REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #18976
I STILL don't get it

Is it a laneway house? they're not allowed in Burnaby yet right?
Advertisement
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #18977
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
That's correct, laneway homes are not allowed in Burnaby as per Burnaby website.

https://www.burnaby.ca/City-Services...way-Homes.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #18978
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
There was a cool build in North Van that I'd be super interested in seeing more of. It was a 3 story townhouse complex with a lock off suite in the basement and they were around 1.2 million.
Moving forward I think that would have a huge impact on both affordability in housing and child care/senior care for people to have multi generational households.
Culturally it's a lot less common for European lineage families to have that arrangement, but it's divided enough I'd be happy to have my Mom in the suite. As a family a 2.2 million dollar home is still out of reach, but this hits all the marks. Hopefully it becomes more common, as I really don't care to ever own a 5 bedroom home and laneway house, whether it's affordable or not, but a small yard and a 2 bedroom/1 bedroom split with a garage is perfect.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #18979
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
^^ I've seen them in Burnaby Coquitlam, I recall they were only about $1.5m at the beginning of this year, at I think 2 3 years old. I didn't see in person though. But the layout was much bigger than this in pictures. It has 3 levels so the rental unit was in the basement. Plus it had some studio in the back. Also the garage wasn't built into the house and it has a bigger driveway. Based on my math you should at least net $2500 from basement and studio so the house will pay for itself, at that pricing or have really good income.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:00 PM   #18980
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
There was a cool build in North Van that I'd be super interested in seeing more of. It was a 3 story townhouse complex with a lock off suite in the basement and they were around 1.2 million.
Moving forward I think that would have a huge impact on both affordability in housing and child care/senior care for people to have multi generational households.
Culturally it's a lot less common for European lineage families to have that arrangement, but it's divided enough I'd be happy to have my Mom in the suite. As a family a 2.2 million dollar home is still out of reach, but this hits all the marks. Hopefully it becomes more common, as I really don't care to ever own a 5 bedroom home and laneway house, whether it's affordable or not, but a small yard and a 2 bedroom/1 bedroom split with a garage is perfect.
Public opinion is pretty divided over towers, but most of the public supports ground-oriented housing and townhouses with legal suites are the future. Even the most crusty anti-change folks are finally starting to see what has happened to people under the age of 40 with respect to their housing prospects.

I've even seen such developments go to the market even in places like Abbotsford.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #18981
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
Correct, not allowed yet though they are talking about it and I'd expect it to be approved in the next year or two so this particular unit is a total outlier. I can't tell if it's just a "workshop" or if it can be converted into a living unit. This particular house also doesn't have a lane in the back so presumably it wouldn't meet the standard of a proper laneway anyways.

If it's a workshop the place is a bit less appealing but it would still make for a great WFH office/man cave/kids play room as these kind of accessory buildings are really rare but ideally I'd like to stick a set of parents in there (and rent it out in the meantime).
Old 08-03-2021, 12:46 PM   #18982
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I am not sure if it's the same one I am thinking of but the one in North Van we were looking at (both back in 2017 as a presale, and now we have seen them in person) had a basement lockoff suite but I can't imagine my parents living there. It was suuuper small. About 550 sq ft split between 2 levels. I could picture a college student possibly, but definitely not a couple of seniors who are used to their single detached house. Also no yards, and the garages were single car garages that don't leave much room for storing anything once you park a car in there.

I still like the idea of them, but they definitely come with some limitations.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #18983
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Yeah I didn't get into the details of it. They very well could be the same. Seems silly, as North Van isn't really the spot for a young single person using a basement suite. Seems to make way more sense in kits/kerrsdale/ubc area or in burnaby closer to SFU.
The idea is fantastic though, and I think with the right design it would be the ultimate spot for a single child family and their parent(s) downstairs. It comes back to the common complaint here that there isn't the "bridge" sort of housing. We're missing the gap between condos and the huge step up to a SFH.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #18984

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
So I've run across this new build (in progress) that seems intriguing to my wife and I as it has the potential for two suites (for eventually housing the parents/in-laws) while checking a bunch of boxes for us but I don't know much about suite/rental rules in Burnaby:

https://ralphmaglieri.com/property/5...r-ave-burnaby/

The main floor looks like it could be easily suited as either a 1 bed or 2 bed unit and then it also comes with a 600sf studio in the back which is not shown in the photos that comes with a bathroom (the neighbouring houses also have these which you can see in satellite view: https://goo.gl/maps/ThTpoCPsDFrxuFBx5)

I've never seen a house in Burnaby with this kind of accessory building before and when I read about the area zoning there's no mention of this type of building being allowed. As it has a bathroom (and hookups for laundry) I assume they know full well that this is going to be a rental/in-law suite.

Anyone know much about these types of buildings and about creating a suite in Burnaby? Nothing on the city website answers my questions (we'll be getting a viewing this week of the house to get more details).
5298 (on the right) looks to be more desirable if they keep the rear opening to the alley at the back

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 01:07 PM   #18985

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
5298 (on the right) looks to be more desirable if they keep the rear opening to the alley at the back
Yeah, it's already sold (4 weeks ago) and from what I could gather by walking the lot the alley won't be accessible - the fencing is aluminum and covers the entire back of the lot. At best you'd be able to put a gate in at some point for walking out of it.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #18986

The one I've seen I don't think there is back yard access, it's literally a fenced off yard, all the parking is in the front. The detached unit is literally like a garden shed pool house with a bathroom. It's one big room with a bathroom attached. So it would be good for man cave or rental for a student or air BnB.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:27 AM   #18987
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Currently shopping around for a "re-finance" mortgage

Trying to borrow $400,000, bank offers 1.29% 5 year fixed, does it seem reasonable?

EDIT: Trying to get a laneway home built up
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.

Last edited by TypeRNammer; 08-04-2021 at 10:41 AM.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #18988
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Currently shopping around for a "re-finance" mortgage

Trying to borrow $400,000, bank offers 1.29% 5 year fixed, does it seem reasonable?
My buddy told me he recently got 1.19 @ 5 year fixed, with $3,000 cashback & $300 referral with HSBC.
Euro7r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #18989

^^ was it cmhc? HSBC promos are usually only for cmhc
Old 08-05-2021, 01:08 AM   #18990

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
I wanna put up some shelving in my walk-in closet. Where do I buy these units? Looks pretty common in new builds.
So many closet systems that I look up seem to be US based and only ship within the states.

SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:08 AM   #18991
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
I wanna put up some shelving in my walk-in closet. Where do I buy these units? Looks pretty common in new builds.
So many closet systems that I look up seem to be US based and only ship within the states.

Do you mean these? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cut...nch/1000418584
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #18992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
I'm looking for the whole system that I can put on bare walls.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #18993
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
I know Closets By Design can custom make whatever you want. They may have even done the place in that picture since I've got the exact same brackets/hanger rod/etc in my place lol. It's not cheap though.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #18994
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
I went with Alex.voogd@stor-x.com from https://www.stor-x.com/

Great quality and price.
Wormiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #18995

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
If you want cheap, check out wayfair like I did, you get what you pay for though.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:31 PM   #18996
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Looks like a builder grade closet TBH. Ikea has some decent wardrobe solutions that might work for you.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #18997
in the butt

Thanked 3,223 Times in 1,185 Posts
Anyone own in nanaimo, house or condo and rent it out?
Houses for 500k for long term investment sure do look appealing.
Seems to be no houses available for rent either

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #18998

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I know Closets By Design can custom make whatever you want. They may have even done the place in that picture since I've got the exact same brackets/hanger rod/etc in my place lol. It's not cheap though.
How many linear ft and how much you pay? My closet is about 7.5 ft x 4.5 ft with 1 wall as window, so only need about 12 linear ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormiez View Post
I went with Alex.voogd@stor-x.com from https://www.stor-x.com/

Great quality and price.
How many linear ft and how much did you pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
If you want cheap, check out wayfair like I did, you get what you pay for though.
One of the site I've been browsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Looks like a builder grade closet TBH. Ikea has some decent wardrobe solutions that might work for you.
Was hoping to get something hanging so I don't need to deal with my baseboards. And most of the Ikea I notice incorporate wires or metal frames. Gives me the cheap vibes with the metal.

I think I might be satisfied with builder grade. Some drawers, rods and shelves, how sophisticated can closets be?
Old 08-06-2021, 05:30 AM   #18999
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

any recommendations on architects that can do work on a home in the Tri Cities?

looking into a kitchen renovation where I'd need to take down a wall, city said they need a drawing done by a designer or architect showing what's currently there and what's proposed. Most of the ones I call only do whole house designs, not just kitchens

Told the contractors Im getting permits and they told me not to do that because it's not worth it and no one will care when buying in the future
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #19000
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,461 Times in 5,119 Posts
… I feel like I wouldn’t even tell the city of I was renovating my kitchen lol… how they ever going to find out?
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: