REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   2014 Sochi Hockey Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/692866-2014-sochi-hockey-thread.html)

Ch28 02-17-2014 12:06 AM

RIP HHH 2010

#NEVERFORGET
Posted via RS Mobile

SumAznGuy 02-17-2014 01:12 AM

I really do wish the NHL would make the change to the bigger international ice surface.

More room to skate and cycle for the skilled players, and it really does weed out the guys that have no place in the NHL.
Back in 2004, we saw a big difference in speed in players once all the clutching and grabbing was taken out.
And with the bigger ice surface, it forces players to play a smarter game. Chase someone down for a big hit, expect to skate harder and farther to catch up to the play if you miss.

Unfortunately, though that means there might be less open ice bone crushing hits.

But it won't happen as long as The Count is in charge of the NHL.

jeedee 02-17-2014 01:40 AM

Bigger ice surface = seats taken out of arenas = money lost

Highly doubt NHL owners will allow that to happen

Jmac 02-17-2014 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8418358)
I really do wish the NHL would make the change to the bigger international ice surface.

More room to skate and cycle for the skilled players, and it really does weed out the guys that have no place in the NHL.
Back in 2004, we saw a big difference in speed in players once all the clutching and grabbing was taken out.
And with the bigger ice surface, it forces players to play a smarter game. Chase someone down for a big hit, expect to skate harder and farther to catch up to the play if you miss.

Unfortunately, though that means there might be less open ice bone crushing hits.

It was 2005 and it's been back in the game for 5 years now.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3810/1...3da4f5a7_o.png

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 06:58 AM

The IIHF and the IOC's nightmare on how to handle Women's Hockey continues

either Canada and USA are getting better, or the rest of the world is getting worst

Even though USA and SWE's final score was 6-1, shots were 70-9

604STIG 02-17-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 8418382)
The IIHF and the IOC's nightmare on how to handle Women's Hockey continues

either Canada and USA are getting better, or the rest of the world is getting worst

Even though USA and SWE's final score was 6-1, shots were 70-9

Which sucks because eventually the IOC will just take women's hockey out of the olympics all together.

m3thods 02-17-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Are you not watching the other games? Canada saw it with Finland more than the other 2 teams they faced, but the bigger ice surface means no forecheck and eternal trapping. The NA teams are the only ones that are attempting to have at least 1 player in the offensive zone as a forecheck. Almost all the Euro teams are skating back as a 5-player unit clogging the neutral zone and defensive zone.

Even with Canada's elite D, they're having trouble breaking the trap. That's why you see a lot of dump and chasing. The fact that you're seeing it at the highest level of competition means that with lesser talents (read: NHL club teams), it'll likely be more present at the NHL level and below if they were given more room.

Give me rules to curb predatory hits to the head over international ice for player safety any day of the week. It's just that the NHL/NHLPA is so inept with discipline that it might take someone to get seriously hurt (read: paralyzed/killed) for them to take it seriously.

Hondaracer 02-17-2014 09:16 AM

Every single NHL guy and even international guys that have come on team1040 have said the NHL going to international size would not open anything up and would in fact make the game slower because on international ice there are essentially "dead zones" where if the opposition is there with the puck there's no need to pressure/check the guy because there's nothing to be had from those spots on the ice
Posted via RS Mobile

Hondaracer 02-17-2014 09:24 AM

Also women's hockey is a joke. I'm surprised the IOC hasn't moved to get it out if the Olympics. I know in many peoples eyes hockey is the marquee sport but when the summer Olympics is pulling an ultra competitive sport like wrestling how can you keep a sport around where only two countries compete?

And if anything the gap seems to have widened between countries not gotten closer.
Posted via RS Mobile

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8418428)
Every single NHL guy and even international guys that have come on team1040 have said the NHL going to international size would not open anything up and would in fact make the game slower because on international ice there are essentially "dead zones" where if the opposition is there with the puck there's no need to pressure/check the guy because there's nothing to be had from those spots on the ice
Posted via RS Mobile

This Women's game is an example where an elite team is having trouble cracking into this neutral zone trap that collapses down to stop offence

which is why Canada is only winning 3-1 against teh Swiss

quasi 02-17-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

It doesn't matter who's in charge you'll never see it in North America. Bigger Ice = Less Seats in an arena, less seats = less revenue. That's about where the conversation would end with the owners. There is a reason you're seeing more of these Classic games in huge stadiums and it isn't because Outdoor games are Classic, it's because more seats is more money. It's also the same reason you'll never see the amount of preseason games in the NFL reduced even though everyone agrees they play to many of them.

The only thing that matters, more important to owners then players health or entertainment.

m3thods 02-17-2014 10:26 AM

To add to the revenue topic:

Once fans see the garbage that would be put on the ice with a bigger ice surface, the NHL will have less gate revenue as well due to reduced ticket sales. Less aggression in the form of big hits AND less scoring? That'll kill the NHL in the US dead.

Gh0stRider 02-17-2014 11:12 AM

Russians picketing against referee Meier outside U.S. Embassy in Moscow

Russians are still upset about their 3-2 shootout loss to the Americans in hockey at the Sochi Olympics on Saturday. How upset? This upset:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgrdWgNCcAAgqsO.jpg

Quote:

American-born Brad Meier - who, for the record, owns dual Canadian-American citizenship - was the referee who ruled that Fedor Tyutin's goal late in the third period didn't count because the net was off its moorings behind U.S. goalie Jonathan Quick. The goal would have given the Russians a 3-2 lead; instead, the game went to a shootout and the Americans prevailed.

It was the right call, and was upheld by the International Ice Hockey Federation, but Russian supporters have no time for details. It's the Olympics, man. In Russia.

As for the sign in the photo above, the translation, according to Latvian journalist Eronko, suggests Mr. Meier needs glasses, "but more rude."

The language of referee bashing is universal, and that's a beautiful thing, wouldn't you agree?

Gumby 02-17-2014 11:44 AM

Imagine Meier made the WRONG call? He'd find himself in some gulag next to the guy who screwed up in the opening ceremony!

MG1 02-17-2014 12:27 PM

Pic of ref on a banner with choice words on it and lining up to protest....... what a bunch of idiots.

To their defense, this is probably their only real opportunity to protest something without being tear gassed or shot at by the police for publicly protesting. Nobody gonna get upset - it's the ugly American.

In Vancouver, you break into businesses, loot the place, and light cop cars on fire, LOLOLOLOLOL.

Mike Oxbig 02-17-2014 01:30 PM

Hockey USA is the best built team on the Olympics. Who is it built by? Brian Burke.

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Earl (Post 8418533)
Hockey USA is the best built team on the Olympics. Who is it built by? Brian Burke.

I wouldn't go there yet
Listening to reading some of the comments about the biggest difference on the big ice is the giant Neutral zone

The longer neutral zone allows the defence coming back much more time and room to set up and essentially line up 3 guys to force a dump and chase.

What USA has been facing is more or less teams with NHLers that do not play that style of game. You will see that great pass out of the zone, but by that time, the team coming back has the room to continue to collapse and essentially force the dump and chase

Group A with Russia/USA/Slovakia have guys that play on the smaller ice surface, so theres more of an "north american style" within that group

Sweden on the other hand, have defensemen that can ALL make that long bomb pass out of the zone to beat this. However, coming back the other way, they continue to clog up and the turnover is deadly because of that pass out of their own zone or on the actual turnover play itself

Canada has been playing..or attempting to match up to this pace. Its a boring brand of hockey. but they are successful. Adapt to the play and collapse low. forcing the play to the outside once a team gets pass the blueline.

I expect a much different pace when the Canadians are able to break through the even stingier Swiss team. Hopefully, the guys know what the hell to do and force the Americans to either adapt quickly or pretty much get suckered into forcing many turnovers. Possession is key.

The second period and parts of the 3rd against the finns proved that once Canada was comfortable to adjusting, they too can play this European shutdown game that most teams within Group B were playing.

Its coming together along quite nicely if you ask me.

Its about winning, and even though a lot of people say the game against the finns were boring, it was eye opening for me.

BUT HEY! WHO THE FUCK KNOWS BECUZ BIG EARL DOESN"T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT ANYONES OPINIONS HERE...its not like mine are great.

PeanutButter 02-17-2014 02:41 PM

If the NHL ever changed to the big ice I would die.
The pace is so much slower and the trap is frustrating to watch.

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 05:44 PM

in case you missed it

Wednesday game times are set

http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/...dfdsYYHYHY.jpg

Expecting the following

Slovenia over Austria
Something tells me Slovenia is not done shocking the world

Russia over Norway
Russia should be able to come through that trap

Switzerland over Latvia
Swiss will trap the hell out of Latvia

Czechs over Slovakia
Expecting Uncle Jagr to finally show up

A Finland/Sweden USA/Canada semi would be unreal

Not really racist! 02-17-2014 06:10 PM

waking up early to watch russia vs norway for sureee
the rest are meh

Mike Oxbig 02-17-2014 06:20 PM

Anyone else thinks Slovenia will beat Austria to qualify?

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not really racist! (Post 8418665)
waking up early to watch russia vs norway for sureee
the rest are meh

Slovaks vs the Czechs will be good
These teams gotta stop embarrassing themselves and give the world a game they know how to play

subordinate 02-17-2014 07:20 PM

I could see Slovakia winning, they are getting their game together and played a good game against Russia. Factor in the weird coach of the Czechs, and I have my money on Slovakia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Earl (Post 8418673)
Anyone else thinks Slovenia will beat Austria to qualify?

Anything's possible. Slovenia already pulled an upset and could very well be more motivated to prove doubters.

m3thods 02-17-2014 07:23 PM

^Plus, you know, all that (relatively recent) history with wars and such. Lots of national pride on the line.

Tim Budong 02-17-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8418710)
I could see Slovakia winning, they are getting their game together and played a good game against Russia. Factor in the weird coach of the Czechs, and I have my money on Slovakia.

Anything's possible. Slovenia already pulled an upset and could very well be more motivated to prove doubters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3thods (Post 8418713)
^Plus, you know, all that (relatively recent) history with wars and such. Lots of national pride on the line.

Anze Kopitar vs Grabner/Vanek

All game breakers

But the Slovenians played a very good game keeping the Russians in check and upsetting the Slovaks