REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #401
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I feel the teachers picked the wrong horse in the last election and honestly they just have to eat it and live with the consequences. Refusing to accept reality, doesn't struck me as wise. Honestly I think that sets a bad example to students. Life just doesn't always go your way. It seems the teachers collectively are just holding their breath and hoping the gov will change its mind. The lack of grace is amazing. I think would have been a better life lesson for the students (if they really care) to show them how to live through and rise from adversity.

Liberals were elected back with a STRONG mandate. Their popularity won't matter much this early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
What will be interesting is while the government is saving oodles of money by not paying its teachers, the teachers themselves will eventually have to give in. They have to pay bills and feed their families. No win on the teachers' side. Government will wait it out. Only if their popularity suffers will they act.
Advertisement

Last edited by godwin; 07-02-2014 at 08:09 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #402
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post

Liberals were elected back with a STRONG mandate. Their popularity won't matter much this early.
At the end of the day, most parents just want their kids at school. With the rise of private tutoring companies and private schools, I don't think parents have a lot of faith in the public system anyway. The teachers are fighting a losing battle.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM   #403
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Let me preface this by saying that I think the teachers are in the wrong here. They should take a queue from the nurses and bargain appropriately without having the need for job action.

Interesting fact most people don't know is that private schools get funded 35% (per student) of public schools. I don't know why we need to subsidize rich kids when it's their choice to forgo public schools
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #404
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
^^ Nurses can bargain "appropriately" because they have the power to do so. Back in 1980, the nurses went on strike for 2 weeks and chaos promptly occurred. I don't remember if any patients have died as a result of the their job action, but the government understandably caved in, and the nurses went on to secure themselves a 40% raise over 3 years, while hospital nurses got a 49% increase over 27 months. The BCTF is not asking for raises like that, and will never get those levels even if they try.

But what is interesting is that a good 16 - 17 years ago, nurses and teachers make about the same amount of money. But now? Nurses are probably making a solid 20 - 30% more.

As I have said many times in this thread, the issues between the provincial government and the BCTF (and its members) is complicated, and the bad blood runs deep between the two. There is no single side that is "in the wrong", although I believe that this time around, the government is at the bigger fault.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #405
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I think the teachers are in the wrong here. They should take a queue from the nurses and bargain appropriately without having the need for job action.

Interesting fact most people don't know is that private schools get funded 35% (per student) of public schools. I don't know why we need to subsidize rich kids when it's their choice to forgo public schools
it's actually funding up to 50%. The flipside of the argument is - imagine if you cut funding to the private schools, and half of their students now enter the public school system. BC would not be able to afford having that many more students in their public schools.

Their parents all pay taxes, some of them even quite a bit more taxes than the average person. I don't see why part of the funding can't go to independent schools when BC is actually saving money by having them forgo public schools.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM   #406
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
If I ever have kids there is no fucking way I would send them to a public school with the unwashed masses
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #407
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
If I ever have kids there is no fucking way I would send them to a public school with the unwashed masses
Please do not have kids.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #408

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
^^ Nurses can bargain "appropriately" because they have the power to do so. Back in 1980, the nurses went on strike for 2 weeks and chaos promptly occurred. I don't remember if any patients have died as a result of the their job action, but the government understandably caved in, and the nurses went on to secure themselves a 40% raise over 3 years, while hospital nurses got a 49% increase over 27 months. The BCTF is not asking for raises like that, and will never get those levels even if they try.
Health care costs will continue to consume the public purse, but as long as we continue to have public health care, nurses will always have more bargaining power than teachers. Everyone needs health care (particularly older people who vote), while parents can choose private schools, home-schooling, etc over the public school system.

Methinks that some teachers should have become nurses or other health-care practitioners instead.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #409

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Haha, if I ever have a kids that turn out like you I'll do the world a favor, take them out to the barn and shoot them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #410
RS controls my life!

Stage 2 only included no supervision and no meetings led by administration. Teachers were still marking and planning. It was the government lockout that prevented any work to be done 45 mins before and after school, and during breaks and lunch. I will agree that the 10% figure is completely arbitrary.

I also agree that the class size and composition should be fought by the public and not the teachers. When the teachers say that they are fighting for the kids, this is what they are referring to. Short term pain (no exams, summer school, some grad activities) for long term gain.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #411
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
‘One per cent apart on wages’ technically not true, says BCTF.

Union admits it’s over different time periods. The union often says this when they are arguing that they are close enough for mediation. The province continues to disagree. BCTF President Jim Iker now admits that’s technically not true and the one per cent is over different time periods. “We’re at five years and they’re at six. Like, I said we’re open to compromise.”

?One per cent apart on wages? technically not true, says BCTF | News1130
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #412
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

As I have said many times in this thread, the issues between the provincial government and the BCTF (and its members) is complicated, and the bad blood runs deep between the two. There is no single side that is "in the wrong", although I believe that this time around, the government is at the bigger fault.
And I would remind the class again, that the decision to go to a full-scale walkout WITH TWO WEEKS LEFT IN THE SCHOOL YEAR was ENTIRELY THE CHOICE Of (a large majority of) THE TEACHERS THEMSELVES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
And I would remind the class again, that the decision to go to a full-scale walkout WITH TWO WEEKS LEFT IN THE SCHOOL YEAR was ENTIRELY THE CHOICE Of (a large majority of) THE TEACHERS THEMSELVES.
Soundy, should I remind the class again that the provincial government has twice been ruled by the provincial supreme court that the provincial government has broken the class size law and special needs student provisions?

We can go back and forth, round and round as many times as well want over these details, and this is exactly what the government and the BCTF have been doing to result in this impasse.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #414

Quote:
Soundy, should I remind the class again that the provincial government has twice been ruled by the provincial supreme court that the provincial government has broken the class size law and special needs student provisions?

We can go back and forth, round and round as many times as well want over these details, and this is exactly what the government and the BCTF have been doing to result in this impasse.
All of which is irrelevant to my point above.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #415
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I hate unions that work for the public sector. IMHO, it happens at the end of every contract with the BCTF.

Sign contract now for 5 years. In 5 years BCTF again shoots for the fucking stars, doesn't get it, and strikes. And then they say "its for the children."

Sure everybody wants a raise, I understand that. Yet not everybody needs fucking benefits falling out their asshole. $3k annually for massages.. Paid hours to "take care of a friend"?!?! MORE paid vacation hours... None of which benefits "the children."

IMHO the BCTF is just greasy. They should be fighting to increase the budget for more teachers, fuck all their benefits. I personally know tons of teachers who either; can't find work, can only pick up sub. jobs, or get laid off at the end of every school year.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #416
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,785 Times in 2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Sign contract now for 5 years. In 5 years BCTF again shoots for the fucking stars, doesn't get it, and strikes. And then they say "its for the children."

Sure everybody wants a raise, I understand that. Yet not everybody needs fucking benefits falling out their asshole. $3k annually for massages.. Paid hours to "take care of a friend"?!?! MORE paid vacation hours... None of which benefits "the children."

IMHO the BCTF is just greasy. They should be fighting to increase the budget for more teachers, fuck all their benefits. I personally know tons of teachers who either; can't find work, can only pick up sub. jobs, or get laid off at the end of every school year.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #417

[quote=melloman;8497870]I hate unions that work for the public sector. IMHO, it happens at the end of every contract with the BCTF.[/quotes]
That's not YHO, that's just historical record.

Quote:
Well gee, if they were smart, they should just suck it up for now, and stick it out until the NDP gets in next time to give them a sweetheart deal for the next.... ooohhhh wait, didn't they try that once already, and it backfired with a Liberal majority?

Hmmmm....
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #418
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I drove by a few schools today.. the teachers are not picketing anymore, what's the deal with that?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #419
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Because summer vacation, that's why.

I noticed the same up here as well.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #420

Handing out the money they would be paying teachers to help with daycare costs brought on by the strike is pretty smart if you ask me.

B.C. parents to receive $40 per day per child under 13 if teachers? strike drags on | Globalnews.ca

Quote:
B.C. parents will receive $40 per day per child under the age 13 if schools are not open in September, Minister of Finance Mike de Jong announced today.

The $40 per day will be paid by savings from the teachers’ strike.

De Jong says that if there is no deal with teachers by September, the BCTF will lose any hope of receiving strike savings.

Parents will be able to claim their $40 per day per child through a website set up by the provincial government.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 07-31-2014, 11:16 AM   #421
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,687 Times in 1,624 Posts
lol, for parents with 2 kids under 13 that's $400 a week.

I wonder if they'll deduct tax from that though..haha.

Anyway, it's essentially a big middle finger with a smile to the BCTF.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #422

Yeah, basically strengthen there position by removing all that extra money saved out of the negotiations and at the same time gained favor with parents who are effected by the strike. Politically and as far as negotiations go this move was genius IMO.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM   #423

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
lol, for parents with 2 kids under 13 that's $400 a week.

I wonder if they'll deduct tax from that though..haha.

Anyway, it's essentially a big middle finger with a smile to the BCTF.
It will be Tax free. Much like how LOA (living out allowance) is tax free and separate from general income.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Yeah, basically strengthen there position by removing all that extra money saved out of the negotiations and at the same time gained favor with parents who are effected by the strike. Politically and as far as negotiations go this move was genius IMO.
Depends on your perspective. It also shows you clearly how little interest the provincial government has in sincerely negotiating a contract with BCTF.

I would totally call this negotiation in bad faith.

Last edited by Traum; 07-31-2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM   #425

Thanked 3,046 Times in 1,176 Posts
This is pretty slimy move by the gov't... it's essentially bribe money!
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote