times baby!), Tokyo, Osaka, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Paris, New York, LA, Toronto (do they count as big?) etc and while Tokyo and London are AMAZING I wouldn't trade Vancouver for any of them if we're talking about living my entire life in one place. From birth to death, this is it.

Despite the doom and gloom of real estate and climate change I really think Vancouver's best years are ahead, not behind. I wish we had more visionary leaders who could make us an even greater city. Change is unavoidable so we need leaders who make us accept it but have an idea of how to get the most out of it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #19074

I’m not saying victoria isn’t a great place to live, but the music scene and restaurants aren’t even mentionable in comparison to Vancouver.
I’m also not saying there aren’t better places to live for other people, I’m just saying if these things are your interests, you can’t get them all somewhere else. If I was to substitute snowboarding with biking and music with boating, van would no longer seem better than victoria, but these are what matter to me, and lots of other people.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #19075
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
I knew of a family that's been renting since the early 2000's until now. I'm sure that they could of picked up some sort of property at the time, but given their circumstances it would of been really tough (single mother with two kids)

With the current housing market, it's running away a lot faster than our household income
So the very first post on this thread was Oct 2012.
And there was another thread that was before it but there was a lot of people who felt the market would correct and/or drop.

I wonder where are those people now and if they take back what they said in 2012 and before.

Gonna go back and read some of the earlier posts to see what some of the comments were like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: