REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #326
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFlush View Post
I'm pretty sure blogs and websites are already allowed to be posted and advertised for free on RS as long as they are in a post and not starting a new thread to check it out.
Hasn't been like that before. Some someone posted the needed a new CD player for there car and a non sponsor posted they would bet banned. That's how forbidden audio got banned.
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
If this goes through, then if someone was to ask where they could buy gas in Nanaimo, sure you would be able to make a post like that.
So I could post up my apartment rentals, vacation rentals and any other business I have including any parties I DJ because I have 2 coming up.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:23 AM   #328
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

John if you don't mind me asking, what costs are associated with your ventures, before tax of course? I'm assuming what you claim you make is revenue and not the net profit. And since we're being honest here, how much have you net in the last 2 years? Is this passive income continuing to grow or has it been more of a stable thing?
NKC ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #329
TTZ
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Because you trade points for your car. Also the company pays for the car and where do you think that money comes from? It comes from the your sales make. Instead of giving you are car they could have just given you more cash. But a free car sounds better to gullible people.
The points don't cost me anything. I didn't buy them or have to pay for them. If you didn't pay for it and you get to have it, then it's free.

If your friends takes you out for dinner, then you have a free dinner. Sure, you may have earned it because you help him moved or something, but you still have a free diner. Your friend didn't have to buy it for you. The free car is the same way. The company didn't have to buy (or lease in this case) it for me. They added the program as an additional reward on top of everything else. I wasn't expecting it, but it was a nice surprise.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #330
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
You understand what you're suggesting is that if someone is a sponsor, any other competitor in that same nature who is not a sponsor cannot be discussed, applauded or reviewed in any way?

The job of the website is to provide advertisement space. Not to eliminate conversation of the competition. It's not the yellow pages, it's an automotive forum that has a primary purpose of providing local knowledge and insights on the car scene. How can you do that if you're only restricted about talking about people who pay for sponsorship.

The YellowPages would have an obligation to ensure fair practice and opportunity for advertisement space. This is a discussion lead medium that can and should only guarantee the displaying of a sponsor's advertisement. What's next, can't post a deal that I find at Future Shop because SoundsGood Audio sells the same product? Can't recommend Meguilers Wax because Autowerks doesn't sell it?
I like this post because you make a solid argument, yet miss the point entirely. Don't worry I bolded it for you.

THIS IS AN AUTOMOTIVE FORUM. I don't care that this is posted in the "off topic" area it has no place being posted on RS. In fact I believe RS has too many off-topic areas of discussion altogether, CiC needs to be banned and we need to get rid of the fight club area...

Back on topic, just because MTTB has tweaked the formula for income in that you only receive money back on the two people you recruit does not mean that its not an MLM. There are still multiple levels, its just the person at the top doesnt get money from the people at the bottom.

Back in the day they used to do what were called 8-ball MLM's. Where each person could only ever recruit 2 people, and those 2 people could only recruit 2 people, was this not an MLM because you couldnt recruit more than 2 people? Fuck no, of course it was still an MLM.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #331
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Sorry but we are no longer just a car forum. We aren't about to say "No, we don't want your traffic." to all the different folks that talk about all sorts of different topics here on REVscene.

You don't have to go to the off-topic areas.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Sorry but we are no longer just a car forum. We aren't about to say "No, we don't want your traffic." to all the different folks that talk about all sorts of different topics here on REVscene.

You don't have to go to the off-topic areas.
No we are a vancouver lifestyle forum as well, but I don't believe this falls under that topic either.

Anyways I reached out to CBC because I thought Mr. Chow's "CBC documentary" looked pretty amateurish. Here is their response:

Quote:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email. The Documentary Programming department of CBC-TV has not and is not producing a documentary about John Chow. As I am not aware of the details and where you have seen the reference to this documentary , I cannot make any further comment.

Best regards,
Nadine Simunic

Nadine Simunic
Assistant to Mark Starowicz, Executive Director, Documentary Programming
Adjointe de Mark Starowicz, Directeur général, Émissions documentaires
CBC Television +1 (416) 205-8736
Home - Documentaries | CBC

Old 10-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTZ View Post
The points don't cost me anything. I didn't buy them or have to pay for them. If you didn't pay for it and you get to have it, then it's free.

If your friends takes you out for dinner, then you have a free dinner. Sure, you may have earned it because you help him moved or something, but you still have a free diner. Your friend didn't have to buy it for you. The free car is the same way. The company didn't have to buy (or lease in this case) it for me. They added the program as an additional reward on top of everything else. I wasn't expecting it, but it was a nice surprise.
The car is a reward for work. If you have to work for something it's not free.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #334
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
No we are a vancouver lifestyle forum as well, but I don't believe this falls under that topic either.

Anyways I reached out to CBC because I thought Mr. Chow's "CBC documentary" looked pretty amateurish. Here is their response:
I don't want to sound like a dick but...there's no other way to say it: it doesn't matter what you believe.

I believe it was a documentary on social media in Vancouver and it was produced by a third party with funding from the CBC, where it aired. John was just one of the three segments of the doc. One was on John, one was Hootsuite and one was...I think something at a university. Don't remember.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #335

Ronin you get your free Mercedes yet? Because they are handing them out for free!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #336
TTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKC ONE View Post
John if you don't mind me asking, what costs are associated with your ventures, before tax of course? I'm assuming what you claim you make is revenue and not the net profit. And since we're being honest here, how much have you net in the last 2 years? Is this passive income continuing to grow or has it been more of a stable thing?
I have two dedicated servers from HostGator. They cost $600 per month.
My email list is hosted by Aweber. At its current size, the bill is $1,000 per month.
The Content Delivery Network (CDN) cost about $100 per month.
VaultPress Back Service cost $40 per month.
LinkTrackr tracking service cost $69 per month.
Vimeo Pro account cost $17 per month.
LeadPages landing page service cost $67 per month.
1000 attendee Go-To-Webinar service cost $499 per month.
Accounting and legal average $300 per month.
Advertising and promotions average $1,000 per month.

Adding it up bring the cost of running my business to $3,692 a month. There are some smaller costs that I didn't include, like $45 a year for a Flickr Pro and $45 a year for a Premium Evernote account, but those are the fixed costs I pay every month.

Mind you, this is the cost of my entire operation. If this was just MTTB, all you would need is LeadPages, Aweber, LinkTrackr, and a basic $5 per month HostGator account.

I've only been with MTTB for a year and a month, so I don't have two years income to show you. This is my stats for the past 30 days.

From Sept 17 to Oct 17, I generated $178,804.47 in total revenue. There was $441 of refunds. My net commissions from the sales were $61,994.77. This was generated by sending 5,156 unique visitors to the various MTTB sales pages. Each visitor was worth $12.02.

At companies events, "cheques" are presented to licensees. These represent how much the licensee has earned in net commissions since joining. At the March event (I joined in Sept so six months) I got a cheque for $128,804.40.

Four months later, that cheque went to $206,047.95.

At the next event in December, the cheque is estimated to be over $500,000. So pretty good growth.

In addition to the commissions, I'm given a 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL550 for free. It's a two year lease and MTTB pays for it. While I don't pay for the car, this is a taxable benefit to me and it will have to be included in my tax return.

The company also hold monthly contests with mostly cash prizes. I won $25,000 cash in the last one.

Since joining MTTB, I have won $73,000 in cash, $15,000 in gold coins, a $5,000 trip to Fiji (which I haven't took yet), and a Macbook Air.

Adding it all up, I estimate my MTTB net income in 2013 will be around $600,000 on $1.6 to $1.7 million gross revenue.

My blog used to have an income case study where I post how much it made every month and what I did to make it. The case study started in September 2006 and ran for two years. At the end of the two year period, the blog income was over $40K a month, with a daily average readership of 50,000. Today, the blog has an daily average readership of 250K. It's safe to say the blog income is doing OK.

I try to automate everything as much as possible. The most time consuming thing in my business is my blog because it requires me to actually write articles for it. I do have three writers that provide additional content, but because the blog is named John Chow dot Com, readers expect to see me on it. My information product sales (which I haven't talked about) and MTTB are pretty much fully automated.

The really funny thing is when I tell people how much it cost to run my Internet business, they are shocked that it cost so much! I guess people expect everything on the Internet for free. Seriously, how many million dollar businesses do you know that can be ran on less than $4K a month?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #337

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROP-Money-500-000-00-Lot-50-x-10k-Filler-Bundles-New-100-Bills-Movie-Stacks-/300933007446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4611014856
So you claim you won 73k. Is mttb running some type of lottery?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #338
TTZ

Quote:
Back in the day they used to do what were called 8-ball MLM's. Where each person could only ever recruit 2 people, and those 2 people could only recruit 2 people, was this not an MLM because you couldnt recruit more than 2 people? Fuck no, of course it was still an MLM.
You can refer as many licensees as you want to MTTB. There is no limit.

Like I said multiple times now, it's a 2-tier affiliate program. Just like the one Google used when they launched Google AdSense. I was making money by running Google ads on my blog. I was also making money by referring other bloggers to run Google ads on their blogs. Google gave me a cut of the money from the blogs I referred. If those other bloggers referred other bloggers to Google, Google pays those blogs a commission. I get nothing.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. But feel free to keep going with your MLM bent.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #339
TTZ

Quote:
Here's the full documentary on the CBC website. Enjoy! Generation Social: The Vancouver Network - Absolutely Canadian - CBC Player
Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #340

Quote:
I don't want to sound like a dick but...there's no other way to say it: it doesn't matter what you believe.
And what you believe does matter? In the words of another member:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapman View Post
okay okay, no but seriously. I srsly hate it when people say something like "I don't mean to..." or "I don't want to sound". Pretty sure I'm not the only one either.

Quote:
I believe it was a documentary on social media in Vancouver and it was produced by a third party with funding from the CBC, where it aired. John was just one of the three segments of the doc. One was on John, one was Hootsuite and one was...I think something at a university. Don't remember.
So then John should stop mis-representing the information shouldn't he?

Cause he clearly stated:

Quote:
The CBC did this documentary on me last year (not that anyone watches CBC documentaries).

The John Chow Story - YouTube
Then in his (frankly ridiculous) video (below), he states at 3:45 again that the documentary was done "BY CBC".

He is clearly stating that the research was done by someone at CBC, and that it was verified by them; however, this is clearly not the case.

EDIT: oh and the funny part of his "driving with john chow" video is right after he states it was done by the CBC he goes on to explain "for the american viewers who dont know what the CBC is" that it is similar to the BBC (not an american broadcasting service, its british). I don't know if that means he thinks that the BBC is american or if he just used a really stupid example...

Last edited by meme405; 10-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #341
TTZ

^ I hope you realize how badly you're being owned right now.

Once again. Here's the full documentary on the CBC website. Enjoy! Generation Social: The Vancouver Network - Absolutely Canadian - CBC Player
Old 10-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #342

Quote:
You can refer as many licensees as you want to MTTB. There is no limit.

Like I said multiple times now, it's a 2-tier affiliate program. Just like the one Google used when they launched Google AdSense. I was making money by running Google ads on my blog. I was also making money by referring other bloggers to run Google ads on their blogs. Google gave me a cut of the money from the blogs I referred. If those other bloggers referred other bloggers to Google, Google pays those blogs a commission. I get nothing.

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. But feel free to keep going with your MLM bent.
You're so dumb, my point was that MLM's come in all forms and shapes and sizes, the fact that they are all a little different is what allows them to co-exist and continues to keep making people fall for this stupid shit.

AND STOP COMPARING MTTB TO GOOGLE, google did not make people shell out $2000. Understand that we are never actually talking about the product you are selling, because the product you are selling is garbage (hence why google dumped it and moved on), we are always talking about the recruitment of people, because that is what the business actually is.

Again, MLM's come in all different forms, I have demonstrated a bunch of different types, just because your format does not suit these types does not mean it is not an MLM, just means its a new format...

To be clear there is only two options here, there is single tiered marketing, and multi level, since this is clearly not single tiered it must me multi tiered.

You cannot debate this anymore...

This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #343

Quote:
^ I hope you realize how badly you're being owned right now.

Once again. Here's the full documentary on the CBC website. Enjoy! Generation Social: The Vancouver Network - Absolutely Canadian - CBC Player
You posted at basically the same time as me, so I didn't get to see your post while making mine, so no I am not being owned.

Again, THE ACTUAL INFORMATION REPORTED WAS NOT VALIDIFIED BY CBC, they simply helped fund the video.

You are lying when you present it as if the CBC stands behind what you are doing. And either way the video never talks about MTTB it is only talking about your blog, so MTTB is still a scam.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #344
TTZ

Quote:
To be clear there is only two options here, there is single tiered marketing, and multi level, since this is clearly not single tiered it must me multi tiered.

You cannot debate this anymore...
So you think a 2-tier affiliate program is a MLM? OK! When I'm in Vegas for the Affiliate Summit in January, I'll be sure to tell eBay, Google Affiliate Network (another division of Google), ClickBank, and all those other ad networks that they are running a MLM business!

BTW - they're making a documentary movie about me. It comes out in 2014. You want to dispute that like the CBC documentary? Come on. Do it. I know you want to!
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #345
TTZ

Quote:
You posted at basically the same time as me, so I didn't get to see your post while making mine, so no I am not being owned.

Again, THE ACTUAL INFORMATION REPORTED WAS NOT VALIDIFIED BY CBC, they simply helped fund the video.

You are lying when you present it as if the CBC stands behind what you are doing. And either way the video never talks about MTTB it is only talking about your blog, so MTTB is still a scam.
I guess you never worked at the CBC or any TV station before. Standard procedure for anything airing through the CBC (or the Province or Vancouver Sun) must first be viewed by legal and the fact checking team.

I've been interviewed enough times to know how it works. After the reporter talks to me, I would get calls from a rep at the news outlet to fact check.

I don't see why I'm even debating this point. Anyone who has ever worked at a news outlet knows this.

You accused me of posting a fake CBC documentary. When I show the doc, you completely ignore that you were wrong, and then claim the CBC didn't fact check. But wait! You said the CBC never did a documentary on me so how could they fact check? Just give up on this one. You lost. Pick something else to flight over.

Last edited by TTZ; 10-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.
TTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #346
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I think meme405 is about to have a stroke.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #347
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
This is fucking shameful.

How, HOW, in a 2-on-1 battle against one little guy on the internet can you lose so horribly bad?

He's an internet marketer for christ's sake. Half the work is done for you.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #348
...in the world.

I don't know why I expected you to know this but a lot of the content on CBC is created by contractors. They pitch stories to the CBC, they get approved funding and then they shoot it. I don't know how the process works but having been interviewed by them for food, hockey and other Vancouver related things, only twice were they actual CBC employees, if that's what you're wondering.

One of the three segments was called "The John Chow Story" and aired on CBC, paid for by CBC, and one of the guys there was wearing a CBC jacket. You can mail whoever you want but...I was in the video, I think I would know.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #349
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
John, who decides what font type to use for those large cheques?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #350
TTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
John, who decides what font type to use for those large cheques?
I don't know. It wasn't me.