REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #126
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,751 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
After seening the top gear drag race Musk does a software update to bump HP by 50. Claims the Model S will now beat the Taycan.

https://electrek.co/2019/10/31/tesla...orsche-taycan/
Quite frankly, I don't even understand why Elon cares. It's a car more than double the price... if Porsche were able to best it in something, just congrats them and wreck it the next time around and mock them that they still have all the other areas to work on.

@MG1
A proud owner of a Tesla Model 3 here too.

The one screen thing is a bit weird at first. But after a day or 2, you'd wonder why the other cars wouldn't do the same. It's like when one first used an iPhone coming from dumb phones... even the best of them, the experience on the iPhone is just so much better. Or maybe you are just too old to get used to the touchscreen gen.

The most frequent used functions are still all there at the bottom of the screen as shortcuts. And for all the other stuff that you only use it once every decade (I swear there are buttons on my previous cars that I've never used them), why have a dedicated button/switch for it?
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #127
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
if not hybrid just buy the rolla hatch...same car but cheaper interior/less NVH dampening
The overall styling of the hybrid Corolla is so depressing. Just looks bulbous with comically small wheels.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #128
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
The overall styling of the hybrid Corolla is so depressing. Just looks bulbous with comically small wheels.
Take the wheel covers off, and it's the same alloy wheel from the Prius. Subjectively speaking, it looks better.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:22 AM   #129
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I'm curious as to why Top Gear wouldn't use launch control or ludicrous mode on the Tesla. They used launch control on the Porsche. Also, the S has a rated 0-60 of 2.4 seconds that has been confirmed many times in the real world so i'm unsure as to why they weren't able to replicate it in this test.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #130

Old 11-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #131
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Quite frankly, I don't even understand why Elon cares.
He lacks the ability to handle any minor slight to his ego. I'm surprised he isn't trying to sue someone or call them a pedophile over it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #132
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Quite frankly, I don't even understand why Elon cares. It's a car more than double the price... if Porsche were able to best it in something, just congrats them and wreck it the next time around and mock them that they still have all the other areas to work on.

@MG1
A proud owner of a Tesla Model 3 here too.

The one screen thing is a bit weird at first. But after a day or 2, you'd wonder why the other cars wouldn't do the same. It's like when one first used an iPhone coming from dumb phones... even the best of them, the experience on the iPhone is just so much better. Or maybe you are just too old to get used to the touchscreen gen.

The most frequent used functions are still all there at the bottom of the screen as shortcuts. And for all the other stuff that you only use it once every decade (I swear there are buttons on my previous cars that I've never used them), why have a dedicated button/switch for it?
i'd have to disagree with the one big touchscreen being better. i'm also a proud model 3 owner, but i would kill for a separate wiper stalk (even if the auto wipers were better, having quick access to them is so much easier)

long pressing the climate control to turn off and on is also annoying -- if you go over a bump your finger travels across the screen, and you have to look to see where to place your finger, and start over again. there's something to be said about a tactile feel for certain functions.

for the most part, its good, but it's not quite there yet for me to say that every car should be doing the same thing.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #133

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Tesla is unveiling it's truck Nov 21. This is going to be big for Tesla and the automotive industry in general.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #134

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

Rivian R1T truck spotted on the island all the way in Ucluelet. I wonder how it got here.

https://www.teslaincanada.ca/news/ri...udll8YRvSxaHKA
Old 11-29-2019, 12:44 PM   #135
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
For those who own an ev can you tell me more about how you charge it? At public stations? What does it cost? Or at home? And do you guys know how much roughly it costs in electricity? Do we have peak vs none peak hours? I will be having roughly a 80 km round trip commute for work and I'm seeing if it's worth the cost to go ev to get the hov sticker. Or get a sub compact vs hybrid vs diesel.

Thanks!
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #136
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
For those who own an ev can you tell me more about how you charge it? At public stations? What does it cost? Or at home? And do you guys know how much roughly it costs in electricity? Do we have peak vs none peak hours? I will be having roughly a 80 km round trip commute for work and I'm seeing if it's worth the cost to go ev to get the hov sticker. Or get a sub compact vs hybrid vs diesel.

Thanks!
Public charging depends on which charger you use.
For example, the fast charger at Superstore Metrotown charges per min.
The lvl 2 chargers at Metro are free.

The DCFC at the Coquitlam, Poco, and Vancouver Superstore are free but very busy.

I forgot what my cost was charging at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #137

My suggestion is to download a couple of the charging apps.
I suggest Plugshare which shows most of the chargers in Vancouver.
Chargepoint, FLO, and Greenslots.
Most of Vancouvers chargers are either chargepoint or FLO and BC Hydro teamed up with Greenslots.

Take a look and see if there are any chargers close to where you live, where you work, and where you frequent the most.

To some ppl, it doesn't make sense to sit and wait for your car to charge. For me, I shop at superstore so if I get a free charge, it's no time wasted on my part.

I usually just plug in my car to the 120V outlet overnight and that gets me 30% charge on my 2018 leaf.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 11-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #138
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
We don't have peak vs non-peak hour rates with BC Hydro, but we do have a 2-tier pricing structure where you're charged the Step 1 rate for electricity up to a certain threshold in each billing period, and a higher Step 2 rate for all electricity use beyond that threshold.

For charging at home, you'll need to look into a bunch of additional things as well -- like how much current your home is drawing from the city, how big a current does your fuse panel support, the costs of installing a 220V line and outlet. etc. And if you use electric baseboard heating at home, that would dramatically affect your costs in the winter as well since you will almost certainly be going on the Step 2 price structure.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:01 PM   #139

^^ thanks, I'll look into the apps to see where the chargers are, I don't think I will sit around and wait for the car to charge on a daily commute unless I'm out to shop on the weekends
Old 11-30-2019, 08:41 AM   #140

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a Tesla and charge at home. I drive anywhere from 60-150km per day for work and just plug in when I need to at home. Over the last year i've only had to charge at a tesla charger about 5 times so if you have the ability to get a home charger installed, you will be just fine going that route.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #141

Forget cars Harbour Air to test its first electric plane Dec 11.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6236692/h...aircraft-test/

Quote:
A B.C. seaplane carrier is set to make history next month, as it tests the world’s first fully-electric commercial aircraft.

Harbour Air will test the seaplane, a De Havilland Beaver retrofitted with a magniX electric motor, on Wednesday, Dec. 11 — subject to weather.

And the company’s founder and CEO will be at the stick for the historic flight.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #142

I will be able to charge at home but I want to know what the cost will be. I'm surprised bc hydro website doesn't seem to have a calculator for this but random appliances.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #143

Quote:
I will be able to charge at home but I want to know what the cost will be. I'm surprised bc hydro website doesn't seem to have a calculator for this but random appliances.
my neighbour wired it up for $100 (yes, he is an electrician). I think our bill went up about $40-$50/month.
Old 11-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #144
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I have a 2019 Tesla model 3 performance model and assuming Level 2 BC Hydro electricity charge at 14 cents per kilowatt it costs me about 2.4 cents electricity per km driven in my model 3 or less than 20% of the gas cost to drive our 2017 Acura RDX.
spacemanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:10 PM   #145

The math I used to trade in our mini:

It was doing about 25k km per year and averages 7.4L/100km and at a very conservative $1.5/L (this thing needed premium), I was paying 2775 in gas per year. Then plus all the maintenance and whatnot which I estimate at again conservative $600 per year over 10yr ownership. So 3375 per year.

With the model 3, I think 170wh/km is a good figure (again, I've done a lot lower, but just to be conservative), so 4250kwh per year and at 14cents, that's 595, add another 20% for lost efficiency. Plus it requires much less maintenance, say 150/yr (if that) average over same 10yr ownership, my yearly is ~850. Even if I bump up the maintenance cost somehow... it's still about a 1/3 of what I was spending on the Mini.

That's when I decided... fuck it... I'm buying the Model3. And not even in a bad way of "fuck it"... couldn't be happier about the decision.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:47 AM   #146
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
I never do the math, I just bought it, but me a performance model...lol
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #147

Just wanted to share my experience with my MY18 Leaf.
When I first picked up the car, Aug 18, the car would show 265 km range when fully charged with the eco tires.
This summer, I switched over the Bridgestone RE71R tires and the range dropped to around 254 kms with them pumped up to 45 PSI's.
Now, as the temps have dropped, and I have been using the heat more, the range dropped to 233 and 217 with the heater on.
This morning, the range showed 223 and 201 with the heat on and the tires have dropped to 42 PSI hot.
I'll be switching over to snow tires tonight, can't wait to see what my range looks like after a few days of driving on the snow tires.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 12-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Just wanted to share my experience with my MY18 Leaf.
When I first picked up the car, Aug 18, the car would show 265 km range when fully charged with the eco tires.
This summer, I switched over the Bridgestone RE71R tires and the range dropped to around 254 kms with them pumped up to 45 PSI's.
Now, as the temps have dropped, and I have been using the heat more, the range dropped to 233 and 217 with the heater on.
This morning, the range showed 223 and 201 with the heat on and the tires have dropped to 42 PSI hot.
I'll be switching over to snow tires tonight, can't wait to see what my range looks like after a few days of driving on the snow tires.
If anything, the range is going to drop further because snows are stickier than regular tires.

One recommendation to optimize range in cold weather is try to keep it warm as in leaving the car indoor/covered as much as you possibly can. The constant heating the car up takes huge amount of energy. By keeping the car in a covered parking, even if it only brings a few degrees of difference, it saves tons of power heating the car up again.

Alternatively, try to make more efficient trips... so, try to not go a place, stop the car for a while, go another, leave the car for a while again. Because you are constantly leaving the car to cool and make it to warm up again. Instead, go to a single place where you can get many things done there.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #149
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I noticed this on my 2020 Corolla Hybrid. When I first picked up the vehicle in May 2019, I was consistently getting 4.2L/100km , which equates to 1000 km range.

Now that the temperature has dropped, and it takes longer to warm up the engine, I've seen my MPG change to 5.5L / 100km, which equates to 850km range.

Drastic change I'd say.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #150
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Me and the wife are heavily considering a Tesla 3 over the next couple months. I can say for sure that our next vehicle will be an electric. I gotta figure out the strata stuff with the charging station etc.

I want to take advantage of all the incentives offered right now too.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote