REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #19001
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
… I feel like I wouldn’t even tell the city of I was renovating my kitchen lol… how they ever going to find out?
Planning to sell the place in a couple years. If the market is slow at that time, buyers will probably use the no permit excuse as a reason to knock down the price
Advertisement
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #19002
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
How would they know?
Old 08-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #19003
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
If the city cared that much about it, you wouldn't see people knowingly list their properties advertising unauthorized suites.
Spoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #19004
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
How would they know?
Sellers have to state it in the disclosure form when selling and Realtors can pull city tax records that will indicate whether or not it was registered or not.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #19005
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^ within the last week I've seen 2 scratched off disclosure forms and both sellers and buyers signed.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #19006

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ within the last week I've seen 2 scratched off disclosure forms and both sellers and buyers signed.
I believe that's only when the seller has never lived in the property
Old 08-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #19007
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,386 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Anyone own in nanaimo, house or condo and rent it out?
Houses for 500k for long term investment sure do look appealing.
Seems to be no houses available for rent either
The rental market is crazy in Nanaimo. Very low vacancy and rents are really high.

I don't know what you are going to find house wise for 500k.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #19008
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Yeah 500k for a house seems like you’d end up in Duncan or something like that
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #19009

Not sure what the rules are but one was disclosed as pr and one was just disclosed as residence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_driver View Post
Old 08-07-2021, 12:22 PM   #19010
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Or if you rented it during sale. Once its rented, you can pull that excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
The rental market is crazy in Nanaimo. Very low vacancy and rents are really high.

Looking on rew, theres like 20 listings 500-600k, not sure if they sell instantly, or thats just the going price. Because 700k gets you a decent house in nanaimo

They aint much, but they are a deal compared to 2mil van teardowns (as an investment wise)

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #19011

^speaking of investment properties. How do you guys own it? Personally? Or is it worth setting up as a corp. Due to all the capital gains, empty home tax etc?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #19012

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
… I feel like I wouldn’t even tell the city of I was renovating my kitchen lol… how they ever going to find out?
All it takes is one nosey neighbour to report you to the city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
If the city cared that much about it, you wouldn't see people knowingly list their properties advertising unauthorized suites.
For the most part the city likely turns a blind eye, unless they receive a complaint. I had a distant relative get her unauthorized suite inspected cuz a neighbour complained. They gave her advanced warning so she paid her tenant to move out temporarily and move back in after the inspection, lol!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #19013
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,365 Times in 5,658 Posts
Advising the city of a lipstick renovation just added 30-50% of your total costs lol..

If you’re doing a reno to sell etc. You’re crazy to try and get permits for it. You’d be better off not doing the reno and keeping the investment costs for the reno than paying an architect etc to submit drawings and plans.

In this current climate, and the climate of say, the last 10 years I really doubt a buyer is going to get hung up on how the renovation was done.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:31 PM   #19014

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
They’re just tearing down any 2 million dollar houses to put up 9 1.5 million dollar townhouses anyways.
#housingcrisissolved
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #19015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Advising the city of a lipstick renovation just added 30-50% of your total costs lol..

If you’re doing a reno to sell etc. You’re crazy to try and get permits for it. You’d be better off not doing the reno and keeping the investment costs for the reno than paying an architect etc to submit drawings and plans.

In this current climate, and the climate of say, the last 10 years I really doubt a buyer is going to get hung up on how the renovation was done.
30-50%? One quote I got was $4500 for the drawings . Plus about $700 for the city . Actual Reno would be probably $25/30k minimum
Old 08-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #19016

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
All it takes is one nosey neighbour to report you to the city...

For the most part the city likely turns a blind eye, unless they receive a complaint. I had a distant relative get her unauthorized suite inspected cuz a neighbour complained. They gave her advanced warning so she paid her tenant to move out temporarily and move back in after the inspection, lol!
New builds get inspected in Vancouver in the first year or so as well. I was required to give access to the city about a year in to check my basement to see if I had a kitchen in there so I had to ask my tenants to move out for a week.

It's all some ridiculous theatre b/c the city approved the house with everything but the 220v outlet. The kitchen was a "bar unit", there was a hood vent outlet setup, and even laundry hookups in place. What did the city think we were going to do with the place? And does the city seriously think it'd be a good idea to force me to NOT rent out my empty basement during a housing crisis? (I also would have been happy to pay additional utilities for my suite if the city let me)

It looks like Burnaby is much more realistic about unauthorised suites - you just sign a declaration saying if you do or don't have one and they charge you extra fees for it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-07-2021, 02:44 PM   #19017
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^speaking of investment properties. How do you guys own it? Personally? Or is it worth setting up as a corp. Due to all the capital gains, empty home tax etc?
Personally under 5 properties, once you hit 5, then you want an LLC

There aint no capital gains, unless you sell. As for rental income tax, its pennies since most of it is written off due to expenses.
Or if your mortgage is really small, then it might be worth the LLC. At that point you might as well HELOC and put that "sitting" money to use

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #19018

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
My inlaws got checked for a suite and they don't even have one lol. I think anyone who requests a larger garbage/recycling bin gets flagged though.

Quote:
looking into a kitchen renovation where I'd need to take down a wall, city said they need a drawing done by a designer or architect showing what's currently there and what's proposed.
They require a pro for that? Here I just got a copy of the blueprints from city hall, they gave me the wrong ones so I just doodled it by hand and then marked it up to show the changes and they were happy. Inspector #1 just cared if I moved plumbing (I didn't), inspector #2 stood at the front door, said "yep you removed a wall", signed it and left.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:18 AM   #19019

Thanked 4,811 Times in 1,770 Posts
Quote:
Yes, my garage was fully wired by the previous owners...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2021, 06:48 PM   #19020
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
Personally under 5 properties, once you hit 5, then you want an LLC

There aint no capital gains, unless you sell. As for rental income tax, its pennies since most of it is written off due to expenses.
Or if your mortgage is really small, then it might be worth the LLC. At that point you might as well HELOC and put that "sitting" money to use
I'm mostly in CRE and US based, so, it might be a bit different to pure residential here in Canada.

However, it's almost never a good idea down south to put several properties under the same entity/person. Even for smaller investors, you want to put your properties in some tax pass-through entity. So, for every project (property), we'd register a new entity.

The reason is mostly legal... so if you/entity get sued, the exposure is limited to that entity alone. Thus, the most you can potentially lose is that single property minus its liabilities.

Yes, when it comes to tax filling, it's a bit of PITA, but see it as CoDB and/or insurance policy.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #19021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

vernon is the same but $600K MIN for anything decent
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #19022

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Well, a week after I asked this question I bought this place (subjects are still on it). The place turned out to check nearly every box my wife and I had AND it exceeded on a few things so rather than build a place (which we were wanting to do earlier in the year) or keep up our demoralising hunt we bought this. It's a 10 min walk to my daughter's daycare, elementary and high school and still close enough for my parents and in-laws to come over (and eventually live with us).

Fun fact: The microwave that it comes with costs ($1800) more than the fridge I currently own.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/347394...nue-burnaby-bc

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
So I've run across this new build (in progress) that seems intriguing to my wife and I as it has the potential for two suites (for eventually housing the parents/in-laws) while checking a bunch of boxes for us but I don't know much about suite/rental rules in Burnaby:

https://ralphmaglieri.com/property/5...r-ave-burnaby/

The main floor looks like it could be easily suited as either a 1 bed or 2 bed unit and then it also comes with a 600sf studio in the back which is not shown in the photos that comes with a bathroom (the neighbouring houses also have these which you can see in satellite view: https://goo.gl/maps/ThTpoCPsDFrxuFBx5)

I've never seen a house in Burnaby with this kind of accessory building before and when I read about the area zoning there's no mention of this type of building being allowed. As it has a bathroom (and hookups for laundry) I assume they know full well that this is going to be a rental/in-law suite.

Anyone know much about these types of buildings and about creating a suite in Burnaby? Nothing on the city website answers my questions (we'll be getting a viewing this week of the house to get more details).
Old 08-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #19023

Who wants to move to Prince George.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sa...WMulU1cFB_KkfM

Comes with a house.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #19024

^^ I'm interested, I wonder if you can divide up the 8 acres to sell. Or if it's snowed in 9 months of the year
Old 08-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #19025

Also has minigolf.

Prince George's Only Drive In | Park Drive In, Weekend Entertainment

https://www.google.com/maps/place/96...4d-122.9489461

Also close to a drag strip/mud park.

https://nitromotorsportspark.com/