REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-17-2015, 06:46 AM   #526
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

did you start in washington DC? or are you going to jump ship at DFW?

Just did the Etihad fare from ORD. Sucks all the mistake fares are in the east coast!
Advertisement
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #527
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue View Post

Just did the Etihad fare from ORD. Sucks all the mistake fares are in the east coast!
Nothing a cheapo/low miles positioning flight can't fix.

Heading out on Tuesday for my flight YVR-HKG-TPE in the afternoon. I will post some pics after the trip.

Anyone flying the same day? RS meet up at Cathay lounge?
Old 05-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #528
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it was the WAS-PEK AA fare. I started from IAD, did a positioning YXS-YVR-SFO-IAD on AC/ACr/UA, that was a bit painful. It does suck that the good fares are all East Coast... I was happy I got to fly HKG-DFW direct though as I just got notice that the other flight PEK-DFW got delayed even further! They haven't even taken off yet and I've landed already!

Also, got to try the AA 77W with the same J product as CX etc. Quite nice, I got pretty good sleep on it. Service was okay, funny thing was the attendants could not figure out what HK style milk tea was even though it's on the menu.

I'm jumping ship at DFW to go home, as it's a lot easier than IAD/DCA. Ended up with a paid WS fare to get back to YXS, ugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Nothing a cheapo/low miles positioning flight can't fix.

Heading out on Tuesday for my flight YVR-HKG-TPE in the afternoon. I will post some pics after the trip.

Anyone flying the same day? RS meet up at Cathay lounge?
Have fun! Wish I could go with you, I want to be back in HK already.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:39 PM   #529
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Re: Airfare muck ups on the east coast

More often than not, UA has price blunders flying out of SFO since it's their west coast hub. If you can score a cheap flight down to SFO and then pick up a fare blunder on UA, you're golden as long as you're Star Alliance. I used to do mileage runs back in the day, but thank goodness, I don't need to anymore. I'm glad those days are behind me.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 AM   #530
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46_valentinor View Post
Filmed this during my Asia trip when I was flying with Ana 2 weeks ago. First time doing a video whatsoever, hopefully its not too bad.
Enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKD0CwJLw1E#t=77
GoPro? What settings did you use?

Also, question for all of you. If you have 3 flights with 3 different airlines that are all Star Alliance, will the first airline be able to print and issue out all the tickets? I am flying out of YYC but they do not have an ANA booth...
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #531
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
GoPro? What settings did you use?

Also, question for all of you. If you have 3 flights with 3 different airlines that are all Star Alliance, will the first airline be able to print and issue out all the tickets? I am flying out of YYC but they do not have an ANA booth...
is your 3 flights all under the same PNR?
or did you book them separately?
Old 05-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #532

In cx yvr lounge. Nothing out of ordinary and I think the MLL at yvr is better. But not a bad view as I watched 2 ac 787 right outside of the window.

However, my flight is delayed for almost an hour. couldn't do anything by the time I found out as it was my friend who was dropping me off at yvr in his lunch break.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:52 PM   #533
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
is your 3 flights all under the same PNR?
or did you book them separately?
Same one.

I go from AC to UA to ANA to ANA. I asked the attendant at the YCC MLL and she did not have a clue, she was actually concerned that I would miss the UA 1 hour check-in/ticket issue deadline because apparently they are really strict.

I have never flown to the states and am quite curious to know if I will need to exit domestic gates, go to the check-in booth and go through security again for the international gates...

(i am flying noob )
Old 05-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #534
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
I have never flown to the states and am quite curious to know if I will need to exit domestic gates, go to the check-in booth and go through security again for the international gates...
Which airport?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #535
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Which airport?
I fly into YYC via Air Canada from a small airport. I then have a UA flight 1 hour after landing.

Curious to know if they will issue my tickets either: at my first Air Canada flight at the small airport (similar to Abbotsford), or at the UA gate, or if I need to exit out and check in again and go through security in which the MLL attendant says is very tight as UA is strict about the 1 hour prior to international flight rule....
Old 05-19-2015, 01:16 PM   #536
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
If it's under the same PNR then they should be able to issue for you. My recent positioning flight was AC Jazz, AC Rouge then UA, and the station at YXS was able to check me all the way through to IAD.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #537
G
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
If it's under the same PNR then they should be able to issue for you. My recent positioning flight was AC Jazz, AC Rouge then UA, and the station at YXS was able to check me all the way through to IAD.
Awesome! Good to hear that, I hate rushing through airports and getting all damn sweaty .
Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #538

Done my trip.

Overall pretty good. The lie-flat seat has a bit of a bump. I actually had to adjust to a slight incline, but very good nonetheless.

The service for YVR-HKG was top-notch. The purser was very attentive and always spoke softly while addressing by last name. However, when we reached HKG, it was pouring down badly. So bad that we had to circle for an hour for landing and also another 5-10min for the ground crew to attach the damn bridge.

HKG-TPE got delayed by another 2hours with 1hr on the tarmac waiting with 0 service; which I thought was not what a leading airline should do. I mean, when I flew with UA and we got delayed with all pax on plane, I was always stuffed of drinks and warm nuts.

However, the food was marginal better than Y. I mean, if you are going to offer a steak, give something at least close to the actual thing. It was maybe 1/4 of what I'd usually have in a restaurant. Good thing I loaded with dimsum in my stomach while at YVR, so it wasn't a big deal.

Took some pics, I will upload them later. Need to get some sleep for tomorrow work.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:42 PM   #539

Interesting. Compared to BR was it worth the stopover to fly CX?

Anyone catch the LAN fare from lax to brazil? Was tempting but I don't want to pay $160 for a visa
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #540

Quote:
Interesting. Compared to BR was it worth the stopover to fly CX?

Anyone catch the LAN fare from lax to brazil? Was tempting but I don't want to pay $160 for a visa
I think if I'm paying same price flying J... I'd totally fly CX over BR. The 747 that BR services to YVR is just way too outdated comparing to even UA. So, unless it's substantially cheaper, I might consider it. BR's old J product is just not worth the premium.

However, if flying Y, then I see little sense to take the CX.

Pics:

The bird
DSC02121 by JayPhotostream, on Flickr

Bubbly
DSC02126 by JayPhotostream, on Flickr

Seat
DSC02124 by JayPhotostream, on Flickr

Plenty of legroom
DSC02125 by JayPhotostream, on Flickr
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #541
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
CX ProTip: get the beef burger. it's really good and they only have like 3 for the entire airplane for the 838/7, and 2 for the 888/9

ProTip 2: in the 838/7 (no first), the nicest washroom is on the left on the narrow corridor of their so called cockpit. It's basically a first class lav setup.

ProTip 3: Do not book anything CX August 18th - 31st unless you want a good chance of having your flight cancelled or delayed significantly.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP.AR View Post
CX ProTip: get the beef burger. it's really good and they only have like 3 for the entire airplane for the 838/7, and 2 for the 888/9
Why 1 less for 77H??
What's the # of noodles loaded then? Somehow 2-3 seems a little bit...too little =S

And the whole strike thing...3 months away
Old 05-22-2015, 12:26 AM   #543

Quote:
Why 1 less for 77H??
What's the # of noodles loaded then? Somehow 2-3 seems a little bit...too little =S

And the whole strike thing...3 months away
First class has their own set of snacks... and plus all their food is all A La Carte anyways. I believe they have a few more noodles loaded aboard. Not sure though as I have never been told (or bothered asking.. I'll ask the next time I'm in the position to "talk to the crew freely without being a creep")

Based on how CX does their "Talks" with the union, I expect it to stretch out quite long. People keep referring back to the 1993 incident when the cabin crew went on strike. That was the old CX management. New CX management will basically filibuster the talks until they figure out a legal way to fire them all (see "the 49'ers"... though that backfired... kind of)
Old 05-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #544

Quote:
Quote:
Why 1 less for 77H??
Quote:
First class has their own set of snacks... and plus all their food is all A La Carte anyways. I believe they have a few more noodles loaded aboard. Not sure though as I have never been told (or bothered asking.. I'll ask the next time I'm in the position to "talk to the crew freely without being a creep")
Yes, we're already ignoring first class here..but:
838/7 = 77G = 40 J seats
888/9 = 77H = 53 J seats

It would be strange (but again, this is CX and their famous cutting cost $$ afterall), to only offer 2-3 burgers + "few noodles" among 40-53 pax.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #545

you should see the food they serve the crew. It's odds and ends put into a bowl.

Also. Maybe I got the loading the other way around then.
Could also be the fact that barely anyone asks for them because nobody bothers looking at the menu anymore. Did you know they have ice cream for business class as well?
Old 06-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #546
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
So this video is finally out! Playing in Seattle. No Vancouver showings yet.

Find a Theatre ? Living in the Age of Airplanes
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:37 PM   #547

No vancouver showing?
Posted via RS Mobile
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #548
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Super stoked for this movie, can't wait for a place to show it in Vancouver. Would even contemplate heading down to Seattle for it.. Hmm...
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 PM   #549

There's rumours that YVR will announce this summer they will start serving A380 flights soon.

Any guess? BA?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #550
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,402 Times in 552 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but only BA and AF currently service YVR and have A380's in their fleet. Qantas is seasonal, so i'd count them out at the moment.

BA currently sends double 747's to YVRs. To replace one of them with a A380 at peak demand wouldn't be too far a stretch.

Personally, I havent heard this rumour. At the latest CEO presentation, they asked about A380 service and it was mostly brushed off. Message was we have the gates to serve it, however they envision more 787's in the airports future.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote