REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   The Official 2013/2014 Canucks & NHL Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/685584-official-2013-2014-canucks-nhl-thread.html)

spoon.ek9 10-09-2013 04:35 AM

TSN guy called him teenage mutant ninja Hertl lol...

Tim Budong 10-09-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 8335821)
TSN guy called him teenage mutant ninja Hertl lol...

check this out from NHL.com

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...14188712_n.jpg

EuterVanWasser 10-09-2013 06:58 AM

Have to say.. I like what I see early thus far in the season. :notbad:

The aggressive style in the offensive end, and general hustle all around is refreshing - anyone have the stats on take-a-ways last night? It must have been double digit for the Canucks. Granted it is early, but Santorelli has also surprised me. He's looked really good for a 'bottom 6' guy the last two games.

If they can keep this pace up, the Nucks are going to be a much harder team to play against this year; but I still think the need another bottom 6 player in order to compete with the top end teams.

Oh, and I fully agree with iwantaskyline, Torts calling the time out to rest the PP was awesome - we would have NEVER seen that before.. 2nd PP line would have rolled out and that would have been that.

punkwax 10-09-2013 07:12 AM

I'm a little hesitant to praise Torts for playing his top guys so much this early on.

Team is aging and playoffs are a grind. You need to have gas in the tank.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.. I'm just considering his lack of experience behind the bench of the most traveled team in the NHL.

Hopefully he'll give them a bunch of days off as he said he would and its enough.. we'll see!

kristianhay 10-09-2013 07:17 AM

^

Agreed, I think we definitely need another bottom six guy to replace Sestito. The guy is pretty much useless and plays under 5 minutes a game. He played 3 minutes last night.

Jmac 10-09-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancehead (Post 8335793)
haha yeah the timeout. AV would have saved it and kept it in his pocket

He was saving them for the Stanley Cup Finals.

:pokerface:

UFO 10-09-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantaskyline (Post 8335767)
On another note, Torts is looking good. Lots of hustle in this team, lets see if it continues. I don't notice huge changes in the system. D-man still jumping in to pinch whenever possible. It's actually nice seeing the coach motivating the players compared to AV's cool demeanour.

I've noticed a few pretty big changes from the few games I've watched. In the offensive zone, there are usually 2 guys forechecking with 1 guy in pretty deep and the second guy picking up errant passes. The d-men are also pinching and jumping up deep into the play with much more regularity. In the past the d-man will jump into the play or pinch, but rarely get caught up deep past the faceoff dots. For a team that's struggled to score goals and a defense with above average offensive ability, it's great that the system has allowed them to jump into the play more effectively

Defensively I've noticed the forwards playing deeper which leaves the other team's d-men a bit more open at the point. But this closes off the passing lanes back to the point more effectively and the extra support helps to pressure turnovers. IF the puck can get to the point that's where all this talk of shot blocking comes in.

MR_BIGGS 10-09-2013 08:41 AM

With Burrows and Kassian out, Torts does seem to shorten the bench.

It will be good to have those guys back. Really enjoying the aggressive fore check, but over a long season, Canucks are going to get worn out.

TPMarko 10-09-2013 08:54 AM

all this talk about the canucks wearing out because of the forecheck. the LA kings forecheck this aggressively on their way to a cup win in an 82 game season so it can be done. sure the LA kings are a slightly younger team but if the canucks are conditioned well they should be able to handle it.

i rather see the canucks pour it on and give their best effort consistently than the "lets flip a switch" approach like it has been the past couple years.

Razor Ramon HG 10-09-2013 08:55 AM

If you guys can think of it, I'm sure Torts and other members of the coaching staff will have already taken it into consideration.

We no longer have the coach of a team that just got scored 9 times on :troll:

Jmac 10-09-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 8335874)
If you guys can think of it, I'm sure Torts and other members of the coaching staff will have already taken it into consideration.

We no longer have the coach of a team that just got scored 9 times on :troll:

We'll allow 10 tomorrow now that you jinxed us

fishCak3s 10-09-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmac (Post 8335879)
We'll allow 10 tomorrow now that you jinxed us

and we'll get 2 between the legs goals:lawl:

MR_BIGGS 10-09-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPMarko (Post 8335872)
all this talk about the canucks wearing out because of the forecheck. the LA kings forecheck this aggressively on their own to a cup win in an 82 game season so it can be done. sure the LA kings are a slightly younger team but if the canucks are conditioned well they should be able to handle it.

i rather see the canucks pour it on and give their best effort consistently than the "lets flip a switch" approach like it has been the past couple years.

Point taken, but injuries have been the issue for the Canucks when entering the playoffs almost every year. And the Kings are a younger team. On top of that, blocking shots will lead to injuries. Do the Canucks have the depth that the Kings do?

I'm a big fan of forechecking teams. I love the ruthlessness of waive after waive of pressure, forcing teams into mistakes leading to offensive chances. I too want to see that over an 82 game schedule, but is it sustainable? Maybe it will be with conditioning a main emphasis of Torts.

I didn't realize just how well conditioned Santorelli is.

First day of conditioning at camp, Santorelli had the best time for the two-mile run , beating both Sedins, who are fitness fanatics.

Iceman-19 10-09-2013 09:58 AM

So bets on when AV gets canned and becomes a minor league hockey coach?

highfive 10-09-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 8335888)
Point taken, but injuries have been the issue for the Canucks when entering the playoffs almost every year. And the Kings are a younger team. On top of that, blocking shots will lead to injuries. Do the Canucks have the depth that the Kings do?

I'm a big fan of forechecking teams. I love the ruthlessness of waive after waive of pressure, forcing teams into mistakes leading to offensive chances. I too want to see that over an 82 game schedule, but is it sustainable? Maybe it will be with conditioning a main emphasis of Torts.

I didn't realize just how well conditioned Santorelli is.

First day of conditioning at camp, Santorelli had the best time for the two-mile run , beating both Sedins, who are fitness fanatics.

I'm actually becoming a big fan of Santorelli and Torts theory of aggressiveness and requiring a high level of fitness to complete it.

Remember Kesler that year where AV challenged something about his fitness level or something? Kesler replied that he's an elite athlete, he can perform.
With Torts, it shows that there is another level and it's just not about turning on the switch, it's about staying at that level and perform consistently now.

Mike Oxbig 10-09-2013 10:57 AM

AV ride on 2 MVP and Art ross candidates as the winning-est head coach in canucks history and luongo too

torts won with a weak team too in 2004 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Stanley_Cup_Finals
let see what he can do for us :troll:

quasi 10-09-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman-19 (Post 8335909)
So bets on when AV gets canned and becomes a minor league hockey coach?

Not anytime soon, he just signed a 5 year deal. Probably be his wet dream if they fire him and cut him a cheque for 10 million but I can't see it happening.

Mike Oxbig 10-09-2013 11:21 AM

Rangers line up are pretty balance...NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Maybe its not Luongo that have slow starts, its AV!!!! :troll:

MR_BIGGS 10-09-2013 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Three games into the season, no way he gets fired. What team would do that...

Attachment 18805

pastarocket 10-09-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Earl (Post 8335928)
AV ride on 2 MVP and Art ross candidates as the winning-est head coach in canucks history and luongo too

torts won with a weak team too in 2004 2004 Stanley Cup Finals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

let see what he can do for us :troll:

Torts wins a Stanley Cup with a weak team in Tampa Bay? Seriously?
That team was stacked in offence with LeCavalier, St. Louis, Brad Richards, and Dan Boyle. -had the Bulin wall in Khabibulin as their goalie.

That is hardly a weak team.

Sid Vicious 10-09-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS (Post 8335939)
Three games into the season, no way he gets fired. What team would do that...

lol mike brown formerly of the lakers got fired after 5 games

Mike Oxbig 10-09-2013 02:31 PM

H.Sedin, D.Sedin, Kesler Edler and Luongo > 04 tampa core

Spoiler!

Not really racist! 10-09-2013 02:32 PM

shawnly1000 10-09-2013 03:28 PM

Strombone ‏@strombone1 12s
I sure hope someone doesn't Hertl my feelings tomorrow.... #YES #NAILEDIT

Tim Budong 10-09-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 8336107)
Strombone ‏@strombone1 12s
I sure hope someone doesn't Hertl my feelings tomorrow.... #YES #NAILEDIT

GODDAMMIT I LOST IT
:fullofwin: