REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #1226
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
Anyone have snow tires and drive in the snow with a lowered car in Vancouver?

Any predictions on how much snow we'll get this winter season?

You'll probably get a VI first

BUT, I did this last year actually. I'd take off any lips you have on. I broke a set of CF splitters by snowplowing last year. Make sure your bumper is sturdy, aka not close to falling off. Also broke a bumper bc of snow LOL.
Advertisement
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #1227
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,905 Times in 3,868 Posts
Quote:

I've taken a car lowered ~2" over the Connector and down forestry roads in the snow with winters without a problem, just watch for chucks of ice coming off other vehicles.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #1228
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

For the guys who have ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's in our diverse winter conditions..

Just would like to hear your guys input on how they handle in the dry/rain?

I understand they kick ass in snow/ice but given the amount of rain we get in our winters, I'm curious to hear if these tires are reasonable enough to buy for wet conditions.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:54 AM   #1229

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Quote:

Mine is lowered 2" and uses winter tires that are slightly too tall, so I have a very little fender gap and there's slight fender lining rubbing when wheels are turned at full lock.

Spoiler!

I leave for work at 630am and often the roads aren't fully plowed, but I've always managed to make it with any problems. The FWD and LSD configuration helps a lot with traction.

My prediction is we had a mild summer so I'm expecting a mild winter.

But yeah, like the other guy said, if you're lowered and have good winter tires, you're more likely to get a VI than have issues driving in Vancouver this winter.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #1230
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEH4RD View Post
For the guys who have ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's in our diverse winter conditions..

Just would like to hear your guys input on how they handle in the dry/rain?

I understand they kick ass in snow/ice but given the amount of rain we get in our winters, I'm curious to hear if these tires are reasonable enough to buy for wet conditions.
They are OK in the rain - but they are below average at handling big puddles on the highway. Just watch your speed, as always, and you will be fine. Dry, they're a bit mushy as the sidewalls are soft, and the tread blocks are soft. Again, they excel in the bad weather - snow, sleet, ice, freezing rain. Just average in dry/wet conditions.

Don't buy them for the dry/wet performance, buy them for the snow/ice performance if you feel like you need it.

The Michelin Xi3 may be the best choice for Vancouver - it's good in the dry/wet, and average in the snow/ice, and won't wear as quickly in the warmer temperatures as some of the other tires mentioned in this thread.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 PM   #1231
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
IMO, you don't really need kickass snow tires within the city. It doesn't snow enough here, and major roads are cleared relatively quick and it's mostly slush.

I think the Xi3 or WinterContact SI would be more suitable here.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #1232
My homepage has been set to RS

My previous set of winters were Hakka's. There were two times that I felt my car losing control on a curve during slightly wet weather. I was able to correct in time.

Bought Xi3 last winter and they felt a lot more stable during dry and wet weather. And they were also champs going up to Whistler during a snow storm.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #1233

I put Xi2 through snow, ice, dumping rain, even summer heat and they worked great. I wouldn't hesitate to get a set of Xi3's.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #1234
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,753 Times in 3,868 Posts
Because I get this question all the time but have no experience in it, I’ll ask you guys.

All terrain / mud terrain tires versus winter tires for a truck. I see the Bridgestone KO2 is a hella popular tire and it comes with the mountain and snowflake. How well do they really hold up on snow and ice? Would you gladly do a road trip to the interior with them? Or would you really prefer winter tires
Old 10-26-2018, 11:50 PM   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Because I get this question all the time but have no experience in it, I’ll ask you guys.

All terrain / mud terrain tires versus winter tires for a truck. I see the Bridgestone KO2 is a hella popular tire and it comes with the mountain and snowflake. How well do they really hold up on snow and ice? Would you gladly do a road trip to the interior with them? Or would you really prefer winter tires
BFG KO2, not Bridgestone. The KO2's and Duratracs hold up really well in the snow and ice, but don't have the ultimate grip of proper winter tires when it gets super icy. They are really good in snow/slush because they have wide channels and pack down really well, but lack the siping for pure ice. The one scary moment I had with the KO2 was freezing rain turning the Sea to Sky near Pemberton into an ice rink - but that was in 2WD on my truck, and I was trying to accelerate up an incline. Once I went to 4WD High, it was back to being solid.

I have driven into the Interior and Northern BC with the KO2 during winter and would not hesitate to do so again. I did also have a set of Bridgestone DM-V2's, but I got those because I was a volunteer firefighter at the time and I needed something that had better ice traction to get to the fire hall quickly.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #1236
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,719 Times in 890 Posts
I was looking at At tires for my suv, I found that the cheaper ones were rated summer dry climate only and basically will suck in the snow, cold weather. I opted for slightly taller snow tires as they were quite a bit cheaper. but I haven't mounted them yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #1237
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,316 Times in 5,636 Posts
I second the statement about the KO2’s

A bit of snow, or slush etc even rain they are great. However they are not the full snow tire and do not do even come close to the performance of a full snow tire on ice
Old 10-27-2018, 12:38 PM   #1238

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts

shits gonna get serious this winter

I find xice3 to be so so in ice... but then I'm driving a 5000lb sedan lol

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #1239
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I had to get rid of my KO2 and buy separate winters cause they were extremely awful in the rain, that and not very good road noise and comfort.

If I lived in Alberta or someplace where it doesnt rain 24/7 like Vancouver, maybe I would've kept it.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #1240

Lol Bridgestone ko2.... I have brought shame to my family

Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #1241

For an AT tire KO2's and Duratracs are awesome, I've driven them through all kinds of crap between Kelowna/ski hill/Coq with them and they were great. Far better than the Grabber AT2, which was dog shit on ice. I think the weight of the vehicle is a factor though, I've heard complaints from fullsize truck guys they wear quickly, and my older (lighter) Jeep seemed to grip a little better with them than my new (heavier) Jeep. For a lot of ice (northern BC) I'd go for a dedicated winter tire though.

MT tires are absolutely useless in the snow and ice in my (limited) experience using them in it. The slightest incline with a bit of compact snow defeated full tread mud tires, while nearly toast snow tires climbed up the same thing no problem.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2018, 09:37 PM   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
For an AT tire KO2's and Duratracs are awesome, I've driven them through all kinds of crap between Kelowna/ski hill/Coq with them and they were great. Far better than the Grabber AT2, which was dog shit on ice. I think the weight of the vehicle is a factor though, I've heard complaints from fullsize truck guys they wear quickly, and my older (lighter) Jeep seemed to grip a little better with them than my new (heavier) Jeep. For a lot of ice (northern BC) I'd go for a dedicated winter tire though.

MT tires are absolutely useless in the snow and ice in my (limited) experience using them in it. The slightest incline with a bit of compact snow defeated full tread mud tires, while nearly toast snow tires climbed up the same thing no problem.
Studded Duratrac's are pretty good, a lot of the guys I know run them for winter. If I was going on logging roads a lot in the winter that's what I'd run.

I did mention I spent time as a volunteer firefighter up North - here's what we found in the ditch quite often when responding to MVI calls. Notice what Bro has on his truck here...

fml
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #1243

Sketchy lift blocks and bald tires. Love it
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #1244
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

So people have already put on winters?

Still waiting for the temp to drop more before I out mine on. I need to change the oil soon anyway.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #1245
I STILL don't get it

Probably going to put in an order for XI3s again for my C300, they handled that one huge dump we had last winter completely fine, and that was going up and down Cypress. That was in a 2010 open-diff Civic with a 1" drop, got out of that 6" or so of snow at the Cypress lot without issues.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #1246

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
So people have already put on winters?

Still waiting for the temp to drop more before I out mine on. I need to change the oil soon anyway.
It's gonna be raining so might as well. So tired of Pzeros slipping on wet piles of leaves.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #1247
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Would I need my winter's on for a trip to Agassiz this coming weekend?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:50 PM   #1248
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilinim View Post
Would I need my winter's on for a trip to Agassiz this coming weekend?
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-70_metric_e.html

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...hain-up-routes

Doesn't look like it at this point. No snow in the forecast, not a designated winter tire route until you hit Laidlaw.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2018, 09:51 PM   #1249

No? I just drove from Richmond to chilliwack tonight in this epic rain with all seasons, obviously no issues. It’s like 10°
Old 10-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #1250
Need my Daily Fix of RS

still too warm
punched it in a 380hp AWD on P Zeros just now (closed course) and barely slipping
R1CED` is offline   Reply With Quote