REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #76
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
Just picked up a Rav4 Hybrid the other day. Considering it shares a platform with the Camry, it's surprisingly nimble for an SUV. With my commute between Surrey and Langley, I'm pulling in 5.7L/100km, so I'm looking forward to getting some real drives in to test the range.

Being that it's $1400 difference between a gas and a hybrid, the break-even is insanely short.
Nice choice! I was on a budget when I picked up the Corolla Hybrid, and if I had a little more room to play with, I would definitely consider the Rav 4 Hybrid or Camry Hybrid.

Right now, I'm racking in 4.2L/100km in all city Richmond driving, and a full tank of gas equates to 1050 km of range until empty.
Advertisement
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 PM   #77
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas29 View Post
If you go on the Tesla website they have a chart that shows you how many Km's you can drive after charging for an hour at different amps

So 30 amp breaker, max output would be 24amps , 5.7kW and 35 kilometers of range every hour (kph)
Ah........... "I see!" said the blind man.

Then perhaps the good folks over at Tesla, in their infinite wisdom, can come up with something better, so as not to confuse those who are not in the know.......

Perhaps KRPH - - - Kilometre Range Per Hour.

Or some other abbreviation. Better yet, an acronym of some kind. They are so crafty, after all...............

Edit: I know......... KORPH and MORPH - - Miles Of Range Per Hour............ tee hee
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 07-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #78
I'm invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Chow View Post
Nice choice! I was on a budget when I picked up the Corolla Hybrid, and if I had a little more room to play with, I would definitely consider the Rav 4 Hybrid or Camry Hybrid.

Right now, I'm racking in 4.2L/100km in all city Richmond driving, and a full tank of gas equates to 1050 km of range until empty.
My mom is also getting great fuel economy on her 19 RAV4 hybrid.. her car shows 5.9l and she has about 1600 Km and it’s mostly local driving and crossing Knight street bridge.

My dad also downsized from his Lexus RX350 down to a Corolla hyrbid too recently and it’s a big change from his v6.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 PM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Not being picky, but you guys referring to kWh?

As in kilowatt per hour. KPH, I think stands for kilometres per hour, a measure of speed.

Just Saiyan..............

carry on carrying on.
When a tesla is charging it shows you how many kilometers you are adding to the car per hour so yeah, KPH is applicable.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #80
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
When a tesla is charging it shows you how many kilometers you are adding to the car per hour so yeah, KPH is applicable.
https://www.revscene.net/forums/7064...ml#post8952830

This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #81
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Chow View Post

With the current climate in Vancouver for modified cars, and my legs failing from old sports injuries, I've moved on from driving a heatscore as a daily. I can probably do something more low key with a Rav and not stick out.

Have you given Entune a try yet? It seems to be serviceable until AA gets added on top of ACP.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #82
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
went to take a look at the new rav4 hybrid and liked how it drove and looked inside and out.
just put down a deposit on a rav4 hybrid. didn't know the wait for one was 5-6months. was lucky enough for the dealership to have a shipment of limited trim coming in with the color i wanted so wait now is about 2 months wait.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #83
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneringArtist View Post
With the current climate in Vancouver for modified cars, and my legs failing from old sports injuries, I've moved on from driving a heatscore as a daily. I can probably do something more low key with a Rav and not stick out.

Have you given Entune a try yet? It seems to be serviceable until AA gets added on top of ACP.
Personally, I haven't touched Entune yet. The Corolla hybrid doesn't come with embedded navigation (not even top trim), and I've been using google maps with Bluetooth most of the time.

Although, I should try out the Entune scout GPS link...
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #84

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Pretty new to the electric car game, been thinking of adding a second vehicle to my fleet.

Currently I ride an e-bike to work, but since winter is coming up, I been thinking of getting a used Nissan Leaf, my commute to work is 5.1KM each way, so range anxiety wont be a concern, even in the few super cold days in the year.

Now I been looking at the 2012/2013 Nissan leafs (abt 70k to 80k on the odo) because they are hovering right around 10k mark. I know for most of them the battery warranty is about to expire, but realistically, is there anything I should really be worried about? Or watch out for?

I am looking to keep the car for the next 5 to 6 years, most likely putting less than 50k km in total.

What do you guys think?

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #85
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
Pretty new to the electric car game, been thinking of adding a second vehicle to my fleet.

Currently I ride an e-bike to work, but since winter is coming up, I been thinking of getting a used Nissan Leaf, my commute to work is 5.1KM each way, so range anxiety wont be a concern, even in the few super cold days in the year.

Now I been looking at the 2012/2013 Nissan leafs (abt 70k to 80k on the odo) because they are hovering right around 10k mark. I know for most of them the battery warranty is about to expire, but realistically, is there anything I should really be worried about? Or watch out for?

I am looking to keep the car for the next 5 to 6 years, most likely putting less than 50k km in total.

What do you guys think?
Where do you think you will be charging teh car?
I own an 18, so not sure what there is to look out for in a 12/13 but a place to charge it is very important thing to think about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #86
MG1

The older models suffer from battery degradation, big time.

Range and time it takes to charge changes so much. Good news is, Nissan has a battery upgrade programme. Not sure if it applies to your Leaf's year.

You definitely need a Level 2 charger at home. It requires 240 volt. Unless you don't mind plugging 110 V and waiting hours on end to have it charg super slow. If your Leaf has Level 3 (DC Fast Charge), then I guess you'll be spending time at the Superstores around the city. Damn, more EV's to compete with, gulolol.

If you do decide to go electric and you've really thought long and hard about it, at least ten times............ then get the Plug Share app and a few cards. You will need them at the charging stations. You can use the apps from your phone to activate the chargers, but there are times you have poor to no cell service. Cards are the best way to go. Much faster. I have most of them. ChargePoint, Flo, BC Hydro, and Greenlots. They cost ten bucks or so each, but worth it. Superstore chargers are free, for the most part, and don't require a card. A few do, however. I've been at this game for nearly five years. You really need to think about this. It is not for everybody. Did I mention you really, really need to think about this................

Last edited by MG1; 08-30-2019 at 10:11 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 AM   #87
MG1

I feel like such a pioneer........... bought my first EV back in 2014. Very little to no charging stations like now. Range anxiety.......... nearly killed me. That's no longer the case. I'm looking at going with a Niro or a Kona full elective. The Soul EV that's coming out looks promising. I keep running into this guy who drives a Jaguar all elective. Damn, that thing is sexy as all hell. All we need is IG in the photoshoot, gulolol.

Last edited by MG1; 09-06-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #88
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/say...f-the-honda-e/

Here's the production version of the Honda E, it kept the camera side mirrors.

Once again, not coming to the North American market
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #89
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
^ major bummer.. I want one so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #90
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
$45k for a civic? only type r owners fall for that range is sad too

it does look super fun though...rwd + crazy tight turning radius
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #91
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Elon wants to race Porsche on the ring.

https://thedriven.io/2019/09/06/elon...t-nurburgring/
Old 09-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #92
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

How about a Nismo Leaf?

https://global.nissannews.com/en/rel...nng&lang=en-US

Old 09-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #93

reminds me of prius super GT

Old 09-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #94
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts

Maybe get Toyota to join the fun? This is what EV cars need.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #95

will try the other thread
Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #96
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
I was talking to a colleague about using his Model 3 to go see a client in Langley (cause I don't wanna drive in rush hour and auto pilot would be cool). He declined cause he has to make sure he has enough charge.

Apparently all stratas in Richmond don't allow for electric car charging. Anyone else that lives with strata, have an issue with this?
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #97
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
^^ I would like to know too, where are you guys charging or if you have to fight for chargers? If I live in a condo can I just plug it into the outlet next too my spot?
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
^^ I would like to know too, where are you guys charging or if you have to fight for chargers? If I live in a condo can I just plug it into the outlet next too my spot?
Technically, yes you can. However, it will charge at a very slow rate.

I charge at home 95% of the time and the few times I haven't I didn't have to wait to charge.

I have seen someone park their Chevy Volt at the free charger at a community centre in Langley and get driven away by someone else so their car can charge for free.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:07 PM   #99
MG1

There's really no need to fight for chargers if you work smart. If you bought an EV and cannot find charging, then you didn't think it through before buying one. I said this many times. Think about it before you decide. Think, think, think, then think some more. EV's are not for everyone. I own a house and installed a level 2 (240V) charger in the garage. I get a full charge from zero to 100% in 4 to 5 hours. On level 1 (110 volt), it takes 11 hours. On level 3 (DC Fast Charge 440 volt), I charge to 80% from zero in 25 to 30 minutes. I've never gone down to zero, so it usually take 15 to 20 minutes. You cannot have a level 3 charger in a residential or even a condo. It is very, very expensive, plus way too much voltage. A decent plug-in, level 2 charger can be had for $365.00 US. You just need a 240 dryer or stove outlet nearby. Most chargers that are plug-in type, come with a 25ft cord. Ideally, a hard wired charger is the best choice, but not necessary.

New condos in certain municipalities, by law, have to have level 2 chargers installed somewhere on the property, but if you live in an older one, you are shit out of luck. Most strata councils frown upon any kind of charging, even 110. Everything from being worried about cost to cause of fire. Even if there's proof it'll increase property value and appeal. Chargers and having to manage them in a fair manner is a more complicated matter than most are willing to spend their time on.

My son has an older EV that does not have a level 3 connector. He is stuck with level 2 or level 1. No problem when he used to live at home. He moved out and into a condo not that long ago. There's no charging allowed in the condo. Not even for electric bikes. Anyhow, there's no charger where he works, either. He is hooped as it takes five hours to charge the darn thing when he's down in three or so days. Solution? He comes home to charge. My EV has a level 3 connection, so when I'm in a good mood, I go charge the EV at one of the DC Fast Chargers and swap cars with him at his workplace. I drop mine off and take his back home. By the time he's finished work, his car is fully charged. On top of that, good ol' dad, makes him dinner. Why do I do this? I have an ulterior motive. IF he didn't need the charge, i would never see number one son. Like ever. Well, unless it's Xmas or a family BBQ. So this is a blessing for me.

In a nutshell, if you don't have a house or live in a condo with no charging allowed, don't get an electric car. If you're retired like me, then it is very doable. Charging stations are empty during the day, as most people are at work. There are plenty of free level 3 chargers out there, but they're busy, busy, busy in the afternoon and evenings. Line ups of three to four cars. More on this later.................

Last edited by MG1; 09-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2019, 08:14 PM   #100
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
Technically, yes you can. However, it will charge at a very slow rate.

I charge at home 95% of the time and the few times I haven't I didn't have to wait to charge.

I have seen someone park their Chevy Volt at the free charger at a community centre in Langley and get driven away by someone else so their car can charge for free.
Yeah, happens at Grand Villa all the fucking time. There's this one Tesla bitch who gets picked up at night by his buddy and gets dropped off in the morning. His EV is charged overnight. Then there's this C-Lai who works up the street from Grand Villa. She parks and walks up the street to her workplace. She did this for months, until I reported her. Another freaking dumb thing is, the casino has a free shuttle service to and from the casino and Metrotown and Brentwood. Guess what, these assholes charge their car at Grand Villa while they shop at Brentwood or Metrotown. I don't bother charging there anymore, but there are people who really need to charge. Like out of towners. It's not fair. None of the cars charging there are doing it legit. Parq Casino does it right. If you don't gamble there, you don't get to charge or park in their lot for free. I do, so free charge works. Well, sometimes it costs me way more, lol.

Teslas take forever to charge on level 2. Anyway, I have my secret charging locations/stations. I'm doing fine.

Oh, I have gas cars, too............

Last edited by MG1; 09-14-2019 at 09:30 PM.
This post thanked by: