REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 04-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #476
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
@Roastpuff:

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the same flights on the AP site too haha.

Unfortunately, I am trying to leave on Thursday and arrive Friday Morning. Otherwise I would definitely look into the SEA-NRT-SIN route.

I will most likely book my whole itinerary in mid to end of May. Do you think that's a little early on booking? A couple years back I booked a trip in September for a December trip and it was perfect with all direct flights etc. but it was after waiting weeks of searching on AP site and horrible transfer route results. I read on FT that this a rare occurrence...
You're welcome! I never say it is too early. What you can do if you're willing is to book a route now, and then change it to a better one in the future if you're okay with paying the $90 change fee that Aeroplan charges. For example, you could go YVR-PVG-SIN with AC and SQ, and then change it to YVR-SEA-TPE-SIN with BR when they release space.

At any rate, I hope the links have been useful. I'd use Award Nexus to find flights if you want to book by phone.

In fact I just took advantage of a rare glitch and booked OSL-FRA-LAX in Lufthansa F for Mar 2016 - that's a year away.

EDIT: Also, look at alternative West Coast gateways - SEA, SFO, LAX can all provide interesting routings with better products than YVR.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #477
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
It was never permissible to YVR, you couldn't make MPM. I think they've cut the MPM so you can't do YYZ-Asia via EU anymore, they've tightened it up considerably. There is a new thread here with the new permissible MPMs: Aeroplan City-Pair Mileage - Pseudo-MPM

Return in J makes sense to me as well, but YMMV.

As for lounges in HK, the two best are probably Cathay's The Wing, which has a F section if you're OWE or flying F, and Qantas' lounge which is the newest in HK, again with a F section as well. If you're arriving in HK on CX in J or F, there is also The Arrival which is nice to freshen up at before hitting the city if you're arriving early or you have some time to burn before check-in at the hotel etc.
Yeah... thought so. I was just thinking whether the location of SIN would make any difference.

I used to be with UA... and never had problem booking my flight of PEK-YYZ via Europe, which I preferred if I could avoid connecting in US.

I'd be on CX J, so no F access for me as I just recently started considering about switching from *A to OW. But it should be fine as I only have to kill 2hrs. (transiting to TPE afterward) Will the J section of The Wings be the best choice?
Old 04-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Yeah... thought so. I was just thinking whether the location of SIN would make any difference.

I used to be with UA... and never had problem booking my flight of PEK-YYZ via Europe, which I preferred if I could avoid connecting in US.

I'd be on CX J, so no F access for me as I just recently started considering about switching from *A to OW. But it should be fine as I only have to kill 2hrs. (transiting to TPE afterward) Will the J section of The Wings be the best choice?
Aeroplan routing rules can get complicated, different than UA so the programs vary. PEK-YYZ might actually work via EU, but definitely not YVR-SIN (I've tried, lol).

If you're in J the Qantas lounge might actually be nicer. The Wing J isn't that special when you compared non-North American lounges, but it's a pretty nice place to be. Personally, I'm still waiting for something to top the EK F lounge at DXB, which takes up an entire floor of the airport and is mind-blowing. I'm hoping that the LH FCT will be able to match it.

I just looked it up again, and apparently it doesn't have a F section like I thought (combined lounge), but it's very very nice. Nicer than the Wing J I would say. If you've got time you can lounge-hop around HK as there's 4-5 lounges that you would have access to with the CX J ticket - Cathay's The Wing, The Bridge, The Pier, G16 and Qantas' lounge.

Lounge Review: Qantas Hong Kong Lounge review first business class - Airlines | flights | hotels | travel tech | style | apps - Australian Business Traveller
Cathay Pacific The Bridge Lounge Review
Qantas Hong Kong Lounge Review
fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 04-23-2015 at 01:49 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2015, 08:19 PM   #479

Quote:

In fact I just took advantage of a rare glitch and booked OSL-FRA-LAX in Lufthansa F for Mar 2016 - that's a year away.
I see you hopped on that award too.

I ended up booking YVR->LAX->FRA->LHR and then FCO->FRA->SFO->YVR for March 2016 too
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #480
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Quote:

EDIT: Also, look at alternative West Coast gateways - SEA, SFO, LAX can all provide interesting routings with better products than YVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post

I ended up booking YVR->LAX->FRA->LHR and then FCO->FRA->SFO->YVR for March 2016 too
Damn that's sick!
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:22 AM   #481

Quote:
Aeroplan routing rules can get complicated, different than UA so the programs vary. PEK-YYZ might actually work via EU, but definitely not YVR-SIN (I've tried, lol).

If you're in J the Qantas lounge might actually be nicer. The Wing J isn't that special when you compared non-North American lounges, but it's a pretty nice place to be. Personally, I'm still waiting for something to top the EK F lounge at DXB, which takes up an entire floor of the airport and is mind-blowing. I'm hoping that the LH FCT will be able to match it.

I just looked it up again, and apparently it doesn't have a F section like I thought (combined lounge), but it's very very nice. Nicer than the Wing J I would say. If you've got time you can lounge-hop around HK as there's 4-5 lounges that you would have access to with the CX J ticket - Cathay's The Wing, The Bridge, The Pier, G16 and Qantas' lounge.

Lounge Review: Qantas Hong Kong Lounge review first business class - Airlines | flights | hotels | travel tech | style | apps - Australian Business Traveller
Cathay Pacific The Bridge Lounge Review
Qantas Hong Kong Lounge Review
Thanks. I did some reading and I think I'm going to opt for one closest to the departure gate to TPE that has a shower. I will hopefully do some report if I am able to catch some sleep on my flight which actually leaves in the afternoon.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 AM   #482

Quote:
Thanks. I did some reading and I think I'm going to opt for one closest to the departure gate to TPE that has a shower. I will hopefully do some report if I am able to catch some sleep on my flight which actually leaves in the afternoon.
They all have showers, but nothing special unlike the Wing F section which you can get a cabana (bath/shower room with a lounge/seating area). If you have a +1 that is the preferred scenario...
fml
Old 04-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #483

Quote:

Nice routing! I didn't have enough AP handy for the outbound so I will be using my Lifemiles to get there instead - will try for a routing on Austrian, Turkish or Swiss.

How much did YQ set you back from FCO? I feel like I should've gone to Italy instead, as apparently the Scandinavian countries are very expensive to be a tourist in and also it's still quite cold in March, haha.
fml
Old 04-24-2015, 08:11 AM   #484

Quote:
Nice routing! I didn't have enough AP handy for the outbound so I will be using my Lifemiles to get there instead - will try for a routing on Austrian, Turkish or Swiss.

How much did YQ set you back from FCO? I feel like I should've gone to Italy instead, as apparently the Scandinavian countries are very expensive to be a tourist in and also it's still quite cold in March, haha.
Tip: IST gets hella cold too in the winter. Went there this feb and it had the worst blizzard in several decades. We barely made it out of there.

FCO YQ was... $421? All in worked out to about $1k YQ, but for LH F, I'll pay that just to check it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #485

Quote:
Tip: IST gets hella cold too in the winter. Went there this feb and it had the worst blizzard in several decades. We barely made it out of there.

FCO YQ was... $421? All in worked out to about $1k YQ, but for LH F, I'll pay that just to check it out.
I paid $280 YQ out of OSL, ARN was a little cheaper but for harder to find space for my dates. Oh well!

Legoland and IKEA here I come!
fml
Old 04-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #486

Quote:
I paid $280 YQ out of OSL, ARN was a little cheaper but for harder to find space for my dates. Oh well!

Legoland and IKEA here I come!
Nice! Couldn't justify the savings flying out of OSL or ARN because they aren't on the priority list now.

I'm totally going to pig out in the F lounge - all the trip reports I've read say the food is better than on the plane.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #487

Quote:
Nice! Couldn't justify the savings flying out of OSL or ARN because they aren't on the priority list now.

I'm totally going to pig out in the F lounge - all the trip reports I've read say the food is better than on the plane.
Same here, I'm excited about the FCT - forget the lounge, I want the terminal! I want to be driven to my plane in a Panamera or a S-class!

Also, I want my duck!!!!
fml
This post thanked by:
G
Old 04-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #488

Quote:
Since when was the food on plane ever good?

Seriously though, I have so far taken F in 3 different airlines (UA, LH and ANA) while J in many other for work, and I have yet to have a decent meal on board. Which is why now I pick red-eye flights out of NA whenever possible so I can sleep immediately after the seatbelt light is off.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #489

Quote:

Seriously though, I have so far taken F in 3 different airlines (UA, LH and ANA) while J in many other for work, and I have yet to have a decent meal on board. Which is why now I pick red-eye flights out of NA whenever possible so I can sleep immediately after the seatbelt light is off.
Actually I would say that I've had pretty good food on EK F DFW-DXB, with mains that were flavorful and tasty. I tended to lean towards the more "curry" or stew-like dishes that had stronger flavours and had liquid in them so they weren't dry.
fml
Old 04-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #490

Quote:

Singapore Airlines chicken rice is damn good. I also really liked the lobster. Satay was ok by singapore standards.

I'm also pretty happy with Eva's dumplings on board. It's nice comfort food.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:39 PM   #491

^

I think I need to stop taking crappy European/American airlines.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #492
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
I will definitely agree that the food in Lufthansa's FCT vastly outdoes the airborne food. But the drinks onboard are just as good, so eat a good meal on the ground to get a base and get prepared for the liquoring of a lifetime... besides, just fill up on Caviar onboard. Everything else is a waste!

Mark
Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I will definitely agree that the food in Lufthansa's FCT vastly outdoes the airborne food. But the drinks onboard are just as good, so eat a good meal on the ground to get a base and get prepared for the liquoring of a lifetime... besides, just fill up on Caviar onboard. Everything else is a waste!

Mark
Suggestions for onboard? Champagne of course, but what else is there?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #494

Quote:
^

I think I need to stop taking crappy European/American airlines.
You didn't like the food on TK?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #495
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Suggestions for onboard? Champagne of course, but what else is there?
I am not really knowledgeable about wine, etc. but when I was onboard last time I made a friend with another young guy who is pretty passionate about wine and he seemed very impressed with their wine selection. However, it's good to know they tend to have a good range of nice quality wines, and then one high quality expensive red, in my case I can't quite remember what wine it was but it was a 1995 vintage. I also really thought their port was spectacular, I had a glass of port with the cheese course and it was one of my favourite parts of the meal.

Mark
Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #496
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Got secondary security screening yesterday while flying out of YVR to LAX. Was thinking "fml" at the time because of the extra hassle but I think they did me a favour. Skipped the whole security lineup and all I had to do was go into the big machine that scans your body.
Tr1ll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:16 PM   #497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ll View Post
Got secondary security screening yesterday while flying out of YVR to LAX. Was thinking "fml" at the time because of the extra hassle but I think they did me a favour. Skipped the whole security lineup and all I had to do was go into the big machine that scans your body.
You should get a nexus.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #498
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i'm excited to be flying on AC's new 788 (787-800) dreamliner next month (albeit in premium economy). i think the route for YVR-ICN is just a month old. the extra $50 on top seems well worth it.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 AM   #499
G
Banned (BBM)

After looking at a couple dates, I found this option that departs a couple days before my original plan (hopefully my boss lets me take a couple extra days! And yes, I am based out of YYC )

G is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #500

Oooh, very nice! New ANA First Square all the way to SIN! I'm quite jealous. I want Rimowa kits too...

Lucky duck!
fml
This post thanked by:
G