REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:37 PM   #6251
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I don't see too much fault in keeping Miller around, if he'll stay for a reasonable cap hit. If they move him at this deadline arguably his highest selling price, lucky to get 2nd or 3rd rounder back IMO. Could keep markstrom and let him continue to develop with the plan to move him for a more valuable asset next year or after making a spot for demko. Since we're in no position to win anything, nothing wrong with extending miller for a year or two while demko ripens. The last thing the city needs is another goalie controversy between markstrom and demko. Of course lots of assumptions being made in the above scenario
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #6252
My homepage has been set to RS

The risk of drafting ncaa players is they don't have to sign with the NHL team that drafted them which is a scary situation for the Canucks! I'm really hoping boeser and demko sign in the summer and don't pull a schultz or other ncaa players that didn't sign with their teams that drafted them...imagine how fucked the Canucks would be...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 PM   #6253
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
The risk of drafting ncaa players is they don't have to sign with the NHL team that drafted them which is a scary situation for the Canucks! I'm really hoping boeser and demko sign in the summer and don't pull a schultz or other ncaa players that didn't sign with their teams that drafted them...imagine how fucked the Canucks would be...
God forbid that scenario happens, but the Canucks could still trade their rights and salvage something, especially if a team wanted to get first crack at signing the kid(s).

I'm guessing the number 1 priority for JB this summer is to get Demko under contract. Stamkos would have to wait

Honestly though as a kid I don't see why Vancouver wouldn't be a desirable destination to play as, unlike in years past, there are actually roster spots not taken up by incumbent veterans. They're currently undergoing a rebuild where youth is being served. The number one thing those kids care about is playing time, with money a close second. Demko would be practically gifted a spot in 2-3 years, as would likely Boeser if their college career arcs continue on the same path.

Unless they really wanted to go to a hometown team or be stuck in the minors for an always-contending team like Chicago, then I think there's nothing to worry about from a Canucks standpoint.

But then again, Canucks.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #6254
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Not to mention you have to believe Vancouver would be a desirable city to live in for at least half the kids. Big and beautiful city with mild weather, and lots of recreation in the off season. It has to easily be in the top 10 in the NHL
Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #6255
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
I'm not too worried about Boeser as he's a 1st year NCAA player. Lots of time to sign him.

Demko is in his 3rd year and, if he's going to sign, expect him to sign shortly after his college season is over so he can collect a paycheque and burn a year off his ELC.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #6256
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
At this point, if Benning is able to trade away Prust/Higgins for pick and not do anything else. I think it's a good trade deadline. lol
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:04 PM   #6257
x_x

Quote:
* he was not surprised that Shinkaruk was traded. Said Benning has been trying to trade him from day one. Benning does not like his game and was one of the assets he identified very early as not fitting into the long term plans. They needed him to have this breakout year in Utica in order to move him. Last year he couldn't even get a second for him. He was offered up for Clendenning and Chicago said no, they wanted Forsling. LA wouldn't take him for Vey, they wanted the second. As far as my friend knows there were no off ice issues or attitude problems with him. Benning just did not like his game.
Jim: "Oh you won't take hunter?"
Chicago: "Nah, kids garbage, we know how to draft/develop. Give us Forsling"
Jim: "Alright you twisted my arm, here's Forsling"
Chicago: "Man that was easy, that Clendenning sure didn't pan out for us but now we get another shot to develop Forsling "

This trade still pisses me off to this day. Not only was it a GOD AWFUL trade, but reiterates the shit mentality of the organization. It's not like Clendenning was some crazy good prospect, and you have to wonder why a team like Chicago is letting him go. I just don't think that trade was necessary, and it looks even worse now seeing how that guy isn't even on the roster. But just Canucks things, trading away prospects to "make the playoffs". If you believed in your development system a trade like that shouldn't happen. Orgs always hope that prospects pan out but they didn't even give the kid a chance, and there he was ripping it up in the WJC winning gold (Forsling). If it was me i would have gambled on Forsling. But now, Chicago gets to. No wonder they're so fucking good, and keep getting better.
jdmhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM   #6258
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
That's my main issue with the Shinkaruk trade. Kid wasn't given a chance to prove himself, was progressing well with 2 years left on his ELC. Forsling wasn't even signed and, again, was developing well by all accounts.

It doesn't even matter, IMO, if Clendening or Granlund end up better or not. We shouldn't be giving up on prospects who are showing continuous growth. To trade them for waiver-eligible "buy-low" prospects of other teams is just adding to the face palming. What message does it send to other prospects in the organization? Do everything asked of you and it won't matter if we don't see you as a "fit" for our "plan."

Baertschi is the only one that made a little sense, mainly because it was an intangible asset (late 2nd) for a project with potential that, at least lately, looks like it'll pan out.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #6259
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
guaranteed if we pursue drouin, yzerman is gonna try to unload matt carle along with him and dump his fat salary. no to drouin.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #6260
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
Quote:
* a lot of confusion in the dressing room. Says the players he meets with have that deer in the headlights look. They are I guess in a dazed sorta way. They just can't believe they are where they are, how the wheels fell off so early in the season and just never corrected. They refused to use injuries as the excuse but do acknowledge injuries have played a part. Everyone he has talked says they are a better team than what the standings show and seem at a loss to explain this season.
that last bit... its very true. This team should be better in the standings.

Quote:
* the dressing room is not as fractured as it was a few weeks back which has me speculating that Prust may have been part of the issue but I'm just guessing. He says there are still issues in the room but wouldn't or couldn't elaborate.
anytime someone significant... sorta.. gets moved to the minors, it gonna send shockwaves throughout the room... same shit during layoffs at an office.

Quote:
* he was not surprised that Shinkaruk was traded. Said Benning has been trying to trade him from day one. Benning does not like his game and was one of the assets he identified very early as not fitting into the long term plans. They needed him to have this breakout year in Utica in order to move him. Last year he couldn't even get a second for him. He was offered up for Clendenning and Chicago said no, they wanted Forsling. LA wouldn't take him for Vey, they wanted the second. As far as my friend knows there were no off ice issues or attitude problems with him. Benning just did not like his game.
I believe this was brought up before

Quote:
* on Miller, he does not believe Benning will trade him, now or in the summer. Benning is pretty insistent that Miller is their number one and will be next year, as the plan will be to make the playoffs next year as well. In fact Benning has said that depending upon Markstrom's development next year they would consider bringing Miller back for 1-2 years as Demko develops in the pros. He does not see Markstrom as a number one at this point. I get the sense that he sees Markstrom as the stop gap until Demko is ready. But this could change over the course of the next year I guess.
Markstrom not panning out and having Miller for another year or two to give time for Demko is fine in my books. barring any miracles, this team isn't shooting up the standings in the next 2-3 years.
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #6261
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
there was a gif circulating on the day (or day before) of the retro jerseys where virtanen was going around tapping players with his stick to rile em up, and he skips vrabata lol its all making sense now ^

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #6262
nah

I wish Gaglardi was our owner. Remember how Aquilini acquired the Canucks? It shows a lot about a person when they do shit like that. No honour with thieves...

Gaglardi makes the big leagues, at last - Canadian Business - Your Source For Business News
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #6263
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
You know what, I can see something like that happening.
Maybe DimJim isn't that bad.

I think ownership is putting the pressure on them to win NOW and the only way to do that and stay competitive in a few years is to trade away some of the young young kids for players that are 23-25ish so that they will be hitting their prime in 3-4 years when the twins are no longer part of the team.

I can see them trading away Hansen now that he is a 19 goal scorer for $2.5M per season.

So, trade Hansen this season for a 1st round pick.
Trade McCann + Gaunce + ??? for someone who is can score and is 23-25ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
No way could Benning Give up a first in this years draft but saying that I'm sure he would since he's making that playoff push and all..
According to Sports Club Stats (Vancouver Canucks Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats) Canucks have a 3.7% chance of making the playoffs.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #6264
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Not to mention you have to believe Vancouver would be a desirable city to live in for at least half the kids. Big and beautiful city with mild weather, and lots of recreation in the off season. It has to easily be in the top 10 in the NHL
NHLers enjoys being here for the girls not so sure about the lifestyle, fanbase and attention they will receive.
A Canuck player banging up a joey's waitress probably gonna make headlines for years. Not so much if its Tyler Seguin

McCann + Hamhuis + Gaunce for Drouin + Carle
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #6265
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxbig View Post
McCann + Hamhuis + Gaunce for Drouin + Carle
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:02 PM   #6266
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,647 Posts
Living and playing in Cali is probably the best situation in the league
Old 02-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #6267
I subscribe to Revscene

i'm beginning to question Benning's scouting abilities.
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:32 PM   #6268

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
The Steve Dangle Podcast - Feb 23, 2016 - 'This is the show, kid' - Sportsnet.ca
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 PM   #6269

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
there was a gif circulating on the day (or day before) of the retro jerseys where virtanen was going around tapping players with his stick to rile em up, and he skips vrabata lol its all making sense now ^
This is the Youtube video of Virtanen not tapping his stick on Vrbata.

Watch the first four seconds of the video.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 PM   #6270
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

1 thing I liked a lot about Shinkaruk was his skating and footwork. I wanted to see what he could do in the NHL.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #6271
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
1 thing I liked a lot about Shinkaruk was his skating and footwork. I wanted to see what he could do in the NHL.
you'll see him a lot, he plays in the same division
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #6272
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts

Hutton is my new favourite player. Lol.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #6273
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Hutton is my new favourite player. Lol.
I wouldn't get too attached...he was drafted by Gillis after all.

...semisrs
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #6274

Huttons the man!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #6275
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts

sorry if repost never seen this, cool to see how some ppl choose their #'s. out future captain is a softy

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote