REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Recently started to get into Board Games, anyone else??? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/700668-recently-started-get-into-board-games-anyone-else.html)

PeanutButter 01-07-2015 03:25 PM

Recently started to get into Board Games, anyone else???

Ok, this all started over Christmas as we had many family dinners. My cousin who is a huge board game freak brought over a bunch of board games for all the cousins to play. Simply put, I had an amazing time.

I'm pretty competitive and played a lot of sports growing up, so I think this really sparked something in me. I got super pumped and excited and just wanted to keep playing.

Anyway, I went to my group of friends and proposed a games night just to test the waters and BAMN! What a hit. We all had a great time and it was definitely something different than going to get bubble tea, timmies, or getting drinks.

I honestly never thought I would get into board games. To be honest, I thought they were boring or "dorky". Boy, was I presumptuous. These new era board games really engage everyone and you have to be strategic. It was great.

The first game we played was:
Ticket to Ride - Great game where no one is eliminated and takes about 60mins

Coup - Ohhhh man! I love this game. It is very simple and quick to play. It is very similar to "Mafia" if you have ever played that. It is also a bluffing game as well, so if you're good at bluffing you'll excel in this game.

I am also picking up Resistance - Avalon today as well. I'm super excited about this game too. Here is a youtube video of the gameplay for Resistance

Anyone have any recommendations on anymore board games? I'm hooked! I'm hooked, I tell ya!!!!

Infiniti 01-07-2015 03:31 PM

I played Taboo recently..not bad

murd0c 01-07-2015 03:33 PM

The only game you need is Cards Against Humanity.. I have it plus all 5 expansion packs and its the best and most fun game ever.

Presto 01-07-2015 03:34 PM

Settlers of Catan is/was a popular board game for a long time. I think I have it, but I never played it.

j.f0ng 01-07-2015 03:37 PM

This probably isn't your traditional board game, but I recently found this when we were moving a few months ago:
http://www.museumofplay.org/online-c...3/Z0025364.jpg

I'm pretty sure my mom bought that for my brother and I back when we were little kids. Not exactly sure when we got it, but judging by the box I'd say around the late 90s/early 2000s. Needless to say, that Jenga set got quite a bit of play time at Christmas/New Year get togethers this year after 10+ years of being untouched.

murd0c 01-07-2015 03:41 PM

I play jenga as a drinking game. If you pull one out and place it clean you give a drink.. If you knock it over you have to finish a full drink!! Good times!!

Dragon-88 01-07-2015 03:41 PM

Settlers of Catan, always a good time!

Start page | Catan.com

Godzira 01-07-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon-88 (Post 8578168)
Settlers of Catan, always a good time!

Start page | Catan.com

I like that game too

cards against humanity is my favourite

are there any good 2 player games?

Kisame 01-07-2015 03:52 PM

settlers of catan is good. ive even got the 6 player extension

7 wonders is a complicated game, but once everyone gets how to play properly, its a quick and fun game to play

i played Risk for the first time with some buddies and that game gets pretty intense lol. Has the potential to ruin friendships

Spoon 01-07-2015 03:57 PM

Not really a board game, but when I was young I played some D&D with some family friends and really enjoyed them. Growing up, it was hard to find any friends who played them (especially the stigma that comes with it). But lately, there seems to be a resurgence in these old school games and I've been following this one in particular for about 2 years:
https://www.youtube.com/user/itmeJP/..._id=11&sort=dd

Most of them are personalities that came from Starcraft which I also follow. But it's just a bunch of people playing D&D pretty much. Give it a try if that's your thing. :)

punkwax 01-07-2015 04:07 PM

I have a buddy where whenever we go to his place, inevitably the Jenga gets broken out.

I've been playing a lot of Trouble with my kids. Easy for them and good family fun. We also have Disney's version of snakes and ladders amongst other games.

Never heard of Cards against Humanity. Wanna check it out now though!

Soundy 01-07-2015 04:24 PM

http://www.etailgifts.com/images/scrabbleboardlg.jpg

Godzira 01-07-2015 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8578183)
Never heard of Cards against Humanity. Wanna check it out now though!

Attachment 23439

punkwax 01-07-2015 04:51 PM

Even moreso now :lol

JesseBlue 01-07-2015 04:53 PM

Not a board game as well but still have lots of fun playing bomber man...also saw in the states that they are selling new 8/16 bit game consoles

bloodmack 01-07-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8578167)
I play jenga as a drinking game. If you pull one out and place it clean you give a drink.. If you knock it over you have to finish a full drink!! Good times!!

i wrote rules on every brick like chicks drink or guys drink. its like jenga kings cup.

Tim Budong 01-07-2015 05:02 PM

Cards Against Humanity is fun the first few times around...

then it got boring

iHeat 01-07-2015 05:27 PM

Ouiji board

FerrariEnzo 01-07-2015 05:34 PM

One Work... RISK

played for hours with a few buddies... awesome, smack talking fun!

Dragon-88 01-07-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkwax (Post 8578201)
Even moreso now :lol

Here ya go.

Try the online version.

Pretend You're Xyzzy

PeanutButter 01-07-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8578164)
The only game you need is Cards Against Humanity.. I have it plus all 5 expansion packs and its the best and most fun game ever.

Like another poster mentioned, I found Cards Against Humanity really boring. It's more of an entertaining drinking game if you ask me.

These games I'm playing have strategy and you need to think. CAH is in a different class than these games.

If you guys want to try, I would highly suggest getting coup. It is an amazing game.

mr_chin 01-07-2015 06:06 PM

hearhtstone

E30_vert 01-07-2015 06:08 PM

How old are you? Did you not play board games while you were growing up??

Noir 01-07-2015 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 8578204)
Not a board game as well but still have lots of fun playing bomber man...also saw in the states that they are selling new 8/16 bit game consoles

Seriously?

Back on topic. I recommend the board game "Pandemic". It's the first time I've played a board game where nobody's the bad guy. Despite it being a co-op game, it gets really intense

Hondaracer 01-07-2015 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kisame (Post 8578175)
settlers of catan is good. ive even got the 6 player extension

7 wonders is a complicated game, but once everyone gets how to play properly, its a quick and fun game to play

i played Risk for the first time with some buddies and that game gets pretty intense lol. Has the potential to ruin friendships

i played Settlers for the first time this christmas, was really fun!

and yea, me and my buddies have gotten into fist fights/flipping the table playing risk before, havent played it in quite some time lol