REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 10-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #576
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Talking about JW Island Green Just picked up a bottle from the Duty free store. It's only sold there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg island green.jpg (115.3 KB, 0 views)
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #577
RS Licensed Vendor

Yamazaki 12 was definitely not my type of whisky. I bought a bottle in Japan ($50 CAD) and found it pretty bad. It's what they use as mixing whisky in Japan.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:40 PM   #578
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
Yamazaki 12 was definitely not my type of whisky. I bought a bottle in Japan ($50 CAD) and found it pretty bad. It's what they use as mixing whisky in Japan.
It feels young and rough, compared to Hibiki/others. Wasn't a huge fan of it. Hibiki more to my liking.

Now, the Yamazaki 18 or 25 on the other hand, has had time to mellow significantly. The 25 was spectacular.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #579

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
I liked it.
It's a pretty easy-going sipper that's a little on the sweet side but it's a nice break from my usual peaty stuff.

It does lack a finish so I could see why it'd be good as a mixing whisky in Japan.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #580
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
It feels young and rough, compared to Hibiki/others. Wasn't a huge fan of it. Hibiki more to my liking.

Now, the Yamazaki 18 or 25 on the other hand, has had time to mellow significantly. The 25 was spectacular.
Yep! EXACTLY. I think I prefer JD or Crown Royal over it. I polished off the bottle while I was in Japan, but it took ALOT of effort to get there. It was more of a punishment rather than an enjoyment. LOL

Don't buy it for $100+, it's not worth it. Even $50 wasn't worth it IMO. I might be jaded because I had pretty high expectations, and everyone was telling me to bring back Yamazaki. So because of the hype and low price I got a bottle to try. I definitely prefer Hibiki for the similar price.

I have had Hibiki Jap Harmony and Master Select and love it. Smooth and easy. No nasty bite on the end.

I couldn't justify $500CAD for Yamazaki 18. I've never tried it. 25 I can only imagine how much it is.

What else do you guys like in terms on easy drinking whisky that's budget (<$100)?

My usual's are Maccallan, Glenfiddich, Aberlour, Hibiki. Jameson's is my get "crunk" drink. I'm not much of a peaty whisky type. Wouldn't mind trying something new.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 10-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #581
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Yep! EXACTLY. I think I prefer JD or Crown Royal over it. I polished off the bottle while I was in Japan, but it took ALOT of effort to get there. It was more of a punishment rather than an enjoyment. LOL

Don't buy it for $100+, it's not worth it. Even $50 wasn't worth it IMO. I might be jaded because I had pretty high expectations, and everyone was telling me to bring back Yamazaki. So because of the hype and low price I got a bottle to try. I definitely prefer Hibiki for the similar price.

I have had Hibiki Jap Harmony and Master Select and love it. Smooth and easy. No nasty bite on the end.

I couldn't justify $500CAD for Yamazaki 18. I've never tried it. 25 I can only imagine how much it is.

What else do you guys like in terms on easy drinking whisky that's budget (<$100)?

My usual's are Maccallan, Glenfiddich, Aberlour, Hibiki. Jameson's is my get "crunk" drink. I'm not much of a peaty whisky type. Wouldn't mind trying something new.
Easy drinking sub $100 definitely Dalwhinnie 15 imo

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #582
RS Licensed Vendor

I've heard that too. I'll grab a bottle next time to try

On a side note, Someone brought me back some Ballantines 21 yr. Definitely not my cup of tea. Far better than Yamazaki 12 year though. I think I may not be much of a blended scotch guy.

I got news that Pappy Van Winkle 20 year is releasing Nov 5 for $300 CAD. Extremely limited supplies. Sells for about $100/ounce at bars that have it. Dude at BC Liqour said people likely will be waiting days in advance for it. :S
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 10-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #583

Quote:

Jamieson is fucking horrendous lol
It tastes like vodka to me
I'd like to try other Irish whiskeys though...but a little hesitant to spend the asking going in blind.

Cheap everyday wise, i like J&B and Cutty Sark

Laphroaig is a pretty good place to start if you're interested in peaty. Might be overwhelming at first but it goes so goddamned good with a cigar.

If you've never tried it, i'd recommend Balvenie doublewood. Seems like something you might like based on your usuals. iirc it's under $100 at local stores.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #584
RS Licensed Vendor

I've tried Balvenie Double Wood. I enjoyed it, but not enough to put it on my usuals. lol

Like I said, I like Jameson's when I'm getting crunk, not sipping it slowly for the night. I somehow find it easier on the rocks to handle over Yamazaki 12.

And I drink vodka also, but again. When I'm getting crunk. Don't enjoy the taste much, but it's tolerable. Don't drink it on the norm.

I'm just not into peaty flavours, maybe Talisker kicked my ass too much. I don't enjoy cigars either. I can totally see why people enjoy peaty scotch with a cigar though.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Surprised I never found this thread earlier. Pretty cool to talk to other whisky/bourbon lovers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160922_225331.jpg (182.0 KB, 0 views)
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com

Last edited by Cman333; 10-27-2016 at 02:26 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #585
God of Unce

Mmmmm balvenie, my go to.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #586

Quote:

Glenlivet 15, some interesting ones that are probably not sold here (Kavalan, Laird of Fintry). I didn't buy the Yamazaki 18 or 25, I tasted them at the distillery when I did a tour there while visiting Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Easy drinking sub $100 definitely Dalwhinnie 15 imo
This one is good too, great value for $.
Quote:
I've tried Balvenie Double Wood. I enjoyed it, but not enough to put it on my usuals. lol

Like I said, I like Jameson's when I'm getting crunk, not sipping it slowly for the night. I somehow find it easier on the rocks to handle over Yamazaki 12.

And I drink vodka also, but again. When I'm getting crunk. Don't enjoy the taste much, but it's tolerable. Don't drink it on the norm.

I'm just not into peaty flavours, maybe Talisker kicked my ass too much. I don't enjoy cigars either. I can totally see why people enjoy peaty scotch with a cigar though.
Talisker isn't peaty... try an Ardbeg or Auchentoshan!
fml
Old 10-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #587
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:

Talisker isn't peaty... try an Ardbeg or Auchentoshan!
I have. Ugh. Ha ha. Tastes like camp fire in a glass lol

I recieved a bottle of Talisker Dark Storm, I ended up just selling it a friend instead. Didn't even want to crack it open to try.

I think MAX level of peat I like is JURA. Don't like much more than that. I'll probably eventually develop a taste for it, much like wine. Start off drinking lighter easier stuff and eventually you develop a taste for bolder flavours.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Old 10-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #588

Surprisingly, I've never tried Ballantyne's finest before. Not even the cheap one.
How is it?
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #589
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Surprisingly, I've never tried Ballantyne's finest before. Not even the cheap one.
How is it?
For the price I paid, I don't think I would buy it again. It's mildly peaty but lacks any depth to the flavour. Kinda watered down tasting. It's not horrible, definitely drinkable, but not worth $100+ a bottle.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 06:34 PM   #590
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
You were able to just get a Yamazaki 12 on your trip and for that price?
Yeah, I picked up the Yamazaki 12 during last weeks trip. It was a little on the high end for a 12 years old but all Yamazaki bottle prices has sky rocketed after winning the whiskey of the year award a few years back. I usually only buy one bottle per trip due to customs. For me, my favourite 12 year is the regular Macallan 12.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #591
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Cman, surprised you thought Balvenie was just ok. It is by far my go-to drink as well and it's under a buck, very delicious!
We have similar tastes, I also am not "advanced" enough to be able to enjoy a peaty whiskey. Talisker and Ardberg were very hard to finish haha.

Actually the entire Balvenie line is amazing, haven't had one that I didn't like.
12 Year Doublewood - my go-to.
14 Year Caribbean Cask - sweeter than the rest of the lineup, full of flavour
21 Year Portwood - my newbie pallete can't really tell if this was that much better than the Caribbean Cask lol, pretty similar.
12 Year Triple Cask - currently my daily cuz I picked up a 1L at Dutyfree
12 Year Single Barrel First Fill - This was my least favourite, but it's still very good. It's a bit more smokey.
15 Year Single Barrel Sherry Cask - this is actually my favourite of them all, light, fruity with nice finish

Can't justify or afford the 25 and 30+ years lol
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #592
I subscribe to Revscene

Classes | HOPSCOTCH - Canada's Premium Whisky, Beer, and Spirit Festival

anyone interested? i might give these classes a try
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #593
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmar View Post
Yeah, I picked up the Yamazaki 12 during last weeks trip. It was a little on the high end for a 12 years old but all Yamazaki bottle prices has sky rocketed after winning the whiskey of the year award a few years back. I usually only buy one bottle per trip due to customs. For me, my favourite 12 year is the regular Macallan 12.
Was surprised because Yamazaki 12 has basically been extinct for a while now due to reason we all know as well as price if you were even able to find it was way overpriced. After reading that you basically just grabbed it I looked online at some US sites and to my surprise what was out of stock for as long as I Can remember is suddenly back in stock. I wouldn't mind getting a bottle just for shits and giggles and see what the fuss was all about.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:08 AM   #594
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesespareribs View Post
Talking about JW Island Green Just picked up a bottle from the Duty free store. It's only sold there.
how much did that cost at the duty free? $60?

edit: oops nvm question answered just checked previous pages

Last edited by guurl; 10-28-2016 at 04:19 AM.
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #595

BC LIQUOR STORES ANNIVERSARY - 20 YEAR OLD CANADIAN WHISKY | BC Liquor Stores

anyone pick this up yet?
intriguing for a supposed 20 year old
doesn't seem to say who the distillers are

also, the premium spirit release is coming up Nov 5th
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/flipbooks/spirits/2016/

some interesting ones...most of them i can only dream of having
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 AM   #596
God of Unce

Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #597
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,076 Posts
@ LAX Duty Free earlier today:

In my kitchen now:

Had to. It's a 1L bottle and 750mL here is $290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #598

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
BC LIQUOR STORES ANNIVERSARY - 20 YEAR OLD CANADIAN WHISKY | BC Liquor Stores

anyone pick this up yet?
intriguing for a supposed 20 year old
doesn't seem to say who the distillers are

also, the premium spirit release is coming up Nov 5th
http://www.bcliquorstores.com/flipbooks/spirits/2016/

some interesting ones...most of them i can only dream of having
Picked one up! Will crack it open and report taste back later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.JPG (103.1 KB, 0 views)
fml
Old 10-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #599
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Picked one up! Will crack it open and report taste back later.
got this today, quite tangy with citrus notes. I am not a super fan of canadian whisky but this one would pass as it is very smooth. for a $50 bottle cant really complain.

i wouldnt go out of your way to get it though seems like the whole rack was full of them when i went to BCL in solo
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA9ve View Post
got this today, quite tangy with citrus notes. I am not a super fan of canadian whisky but this one would pass as it is very smooth. for a $50 bottle cant really complain.

i wouldnt go out of your way to get it though seems like the whole rack was full of them when i went to BCL in solo
I found it smooth, with very candy-like notes. Lots of toffee, caramel, vanilla, not a lot of smoke or burn. Rather sweet-tasting?

Not bad, but yeah, wouldn't go out of my way.
fml
This post thanked by: