REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 10-04-2013, 04:33 AM   #26
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I use M-Audio Q40's paired with the Fiio e11 amp at home. The combo results in a nice, punchy bass which is perfect for the genres I listen to.

These Shure se215ltd's come out to play when I need to listen on the go. The fitment, seal, and noise cancelling is just awesome.

I usually listen to trance, happy hardcore, kpop and jpop.
Advertisement
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #27

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willystyle View Post
Thinking about getting the ATH-M50, how are they with listening to Jazz?

I currently own a Sony MDR-XB500, these are bass junkies, has alot of bass, but not so good with Jazz/Classical, will I notice a significant difference with the M50?
Honestly, the M50's will work well with just about any genre.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
There are 2 types of drivers for earbuds.
Your cheaper dynamic drivers, and then the more expensive ones using balanced dynamic drivers.
Yes, you can find amazing dynamic drivers on IEMs, but for the most part, the balanced armature ones are the ones you want.

Then there are 2 different types of seating.

Buds (Like dollar store stuff, sony stuff, jelly beans and apple)

And behind the 2nd bend.

Behind the 2nd bend is where you will find all the nicer ones (Shure, westone, etymotic, earsonic).

Full customs are also behind the 2nd bend.
I prefer the "behind the 2nd bend" type for isolation. The decibel attenuation is amazing.
Active noise cancellation is a bit of a gimmick to me and will not cancel as much noise as these can block.
Consider that ones that musicians wear on stage are "behind the 2nd bend".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
I'm looking for some in ear that I can use for daily commute via transit. Don't know where I put my JVCs.
Behind the 2nd bend is simply where it's at.
It Blocks out the bus, the inane chatter of idiots and most of the squeal of the skytrain.
It's how I ensure I stay sane during my morning commute. I sent my IEMs in to get repaired once, Showed up grumpy to work every day.
Instead of universal tips, I got custom tips done up, went to an audiologist and had impressions made then they ship them out to get molds made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
What did you like about the 530s, how do they compare to the Apple IEMs?

I'm curious what the triple drivers sound like.
I went from dynamic, to double to triple drivers.
I'm never looking back.

Last edited by Culverin; 10-04-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
I'm never looking back.
I went to 4.

I used to have a great collection... now I'm down to mostly IEM's.

Before:

I was on a real wood kick on my headphones... almost all of them had wood cups.

Audio-Technica ESW-9

UE Triple.Fi 10's

Group shot:
Left - DT770's turned into Darth Beyers. These were the 600-Ohm version
Center - Grado RS-2's
Right - Audio-Technica ATH-W1000 Sovereign

Now:

Ultimate Ears UE11 - 4-driver custom IEM

Klipsch S7i's

I didn't include amps because it would take another post to properly detail!
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #30
HELP ME PLS!!!

^Oh god! so jelly!

UE11, four drivers, custom molds!

How do you find them? How long have you had them? Have you any issues with the wires and internal fraying?
They look like a good pair for me, but I'm concerned about what to do if the wires shit the bed.

You forgot what music you listen to.

Yeah, I agree, having IEMs is the only way to stay sane on public transit. Well, any type of transit where you're not driving.

Fuck this thread is going to burn a hole in my bank account. Just when I thought I was done buying headphones forever.... FUCK!

Last edited by DragonChi; 10-05-2013 at 03:51 PM.
DragonChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #31
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

akg q701
Atsui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
So glad I came across this thread...I've been browsing Amazon for about a month now trying to find a new pair of headphones.

I've been rocking Bose On-Ear and Over-Ear headphones for about 5 years now and I am ready to jump to something better. I've tried QC-15's in the past and thought maybe that might be the way to go but now I'm going to look into the Audiotechnia ATH-M50.

Oh and big thanks to most posters in this thread who understood the purpose of this thread...Pictures, model names and personal reviews are what help people like me get some direction on which headphones are good and bad, well-liked and disliked. I never understood why people just post photos in threads like this without adding their $0.02. :P
Old 10-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
I am Hook'd on RS

Started with Senn CX 300s...

Onto Monster Turbine Pro Copper...

Then got the Senn Amperiors last week for on the go use.

And then obviously the modded Senn HD555s for home use.

I mostly listen to instrumental goodies and some more classic stuff (think Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc).
I prefer the HD555s for their neutral sound, not too dynamic. With the mod they lost some bass but allowed the mids to come out a bit more.
The Amperiors are great for on the go use and very dynamic. However they are quite sibilant at times to my sensitive ears (and push kinda hard on the head).
Turbines are mostly neutral with a punchy but not very defined bass. Good for most pop music.

CX300s... I try not to use them if I don't have to lol.

Last edited by bottle; 10-04-2013 at 11:32 PM.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #34
I STILL don't get it

With the dynamic vs BA debate, it doesn't hurt to have a good example of both if you can. The dynamic drivers (sorry if this doesn't through clearly, I'm tired) have a certain impact to them. Done right, you can hear and feel the bass; my Atrios extend well into the sub bass frequencies, with very clean bass.

For accuracy, I'd go to a BA any day though, even single driver earphones can be amazing.

Oh, and BA (generally) wins for isolation as well. A lot of dynamic drivers tend to be vented. If you want passive isolation, try Etys. They're pretty much earplugs, but unfortunately on transit the lower frequency noise does still tend to get through. IMO active noise cancellation actually does deal with that better.

By the way, any opinions on the HD598s? I was looking to get a pair a while back, but never got around to it.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #35
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Sticking with budget items for now, but I end up spending a ton on too many budget things anyway over the past few years, thanks Head-Fi...

JVC FXD80 - amazing for the money, insanely fun sound signature without having a recessed midrange, out-of-this-world instrumental separation and airiness, transient response is unheard of at this price range of around $80. Seriously, these are probably the best IEMs for under $100. Top-notch quality from JVC/Kenwood, only available in Japan.

JVC S500 - the best headphone money can buy for under $50 hands down. In fact, it only costs $35 when converted from yen to CAD (also only available in Japan) and I assure you, thanks to Head-Fi's massive 500 page appreciation thread on these, I am a disbeliever turned believer. These things are outstanding, and surpass many cans I've heard that cost nearly 10 times as much, not kidding at all. They need a good 100 hour or so burn in, but after that, they are unbelievable. One of the most versatile on-ear cans you'll ever encounter, that really sound more like full-size cans than portables.

I have mine with Audio Technica WS55 pads, as the stock pads are not so comfortable. Putting these on makes these into over-ears, much more comfortable and balances out the bass.

Panasonic RP-HTX7 - the hipster over ears, used to love these until I discovered the S500s, but I still do like these very much. A very clear and well-balanced sound signature with tons of brightness which I like. Also wonderful sound isolation.

And then some old cheap Sony IEMs, EX300s, EX500s, EX57s, and some old UE350s I use for working out.

Honestly my PC audio setup is more significant than my headphone collection at the moment. Have Fostex PM0.4n monitors hooked up to an ODAC, pure unmolested audio bliss.

[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:08 AM   #36

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts

currently rocking these. the sony mdr-xb500. i honestly love these things because of how comfy they are. they look goofy as hell on my head, but they're just so pillowy soft. lol. these headphones are more geared towards music with heavy bass.

i usually just listen to hip hop/rap but i'll throw on some rock from time to time too.

the next pair of headphones that i plan to purchase are these guys,

the jaybird bluebird x. they're a wireless, bluetooth unit that's getting some pretty rave reviews. check out a review here ---> JayBird BlueBuds X Review & Rating | PCMag.com
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:29 PM   #37
Kick' In' Duh' Bass

Thanked 1,692 Times in 405 Posts

> 2005 Acura TSX ASPEC <
> 2003 Acura RSX-S <
> 1994 Acura Intergra LS <
> 1994 Honda Civic SI <
> 1991 Acura Integra GS < ( RIP )
-EuroRSN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts

Koss PortaPro (for travel.)

Wireless, over the ear, and cheap headphones from Sony.

I generally listen to NuDisco, House and EDM.
Klondike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
love the koss portapros but it seems like the are also the headphone of choice for creepy looking pedophiles and overweight nerds.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #40
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,496 Times in 555 Posts
No those would be skullcandies and Winners brand headphones.

80's retro pedophileness, but the sound quality is worth it

Got it off Amazon for $35 and it's $60 at London Drugs.
The metal headband does grab onto hair.

Last edited by Klondike; 10-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Klondike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #41
RS Licensed Vendor

For Music

For PC Gaming

For Xbox

The Focal's rock.....Sennheiser's are pretty decent, but the Turtle beaches are "meh"....
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #42
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Senn HD202II...$16 from Amazon but headband is so tight
cheapie IEMs: Senn CX 475, Sony EX38, Meelec M21 (terrible fitment)
no DAC/sound card/limited FLAC library means no nice audio gear for me
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:56 AM   #43

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
For Music

The Focal's rock.....Sennheiser's are pretty decent, but the Turtle beaches are "meh"....
You've been pushing Focal since the day I met you! And for good reason!

Didn't realize they made headphones too! You got me to change my Bose car speakers to Focal and now you just might've convinced me to drop my Bose headphones and try out a pair of Focals!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #44
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Fawwwwk this thread makes me so jelly all the headphones out there.

I'm looking for some in ear that I can use for daily commute via transit. Don't know where I put my JVCs.
You know no idea how many ear plugs I lost over 2years.... Also the stupid stud they have, I keep losing them.....

Been using a pair of Klipsch image one pretty decent for the price right now
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #45
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,170 Times in 1,552 Posts
I was quite happy with my old-school, made in japan, Sony MDR-V500 headphones. I paid $100 for them back in the late 90s, and haven't found anything to replace them. Recently, I bought a pair of Marshall Majors on sale for $40 (MSRP ~$100). They did not sound as good as the Sonys. I gave them to my wife, and she loves them.

Thanks to RFD, I bought the Seinnheiser Amperior (HD25) for $140. Momentums were on sale too, but too rich me. I've only listened to them for a few minutes, but they are a significant improvement over my beloved Sonys. However, for such expensive headphones, they have some flimsy looking plastic to hold it altogether. They're supposed to be for portable use, but I question the durability.

Last edited by Presto; 01-15-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #46
Need to Seek Professional Help

^ I bought these too! I did some reading online before buying them and found that they're supposed to be pretty durable. When I took it out of the box I didn't expect them to feel that way.. I guess time will tell.

To those who have the Momentums, how do you like it? What kind of music do you listen to?
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #47
Zombie Mod

I noticed Momentum on-ear headphones for $220, but I wasn't prepared to spend that much. Plus, it wasn't that much of a discount with the original price at $250. It looks like the only difference between those and the over-ear, $400 version is the form factor? Drivers look to be the same. At normal pricing ($300), how can the Amperiors compete?
Old 01-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #48
Zombie Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
....However they are quite sibilant at times...
Thanks for the headphone lexicon level-up!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #49
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
There are 2 types of drivers for earbuds.
Your cheaper dynamic drivers, and then the more expensive ones using balanced dynamic drivers.
Yes, you can find amazing dynamic drivers on IEMs, but for the most part, the balanced armature ones are the ones you want.

Then there are 2 different types of seating.

Buds (Like dollar store stuff, sony stuff, jelly beans and apple)

And behind the 2nd bend.

Behind the 2nd bend is where you will find all the nicer ones (Shure, westone, etymotic, earsonic).

Full customs are also behind the 2nd bend.
I prefer the "behind the 2nd bend" type for isolation. The decibel attenuation is amazing.
Active noise cancellation is a bit of a gimmick to me and will not cancel as much noise as these can block.
Consider that ones that musicians wear on stage are "behind the 2nd bend".

Behind the 2nd bend is simply where it's at.
It Blocks out the bus, the inane chatter of idiots and most of the squeal of the skytrain.
It's how I ensure I stay sane during my morning commute. I sent my IEMs in to get repaired once, Showed up grumpy to work every day.
Instead of universal tips, I got custom tips done up, went to an audiologist and had impressions made then they ship them out to get molds made.

I'm never looking back.

Interesting you brought this stuff up!

I just sent off my impressions! I ordered the 1964 Ears V6S.... I tried them inperson awhile back... pretty damn excited for them to come!

My Shure IEM's broke while I was on vacation in asia awhile back.... I am still pissed listening to people in school everyday...
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #50
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,187 Times in 2,411 Posts
Current: Grado SR80, AKG K81DJ, FiiO E10, Pocket Amp 2 V2 (PA2V2)

Previous (of what I can remember): Portapros, Sony D66 Eggos, Sennheiser HD201, Koss KSC35, Little Dot Micro
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote