REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:45 PM   #101
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Saw this on RFD today. Seems like a good deal since this is pretty much what I pay for Internet 30 outside of the promo period. I think this is what guurl is referring to?

I may look into this since it'll be a huge jump in speed for not a whole lot of additional cost.

Upgrade To Shaw WideOpen Internet | 150 Mbps Speeds, High Speed Internet + 1TB Data
looks like the plan is good for the first year i save 15 dollars per month then after words i have to pay way more. I guess i'll stick with my old 50mpbs + personal tv for $131/month since the broadband 50 is good enough for me.
Advertisement
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #102
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

After using shaw for 11 years I switched to Telus at my new place
Wish I did this sooner. It's about the same price shaw and Telus but customer experience so far is much better, handling your online account is like night and day difference and how your tv box functions is way smother. The options on your cable box how you can customize everything it's like i have gone into the future with Telus.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #103
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Thinking of switching Telus. i live around the BCIT around just wondering if anyone living there can tell me if the their service is good in that area?
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #104
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

telus is better. i dont have to worry about lag at 5pm when everyone is home slowing down the internet.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #105
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Get both services in your house to overlap so you can compare apples with apples. Go with the one that is quickest (obviously).

These days your own router can be a bottleneck too, especially if you run a VPN. Even an i3 that is 3-4 years old will outrun most routers. I repurpose some old servers retired from work (no fans of course). Laptops with ExpressCard slots can do that same job too. I use PfSense, but Sophos makes a free one that also include their Virus scanning software built in. Which is useful especially if you get guests who bring in devices that are rooted with apps side loaded and god knows what had been done with them.

Numbers don?t lie?it?s time to build your own router | Ars Technica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Thinking of switching Telus. i live around the BCIT around just wondering if anyone living there can tell me if the their service is good in that area?

Last edited by godwin; 07-16-2016 at 02:53 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 AM   #106
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
looks like the plan is good for the first year i save 15 dollars per month then after words i have to pay way more. I guess i'll stick with my old 50mpbs + personal tv for $131/month since the broadband 50 is good enough for me.
Actually anyone on Broadband 50+/Internet 60+ would save money by switching to this new plan. With the rate increase coming this August, you can shave a few bucks off. I work at Shaw, but I'm not a phone rep.
noTirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #107
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noTirl View Post
Actually anyone on Broadband 50+/Internet 60+ would save money by switching to this new plan. With the rate increase coming this August, you can shave a few bucks off. I work at Shaw, but I'm not a phone rep.
Is this available for current shaw clients? I'm currently being charged $60 for popular TV & $88 for Broadband $50 this looks like it would save me money.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Is this available for current shaw clients? I'm currently being charged $60 for popular TV & $88 for Broadband $50 this looks like it would save me money.
Yep, current customers can get on it too. 79.90 year 1 and 2 for current customers. You can pick internet or internet+tv contract. Be specific when you do cause they might sign you up for both incase you only wanted the internet contract.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #109
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Just phoned into Telus Retention to try to match it. Rep stated that Shaw offering 150 could be a pipe dream as the fine details do state "up to 150mbps".

Got offered Telus 50 w/ Optik 4K box ($45 a month) for a year.

All in, Optik TV, internet, and home phone for 100+ tax isnt bad. After a year it does go up to regular pricing but its still cheaper than what were paying now for Telus 25 bundle which is around $190 a month.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #110
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
Just phoned into Telus Retention to try to match it. Rep stated that Shaw offering 150 could be a pipe dream as the fine details do state "up to 150mbps".
That's a pretty bold statement for them to make. I'm on Internet30 right now and I can consistently get 4MB/s (which is 32Mb/s) on Shaw. Telus likes to throw out the node over saturation as a downside, but I have to admit, they've made huge strides from when I was last with Shaw 5 years ago and my Internet was pretty much unusable in the evenings.

There's other aspects of Shaw that bug me though - which is why I'm waiting for Telus Fibre to make it's appearance in my area in August before I decide to jump on the Internet150 bandwagon and lock myself in to a 2 year contract with Shaw.
syee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #111
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

You can honestly say the same thing with Telus 50mps too. It'll be "Up to 50mbps" but I'd be getting 20-25mbps lol
guurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #112
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
^ I just noticed that on the website too, states 20-50. Man what a terrible range haha
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:55 PM   #113
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

http://imgur.com/61VebNi

LOl at people listening to telus rep
RickyTan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #114
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
We were on Telus for a few years like a year or two ago and their speed was always consistent with what was advertised.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #115
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Moving into the a condo for the first time later this year. Is there usually a "preferred" ISP that each building uses? I emailed the strata agent and he said "Telus should be a good bet" which basically tells me nothing.
I was hoping that the building would be setup with Novus but no dice.
Do I just call any company (Shaw/Telus) and have them come in and hook it up?
I probably won't be getting any TV/Phone package unless there is a super sweet deal.
I only need internet, and not too fussy on cap or speed as I mostly just YouTube and play some games here and there. No hardcore downloading/uploading (maybe 1 movie a month).
I prefer consistency and reliability over high speeds. I don't want to be lagging out mid-game cuz internet craps out.
The building is by Yukon and W. 2nd, what do you guys suggest I do?
TIA
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #116
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Novus if they have it.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #117
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post

Got offered Telus 50 w/ Optik 4K box ($45 a month) for a year.

All in, Optik TV, internet, and home phone for 100+ tax isnt bad. After a year it does go up to regular pricing but its still cheaper than what were paying now for Telus 25 bundle which is around $190 a month.
my internet 150 speedtest:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight604 View Post
Novus if they have it.
+1 for novus
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #118
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Shaw 150 is solid. Telus just doesn't hold a candle right now. Their Fiber offering isnt even available to most people.

I upgraded to Shaw 150 from their 60 plan.

Obsideon i would check with Novus. You can look up bbuildings that have service on their website.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 PM   #119
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
telus is better. i dont have to worry about lag at 5pm when everyone is home slowing down the internet.
WOW...talk about living in the past..time to move on buddy.
Shaws pipeline is way bigger than you think. Offering 150 to everyone isn't hitting anywhere close to saturation nowdays.
The same pipeline will also be used for the next X1 system from Comcast for retreiving your TV contents off cloud.
Jonydakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Moving into the a condo for the first time later this year. Is there usually a "preferred" ISP that each building uses? I emailed the strata agent and he said "Telus should be a good bet" which basically tells me nothing.
I was hoping that the building would be setup with Novus but no dice.
Do I just call any company (Shaw/Telus) and have them come in and hook it up?
I probably won't be getting any TV/Phone package unless there is a super sweet deal.
I only need internet, and not too fussy on cap or speed as I mostly just YouTube and play some games here and there. No hardcore downloading/uploading (maybe 1 movie a month).
I prefer consistency and reliability over high speeds. I don't want to be lagging out mid-game cuz internet craps out.
The building is by Yukon and W. 2nd, what do you guys suggest I do?
TIA
I've used both in the last 2 years and they're pretty much the same from an end users point. This may be cause of the neighborhood I'm in but not much congestion between the two. When I did have problems they were both able to get an appointment within the week. Had my modems swapped a few times just cause I wanted the newest ones.

I do work at Shaw now which is why I've used both. I know ours has a slightly higher ping than Telus sometimes, but its within single digit difference. If you need more info on what Shaw has let me know.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #121
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Already checked, no Novus in my building
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #122
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
thanks for the info! switched to shaw 150 for 79$ awesome deal!

2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #123
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Also switched.

Are you guys bridging through your own router or directly into the modem?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #124
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Using shaws hitron modem only
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #125
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts

Bridged the modem and today's speed is much better.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote