REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #8976
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
On the radio they've been going on all day about how Mccan was a whiner and those times where the Sedins came out saying you need to learn how to be a pro in this league were directed mainly at him and pouting over ice time/how he was being used
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2016, 10:58 AM   #8977
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
From everything I have read about Gudbranson, he is a 4th d-man at best, with average skills in every category. He will never top 20 points in a season, and he doesn't do anything bad, but he isn't great at anything either. Good skating, decent first pass, decent hockey IQ. He is a big body to clear the front of the net, and is supposedly great in the locker room. Probably not going to ever be a Top pairing d-man, unless he radically changes in Vancouver.

I'm fine with losing McCann for Gudbranson, but that 2nd round pick is going to hurt. A lot. 33rd overall could have possibly allowed Vancouver to select that type of d-man if they scouts did their job. There are usually some major gems early in the 2nd round of every draft.

Plus, isn't Tryamkin almost exactly the same as Gudbranson? Why have two players that play a similar game? Additionally, Gudbranson has one season left at $3.5 million. He is going to want a raise after that. Is a stay at home defenseman who averages 10 points a season worth $5 million a year or more?

I was hoping the Canucks would select Julolevi in the 5th spot, but now it looks like it will be Dubois (if he is still available at 5). Not a bad choice, but I think the Canucks really really need a strong puck moving defenseman that can anchor a powerplay, because this team currently has 0 players that can do the job. Maybe Hutton, but that remains to be seen.

I think this is a trade that Canucks fans will regret in a couple years.
Honestly, that 33rd OVA pick was overrated. Percentages of a decent NHL'er at that pick is poor, ~15% chance of success. Most of the time they are career minor leaguers. This draft has a pretty big drop-off in terms of talent past the top-20 prospects. I'd rather lose the 2nd rounder and get a young d-man that's already proven to handle minutes against top-line guys.

Florida is absolutely the best spot for us to trade McCann. He'll be stuck behind Bjustad and Trochek. He's not going to be very successful as a 3rd line centre and if they try him out at wing, Florida already has great depth in that position as well.

Tryamkin is unproven though and more importantly, Gudbranson and Hutton are the same age and will progress at the same rate together. It's important that we don't have a huge gap in where players are in terms of progression.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:20 AM   #8978
My homepage has been set to RS

Our best offensive centre under 30 traded. I am done until Benning is gone. Gudbranson is not top-4 quality -- what a god damn waste of assets.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #8979
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
If he can prove next season that he's a $6 million dman, I'm all for it. But for now, his offensive game doesn't justify that amount.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #8980

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDTurboLuvr View Post
Honestly, that 33rd OVA pick was overrated. Percentages of a decent NHL'er at that pick is poor, ~15% chance of success. Most of the time they are career minor leaguers. This draft has a pretty big drop-off in terms of talent past the top-20 prospects. I'd rather lose the 2nd rounder and get a young d-man that's already proven to handle minutes against top-line guys.

Florida is absolutely the best spot for us to trade McCann. He'll be stuck behind Bjustad and Trochek. He's not going to be very successful as a 3rd line centre and if they try him out at wing, Florida already has great depth in that position as well.

Tryamkin is unproven though and more importantly, Gudbranson and Hutton are the same age and will progress at the same rate together. It's important that we don't have a huge gap in where players are in terms of progression.
Actually draft picks 31 through 35 have a 34% chance of playing at least 100 games in the NHL. Decent odds. Especially when DimJim's best quality is prospect assessment and drafting. There is a guy named Thatcher Demko who was picked several years back at #36 overall. Not too bad of a pickup. #31 that year was Brendan Lemeiux and #33 was Ivan Barbashev.

Early 2nd round isn't guaranteed, but usually some guys who were potential 1st round picks fall to the early 2nd round and can end up being a solid player.

Florida was smart. They could see that Gudbranson isn't going to progress into a stud d-man, and why pay the guy $5+ million a year if he isn't going to crack their top 2 pairings.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM   #8981

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
If he can prove next season that he's a $6 million dman, I'm all for it. But for now, his offensive game doesn't justify that amount.
He doesn't have an offensive game. Think Willie Mitchell, except slightly taller.

I'll leave this here:

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-take-adva...trade-1.496247

"Truthfully, it’s difficult to see what Vancouver sees in this deal. If the prize is Gudbranson, well, the prize is something like a third-pairing defender. And the premium they paid – a legitimate prospect and multiple picks – is, in a word, inexplicable.
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #8982

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
He doesn't have an offensive game. Think Willie Mitchell, except slightly taller.
Yup read that Gudbranson is basically a younger Willie Mitchell. Not much offence, decent skater, great hitter, blocks shots, mean as shit, shut down type of guy.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #8983
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
there's just something about Benning trades that piss me off because its just so counter intuitive and reveals his crippling inability to orchestrate trades

like sending off Zack Kassian with a late pick for Brandon fucking Prust, sure both team lost but at least the Habs get a pick out of it. Sure, shots of that pick becoming an NHL player is low percentage but its better than a Canucks 2016 fifth round pick turning into a player which is hovering at, oh let me check my graphs, wait, never mind, zero fucking percent.

There's something unecessary about adding those picks. You can argue day in and day out that those picks have low chances of becoming NHL players but at the end the day, low chance is better than no chance. At this rate, we're stuck with another draft where, barring some sort of miracle or intellectual breakthrough by Benning, looks like we'll have exactly 3 fucking picks in the first 5 rounds. You build by the draft, no ifs and buts about it. When you're trading away assets that are on the ice already, at least recoup by gaining the ability to pluck more assets. Here's Benning, who's supposed strength is in scouting, shitting away prospects and all these picks when the prospect cupboard is just as fucking bare as a chalkboard counting exactly how many times the Campbell Trophy has been touched. For what? Fucking no names and reject pieces from other teams that are ahead of the development curve but have pretty significantly diminished potentials.

Seriously, I can't even look at that tweet with the list of Benning trades right now. The guy is a total fucking moron when it comes to trading, asset management and contracts. Which is basically what you do as a fucking GM.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 11:53 AM   #8984

the people in the media that are slagging the deal are those that rely 100% on analytics, which is still not proven to show the truth about players.

imo eye test is still the best way to tell, and the deal was worth it minus the 2nd. should of been a 3rd or cbj's 2nd
Old 05-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #8985

Thanked 5,474 Times in 2,095 Posts
Apparently Florida wouldn't have done the deal without the 2nd.

Oilers and Leafs were also interested in Gudbranson.

Oilers supposedly offered Yakupov + 2nd but Panthers liked McCann more
Old 05-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #8986
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Dreger - Benning 'Far From Done In Terms Of Shopping' - TSS

Dreger on Benning, not done shopping, trying to add to contend for playoff spot next year.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #8987

damn...i'm surprised they turned down Yak AND a 2nd from the oilers

really shows you that the analytics guys have quite a bit of power in FLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post

Dreger on Benning, not done shopping, trying to add to contend for playoff spot next year.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
Old 05-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #8988
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post

All the other GMs would be happy to hear that...
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 01:18 PM   #8989

Canucks sign another physical (albeit smaller) former Leafs prospect to a 1 year two way deal

Tom Nilsson - Right hand shot - 22 years old
Hockey's Future - Tom Nilsson
Tom Nilsson hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com
Old 05-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #8990
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
Apparently Florida wouldn't have done the deal without the 2nd.

Oilers and Leafs were also interested in Gudbranson.

Oilers supposedly offered Yakupov + 2nd but Panthers liked McCann more
The new regime in Toronto stays pretty quiet about what it intends to do but I am curious to know what was offered, especially given the Oilers offer and the deal itself.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #8991
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #8992

seeing as Subban is a Gillis pick, maybe he'll fetch a 2nd round at the draft
Old 05-26-2016, 02:26 PM   #8993
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Not a bad trade, still think it was too early to give up on Mccann, but Gudbranson is only 24 and has a couple more years to solidify himself as either a top 4 guy or a bottom 2.

That 2nd rounder though is a fucking knife in the back. Suck shit this year to get a reasonable draft order selection just to start trading them away.

Our defensive cupboards are full of middle tier defensemen, Watch this mother fucker jimbo grab russell. SMH
Old 05-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #8994

something has to be happening to sbisa. no way they role with a sbisa tryamkin pairing. that would be a disaster.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:56 PM   #8995

Sbisa for a 2nd round pick?
lol...don't think there are any takers with his cap hit though

Benning has been on record many times saying that he intends to carry as much dmen in the NHL roster as he can. He's got enough now without re-signing garbage like Bartkowski so i think Sbisa stays
Old 05-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #8996
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I'm gonna stay positive and hope Gudbranson can develop into a solid 2nd pairing eating big minutes and holding his own. Season hasn't started yet and he's already under fire...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #8997
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
OMG, Stamkos is playing game 7. Interesting.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #8998
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,098 Times in 4,998 Posts
I was kinda mad about the 2nd round pick too... But If you stop and think about it, whatever you think of Benning, the one thing he without a doubt knows is drafting right? If he didn't think there was anything worthwhile at 33 then the pick was expendable, simple as that in my mind.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #8999
Ebisu Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
OMG, Stamkos is playing game 7. Interesting.
Wow, that's dramatic. Goosebumps, missing the entire playoffs with blood clots but coming in for game 7.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #9000
Ebisu Boss

Hoping he makes a big impact! I'm cheering for Tampa, Garrison for the cup!