REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
I dont know what we'd ever do without you two on this forum...
I would respond, but I don't want to get banned from this thread
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #77
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buhdeh View Post
seriously, there was no need for that. dbaz wasn't even being confrontational. but i guess people would rather write a big, angry wall of text full of insults for some thanks.
I'll be the one that determines what I find I have a need to do

I know dbaz. Was my post harsh? Sure. He had his fun, told me to go fuck myself or whatever, and I get a new cool quote for my sig.

'tis over.

But you seem to be happy to put your 2 cents in looking for some thanks. I'll even give ya one Happy?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #78
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,183 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'll be the one that determines what I find I have a need to do

I know dbaz. Was my post harsh? Sure. He had his fun, told me to go fuck myself or whatever, and I get a new cool quote for my sig.

'tis over.

But you seem to be happy to put your 2 cents in looking for some thanks. I'll even give ya one Happy?
if he gets one I want one!!! don't make me whine louder and harder!!!

stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #79
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,927 Times in 224 Posts
Revscene has amazed me the past couple of threads, only to realize that these off topic discussions are coming from past events. Honestly, No wonder a thread can't make it past the 3st page, cause shit gets serious at one point then it becomes unnecessary. I'm not calling anyone out, just a trend I've been noticing.

I log onto my computer in the morning only to go back to my kitchen to get some popcorn for all the stuff I read on here now.
ps.
Spoiler!
Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #80
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessNS View Post
Revscene has amazed me the past couple of threads, only to realize that these off topic discussions are coming from past events. Honestly, No wonder a thread can't make it past the 3st page, cause shit gets serious at one point then it becomes unnecessary. I'm not calling anyone out, just a trend I've been noticing.

I log onto my computer in the morning only to go back to my kitchen to get some popcorn for all the stuff I read on here now.
ps.
Spoiler!
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #81
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Seems like Translink is just listening to us drivers finally start gouging those who use the transportation services and give us drivers some slack

well now lets hope we drivers are given a break from more taxes to pay for bus/train services :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #82
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
if i recall my compass training class, delivered by CUBIC (the folks who made the system for translink), said that each gate can handle 30 people per minute. so a station with 4 gates is 120 people per minute. the numbers will be much lower than that initially when everyone is getting used to the system, but when everyone gets accustomed to it, that sounds like a decent flow of people.

each gate is also programmable for one way entry/exit only. so over time, if there is a huge number of people getting into the trains rather than out, or whatever the case is, the gates can be programmed to let more people in/out for better flow.

everyone here has valid points on the POTENTIAL problems. its all speculation at best. we won't know anything for certain until the system is tested (from the current 5,000 beta testers) or when the system is stress test when its is officially open to the public.

compass is to meant get rid of any current fare media. so obviously people will be pissed with whatever methods translink chooses to phase out the current fare media. you just can't please everyone, no matter what they do. they can only do what they think will best help them as a business and the public's interest.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #83
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Seems like Translink is just listening to us drivers finally start gouging those who use the transportation services and give us drivers some slack

well now lets hope we drivers are given a break from more taxes to pay for bus/train services :/
I wish they were "gouging"

Pretty sure this is them trying to be less in the red. They're already killing employee discount programs too and Ill be surprised if they're not in the hole when numbers come out after all this
Posted via RS Mobile
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #84
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

from reading most of the comments here, it seems like most are not even transit users...

from the question about how the reader knows youre entering or exiting, there are two readers, one on the outside when you enter and one on the inside when you are exiting...

from the bus perspective, it might be a little different as people can exit in front of the bus...if they (translink) explains enough that only the rear scanner would "refund" based on the distance, then it should work...

inconvenient? sure...thats part of life....we already live in a nice place and i would consider this a first world problem...
Old 08-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #85
HELP ME PLS!!!

This is so minor that it shouldn't even be considered a problem.

Just use the Compass Card then.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #86
degenerate extraordinaire

I honestly wonder how the transition was for other major cities, when they implemented the card system.

I think the simplified way the system works in HK, at least for the busses, is that they count how many stops you are away from the busses' final destination/station, and charge based on that (Plus extra fees if you cross a tunnel or bridge I think). Transfers and such are a bit too complex for me to understand, however.

The MTR uses the basic entry gate and exit gate to calculate the distance traveled. If you don't tap the gate to exit, it will charge you the full price.

I look forward to seeing if it will eventually be implemented into our daily lives like how it is with the octopus card, being able to make small purchases and all. Also, being able to refill your card in convenient locations is a bonus!
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #87
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The problem here is, all of the different Translink mediums (buses, Skytrains / Canada Line, Seabus) has always worked as a single integrated system for transit users. You pay the right amount once, and you can use all the different modes of transportation however you want within the valid duration of your ticket. There are discounts available depending on how you pay your fare, but it is still a single integrated payment and ridership system. This has been the norm for as long as I can remember (easily 25+ years). And now Translink is saying "screw you" to all the cash paying riders.
How so? Because the machines at SkyTrain stations can't read paper transfers? So what should they have done, spend a shitload of extra money to add that capability for something that's going to be phased out eventually anyway?

Quote:
People are not necessarily fuming because they have to pay extra to take the Skytrain; they are fuming because of stupidity and poor planning that Translink has once again displayed.
Have they? Really? Or have their plans been forced onto the fast track by constant public, media, and political pressure to implement them before the system is ready for a PROPER one-time roll-out?

The system isn't "fractured". The PAYMENT system is going through a transition. This is not odd, surprising, or unheard-of. This too shall pass, and all will be right with the world again (at least until the next big panic). Get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #88
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
The employee pass program (EEP) and the U-Pass program operated on significantly different standards.

In the case of U-Pass programs, student unions arrange contracts with Translink that ensure a minimum of 95% of a student body will participate in the program. Nine student unions currently participate to a total of 160,000 issued U-Passes.

While in the case of EEP programs, workplaces with over 25 employees were able to register to Translink to participate in the program. 250 employers had been participating to a total of 25,000 passes issued.

The U-Pass program is largely profitable and otherwise effective, despite the deep discount.

The EEP program lost a significant amount of money and was not especially effective.

Therefore, suggesting the cancellation of EEP may be a sign the cancellation of U-Pass is imminent is pure folly.
The beauty of the Compass-type system is that both these things can be implemented and managed a lot easier and cheaper: no need to have separate photo passes, cards, etc. for different programs - people who join the plan simply have the relevant discounts applied to their registered Compass card, and it's all automatic and transparent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #89
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Well I think all of us can agree on one thing:

For a variety of reasons, once this system launches it's going to be a complete and utter gong show for the first few months.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #90
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
How so? Because the machines at SkyTrain stations can't read paper transfers? So what should they have done, spend a shitload of extra money to add that capability for something that's going to be phased out eventually anyway?
There are many different ways to handle the problem that has developed now, so more elegant than others. Off the top of my head, a viable solution is to issue/use on the buses the equivalent of what the 1-time use compass card that are given out when people pay cash at the Skytrain station. This way, there is only 1 system to deal with. Another possible solution (and probably a cheaper one too) is to install a single bus transfer converter machine of some sort that will issue the same single-use campss card that gets dispensed at the Skytrain station. If cash-paying riders are as sparse as Translink claims, a single machine at each Skytrain station should be more than enough. And then you retain the continuity with the single fare system that we currently have, instead of leaving people out cold.

Yes, it will cost a bit of extra money. But it won't be the "shxtload of extra funds" that you claim they'll need.
Quote:
The system isn't "fractured". The PAYMENT system is going through a transition. This is not odd, surprising, or unheard-of. This too shall pass, and all will be right with the world again (at least until the next big panic). Get over it.
Years ago when I visited Hong Kong, I think the subway system there was undergoing a similar transition from magnetic fare cards to their current Octopus smart card system. For at least a good long while, both systems were retained. I don't remember the details anymore, but I'm pretty sure that for a time, the single use magnetic fare cards were used along side of the Octopus smart cards. That was a good transition because no passengers were left out in the cold. The proposed plan that Translink has for us is flawed, because cash-paying riders are getting screwed.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #91

there will be one time use compass fares if i am not mistaken. but i believe that it will be cheaper to buy the actual compass card and to load money on it.

i was also told that the actual card, actually costs $6. how they will incorporate that into the costs of fares/cards, i do not know.

i don't think cash paying fare riders are getting screwed, it is just more beneficial for them to get the compass card.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #92
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Card costing $6.. probably have something like you can go into the negatives once, so even if you have not enough money on the card you can still travel that one way distance

I'm more curious about reloading the card and how convenient it'll be...

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #93
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
I'd flex my real penis over this site too if it was socially acceptable.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not really racist! View Post
Card costing $6.. probably have something like you can go into the negatives once, so even if you have not enough money on the card you can still travel that one way distance

I'm more curious about reloading the card and how convenient it'll be...
from what i understand, it should be fairly easy and convenient to reload. i am not sure if this is implemented with roll out, but i've been told that you can do auto reloads. i think the new machines that they have installed also allows you to reload.

stadium skytrain station is where the main compass office will be to help people out and possibly also purchase in that location.

EDIT: here we go. http://www.straight.com/blogra/41034...rld-class-city

Last edited by SoNaRWaVe; 08-14-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: article
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #95
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
The beauty of the Compass-type system is that both these things can be implemented and managed a lot easier and cheaper: no need to have separate photo passes, cards, etc. for different programs - people who join the plan simply have the relevant discounts applied to their registered Compass card, and it's all automatic and transparent.
The point of the photos on upasses was that it would impede the sale of a upass to someone not eligible.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #96
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
They could rig up a card reader from a bus to one of the gates. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to do.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #97
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

lol @ people bitching about having to carry one more card.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #98
degenerate extraordinaire

For Octo card, they too charge a $50 hkd refundable deposit

"Our basic Octopus product. It comes with a refundable HK$50 deposit which covers HK$30 card cost and ensures uninterrupted Octopus service in case of negative value. Child, Adult and Elder cards are available."
Standard Octopus - Octopus Hong Kong

The people who are comparing this system to HK should not be complaining.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #99
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkaku View Post
For Octo card, they too charge a $50 hkd refundable deposit

"Our basic Octopus product. It comes with a refundable HK$50 deposit which covers HK$30 card cost and ensures uninterrupted Octopus service in case of negative value. Child, Adult and Elder cards are available."
Standard Octopus - Octopus Hong Kong

The people who are comparing this system to HK should not be complaining.
Oh yes, won't you think of the homeless then.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #100
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNaRWaVe View Post
from what i understand, it should be fairly easy and convenient to reload. i am not sure if this is implemented with roll out, but i've been told that you can do auto reloads. i think the new machines that they have installed also allows you to reload.

stadium skytrain station is where the main compass office will be to help people out and possibly also purchase in that location.

EDIT: here we go. A long list of public transit gripes in a so-called world-class city | Georgia Straight
Wow, reading that article got me to jump the fence on this issue. Sounds pretty Biased. But the taking away Free rides for families on Sundays?! That's some money grabbing bullshit right there.

WTF, implementing compass to stop fare evaders? what a bullshit reason. I'm sure fare evaders will still find a way to get past the gates. it's not that hard to jump the gates.

Where the hell is this 15 mil per year to run this going to?!

I love public transit, I've ridden public transit in eight different cities, Vancouver ranks somewhere in the middle.

I'm hoping still, in the long run this compass thing will help with their decision making.

Last edited by DragonChi; 08-14-2013 at 08:45 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote