REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
edited to try and bring a little sense to you and ur supporters

you realize those refugees are trying to escape these same attacks X10000 that's happening to them and their families everyday? not only by ISIS but also by Syrian/American bombing raids...
It would be great to get people from all sides to discuss this.

From my perspective, how do you distinguish between the real refugees and migrant opportunists?
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #27
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Death toll is likely going to be 200-300 when all is said and done.

Odds are Europe, and consequently the rest of the world, are going to seriously rethink their immigration and refugee policy; even if it comes out that none of them were recent arrivals to France, the damage has been done.

Gonna suck for the real refugees, but what can you do? The real world is a scary and evil place; opening up your borders just to be nice and do the right thing comes at a cost.

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #28
God of Unce

140 as of now.. damn.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #29
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
"A man who was inside the theatre when the gunmen entered told a French radio station that the men shouted 'Allah Akbar' as they opened fire."

And you wonder why so many are against a huge influx of new immigrants these days.....this worlds so screwed.
The terrorists shouted 'Allah Akbar' and 'this is for Syria' as they burst in and opened fire, witnesses have said

Paris shooting leaves 60 dead as terrorists hold hostages at Bataclan concert hall | Daily Mail Online

and you wonder why I am against letting Syrian refugees in.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
you must not realize what is to be Canadian after all those years of having Harper around... we help those in need, it's what we've always done

if you help people based solely on guesstimating if they'll help you back, you're a POS

The "whats in it for me attitude" just doesn't fly, and if more people were selfish like that nothing would ever happen, The Dutch wouldn't have been saved by Canada in WW2 those locked in concentration camps would all be dead, ethnic cleansing would always succeed

as for if i'll be hosting any refugees, no, i've simply no room here, but my parents do run a foundation which is actively supporting many charities which does encompass aid for refugees....but i don't see what that has to do with anything

conflating terrorists with the refugees who are escaping terror is absolutely absurd! and i suspect stems from bigotry
classic limousine liberal logic. cries out that everyone should have a duty to help refugees when he himself is unwilling to do anything personally. also cries out "bigotry" and "intolerance" when there seems to be a very clear and common denominator to all these barbarous acts being perpetuated almost daily.

there is nothing tolerant about about tolerating intolerance. islam is a barbarous and backwards ass ideology and is a cancer on the world. prove to me otherwise
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #31
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

From my perspective, how do you distinguish between the real refugees and migrant opportunists?
They're targeting single mothers with children, young families, and those with Canadian relatives as those tend to be the lowest security risks.

If you're a single male, you basically have no chance as they're the highest security risk.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #32
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
classic limousine liberal logic. cries out that everyone should have a duty to help refugees when he himself is unwilling to do anything personally. also cries out "bigotry" and "intolerance" when there seems to be a very clear and common denominator to all these barbarous acts being perpetuated almost daily.

there is nothing tolerant about about tolerating intolerance. islam is a barbarous and backwards ass ideology and is a cancer on the world. prove to me otherwise

as for me doing nothing personally, i do donate 15-20% of my income to charities, i simply noted that i had no room to house migrants...but thanks also for admitting that you're a bigot makes continuing on with you pointless
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #33
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
as for me doing nothing personally, i do donate 15-20% of my income to charities, i simply noted that i had no room to house migrants...but thanks also for admitting that you're a bigot makes continuing on with you pointless
uh huh
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Facebook has set up this tool to find people you may be worried about in Paris tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/safetycheck...error_attacks/
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post

Gonna suck for the real refugees, but what can you do? The real world is a scary and evil place; opening up your borders just to be nice and do the right thing comes at a cost.
And if the West hadn't toppled dictators in Iraq, Libya, and other countries, there wouldn't have been this mass exodus of people looking to save themselves.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:15 PM   #36
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,646 Times in 2,302 Posts
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #37
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
bunch of fucking yahoos. they really need to go suck a duck

edit: I see this thread has started to turn into another yelling and screaming session. Congrats to the parties involved!
Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #38
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

Yup, more education and discussion is great imo. Stylin Red made some very good points.

This is also a question that I have. I would like your Red's opinion on this, as it's not an easy straight forward topic.

In europe, many of the refugees are found to be economic migrants that are not from Syria who pretend to be syrian. They don't speak arabic, have fake ID's pretending to be Syrian and are actually from bangladesh or African.

What do we do with these "refugees" then, do we send them back. Keep them? I feel morally we have an obligation to help them. But where does it stop. How many do we take in.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #39

This was one of the top comments from Reddit that resonated with me.

Quote:
I want to cry. This is happening in my town. I'm not leaving in Paris anymore, but this is still my city. I'm fed up of those idiots. I'm an ex-military, I understand war. I would understand killing soldiers.
But those guys just kill innocents. They kill everyone, anyone. They disfigure my city. I'm fealing tired, I'm just crying right now because they are creating such hate in me. I am one of the people in France advocating for acceptations of every religion, despite being atheist. I am one of those that want to accept immigrants in, to let them settle here.
But then you get those guys .. I am slowly feeling less and less inclined to any form of sympathy toward muslims and islam. This is not me, but I can't help it.
Where are the muslim countries when it comes to fight ISIS ? Why is it still the western world fighting them ? ISIS would have been over in a month had any of the big muslim countries fought them.
And muslims in France, they keep telling us "it's not us"; but those terrorists are born here. They're the brothers, cousins, fathers of those telling us "it's not us". Yes it's you. It's your fault for not stopping them, too.

I guess my comment is racist, bigoted and vitriolic. I am sorry. I am just depressed. But all they managed to do with each attack is to strenghten our resolve to fight them as a country.
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:41 PM   #40
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Isis/isil/etc?

Time to flatten the Middle East.
stupid thing to say. there's also 4 million muslims in France. kill em all while you're at it.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEatClams View Post
Yup, more education and discussion is great imo. Stylin Red made some very good points.

This is also a question that I have. I would like your Red's opinion on this, as it's not an easy straight forward topic.

In europe, many of the refugees are found to be economic migrants that are not from Syria who pretend to be syrian. They don't speak arabic, have fake ID's pretending to be Syrian and are actually from bangladesh or African.

What do we do with these "refugees" then, do we send them back. Keep them? I feel morally we have an obligation to help them. But where does it stop. How many do we take in.
Canada normally accepts between 10,000 and 14,000 refugees each year. This year, Trudeau has set out to take in an additional 25,000 refugees specifically from Syria.

As I mentioned, they are targeting people from low security risk demographics. In addition, they'll be screened before coming to Canada and screened again upon arrival before being placed into a resettlement program.

I'm not sure what they'll do with people found to make fraudulent claims regarding their origins.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 04:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
The terrorists shouted 'Allah Akbar' and 'this is for Syria' as they burst in and opened fire, witnesses have said

Paris shooting leaves 60 dead as terrorists hold hostages at Bataclan concert hall | Daily Mail Online

and you wonder why I am against letting Syrian refugees in.
I have good friends that have booked flights to Paris over the next couple of weeks to take advantage of that $600 deal that was floating around. Thank God they have cancellation insurance.

They say if you hide in fear, the terrorists win... but I say better to be cautious than dead. (Also better to be alive than politically correct - if I ever hear anyone yell Allahu Akhbar in a foreign country I'm getting the fuck outta dodge).

RIP to all those affected in Paris. I'm surprised the footy match continued on while the attacks were going on (and finished with a resounding 2-0 French victory no less)
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #43
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelt View Post
I have good friends that have booked flights to Paris over the next couple of weeks to take advantage of that $600 deal that was floating around. Thank God they have cancellation insurance.

They say if you hide in fear, the terrorists win... but I say better to be cautious than dead. (Also better to be alive than politically correct - if I ever hear anyone yell Allahu Akhbar in a foreign country I'm getting the fuck outta dodge).
Probably the safest time to visit, given the knee jerking that will now inevitably follow. My dad flew to New York on 9/11/02. His reasoning was that it would likely be the safest day of the year to fly there, given all the extra security. Plus airliners were basically giving seats away just to fill 'em. lol

RIP to everyone killed in Paris tonight. I've actually been to a couple of the places where there were shootings and bombings and couldn't imagine what must have happened there.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #44
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Quote:
uh huh
im not sure what you're suggesting here? looking at your previous message and this one are you laying a false claim that all muslims are intolerant? or that all syrians are intolerant muslims? and so we should let them die? you'd be wrong either way

that's what it seems like you're saying...

Popper didn't advocate ignoring those facing an imminent threat, afaik, he rejected the responsibility argument in that to solve the problem you have to attack the bigger picture, slowly, not simply showing up to patch things up when shit hits the fan but that doesn't mean you ignore the shit...

Here's one for you

Last edited by StylinRed; 11-13-2015 at 05:05 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #45
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
lets hope this makes justin trudeau seriously consider taking in all those fucking syrian refugees
Serious question: Why are we blaming Syria for this? Sure, there are Syrians that have been recruited into ISIS, but that's not the only country where fighters are from. Britain, France, USA... hell, there last year there was someone who went to the university here in Kamloops who went over seas to fight for ISIS (and, yes, he was Canadian born). To condemn the entire Muslim population to a terrorist stereotype is asinine, incorrect and just plain wrong. Sure, a tiny fraction of people seeking asylum might be hidden terrorists, but the VAST majority are people looking to escape persecution and terrorism themselves.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #46
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
there's also 4 million muslims in France.
France has the highest percentage of muslim residents in a western country. It has had the most terror attacks in the western world. Coincidence? Just food for thought....

I want to say these events should be a wake up call, but they NEED to be a wake up call. I've read reports that anywhere between 10 and 15 percent of the migrants pouring into Europe support what ISIS is trying to achieve in the middle east. As has been said, most of the European migrants are economical and NOT from the regions affected by the fighting. Those people all went to Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Egypt, etc long ago.

Bringing 25,000 refugees in I have no problem with, but they most certainly need to be vetted and from actual conflict zones. Doing that properly to ensure both their success here and maintaining the security of all Canadians takes time. The Liberal gov't has bitten off WAY more than they can chew by saying they'll have it done in 6 weeks. Canadians (and Americans) are incredibly blessed to live in one of the most stable and prosperous regions in the world. That is because we are geographically segregated. We cannot allow a Trojan horse to happen here, and I hope what's happened in Paris makes all the bleeding hearts here realize that the world outside our borders can be/is a very dangerous place.

I saw this video the other day and it's pretty sensationalist. I'm not siding one way or the other, I'm just posting it for discussion only. Some of it is ridiculous, but some of the clips really speak for themselves.

I'm not going to pray for Paris, cross my fingers, or wish upon a star. I'm going to hope the French police, intelligence agencies, and military, use their training to fucking smash all those responsible and the enemy chain of command both locally and abroad.

Last edited by JD像; 11-13-2015 at 05:21 PM.
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #47
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Waiting for the French government to let go of the leash and let the FFL go to town on ISIS
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2015, 05:39 PM   #48
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
France has the highest percentage of muslim residents in a western country. It has had the most terror attacks in the western world. Coincidence? Just food for thought...
Apparently Germany is number 1, and France close second.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=musli...87.1122hzC1FVw
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #49
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

You know where a majority of the Syrians are going to settle? That's right BC...

All our social systems (healthcare, schools, etc) are going to be further strained. Hopefully Justin will be kicking in extra dollars to BC for taking a majority of the refugees.

Thousands of Syrian refugees expected in B.C. by end of the year - British Columbia - CBC News
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah View Post
You know where a majority of the Syrians are going to settle? That's right BC...

All our social systems (healthcare, schools, etc) are going to be further strained. Hopefully Justin will be kicking in extra dollars to BC for taking a majority of the refugees.

Thousands of Syrian refugees expected in B.C. by end of the year - British Columbia - CBC News
Literally the first sentence of the article you linked to ...
Quote:
Roughly 2,700 Syrian refugees are expected to land in B.C. over the next seven weeks, as part of the federal Liberal government's promise to settle 25,000 refugees in Canada.
Slightly more than 10% (amongst the 10 provinces) is ... a majority?
This post thanked by: