REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Electric and Hybrid Car Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706431-electric-hybrid-car-thread.html)

Gumby 07-14-2023 12:13 PM

Hope the rear wiper makes it into regular 2024 Ioniq 5 models! Still patiently waiting for my allocation almost 1.5 years later…

Eff-1 07-14-2023 12:14 PM

There's a difference between making a car that's in the luxury category, and then whether or not someone perceives a car to be luxurious or not.

Remember those BMW 3 series from the 2000s? Base models with hubcaps, and dials to operate the HVAC. Still a car that is within the luxury category, but without those premium options, didn't feel luxurious at all.

Traditionally, luxury car means newest technology, more comfort, and higher price point.

Tesla is for sure 2 of 3 (technology and price). Comfort might be debatable. Some might say yes and some say no. I'd guess most would say yes to that too.

At that price, you're competing directly with BMW, MB, Lexus, Volvo...

So maybe it's just me but I think 100%, Tesla falls into the luxury category.

But each person will have their own personal preference however as to whether it "feels luxurious" or not.

68style 07-14-2023 12:35 PM

That Ioniq5 N video was pretty exciting to watch and I am enjoying the advent of almost video game like features and technology in some of these applications...

Then I think about how vehicles are bought and sold today and I just get bored again. Good luck to everyone spending 3 years watching influencers on YouTube play with it and waiting for a chance to buy one after handing over a 2020+ trade-in and paying for $25,000 in markups and accessory addons.

Yay.

Hakkaboy 07-14-2023 12:59 PM

wow, quite a video. Is the "active sound" for inside or outside or both?

dark0821 07-14-2023 09:43 PM

^it is both, and there are "8 gears" for the paddle shifters....

275 / 35 / R21 all around though....

600hp regular output with a 641hp overboost...

I wonder if we will get a demo...

yea, highlight for me is the rear wiper LOL....

Hehe 07-14-2023 09:48 PM

Whenever I see these fake engine sound and fake gear shifter in EVs, this is nothing but telling me that some OEMs just don't get it yet.

You don't need sounds to tell you when it's the optimal condition. There's one single gear. You are either accelerating, neutral or braking. There aren't anything that would improve the driving. It's basically factory Rice options.

Look at some performance EVs promo material... Tesla new Roadster, Rimac Nevera or Ford Mach-E 1400. There's none of that garbage.

By adding all those junks, it basically tells me that as a manufacturer, you don't know how to make EVs exciting other than resorting to put some ICE shits to entice your customers who are still on ICEs.
Or that your marketing team still don't get EVs. They should be fired and find another team who truly gets it.

I'd be interested if there's an IONIQ 5 N without all that garbage and at a cheaper price.

underscore 07-14-2023 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 9103937)
That Ioniq5 N video was pretty exciting to watch and I am enjoying the advent of almost video game like features and technology in some of these applications...

Then I think about how vehicles are bought and sold today and I just get bored again. Good luck to everyone spending 3 years watching influencers on YouTube play with it and waiting for a chance to buy one after handing over a 2020+ trade-in and paying for $25,000 in markups and accessory addons.

Yay.

That, and how big it is. I really like the look of the Ioniq 5 when there's no context but irl they're huuuuuge.

beatdownvictim 07-14-2023 10:07 PM

Is the range the same as the ev6gt or even crappier?

TypeRNammer 07-14-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 9103932)

Tesla is for sure 2 of 3 (technology and price). Comfort might be debatable. Some might say yes and some say no. I'd guess most would say yes to that too.

At that price, you're competing directly with BMW, MB, Lexus, Volvo...

So maybe it's just me but I think 100%, Tesla falls into the luxury category.

But each person will have their own personal preference however as to whether it "feels luxurious" or not.

Tesla model 3 owner here

I wouldn't consider Tesla Model 3/Y to be luxurious, but I would classify it more as a premium car than luxury.

But with the refreshed Model 3 around the corner, I believe it will edge closer into the luxury status, but still over all as a more premium car.

Koflach 07-15-2023 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 9103912)
Buys teslas for the luxury of not filling up.

Spends their evening lining up a dozen-plus deep at the superchargers at Richmond center.

The vast majority of Tesla's fill up at home while their owners are sleeping. I know that I do this.

Teriyaki 07-15-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koflach (Post 9103991)
The vast majority of Tesla's fill up at home while their owners are sleeping. I know that I do this.

Yea, with the amount of Tesla model 3's running around in Vancouver alone, the amount of people that are lining up for the superchargers is miniscule.

Hehe 07-15-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 9103992)
Yea, with the amount of Tesla model 3's running around in Vancouver alone, the amount of people that are lining up for the superchargers is miniscule.

I think if you are going EV and can't have a dedicated charge port that you have regular access, it's quite problematic unless you live nearby a fast charger.

But seriously though... EV is really becoming mainstream. There are so many chargers. This is becoming less and less of an issue.

I was at Revelstoke the other day, and the hwy1 exit of the town was filled with fast chargers. You have the Tesla supercharger (now 2 locations in a small town), Chevron has theirs, Shell has theirs, and BC Hydro has theirs at the visitor center and across the street, there's Electrify Canada. Basically within 500m radius, you've got like 6 different DCFC options

tegra7 07-15-2023 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koflach (Post 9103991)

You'll save 5 cents per kw charging between 11pm-7am.

sonick 07-17-2023 09:19 AM

Ford drops CAD price of F150 lighting by $10k across the board.

XLT starts at $69k (was $79k) and Lariat starts at $80k (was $90k)

JDMDreams 07-17-2023 09:45 AM

Did the fix the bricking problem that happened to hoovie yet?:suspicious:

roverT 07-17-2023 09:35 PM

Electric and Hybrid Car Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 9104010)
You'll save 5 cents per kw charging between 11pm-7am.

Wait when did this start? I haven’t come across it on BCHydro. [emoji15]

Edit: BCHydro has made an application for this rate change to happen no earlier than April 1, 2024 if approved. Source: https://www.bchydro.com/about/strate...e-design.html#

GLOW 07-18-2023 07:18 AM

can you plug in your EV when you get home, but program/tell it to only start charging from 11pm onward? or does it charge as soon as you connect?

radeonboy 07-18-2023 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 9104197)
can you plug in your EV when you get home, but program/tell it to only start charging from 11pm onward? or does it charge as soon as you connect?

Most brands let you set scheduled charging through their phone app for this reason.

Hehe 07-18-2023 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 9104197)

Yes, for Tesla at least, both in-car or in-app.

Manic! 07-18-2023 06:59 PM

The Rimac Nevera looks slow in the video but just set the production class record at Goodwood. must be the lack of noise. Saw the car at the Peterson Museum, looks so good.

Hehe 07-19-2023 01:36 PM

Nissan just became the first Japanese automaker to join the NACS bandwagon.

mikemhg 07-19-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 9104334)
Nissan just became the first Japanese automaker to join the NACS bandwagon.

Did your dick get hard?

tegra7 07-19-2023 07:27 PM

Tesla in discussion to license Full Self-Driving software to another automaker. Probably Ford.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/19/2...-driver-assist

bcedhk 07-19-2023 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 9104366)
Tesla in discussion to license Full Self-Driving software to another automaker. Probably Ford.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/19/2...-driver-assist

Welp, looks like we will see on the news soon "self driving Ford F-150 rams into a crowd of pedestrians due to faulty FSD software"

Tesla FSD is good, but it's nowhere ready for 100% reliance.

Hehe 07-19-2023 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcedhk (Post 9104371)
Welp, looks like we will see on the news soon "self driving Ford F-150 rams into a crowd of pedestrians due to faulty FSD software"

Tesla FSD is good, but it's nowhere ready for 100% reliance.

It’s not 100% reliable yet. But tbh, it’s not bad. I use it on a daily basis and it drives me from point A to B every time. The last 2 update is really close to what I call how I’d drive.

I might not be the best driver but I have near 20yrs of driving without an at fault accident, knock on wood. If my Tesla can drive like me, I feel it’s safe enough.

With the news announced today that Tesla is going to allow an one time FSD transfer, I think I’m going to switch car. Now the question is whether I get a Y performance or just go straight for a Plaid.