REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #51
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
when i did McD when i was 15/16 it wasn't a free meal, employees got 50% off
$6.50 wage ftw
it's hardly about the perks or the pay though, the training and experience is valuable
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #52
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
when i did McD when i was 15/16 it wasn't a free meal, employees got 50% off
$6.50 wage ftw
it's hardly about the perks or the pay though, the training and experience is valuable
Samesies. I worked at Mcd for 2 weeks then I got my paycheque and found out it was $6.25 so I left to work at Aritzia lol. I didn't think it was fair cuz I had already worked at Butterflies & Raw Edge at Metro for 2 years before mcd and got paid more doing retail lol.
MSREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #53
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
the problem is, retail is a dying industry. Unless you're specializing in an industry that offers too many challenges to simple online business, you're time is coming. I don't step foot in an electronics store, even though I buy thousands of dollars a year on electronics. It's so much better to do your homework on exactly what you want, and search online for the best deal.

A little note about making money at a young age. Way back in the mid 90's, the minimum wage jumped from $4.50 to $5.00/hr
This was at a time when I was 15 and making minimum wage washing dishes on the weekends at Earls. This was a huge financial hit for the owners. They took away our free meals. Everything that came out of the kitchen had to be charged through a server, albeit at half price.

Management also limited what we could order, as anything with a low profit margin (ex: steak, salmon) wasn't discounted. There was one loophole though..... If an order was screwed up, or something was cancelled, you could take it for your break, no charge. That was a popular option for the senior line cooks and their friends. And who can blame them? Earl's wasn't cheap, and we weren't getting paid much with the top guys making $18-22/hr, max. I spent three years working in restaurants, and that was enough for me.

In the end management had to raise prices, which meant they needed to print new menus and reprogram the POS systems. That added to more costs, and layoffs. The mid/late-90's were a tough time to come of age.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #54
Banned By Establishment

After HS I worked a year in superstore stocking shelves waiting for my job offer. I wouldn’t touch the food service industry with a ten foot pole. I would lose my shit having to deal with idiots complaining about coffee too hot/cold. Now I make my own coffee just so I don’t have to listen to stupid/entitled customers complaining about pointless things to the poor employees.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #55
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
I eat fast food about twice a month. Usually Tim's chilli is one of things I get out of all the fast food around. Always hits the spot for me.

A&W is stupidly expensive but they have specials all the time. Mama burgers on special right now for $2.50 each. Add poutine and there you go.

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #56
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
This was a few years ago, but a hs kid I knew at the time told me that when he was working at McDonald's, they didn't even get free meals from work. All they had was discounted purchases. That really came as a surprise to me. IIRC, KFC / Taco Bell at least offers free meals.
i worked at McD's back in 94 and it was also 50% off at that time, no freebies.

But what I did was make my own kick ass custom burger and then just put it inside a Big Xtra box so I got charged the least possible.

I quit because after working there for 6 months, I only got a 15 cent raise lol

Damn I was so petty back then

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #57
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
When I worked at McD's, ages ago, meals were free, min 4.5hr shifts, OT, smoking in the break room.

Hell, we used to buy steaks and mushrooms from Safeway across the street and cook them on the flat-top and used real eggs for everything. I used to work Brower just for the free cases of burgers and nuggets.

Oh and beef lard and fried pies were the shit

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #58
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Tim's has been garbage for at least a decade. I get a bagel from them once a month when I work a 3 AM shift because there aren't many options for breakfast and I'm not keen on waking up at 1 AM instead of 1:30 AM to make breakfast those mornings. The bagels are not good (they used to be pretty good). Half the time, the milk I get with it is past its expiry date.

Now with them cutting benefits in Ontario, they're firmly in boycott territory. I'll grab McDonald's for breakfast once a month.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #59
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
ESL Filipinos. Thats all i fucking see.
Canada Temporary Work Program.

The loophole for corporations to hire cheap labour from abroad.

Instead of specialized talent, it make the funnel for cheap labour.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #60

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
After HS I worked a year in superstore stocking shelves waiting for my job offer. I wouldn’t touch the food service industry with a ten foot pole. I would lose my shit having to deal with idiots complaining about coffee too hot/cold. Now I make my own coffee just so I don’t have to listen to stupid/entitled customers complaining about pointless things to the poor employees.
I worked there a year after high school in the 90's, never seen an employer take more advantage of it's workers then that place. They fucked up my direct deposit and it took them 8 weeks to fix it. I worked 4 pay periods without receiving one penny, every payday they said we'll fix it next payday. Once I started receiving my pay it would be short every single time. After talking to some other people I found out that managements bonuses were dependent on staying within budget. They'd get budgeted X amount of hours, if they went over budget they would just cut hours off everyone's cheques. They'd make right the previous pay on the next cheque but then the next cheque was cut back from that pay period. In the year I worked there I never received one cheque that was correct, I had to go bitch and complain every single time. The Union was useless no help at all with rectifying anything. I can't believe I stayed in that shit hole as long as I did.

I was injured there my last shit, I had a 5" gash in my arm from a box cutter with blood trail from the fridges all the way to the front end customers screaming it was pretty epic. They took me into the first aid, wrapped it up and told me I had to drive myself to the hospital because there was nobody to drive me. They didn't call me a cab or an ambulance. I'm super squeamish with blood I'm surprised I made it to the hospital without passing out.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 01-05-2018 at 02:32 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #61
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,399 Times in 5,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I eat fast food about twice a month. Usually Tim's chilli is one of things I get out of all the fast food around. Always hits the spot for me.

A&W is stupidly expensive but they have specials all the time. Mama burgers on special right now for $2.50 each. Add poutine and there you go.

I really miss when Tim's had the chili in a lovely sourdough breadbowl that you ate after............ but it's been YEARS... maybe 10 years since they did that!!! No idea why! It was bomb
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:37 PM   #62
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I worked there a year after high school in the 90's, never seen an employer take more advantage of it's workers then that place. They fucked up my direct deposit and it took them 8 weeks to fix it. I worked 4 pay periods without receiving one penny, every payday they said we'll fix it next payday. Once I started receiving my pay it would be short every single time. After talking to some other people I found out that managements bonuses were dependent on staying within budget. They'd get budgeted X amount of hours, if they went over budget they would just cut hours off everyone's cheques. They'd make right the previous pay on the next cheque but then the next cheque was cut back from that pay period. In the year I worked there I never received one cheque that was correct, I had to go bitch and complain every single time. The Union was useless no help at all with rectifying anything. I can't believe I stayed in that shit hole as long as I did.

I was injured there my last shit, I had a 5" gash in my arm from a box cutter with blood trail from the fridges all the way to the front end customers screaming it was pretty epic. They took me into the first aid, wrapped it up and told me I had to drive myself to the hospital because there was nobody to drive me. They didn't call me a cab or an ambulance. I'm super squeamish with blood I'm surprised I made it to the hospital without passing out.
Should have worksafe and ESB them asses. What I don't get is why schools don't teach any of this shit.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Should have worksafe and ESB them asses. What I don't get is why schools don't teach any of this shit.
Poor funding, curriculum that doesn't match current or future employment needs, lower standards for passing, very little focus (if any) on personal skills necessary for life after school, union protects too many terrible teachers, etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #64
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

I know someone that has multiple fast food franchises and has over 400 employees. Foreign workers come to do one thing and that is to make money. They will work all the shifts you want and then ask for more. Thats why businesses hire them. They will not call in saying they can't come to work because it's there boyfriends, sisters friends, cousins birthday party.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #65
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Poor funding, curriculum that doesn't match current or future employment needs, lower standards for passing, very little focus (if any) on personal skills necessary for life after school, union protects too many terrible teachers, etc.
Well they got those career days or that stupid portfolio thing that they have to do nowadays. Probably cheaper to have some worksafe staff visit schools on those days than deal with life long injuries at age 18.

its not a matter of passing or personal skills. Its knowing what they are doing is dangerous or that they are being taken advantaged of.

I think a class like wrap it if you are gonna fuck or that puberty video session in grade 5 would do, you don't need a damm course on it.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I know someone that has multiple fast food franchises and has over 400 employees. Foreign workers come to do one thing and that is to make money. They will work all the shifts you want and then ask for more. Thats why businesses hire them. They will not call in saying they can't come to work because it's there boyfriends, sisters friends, cousins birthday party.
The TFW program was to fill gaps that couldn't be filled by Canadian workers, not for business owners to abuse it by filling unskilled jobs with even cheaper labour.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #67
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...wage-hike.html

Here's another news article about Tim Hortons.

Employees banned from accepting tips.

Not sure if this is a repost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #68

Quote:
Well they got those career days or that stupid portfolio thing that they have to do nowadays. Probably cheaper to have some worksafe staff visit schools on those days than deal with life long injuries at age 18.

its not a matter of passing or personal skills. Its knowing what they are doing is dangerous or that they are being taken advantaged of.

I think a class like wrap it if you are gonna fuck or that puberty video session in grade 5 would do, you don't need a damm course on it.
Yeah, I'm not talking about that ...

I'm talking about budgeting, investments, cost/benefit analysis, decision making, etc. Actually preparing them for life in the real world and adulthood.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #69
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
The only 2 reasons I would go to Timmies is 1. Extra Large Coffee's and 2. Tim Bits. Now McDonalds has Extra Large Coffee's and the muffins are better at McDonalds sooooo I don't go to Tim's anymore. McDonalds Coffee is way better and the cups are 10x better. PLUS you get the stickers so you get coffee rewards from MdDicks. ALSO!!! Free refills if your sitting in house eating your food. Try getting a free refill at Tim's..... lol

Berz out.
Holy crap I didn't know everyone was entitled to free refills. I saw a guy get one before while I was ordering food and I thought he's a regular so he gets it (y'know like the old folks that are there every morning and afternoon). Never even crossed my mind.

BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #70
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Do you really think anybody would pay attention? Even if they did, they'd likely forget all of it by the time they need it.

Quote:
I'm talking about budgeting, investments, cost/benefit analysis, decision making, etc. Actually preparing them for life in the real world and adulthood.
One thing school is supposed to teach you is how to learn things, so why does everybody act like they're completely inept unless they had a teacher walk them through every step of how to do something? Did you never do a research project where you had to pick a topic of some sort and research it and learn about it on your own? So many people whine about how school didn't teach them X, how about you go crack open a book at the library or search online instead of complaining about how you didn't learn about something in school as if you would have even paid attention to any of it anyways.

Maybe that's the real failure of the education system. How people can make it twelve fucking years and not understand how to learn about something.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #71
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post

Yea there was a huge flood locally but they changed legislation I think so it's not as common anymore.

Berz out.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #72
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...wage-hike.html

Here's another news article about Tim Hortons.

Employees banned from accepting tips.

Not sure if this is a repost.
I wonder what that would work out for each employee. How many people are just like "keep the change" ? I'd work 8 hours at MCD and maybe like 90 cents would come from that, but that was the 90s.

So this owner wants that dollar?
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #73
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

Maybe that's the real failure of the education system. How people can make it twelve fucking years and not understand how to learn about something.
People are taught to memorize. Not learn. For the most part.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #74

Quote:
Now with them cutting benefits in Ontario, they're firmly in boycott territory. I'll grab McDonald's for breakfast once a month.
If you're referring to the two franchises in Ontario, this was a decision by the individual owners of the two restaurants only. Not the board.
-Norm Franz
Old 01-05-2018, 06:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSREE View Post
Fast food and janitorial work is the easiest work to get into if you are new to Canada and sponsored. They dont have the luxury of waiting for something better because everyone who comes here has family back home they need to send money to immediately. Church's, Tim's, & Mcd's & cleaning companies target immigrants for hiring. I can confirm this also because I was doing mass recruiting for a national cleaning company last year and Filipinos were their most sought after workers, white people/execs just love them for their work ethic and they make it known.
Filipino communites are pretty tight knit, word travels fast and referrals are how most newcomers get their jobs. Even if you have a degree from the Phils, it doesnt mean anything here. Much like how an East Indian can be a doctor in India but has to start off as a cab driver here.
They do generally have a very strong work ethic. The ones I've known anyways. I wonder if the large Catholic following has anything to do with that.

But yes, I was specifically talking about Church's Chicken. Every one that I'd been to (though it has been many years) from Vancouver to Surrey would have like 80-90% Filipino employees. Much more than any other fast food restaurant. Maybe it's the contractors they use. I dunno. Just always wondered
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by: