REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #351
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Just wanted to get some thoughts.

Currently on Telus PureFibre (paying $95 a month), but moving in our new place that doesn't have Telus fibre available. So they best they said they could offer was:
150 download speed/30 mbps upload.

Would deduct off $20 a month, to $75 a month for the remaining year on the contract as I'm loosing the fibre.

Shaw's option would be the Internet 600 with Blue Curve, which would be $55 for the first 6 months, and then $95 for the next 18.

First question is can I cancel Telus if i were to switch because I'm loosing the service i currently get, and not have to pay out a portion of the contract?

Secondly, going down to Telus 150, compared to Shaw 600 seems like a no brainer, but I really just exclusively stream apple tv and Netflix (no gaming), so wasn't sure if its that necessary or if i can still get away with the Telus 150.
Advertisement
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #352
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
For high speed 150 on TELUS you’re going to be using a bonded connection (two separate phone lines) which, imo isn’t ideal nor does it work as effectively as Shaw’s coax connections I’d say

For your speed question I’d say 150 is already overkill for you. In most cases people are simply getting speeds for the sake of getting the faster speed. 150 is far more than adequate for most. The thing that the big speeds give you is overhead.

A weak signal at the far end of your house on high speed 600 is going to be much faster than a weak signal on high speed 50.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #353
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
For high speed 150 on TELUS you’re going to be using a bonded connection (two separate phone lines) which, imo isn’t ideal nor does it work as effectively as Shaw’s coax connections I’d say

For your speed question I’d say 150 is already overkill for you. In most cases people are simply getting speeds for the sake of getting the faster speed. 150 is far more than adequate for most. The thing that the big speeds give you is overhead.

A weak signal at the far end of your house on high speed 600 is going to be much faster than a weak signal on high speed 50.
I disagree. Having 1Gb service I can download a movie in under a min.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
I disagree. Having 1Gb service I can download a movie in under a min.
One minute or 5, does it really matter?

Also the vast majority of sites, gaming services, etc throttle back their downstream bandwidth. You will -never- get gb speeds through things like steam, origin, etc.

Even with YouTube I highly doubt they allow even 100mb/s speeds for their buffering

Edit* also the vast majority of devices do not have Wi-Fi adapters capable of gigabit speeds. So if you primarily use Wi-Fi devices anything over 750 is usually a waste because even brand new iPads, iPhones, etc cannot do gigabit speeds
Old 04-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #355
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,141 Times in 385 Posts
Is the Pik Tv live or is it all streaming past and current shows? Talked very briefly to a guy at Telus today. Looks like my condo is wired for Telus fiber. Online promo I was looking at is Telus 150 for $75 and pik tv free for the first 3 months 5 subscriptions then $5 a month there after. Guy also said they could sweeten it a bit with some billing credits.

First time signing up for internet/cable so hopefully making a reasonable choice.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #356

Pik has the essentials of the “live” tv included then you add additional channels for a cost

It’s a lot like the regular Optik however it’s really only meant for having a single Tv in the home. And then the on demand content etc.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #357
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:

Also the vast majority of sites, gaming services, etc throttle back their downstream bandwidth. You will -never- get gb speeds through things like steam, origin, etc.

Even with YouTube I highly doubt they allow even 100mb/s speeds for their buffering

Edit* also the vast majority of devices do not have Wi-Fi adapters capable of gigabit speeds. So if you primarily use Wi-Fi devices anything over 750 is usually a waste because even brand new iPads, iPhones, etc cannot do gigabit speeds
"but i can do the quarter mile 0.5 seconds faster"

haha... we should go over to VIC forum and tell them they dont need 300HP in their car, cuz they're never gonna go 200km/h anyways

... 0.5 faster, 0.2 faster... same same but different? shrug

yeah... i have 150... im thinking of TRYING 300 to see if it even makes a difference.. i mean of course it'll make a difference. but will it make a difference in my LIFE. most of the time things are downloading and i go do something else, and when i come back it was done for a while.

will it lower my ping even more in PUBG so i don't suck? haha... from 60ms to 30ms.. that might make me a superior player right? RIGHT?!?!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #358
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Can Pik TV promo be combined with the student discounted internet price?
I have just 1 TV and have Optik TV with a bunch of theme packs but don't watch anything but live sports.
I pay about $110 a month. Would adding TSN/Sportsnet to the pik TV be a better deal?
raysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #359
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

My PC is wired to the router so having 1Gb does work out. I do download from time to time and I don't really have to wait...... or having several things downloading at the same time. WiFi don't really card much since I only use my ipad from time to time and cell phone is mostly for what's app/we chat.

Do I need 1Gb. Not really but is free so why not use it.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #360

Yea well most people pay for their service and the added $15-$30 a month for the extra speed you’re not using adds up over a 2 year term.

I find also that with fiber, you’re overhead generally makes up for multi-device use. Ie. If somone or multiple people are using their phone, computers, iPads etc. if you were to run a hardwired speed test you still get your full download speed while other devices are currently using the bandwidth as well. So it’s not really a problem of multiple devices running at once when you’re at the 150/300 levels.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #361
I STILL don't get it

Finally got Telus Fiber installed in my area but missed the boat when there were deals in late March.

Any deals lately?
bakasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #362
I keep RS good

ah fuck, spoke too soon. instead of 300, i got 750/750. i can change my mind within 30 days if i want.

i got it for 75 bux a month 2 year term.

i might switch to 300 for 65, or even stick with 150 for 55... lol

so far not really noticing any difference at all. my torrents still never hit max speeds, ever. but yes i can download a lot more stuff at the same time without speed drops. and my after VPN speeds are still 500/300ish.

maybe worth it??? maybe?
Old 08-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #363

Some current inside promos going on for Telus:

1. Student offer - Students with valid post-secondary ID can save $30 /mo on Internet 6 - 750, for 12 mo. (Example: Customer signs up for HS 75 for 55$/month, no contract)

2. If the customer re-contracts, they automatically get unlimited data. This is stackable with the 10$/month off when the customer re-contracts. This would be especially useful in cases where the customer is already paying 15$/month on unlimited data

3. HSIA: Save $35 on all Internet tiers (excluding Gigabit)/Optik TV: Save $20/mo for 24 months on 4 Theme Packs
• Must sign on for two years

As always theres no commitment if i shoot off a referral for anyone interested, at worst you could use the pricing as leverage with Shaw or future deals
Old 08-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #364

Last day for this promo, essentially $35 off a month for the full 2 years on any internet package.

If anyone interested hit me up and you can still get it to the end of the day today. For RS members that sign up through me i'll E-transfer any "commission" i get back to you if you sign up through me.

honestly i dont give a fuck about the measely commision, i just need statistics to move up in the ranks lol.. so if you sign up for TV/Internet etc. you could get another 60-80 back from me on top of the promo pricing.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #365
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
^Gonna hit you up when I renew my contract in a few months.

Been having shitty customer service from billings department since I started my 2 year agreement. Literally every month is a different billing amount.....I thought on contract it should be the same amount you pay throughout (at least more or less the same).

So tired of calling them every month. The product service delivery is excellent, just billing sucks...
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #366
I keep RS good

after several months, i can confidently say i do not notice any diff from 150/150 to 750/750.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #367
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Im currently rocking the 750 for $60 w/ unlimited data...

Can that get any lower bundling with TV or home security? The wife and I have been humming and hawing about possible getting one of those.
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_Devil View Post
Im currently rocking the 750 for $60 w/ unlimited data...

Can that get any lower bundling with TV or home security? The wife and I have been humming and hawing about possible getting one of those.
Doubt you’ll get any cheaper than that. However by bundling either or both of those services may be significantly cheaper.

Ie. Generally home security can be $18 for the basic protect package with 2 services.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 AM   #369

Free theme pack for 3 months for anyone with TV regardless of package

As usual it’s on you to remember to cancel it, however if you just set a reminder in your phone pretty easy to login and cancel it. Hit me up I can add them to your account t
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #370
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I hopped on a Shaw deal a few months ago:

40/month for Internet 300 with the latest xb6 modem. I thought that was a pretty good deal. contract for 2 years but i don't see myself not needing internet in the foreseeable future so 2 years was okay for me.

I'll likely call in at the end of my term hoping they will honor the continuation of 40/mo and not increase it otherwise I will shop elsewhere.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #371
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
Our new condo has released a TELUS promo for new owners. Sign up for Internet 25, Optik TV Essentials, and Home Phone Lite on a 2 year service agreement and get the first year for $0. We have no need for the home phone.

We are current Shaw customers without a contract receiving Internet 15 and nearly all the TV channels (except for HBO) because I'm still on a very old package from 10 years ago ($170/mo) that is no longer offered. It costs me $180/mo after taxes.

Thoughts?
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #372
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
2yr NHO is HS300, Essentials, HP lite. Free first year. Second year you can change it to whatever suits you.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #373
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
a bit out of the loop here... how do i get on this 750/$60 train?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #374
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Our new condo has released a TELUS promo for new owners. Sign up for Internet 25, Optik TV Essentials, and Home Phone Lite on a 2 year service agreement and get the first year for $0. We have no need for the home phone.

We are current Shaw customers without a contract receiving Internet 15 and nearly all the TV channels (except for HBO) because I'm still on a very old package from 10 years ago ($170/mo) that is no longer offered. It costs me $180/mo after taxes.

Thoughts?
Figure out what you and your family still watch, and call Shaw and ask to speak to the Loyalty Care Team. Also figure out what your internet needs are. I thought everyone got upgraded to at least internet 20 a while ago when they took out 15. If you lock in to a 2 year contract they'll be able to give you better prices.
'06 BMW 330i [RIP]

'02 BMW M3
'99 Honda Civic SIR [sold]
'19 Civic Type R[sold]
'22 MINI Cooper SE
My Photojournal: simplexcars
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #375
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
a bit out of the loop here... how do i get on this 750/$60 train?
Call them and see what they can offer you. If you don't like what they offer, call again next day and keep doing it until you get something you like. Actually this is what my friend did lol. He had a few days off from work, literally called Telus everyday trying to get this deal and every day a different agent would offer him a different deal. I guess this is if you have too much free time on hand haha.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote