REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #176
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
I'm just going to leave this here.

If you have a 5 mins or so to spare, I would recommend watching it.

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse/...3902038319238/
Advertisement

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #177
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
So of course, talk radio is full of this and related topics today... the point was made earlier, with whatever subject matter expert they had on at the time, that these 25,000 refugees... are ones that have already been "in the pipeline" to come to Canada for months, even years... most of whom have been languishing in refugee camps all that time, most already vetted by the UN *and* gone through Canadian immigration checks are well, and have just been waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to slowly turn.

In other words, these are not people who are just being plucked out of a Syrian war zone and then dropped off at the YYZ international terminal.

And again I'll say, the only people I've heard say anything about just shipping them all in willy-nilly without the proper process, have been people afraid that that's what is happening. Trudeau stated yesterday that that was not the case, and I believe Obama made the same statement today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #178
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I don't think anyone is against bringing in refugees from war torn places. What I have a problem with is the timeline Justin wants to do it in
Well, it's something to get off his checklist.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #179
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,700 Posts
This guy, Al Ghareeb the Algerian, threatens an attack against Washington, D.C. He is part of ISIS.
Other European countries are also threatened with attacks.

Last edited by pastarocket; 11-16-2015 at 08:16 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #180
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Even Syrian refugees say it is not easy to identify the fakes among them
Old 11-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #181

Quote:
Old 11-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #182

Quote:
Can we just call a spade a spade and say yes, we actually don't give a fuck about the killings In these other countries which happen on a "daily" basis compared to a western "safe" nation like France?

Honestly, in places like Lebanon, in the last 20 years there have been more years of terror and violence than not. Places where home grown terror runs rampant and outside forces come and go, truly, I don't care.
There's some truth to this. I remember stories about violence in Beirut being common in the news when I was young. I didn't pay much attention to them then, but I do remember it was big news whenever it happened. But after 30+ years of it, you're right, people get desensitized. "Ho-hum, another bombing in Lebanon... ho-hum, it's going to rain for the next two months in Vancouver. SOP, next story please." Yes, it's a terrible thing, but it's not NEWS the same way that a coordinated attack in a major Western city is.

Hell, to this day, a buddy who's just a few years younger than me, and lives in Surrey (96th and 125th area), says the same thing every year during Diwali - "my neighborhood sounds like Beirut".

That said... this article makes a good point: https://medium.com/@TooManyEmmas/the...t-1543447db983
Quote:
Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #183
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
what if religion didn't exist?

lol that's like saying what if dog's didnt sniff each others asses.

they wouldnt be dogs.

if religion didn't exist, then humans wouldn't exist. you guys are describing a fundamental human trait.

religion is the scape goat here. if religion didn't exist, it would be called something else. nationalism. idealism. whatever you want.

if religion didn't exist, the same shit would happen.

the only way this shit doesn't happen, is if humans didnt exist.

it is our nature.

well maybe if we all had our own planet and unlimited resources and non aggressive genetic tendencies... we'd be gods

after a dark ages, comes a renaissance. hopefully this dark ages for the middle east passes faster than the dark ages for the west.

as for now, just gimmie my mcdix and netflix. when me and my common folk get that privilege taken away, then we'll really do something about this problem lol. as for now, i'm gonna click like, and onto the next cat video.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #184
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Reports coming in another attack attempted in Germany. Some reporting ambulance full of explosives, others saying just a suitcase of explosives. No confirmation officially yet

Report: German stadium evacuated after ambulance filled with explosives found | Q13 FOX News

Quote:
HANNOVER, Germany — A German newspaper is reporting that a soccer match in Hannover was canceled because an ambulance full of explosives was found out front following a bomb threat.

There was no immediate confirmation of that report, though the Hannover chief of police was quoted by multiple sources as saying “there was a device intended to be detonated inside the stadium.”

An announcement by police informed spectators about an hour and a half before kickoff on Tuesday that the stadium would be evacuated.

DW Sports reported that the TUI-Arena, which was to host a pop concert, had also been evacuated.

Members of the German government including Chancellor Angela Merkel had been scheduled to attend the match to send a signal that Germany wouldn’t bow to terrorism in the wake of the Paris attacks.

Announcements at the stadium in northern Germany advised people to go home in a calm manner, and that there was no danger to fear. Most fans were still waiting outside when the order to evacuate came about an hour and a half before kickoff.

There were no signs of panic, with most fans seemingly accepting the decision with resignation. Police became more forceful with members of the media who attempted to stay beside the stadium.

Security was very tight before the game, with police armed with machine guns surrounding the stadium and maintaining a very obvious presence in the city. Reporters arriving for the game were searched, while a sniffer dog was deployed to check their bags.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #185
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
That's all good and fine, but man, why aren't you talking about the starving kids in Africa?
Old 11-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #186
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,910 Posts
interesting article (republicans are scary)

Paris attacks: Why is 1939 invoked in Syrian refugee debate? - BBC News

Quote:
The recent controversy over resettling Syrian refugees on US soil has some critics drawing comparisons to the plight of Jews fleeing the Nazi Holocaust during World War 2.

Following last week's Paris attacks, numerous Republican presidential candidates have called on the Obama administration to suspend plans to issue visas to 10,000 of the millions of Syrian refugees who have fled the growing conflict in their home country.

In addition several dozen governors have said they will take whatever steps possible to block Syrian refugees from entering their states. Senator David Vitter, running for governor of Louisiana, released a television advert alleging that his Democratic opponent will allow Islamic militants to threaten their citizens.

Presidential candidates such former Florida Governor Jeb Bush and Texas Senator Ted Cruz have said the US should give preference to Christian refugees and help Muslims fleeing Syria to relocate to other Muslim nations.

Such religious tests, writes Janell Ross of the Washington Post, are obscene in "a country where early settlers arrived seeking riches and freedom to practise their faith".
She is one of many who have raised a Jewish Holocaust analogy.

"Just before and during World War 2, the decision to cast group suspicion on European Jews and deny most entry on the grounds that with relatives and ties to Europe they might be spies or vulnerable to forced spying helped cost innumerable lives during the Holocaust," she writes.

Several writers specifically mentioned the story of the St Louis, a cruise ship carrying more than 900 Jewish refugees from Germany that was denied entry into Cuba and then the US.

The ship was forced to return to Western Europe, where a quarter the refugees eventually died in the Holocaust.

David Bier of the Niskanen Center writes that in 1940 US State Department "essentially endorsed the decision to turn back the St Louis", as it recommended Caribbean nations continue to refuse entry for Jewish refugees for fears that "spies had infiltrated the refugee stream".

"The refugee has got to be checked because, unfortunately, among the refugees there are some spies, as has been found in other countries," President Franklin Roosevelt said at the time.

Others critics have drawn parallels between today's rhetoric and public sentiments expressed in the late 1930s.

They cite a 1938 Fortune magazine poll asking Americans whether European political refugees should be allowed to enter the US. Nearly 70% said "with conditions as they are, we should try to keep them out". Only 5% said the US should raise immigration quotas to allow more entries.

The following year, 61% of the US public said the government should not admit "10,000 refugee children from Germany - most of them Jewish".

Contrast that with comments by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who is also seeking the Republican presidential nomination, who said on Monday that the US should deny entry to all Syrian refugees - including orphans under the age of five until they can receive "appropriate vetting".

"Most Western countries regarded the plight of Jewish refugees with scepticism or unveiled bigotry (and sympathy only followed wider knowledge of the monstrous slaughters of the Holocaust)," the Washington Post's Ishaan Tharoor writes. "It's worth remembering this mood when thinking about the current moment, where the United States is once more in the throes of a debate over letting in refugees."

Vox's Max Fisher is more direct in his criticism of the rhetoric now dominating the Republican presidential campaign.

"American politicians are acting to punish innocent men, women and children because they fear people who are different," he tweets. "It's as if history never happened, as if we have no precedent or past we might learn from."

Ed Striker, editor of the conservative website NewsMachete, calls such historical analogies offensive.

"Jews who came to America were not themselves violent," he writes in the American Thinker. "They did not strap bombs on themselves and blow themselves up in theatres; they did not go into restaurants and execute diners, one by one; and they did not attempt to set up a caliphate wherever they moved to, although they did tend to dominate the deli, bagel-making and stand-up comedy fields."

He says Muslim refugees support sharia law and are intolerant of other religions, and a "large subset" want to kill people of other religions.

The Wall Street Journal's editors write that while the recent push to close the US border to Syrian refugees is regrettable, it's the result of Mr Obama's failure to take what they see as common-sense steps to safeguard the US against the threat of Islamic militants.

"Metadata collection or surveillance of mosques or Muslim students doesn't compare to what a frightened American public might support if a Paris-like event occurred on Rush Street in Chicago or the Mall of America in Minneapolis," they write. "The internment camps for Japanese-Americans in World War 2 were a shameful period in US history, but FDR, a progressive hero, allowed the camps under political pressure after Pearl Harbor."

World War 2 analogies are by no means restricted to the left, however.

On Sunday Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio criticised Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton for failing to say the US is "at war with radical Islam.

"I don't understand it," the Florida senator said during an ABC interview. "That would be like saying we weren't at war with the Nazis, because we were afraid to offend some Germans who may have been members of the Nazi Party, but weren't violent themselves."

Jonathan Chait of New York Magazine says that such a metaphor implies that "the Muslim faith as a whole is equivalent to Nazism, and violent jihadi terrorists are the equivalent of the Nazi leadership."

Immigration was already a superheated topic among presidential candidates before Friday's Paris attacks.

Now, however, the debate has become laced with issues of national security and morality - and allusions to a dark chapter in 20th Century history.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:36 PM   #187

Police raids in France, resulted in police injuries and supposedly a female suspect that blew herself up

Paris attacks: Latest updates - BBC News

switch on your fav news station
Old 11-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #188
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,303 Times in 1,980 Posts
I'm not sure what's scarier:

The fact that so many Christian Americans don't want to take in Syrian refugees (which, ironically, would be an extremely Christian thing to do)

OR

At some point, we're going to stop talking about France and ISIS and move on to the latest school shooting, another reason Trudeau sucks or some celebrity gossip bullshit (I see Charlie Sheen has already made the rounds).

Soon enough, the water cooler conversations, the Social media nutjob tirades and intellectual discussions on forums will fizzle out. We'll still scream that ISIS should all die but very little groundwork will be made.

I still wanna know why no one has done anything about the bombing of the Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post

I still wanna know why no one has done anything about the bombing of the Doctors Without Borders Hospital in Afghanistan.
nothing will be done, why? because of who bombed it. it's not the first time, and i doubt the last time, that the US bombs such a target

back to your point, look how quickly people forgot about the bombed Russian passenger jet. heck no one even made a thread about it on RS, when people loved posting about every missing jet

people like to pick and choose what they care about, and it will only last so long before they move on, because it's a form of entertainment to them
Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
look how quickly people forgot about the bombed Russian passenger jet. heck no one even made a thread about it on RS, when people loved posting about every missing jet
Fuckin commies had it comin'.

Spoiler!
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #191
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
It's harder to have a knee jerk reaction to events like the plane bombing because you don't know exactly what happened for days to weeks

It's easier for your typical Facebook hero to post up an opinion when there is more concrete information as opposed to thinking a Russian plane crashed on its own, which they are prone to do. Although it was an Airbus but I doubt too many went that deep into it

Again though, why am I worried about this doctors without borders bombing? People are dieing non stop there..stick your hand in the beehive and get stung.

As un-PC at it is, different lives DO matter/are valued more than others. And yea, I do care moreso about a seemingly innocent Parisian going to a concert and taking a bullet than I do some family living in a mud but that gets blown up.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #192
I keep RS good

equality is a lie. everyone with half a brain knows that.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 01:03 AM   #193
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
The passport belonging to that guy was a Syrian refugee from Greece, not the guy himself. He has yet to be identified.

Aside from him, they have all been identified as EU citizens with valid passports. No refugees or people pretending to be refugees. Some were previously known to be threats.

Paris attacks: Eight terror suspects named so far are not refugees and have EU passports | Europe | News | The Independent

Quote:
A passport found near the remains of a suicide bomber at the Stade de France purporting to belong to a Syrian refugee named Ahmed Almuhamed, 25, gave rise to 'scare' headlines...

According to the Greek government, the passport was used by someone who landed in the Greek islands in early October, before being used again to cross the southern border into Serbia. The French prosecutor's office said the fingerprints of the dead man matched a print of a person registered under the same name in Greece in October 2015.

But there were claims that the document was stolen or a fake, made in Turkey, and French investigators said it may even have been 'planted' at the scene of the bombings at the Stade de France as part of a sophisticated propaganda plan by Isis to infiltrate and exploit the refugee crisis.
This is why I wait for better information, a lot of misinformation gets put out into the echo chamber and it spreads from there.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 03:36 AM   #194
I keep RS good

why wait for real info... why even care about misinformation...

it's not like you knowing the truth changes the fact of anything.

not like you're the director of the FBI or whatever french version.

what does it even matter what we know? lol. our opinion doesn't sway the result. and at the end, how do u even know it's the TRUTH? there must be so many other factors that we totally don't know about. at the end all we hear is some news report.

i guess this is just a topic for gossip.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #195

Quote:
It's easier for your typical Facebook hero to post up an opinion when there is more concrete information as opposed to thinking a Russian plane crashed on its own, which they are prone to do.
Planes do NOT simply break up in mid-air all by themselves. I think the last time anything like that happened was in 1988 when a chunk of the roof of Aloha Airlines 243 came off, and they still managed to land safely. Even Russia has better maintenance than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
why wait for real info... why even care about misinformation...

it's not like you knowing the truth changes the fact of anything.

not like you're the director of the FBI or whatever french version.

what does it even matter what we know? lol. our opinion doesn't sway the result. and at the end, how do u even know it's the TRUTH? there must be so many other factors that we totally don't know about. at the end all we hear is some news report.

i guess this is just a topic for gossip.
It matters because it leads to shit like this:

Mosque fire deemed a hate crime as community rallies to rebuild - The Globe and Mail

Muslim woman attacked in Toronto, told to ?go back to your country?: police | Globalnews.ca

Marseille Muslim woman slashed as hate crimes rise after Paris attacks | World | News | Daily Express

Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #196

Concerned about Syrian refugees entering Canada? You should read this. - HeadSpaceHeadSpace
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #197
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
posting someone's blog post to prove a point...?

Brb linking to my tumblr
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #198
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
My 'hope' came true.

Paris attacks: 'Ringleader' Abdelhamid Abaaoud killed in raid - BBC News

"His body was found riddled with bullets and shrapnel in the apartment."
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #199

Fine, how about an opinion piece by an actual immigration lawyer who KNOWS WHAT THE PROCESS IS?

Why Canada Can Safely Meet Its Refugee Commitments | The Tyee

Or listen to her on the Simi Sara show this morning:

https://soundcloud.com/cknw/why-cana...ow-thur-nov-19

Point form:
  • The refugees coming to Canada left Syria and applied for refugee status months or even years ago; if they're terrorists, they've spent a helluva long time cooling their heels in camps waiting for the chance to attack a maple syrup farm.
  • UN screeners train specifically in vetting war-zone refugees to weed out potential troublemakers.
  • The pool of refugees that the UN pre-approves for resettlement amounts to about 2% of all applicants.
  • Preference is given to "vulnerable" applicants: children, seniors, single mothers, etc.
  • Those to be sent to Canada then undergo separate screenings by CSIS, Immigration, and CBSA.

In other words, like I said before, they're not just plucking random people out of the war zone and dropping them in Canada. They've ALREADY BEEN going through the process, long before this whole thing hit the fan.

And if you think a whole 25,000 people going through all that to get here, are still a threat, consider that:
  • Canada allows in 250,000 temporary foreign workers per year
  • Canada allows in 250,000 regular immigrants per year
  • Hundreds of thousands of just regular visitors come and go every year
All of these can get in with FAR less screening. Remember that the Paris attackers were all EU citizens, mostly French and Belgian, both countries with good ties with Canada, and visitors from those countries don't even need a visa to come here - nothing more than a passport is required.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #200
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Record numbers of people are applying to join the French army up in the wake of the Paris attacks, Le Monde reports.
The number of applications has risen to 1,500 per day, up from 500 per day before the attacks.
President Hollande had already decided to halt cuts in army personnel following January's attacks on the Charlie Hebdo magazine and a Jewish supermarket and the army will have recruited 15,000 people in 2015, up from 10,000 the previous year, and is set to recruit 16,000 people next year.
Paris attacks: Latest updates - BBC News

French people joining in masses trying to get into the army after an attack.

After the bombing in Raqqa, I wonder if the same thing is happening over there...
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote