REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #326
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i'm not a power user, but 4GB on Android is non-issue for the great majority

you wanting to switch to Apple underscores the amount of memory is not the issue

I've only had issues with earlier Nexus where the runtime was crap or the storage degrades drastically...staying with the same OS it shipped with helps with the original issue, the latter is because it's a $200 device

to me, the Goog finally got Pixel right with the 3, almost everything you need, nothing you don't...if they had official storefronts to replace battery for $30 then it's golden. Still can't beat the premium heft of the nice iPhones, but the walled-garden iOS still drives me up the wall
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 AM   #327
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Question about RMA process with Google for a phone. How do you even start one, I've been going around in circles on their site, pages lead to the same ones I've been to already. TIA.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #328
Hopeless Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Question about RMA process with Google for a phone. How do you even start one, I've been going around in circles on their site, pages lead to the same ones I've been to already. TIA.
I had to initiate mine via the google support chat on my phone, steps listed here:

https://support.google.com/pixelphon...7109524?hl=en#

You can alternatively choose "contact us" to initiate a live chat as also instructed on that page if you're not doing it from your google device.

Total experience was pretty positive for me as I just went through it two weeks ago. Created my RMA and received my replacement phone within about 5 days from end-to-end and then returned mine with the provided shipping label. I'm sure it's pretty standard practice but It was also nice to be able to keep the peripherals and only send back my RMA'd phone.

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #329
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtanner_ View Post
I had to initiate mine via the google support chat on my phone, steps listed here:

https://support.google.com/pixelphon...7109524?hl=en#

You can alternatively choose "contact us" to initiate a live chat as also instructed on that page if you're not doing it from your google device.

Total experience was pretty positive for me as I just went through it two weeks ago. Created my RMA and received my replacement phone within about 5 days from end-to-end and then returned mine with the provided shipping label. I'm sure it's pretty standard practice but It was also nice to be able to keep the peripherals and only send back my RMA'd phone.
My Pixel 2 XL is stuck in limbo for over a month now, contacted Google a few times regarding it. Saying it's a mix up in paper work.

Kind of complicated cause the Pixel 2 XL was under my wife's account but I took full responsibility for it and Google gave it the okay.

The first one went off for RMA was smooth sailing. 2 weeks was the turn around.

EDIT:

Because of my impatience, I ended up buying a Pixel 3 XL. The notch is pretty intrusive but you get use to it quickly. First full day of using it only got 4 hours of SOT But hopefully it gets better over time
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #330
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
they were completely useless first time when phone died... and took weeks and weeks to get a RMA shipping label the second time for a return
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #331
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
So the Pixel 3a / 3a XL are on now:

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_3a

From what I can tell -- not being super familiar with smart phone specs and such -- the specs are decidedly midrange in many regards. Is that Snapdrago 670 + 4GB RAM going to be enough for a typical user?

The free $150 Google store credit is also an interesting incentive to consider. But with a credit expiration date in late Aug, I am not sure if it is really all that attractive to most people...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #332
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
I believe the pixel 3 was being offered at $599 2-3 weeks ago and now its back to $999. I guess this pricing works if you're not interested in the latest and greatest and dont want to get suckered into a new contact with carriers.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #333
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,182 Posts
Anyone ordered the Pixel 3a?

The US side is offering a great deal if you have an older iPhone laying around. I guess they really want iOS converts.

I pulled the trigger because it seemed no brainer. My old iphone 6s+ with cracked screen quoted U$202 of trade-in value and Google will give U$100 to spend on Google Store. Effectively making the purchase 140USD or so with taxes factored in for me to experience all the latest Google wizardry. Or 240 if one isn't getting anything from Google Store.

I was buying some stuff from Google anyway so it's a good deal.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #334
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I have a pixel 2 xl and I'm skipping the 3a since there's not much of an upgrade.

We'll see how the specs are on the pixel 4 when it comes out this October.
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #335
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
So the Pixel 3a / 3a XL are on now:

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_3a

From what I can tell -- not being super familiar with smart phone specs and such -- the specs are decidedly midrange in many regards. Is that Snapdrago 670 + 4GB RAM going to be enough for a typical user?

The free $150 Google store credit is also an interesting incentive to consider. But with a credit expiration date in late Aug, I am not sure if it is really all that attractive to most people...
Should be fine. I am still using Samsung S8 and with no issue at all. Unless you are into mobile games with intense grahpics any mid rang phone these days will do the job. Google is actually really this time putting a really good camera on the 3a and put a mid range CPU. Most mid range phones have terrible cameras and really swing people away from them. With a good camera and decent CPU it should sell really well.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #336
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Just read this about Pixel. Compensation from Google

https://lifehacker.com/if-you-own-a-...ogl-1834783480
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #337
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
is it just me or are android phones just getting worse in terms of reliability?
not in general, but for flagships such as nexus or pixel, which are supposed to be the 'google' phones, there is a disturbing trend of unreliability.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #338
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
is it just me or are android phones just getting worse in terms of reliability?
not in general, but for flagships such as nexus or pixel, which are supposed to be the 'google' phones, there is a disturbing trend of unreliability.
It definitely isn't just you -- I certainly feel the same way. It seems to me that on both the software and hardware level, Android phones have become more buggy, less reliable, and more problem-prone than phones in the past.

And I really dislike the ultra long and thin phone designs now. A 18:9 (or skinnier) phone is much too skinny. Wouldn't video watching just means you're wasting a good chunk of screen real estate on both sides?
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #339
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
i just hear so many instances of the supposed official android phones (nexus, pixel), having total hardware failures that require recalls or class action law suits. i experienced it myself with my 5x, which i had to warranty then the replacement had the same fault.

i have an iphone now because i was tired of all sorts of random hardware failures in my android phones... my oneplus had a worn out usb port, 5x bootloop, moto g5 plus had major reception problems... since i rely on my phone for work, i just didn't want to take another chance.

obviously everyones experience varies, and i'm sure most people here are fine with their androids, but i haven't had an android phone that lasted 2 years without a major hardware fault since my nexus s.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 AM   #340
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone here with pixel 2 have issue with phone keep saying wrong pin? Maybe the last update fucked it up. I have do a reboot to the bootloader and restart the phone. I can only unlock the phone once with the original pin. Once the phone is locked again the original pin no longer work. Changing pin doesn't work either because it'll forget the new pin when the phone restart. People online say to wipe the phone to fix the problem, but I have too many stuff here I'm not willing to start all over.
striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote