REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Gas price at 140+ - why? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/713648-gas-price-140-why.html)

tiger_handheld 10-31-2017 08:17 PM

Gas price at 140+ - why?

has anyone noticed gas is no longer in the low 130's?

Harvey was a month or so ago - so what gives now?

everywhere it's low 140's to mid 140's now...

Teriyaki 10-31-2017 08:24 PM

Same story as its always been. Because they can.

pastarocket 10-31-2017 08:24 PM

Maybe Horgan decided to slide in an increase in the provincial tax on gas to make up for the stupid decision to eliminate bridge tolls. :troll:

ilovebacon 10-31-2017 08:58 PM

you think it has to do with something with that gasoline plant that blew up in the states?

nns 10-31-2017 09:14 PM

Slightly OT but I read an article earlier today about how gas prices were going up in Alberta. $1.14/liter was what they considered high. Just to add some perspective.

Quote:

Gas prices in Metro Vancouver are now the highest in North America.

Prices in the Lower Mainland have been creeping up for the past week, and many stations are now charging around $1.42 a litre.

Vancouver gas prices versus the U.S. and Canadian average over the last 18 months.
Vancouver gas prices versus the U.S. and Canadian average over the last 18 months.
Gasbuddy.com
Petroleum analyst Dan McTeague with GasBuddy.com said there are several reasons for the high prices, including the fact that Metro residents pay among the highest gas taxes in Canada: 49 cents on every litre.

LISTEN: Metro Vancouver now has the highest gas prices in North America

READ MORE: Vancouver pays second highest gas taxes in the country

McTeague added that Chevron’s Burnaby refinery just isn’t able to produce enough to keep up with demand.

“It looks like we’ve painted ourselves into a corner. We simply don’t produce enough gasoline, even if there was an adequate supply to meet our domestic needs,” McTeague said.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter
Janet Brown @JanetBrown980
Another day, another hike in gas prices @CKNW @GlobalBC @charlesadler @FontaineNW @GasBuddy
10:43 AM - Oct 29, 2017
16 16 Replies 11 11 Retweets 8 8 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
That refinery, which is being sold to Parkland Industries, is able to produce about 45,000 barrels of fuel a day, McTeague said.

“Certainly in the Lower Mainland and on Vancouver Island, including Victoria, there is no way of calculating whether the price we are paying is justified.”

McTeague said motorists gassing up in Blaine or Bellingham are saving about $25 dollars a tank, even with the Canadian Dollar worth just US$0.78.

Soaring gas prices in Metro Vancouver will only add to the high cost of living in the region according to Kris Sims with the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

“Our warning to folks is, regardless of your political stripe or how you vote, this is money coming out of your wallet and your bank account and you need to stand up and be heard about it if you think this is costing you too much. And right now it is just costing a ghastly amount to fill up your vehicle.”

Sims said once mobility pricing comes in, that will be another added tax.

At midday on Monday, the cheapest gas in Metro Vancouver was selling for $1.29 at the Costco at 20499 64 Avenue in Langley.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3832861/m...rices-analyst/

tiger_handheld 10-31-2017 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8869543)
you think it has to do with something with that gasoline plant that blew up in the states?

when was this? and where?

ilovebacon 10-31-2017 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 8869553)
when was this? and where?

my mistake, that was an oil refinery

nah 10-31-2017 10:11 PM

I gassed up at Costco Bellingham yesterday and it was $2.49 USD, converted to CAD and it's about $0.83/L. That's almost half price and in Blaine it's $2.91. It feels like there's a gas cartel locally...

!LittleDragon 10-31-2017 11:27 PM

Got me a Nexus card years ago and I pop down to Pt. Roberts every Saturday for gas and to pick up my/gf's online shopping.

Too lazy to do the conversion but I typically pay $50-55 USD for 17-18 gallons. I only get gas locally when I need to and I only put in enough to get me through to Saturday. I was doing it here and there when I had a 2.0T but I do it weekly now with a 5.0L.

coneZONE 11-01-2017 01:05 AM

Is there some sort of law/bylaw that forces all the gas stations to have the same price? Growing up, i remember my dad driving to the next gas station to find a better price (few cents difference or so). A few years ago when i visited Victoria, basically every gas station had a different price, even if they were a block apart.

Gas wars?

Gnomes 11-01-2017 04:54 AM

I thought it was due to CAD dipped a bit from 80 cents to 78 cents. But that doesnt account for that significant increase

1BADMR2 11-01-2017 05:14 AM

Greed of the gas companies but speculating some type crisis again. Usually the higher gas prices occur in the summer time.

blkgsr 11-01-2017 06:14 AM

someone needs to do a comparison of oil prices vs gas prices vs CDN/USD

I've got a ram 1500 now and this is just killing me...thinking about runs to the states

i's roughly 90km round trip from my house to blaine, so with my truck that's going to be let's say 15L to drive there and back. that means i need to save over $20 on the fuel alone to make it worth while not counting my time.

so if gas is let's say $.50 cheaper that's about $60 savings in gas minus the $20 in fuel so $40 overall and a couple hours of my time

i guess i'll keep going to costco

GabAlmighty 11-01-2017 06:18 AM

#becausevancouver

I live in the arctic where the gas is trucked up... A substantially greater shipping cost than to Vancouver where it's piped in and put on local delivery trucks. I have a card lock with the local PetroPass and it usually comes to about $0.85-0.95/L

Living in one of the most desirable areas in the world has its disadvantages

blkgsr 11-01-2017 06:21 AM

ya this city fucking sucks, that's the disadvantage

Slifer 11-01-2017 06:28 AM

Man, I really don't understand how people can afford to live in Vancouver. Are majority of the population living paycheck to paycheck?

Zedbra 11-01-2017 06:33 AM

I just got back from a business trip in Niagara Falls and Toronto - gas was only $1.15 per litre.

MG1 11-01-2017 07:12 AM

I guess my decision to go electric was a good idea. It has its drawbacks, but news like this makes it less of an issue.

Berzerker 11-01-2017 08:32 AM

There is no regulatory body and no rules for gas pricing. They can literally charge whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they want to. There is NOTHING going on globally EVER than can justify 10cent increases in fuel prices overnight (as seen here in Smithers last week) We are the one of the biggest contributors to Oil in the world and yet we can't refine it ourselves to sell to ourselves? We ship it off for peanuts, and then buy it back for a premium? How the fuck does that make sense? Wouldn't be better for CANADA to build refineries and keep it in house, providing JOBS for Canadians, and keeping our money in Canada? Fuck I sound like Trump.....

Berz out.

fliptuner 11-01-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nah (Post 8869563)
I gassed up at Costco Bellingham yesterday and it was $2.49 USD, converted to CAD and it's about $0.83/L. That's almost half price and in Blaine it's $2.91. It feels like there's a gas cartel locally...

I was in Maui last month and gas was $2.39/gal.....in the middle of the Pacific fucking ocean.

Just got back from Victoria and it was $1.36/L - 7¢ cheaper than here and that shit has to get trucked in.

originalhypa 11-01-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 8869619)
Spoiler!

Berz out.

You are completely right Berz.
The crazy thing is, that the fuel companies have been known to collude in the past. They're not technically a monopoly, but pretty damn close.

roastpuff 11-01-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8869635)
You are completely right Berz.
The crazy thing is, that the fuel companies have been known to collude in the past. They're not technically a monopoly, but pretty damn close.

Just like phone companies.

blkgsr 11-01-2017 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8869628)
I was in Maui last month and gas was $2.39/gal.....in the middle of the Pacific fucking ocean.

Just got back from Victoria and it was $1.36/L - 7¢ cheaper than here and that shit has to get trucked in.

the GVRD has to pay the stupid translink tax and some other bullshit the rest of the province doesn't have to pay

cdizzle_996 11-01-2017 10:22 AM

Regardless of the tax paid..

Across the line in Sumas it's 2.89/gallon = .76c USD/litre. Funny how an imaginary line in the earth is such a difference. Even after the exchange it's .99c/litre CDN for regular or 1.05 for premium.

Berzerker 11-01-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 8869639)
Just like phone companies.

I thought there was some sort of government oversight to prevent gouging in cell companies?

Berz out.