REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Massacre at Elementary School in USA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/677925-massacre-elementary-school-usa.html)

wasabisashimi 12-14-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8107072)
lets assume you don't have a gun...
i'm going to come to your house and punch you in the face for parking like a dumbass. you get angry and I run out. you chase me down and beat the crap out of me. I learn a valuable lesson and need plastic surgury but i'll live. lets say..

Now lets assume you have a gun kept in your garage...
Same story.. only difference is, you will probably go to the garage, pick up the gun and come after me while shooting. one or two of your shots will probably hit me , and kill me.

so the way i see it, guns enable people to kill other people.

Corretion : Mental people kills innocent poeple. If I have a gun, I won't kill you because you are a bad driver. Unless my parents were alcoholic and they used to beat me up for no reason.

vyrospec 12-14-2012 03:55 PM

RIP to victims and condolences to their families. :(

124Y 12-14-2012 03:57 PM

RIP. This is horrible :(

Harvey Specter 12-14-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wasabisashimi (Post 8107093)
Corretion : Mental people kills innocent poeple. If I have a gun, I won't kill you because you are a bad driver. Unless my parents were alcoholic and they used to beat me up for no reason.

Exactly. There's so many people who own guns legally who would never pull their guns out because someone pissed them off.

The media keeps yapping about strict gun control but no one wants to go into details about how they would restrict guns and if restricting guns would prevent mass shootings because in reality you can't prevent these type of shootings. The Norway mass shooter purchased guns legally in a country that has strict gun controls, hell you can flat out ban guns but someone who has a plan to kill will find ways to obtain weapons.

Don't get me wrong, I hate guns and wish they weren't around but at the same time I do respect the rights of gun owners and I personally feel strict gun controls will not prevent mass shootings or other premeditated killings.

HonestTea 12-14-2012 04:05 PM

RIP to the innocent people :(
Posted via RS Mobile

will068 12-14-2012 04:21 PM

What you need is not strict gun laws, but strict bullet laws.

If you are convicted of a crime where bullets fire off your gun, add 20 years for each bullet shot (additional to the years you have to be in jail for the actual crime).

However, even the "bullet control" example I stated will not stop a mentally sick person from going haywire to kids like today in Connecticut, or a couple years ago in Norway.

Hondaracer 12-14-2012 04:24 PM

Took this from wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt:

In 2007, it was ESTIMATED that there are ABOUT 875 million firearms in the world, of which ABOUT 270 million are in the US. There are about 1,135 companies world wide that make about 8 million firearms a year.

so almost 1 gun in 6 people worldwide

there is no way to stop gun crime, specifically in the states where handguns and firearms are so prevalent, if somone was desperate enough they could break into homes until they found a gun

I'm completely pro-gun and pro-ownership, as i am a completely responsible user and treat guns with probably the greatest seriousness and care as i do with anything in my life, As has been said, a gun while beit the tool of many of these psychos is simply one weapon of choice, if guns were banned [which would essentially be impossible] people would find other avenues

Also there is absolutely no deterant for this type of heinous crime, what are you going to say? If you kill more than one person you get the death penalty? These people dont give a FUCK about life, let alone other peoples, there is no deterant for them, the guy basically killed his whole family, not a single fuck was given today.

I feel that assault weapons and handguns really have no place for average civilians. However i also feel that that attitude becomes a slipperly slope as giving up a right to one thing evidently leads to giving up the rights to others

Hondaracer 12-14-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will068 (Post 8107123)
What you need is not strict gun laws, but strict bullet laws.

If you are convicted of a crime where bullets fire off your gun, add 20 years for each bullet shot (additional to the years you have to be in jail for the actual crime).

However, even the "bullet control" example I stated will not stop a mentally sick person from going haywire to kids like today in Connecticut, or a couple years ago in Norway.

As i've posted before, the laws specifically in Canada for being in possession of illegal weapons are ridiculous

Through acquaintances i know of a group of guys, typical wanna-be gangsters who were rolling around and got pulled over, upon vehicle search a cop turned up 2 unregistered/stolen hand guns and ammunition

all 3 in the vehicle were released from custody the same night for future trial

Even if it is a slight deterant, there has to be a HARSH penalty for being in illegal possession for weapons without proper licensing etc, who's to say the guy who gets pulled over with an illegal gun doesnt have sinister motives that could be followed through if he hadnt been caught?

LiquidTurbo 12-14-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8107072)
lets assume you don't have a gun...
i'm going to come to your house and punch you in the face for parking like a dumbass. you get angry and I run out. you chase me down and beat the crap out of me. I learn a valuable lesson and need plastic surgury but i'll live. lets say..

Now lets assume you have a gun kept in your garage...
Same story.. only difference is, you will probably go to the garage, pick up the gun and come after me while shooting. one or two of your shots will probably hit me , and kill me.

so the way i see it, guns enable people to kill other people.

:fulloffuck: what the fuck?

People whine about gun control during these stories, but really, it's not the answer to situations like these. Would gun control stop this guy from locking himself into a room and murdering these kids with an axe or a bomb? I doubt it. Other things are going on, not just gun control.

If you're pro gun control then you might as well be pro-knife control. People kill each other with knives all the time. This is such a tragic story and tough to here. Kids are supposed to feel safe at school. RIP.

Quote:

Thank you.

tiger_handheld 12-14-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachinesedude (Post 8107022)
this story = 29 dead
china story = 22 injured

HUGE difference

what's more realistic, getting rid of the mental people or getting rid of their guns?

gun control, like ASAP, there's a reason we dont have public massacres here in canada

RIP

Quote:

interesting correction. the difference between the mental guy in china and the mental guy in US is, the US guy had a gun, which killed 20 people. In China, it injured 20 people who will probably live. Imagine if the guy in china had a gun - there would be a different headline.

european 12-14-2012 04:48 PM

Like Obama said earlier today, "Our hearts are broken today"

:(

will068 12-14-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8107126)
As i've posted before, the laws specifically in Canada for being in possession of illegal weapons are ridiculous

Through acquaintances i know of a group of guys, typical wanna-be gangsters who were rolling around and got pulled over, upon vehicle search a cop turned up 2 unregistered/stolen hand guns and ammunition

all 3 in the vehicle were released from custody the same night for future trial

Even if it is a slight deterant, there has to be a HARSH penalty for being in illegal possession for weapons without proper licensing etc, who's to say the guy who gets pulled over with an illegal gun doesnt have sinister motives that could be followed through if he hadnt been caught?

WTF at being released on the same day. Man, we're decades behind our laws.

trip 12-14-2012 04:56 PM

A Timeline Of Mass Shootings In The US Since Columbine

Quote:

December 11, 2012. On Tuesday, 22-year-old Jacob Tyler Roberts killed 2 people and himself with a stolen rifle in Clackamas Town Center, Oregon. His motive is unknown.

September 27, 2012. Five were shot to death by 36-year-old Andrew Engeldinger at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, MN. Three others were wounded. Engeldinger went on a rampage after losing his job, ultimately killing himself.

August 5, 2012. Six Sikh temple members were killed when 40-year-old US Army veteran Wade Michael Page opened fire in a gurdara in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. Four others were injured, and Page killed himself.

July 20, 2012. During the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in Aurora, CO, 24-year-old James Holmes killed 12 people and wounded 58. Holmes was arrested outside the theater.

May 29, 2012. Ian Stawicki opened fire on Cafe Racer Espresso in Seattle, WA, killing 5 and himself after a citywide manhunt.

April 6, 2012. Jake England, 19, and Alvin Watts, 32, shot 5 black men in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in racially motivated shooting spree. Three died.

April 2, 2012. A former student, 43-year-old One L. Goh killed 7 people at Oikos University, a Korean Christian college in Oakland, CA. The shooting was the sixth-deadliest school massacre in the US and the deadliest attack on a school since the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.

October 14, 2011. Eight people died in a shooting at Salon Meritage hair salon in Seal Beach, CA. The gunman, 41-year-old Scott Evans Dekraai, killed six women and two men dead, while just one woman survived. It was Orange County’s deadliest mass killing.

September 6, 2011. Eduardo Sencion, 32, entered an IHOP restaurant in Carson City, NV and shot 12 people. Five died, including three National Guard members.

January 8, 2011. Former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-AZ) was shot in the head when 22-year-old Jared Loughner opened fire on an event she was holding at a Safeway market in Tucson, AZ. Six people died, including Arizona District Court Chief Judge John Roll, one of Giffords’ staffers, and a 9-year-old girl. 19 total were shot. Loughner has been sentenced to seven life terms plus 140 years, without parole.

August 3, 2010. Omar S. Thornton, 34, gunned down Hartford Beer Distributor in Manchester, CT after getting caught stealing beer. Nine were killed, including Thornton, and two were injured.

November 5, 2009. Forty-three people were shot by Army psychiatrist Nidal Malik Hasan at the Fort Hood army base in Texas. Hasan reportedly yelled “Allahu Akbar!” before opening fire, killing 13 and wounding 29 others.

April 3, 2009. Jiverly Wong, 41, opened fire at an immigration center in Binghamton, New York before committing suicide. He killed 13 people and wounded 4.

March 29, 2009. Eight people died in a shooting at the Pinelake Health and Rehab nursing home in Carthage, NC. The gunman, 45-year-old Robert Stewart, was targeting his estranged wife who worked at the home and survived. Stewart was sentenced to life in prison.

February 14, 2008. Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University, killing 6 and wounding 21. The gunman shot and killed himself before police arrived. It was the fifth-deadliest university shooting in US history.

February 7, 2008. Six people died and two were injured in a shooting spree at the City Hall in Kirkwood, Missouri. The gunman, Charles Lee Thornton, opened fire during a public meeting after being denied construction contracts he believed he deserved. Thornton was killed by police.

December 5, 2007. A 19-year-old boy, Robert Hawkins, shot up a department store in the Westroads Mall in Omaha, NE. Hawkins killed 9 people and wounded 4 before killing himself. The semi-automatic rifle he used was stolen from his stepfather’s house.

April 16, 2007. Virginia Tech became the site of the deadliest school shooting in US history when a student, Seung-Hui Choi, gunned down 56 people. Thirty-two people died in the massacre.

February 12, 2007. In Salt Lake City’s Trolley Square Mall, 5 people were shot to death and 4 others were wounded by 18-year-old gunman Sulejman Talović. One of the victims was a 16-year-old boy.

October 2, 2006. An Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster, PA was gunned down by 32-year-old Charles Carl Roberts, Roberts separated the boys from the girls, binding and shooting the girls. 5 young girls died, while 6 were injured. Roberts committed suicide afterward.

March 25, 2006. Seven died and 2 were injured by 28-year-old Kyle Aaron Huff in a shooting spree through Capitol Hill in Seattle, WA. The massacre was the worst killing in Seattle since 1983.

March 21, 2005. Teenager Jeffrey Weise killed his grandfather and his grandfather’s girlfriend before opening fire on Red Lake Senior High School, killing 9 people on campus and injuring 5. Weise killed himself.

March 12, 2005. A Living Church of God meeting was gunned down by 44-year-old church member Terry Michael Ratzmann at a Sheraton hotel in Brookfield, WI. Ratzmann was thought to have had religious motivations, and killed himself after executing the pastor, the pastor’s 16-year-old son, and 7 others. Four were wounded.

July 8, 2003. Doug Williams, a Lockheed Martin employee, shot up his plant in Meridian, MI in a racially-motivated rampage. He shot 14 people, most of them African American, and killed 7.

September 15, 1999. Larry Gene Ashbrook opened fire on a Christian rock concert and teen prayer rally at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX. He killed 7 people and wounded 7 others, almost all teenagers. Ashbrook committed suicide.

July 29, 1999. Mark Orrin Barton, 44, murdered his wife and two children with a hammer before shooting up two Atlanta day trading firms. Barton, a day trader, was believed to be motivated by huge monetary losses. He killed 12 including his family and injured 13 before killing himself.

April 20, 1999. In the deadliest high school shooting in US history, teenagers Eric Harris and Dylan Kiebold shot up Columbine High School in Littleton, CO. They killed 13 people and wounded 21 others. They killed themselves after the massacre.

El Bastardo 12-14-2012 05:24 PM

Canada has had five similar school shootings since the Columbine Massacre and almost a half dozen before that.

StylinRed 12-14-2012 06:02 PM

japan has one of the lowest murder rates in the world

there's also strict gun control

the usa has one of the highest murder rates of the developed world and there's no gun control

:)

there's about 2 ppl killed by a firearm a year in Japan
http://www.theatlantic.com/internati...deaths/260189/

Akinari 12-14-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8107191)

the usa has one of the highest murder rates of the developed world and there's no gun control

There's no need for people to murder each other in Japan when it has one of the highest, if not the highest suicide rate anyway :derp:

StylinRed 12-14-2012 06:04 PM

The killer had killed his mom at home already before going to the school to kill the children

according to ABC news

-_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by akinari-kun (Post 8107196)
There's no need for people to murder each other in Japan when it has one of the highest, if not the highest suicide rate anyway :derp:

japans ranked 7th for suicide just above china (south korea is 2nd! holy shit) usa is 38th just above canada

The Facebook guy Ryan, that was posted pages back, is the Older Brother of the murderer! they just showed him on the news! that must be horrible since he was making posts about "it wasn't me, im on the bus headed home" only to find out his parents and brother are dead and that his brother was the murderer :/

GabAlmighty 12-14-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8107191)

there's about 2 ppl killed by a firearm a year in Japan
A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - Max Fisher - The Atlantic

That stat is also only good for murders which they solve, it doesn't take into account deaths they don't solve and I remember watching a documentary which showed that the police would only take on cases where they would be able to solve the murder easily, thus keeping their murder solve rates high and murder deaths low.

jonwon 12-14-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 8107089)
I'd hardly call being dead "getting away with it"... but whatever.

it saves him from the punishment he would most definitely receive in prison. child molesters/pedophiles are at the top of the list of targets in prison, now imagine what would happen to a child killer.

its very heartbreaking for something like this to happen just before christmas...

dinosaur 12-14-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 8107197)
The Facebook guy Ryan that was posted pages back in the Older Brother of the murderer! they just showed him on the news! that must be horrible since he was making posts about "it wasn't me, im on the bus headed home" only to find out his parents and brother are dead and that his brother was the murderer :/

oh man, thats terrible :(

Hondaracer 12-14-2012 06:27 PM

only his mother is dead:

Police: 20 children among 26 victims of Connecticut school shooting - CNN.com

rsx 12-14-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8107219)

eh?

Within minutes, 26 people were dead at Sandy Hook Elementary School -- 20 of them children. Among the six adults killed were Dawn Hochsprung, the school's beloved principal, and school psychologist Mary Sherlach.

Hondaracer 12-14-2012 06:51 PM

It said that interviewed his father after the shooting

Also comparing Japan and the states is irreverent it's completely different culture
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 12-14-2012 06:55 PM

compare it with canada or the uk or france or italy, etc then

even if you cant have a perfect comparison it still says a lot

twitchyzero 12-14-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Bastardo (Post 8107164)
Canada has had five similar school shootings since the Columbine Massacre

link?

I only know of the one that happened at Dawson College