REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
HELP ME PLS!!!

Barricade the doors, make it as hard as possible for the shooter to enter. Buy as much time as possible for police to show up and neutralize the shooter.
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #27
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Might be just rumours but apparently he's been posting all over the Internet about probably doing something like this and was banned from entering schools.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #28
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
LOUD WARNING
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d3a_1518656040
Old 02-14-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
What's the only way to stop this or at least significantly reduce these incidents?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:12 PM   #30

^ there isn't a magic single only way. That's why this argument goes around in circles.

Are these shooting taking place with guns that may be acquired too easily? Yes, some gun control needs to happen. You will never get a full ban and that shouldn't be required anyway.

Are these shootings happening by healthy and happy people? No. Normal people don't walk into a school and shoot a bunch of children. Mental health needs to be looked at hard in America.

Do people who value life kill other people? No. Somewhere in the last 20 years there has been a massive shift towards hatred in America. The media causes huge divides. Everyone is a victim of something and everyone hates someone. There is no harmony and love for your fellow human. Look at all the violent protests and pure hatred on social media.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #31
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
Are these shootings happening by healthy and happy people? No. Normal people don't walk into a school and shoot a bunch of children. Mental health needs to be looked at hard in America.
Hmm...

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221
Old 02-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #32
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
I know i'm an arm chair warrior right now, but from watching these videos it seems like the best strategy during a shooting on campus and you're stuck in a room, someone should be posted by the door out of sight.

If the shooter tries to enter the classroom you try to hit him with a chair or weapon. Otherwise, everyone in the classroom are sitting ducks.

I think they should have mandatory school training for situations like these. Though, they might already have it.
I seriously had the exact dream of what you described after the Virginia Tech Shooting (wow can't believe it's been 11 years already)
Of course being at the actual scene there's a chance you freeze up or can't think straight with hundreds of screaming kids.

However if I remember correctly there were students jumping out of the 3rd or 4th floor of the building to escape... I think I would rather take my chances swinging a chair from behind the door. I mean in most cases the shooter is just some deranged kid himself isn't it? I don't think he would have the ability to Steven Segal his way out of 2 or 3 guys running at him with a chair?
Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #33
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Barricade the doors, make it as hard as possible for the shooter to enter. Buy as much time as possible for police to show up and neutralize the shooter.
The thing is the guy had pulled the fire alarm. I bet most people where killed trying to leave thinking there was a fire.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #34
HELP ME PLS!!!

That was the response to question for alternatives to hiding behind a door and smashing the shooter with a chair.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure the majority of the victims where shot in the halls.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #35

Quote:
I know i'm an arm chair warrior right now, but from watching these videos it seems like the best strategy during a shooting on campus and you're stuck in a room, someone should be posted by the door out of sight.

If the shooter tries to enter the classroom you try to hit him with a chair or weapon. Otherwise, everyone in the classroom are sitting ducks.

I think they should have mandatory school training for situations like these. Though, they might already have it.
No school is stupid enough to train or tell a student/teacher to risk their life and be that person who stands by the door to attack the shooter. Instant lawsuit.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
^ there isn't a magic single only way. That's why this argument goes around in circles.

Are these shooting taking place with guns that may be acquired too easily? Yes, some gun control needs to happen. You will never get a full ban and that shouldn't be required anyway.

Do people who value life kill other people? No. Somewhere in the last 20 years there has been a massive shift towards hatred in America. The media causes huge divides. Everyone is a victim of something and everyone hates someone. There is no harmony and love for your fellow human. Look at all the violent protests and pure hatred on social media.
Everybody always wants answers. Way I see it, when it's your time to go, you go. Nothing wrong with it I don't think.
It's comforting to accept that we're powerless to it.
That's how I feel about it anyways.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 AM   #37
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:

That is actually what they teach now... It's part of ALICE training which schools are switching to, to subdue the attacker if need be. They will stop telling kids to just lay on the floor waiting to get shot.

The first steps are to make the room less visible (turn off the lights), then harder to get into (block the doors - soon they'll be able to lock them from the inside only)
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #38
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,262 Times in 1,966 Posts
Quote:

Agree

Love them or hate them, guns are simply a tool but they should be regulated much more to keep ill people away from them. The real problem, though, is much deeper than that. Somewhere in time, this ideology of divisiveness and hatred has surfaced and grown. People taking offense to everything, yelling over top of each other rather than having debates. Critical thinking has gone out the window, leading to more impulsive actions taking place. Then again, the US has pretty much glorified and romanticized its history of brutal violence throughout its existence.

The suspect wanted to be a school shooter. Even so, how many violent acts take place in schools on a daily basis? Probably a lot more than we know because they aren't talked about. It's only when something of large caliber like this happens, then media flock together like the mosquitoes they are basically sap everyone's energy with the same 'for dummies' talking points.

So much negativity now, people just retreat to the confines of their mind which can spawn mental illness.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #39
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corollagtSr5 View Post
Heroes die first in the real world. Your best bet is probably to flip the desk to its side and take cover. If he does approach you, you only have two options, fight or flight.
I dunno some heroes get to star as themselves in Clint Eastwood movies
Old 02-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #40
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Of course being at the actual scene there's a chance you freeze up or can't think straight with hundreds of screaming kids.
A few weeks back I walked into the living room and my wife was watching 19-2. It's a pretty good tv show about the life of cops and the things they go through on a daily basis. Being a big Jared Keeso fan, I stuck around for a few minutes.

Anyway, the imdb description for the episode is here.
In the season two premiere, the entire squad is involved in an intensely tragic school shooting which profoundly impacts their lives.

I don't get too involved in tv. I don't watch a lot outside of TWD and old Simpsons episodes. But this show had me both mesmerized, and even a bit emotional. It showed with glaring reality, what that scenario might be like. And it was fucking intense.

RIP to the victims.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #41

I have a question:

1. Why is there so many of these mass shootings in the states lets say compared to us in Canada?

2. Are our laws that much different in comparison to there gun control? I mean its not everyday you hear mass shootings up here in Canada compared to it pretty much happening regularly down in the states.

answer away lol
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #42
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

When people are tired of hearing about mass shootings to the point that they just don't care anymore then it has become the norm. Mass shootings are now normal in America. Hope Americans can see what's wrong with that.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:25 AM   #43
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
gun culture and copycat crimes.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #44
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post
I have a question:

1. Why is there so many of these mass shootings in the states lets say compared to us in Canada?

2. Are our laws that much different in comparison to there gun control? I mean its not everyday you hear mass shootings up here in Canada compared to it pretty much happening regularly down in the states.

answer away lol
They have 10 times as many people so you're going to see more examples of everything there. The gun control laws are different from state to state so you'd have to look at each state that has had an incident to make that comparison.

You can buy an assault rifle in Canada, you have to be 18 years old and complete your PAL including restricted which is a 2 half day course or at least it was when I took it. There is a background check but I don't know how thorough it is.

It could happen anywhere in Canada just as easily as the US IMO.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 AM   #45
I STILL don't get it

it's 2018 and there are 435 members of the house of representatives and many senators up for reelection.

instead of hoping, praying, and hashtagging, perhaps Americans as a whole should actually put an ounce of effort into this and vote out those who refuse to change their archaic views on gun control.

vote them out systematical and eventually proper gun control will be in place in order to set the groundwork for the next generation.

the solution is simple. but the global plague that is laziness will prevail. a like on facebook is much easier.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #46
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,758 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreck View Post
it's 2018 and there are 435 members of the house of representatives and many senators up for reelection.

instead of hoping, praying, and hashtagging, perhaps Americans as a whole should actually put an ounce of effort into this and vote out those who refuse to change their archaic views on gun control.

vote them out systematical and eventually proper gun control will be in place in order to set the groundwork for the next generation.

the solution is simple. but the global plague that is laziness will prevail. a like on facebook is much easier.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #47
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post

It could happen anywhere in Canada just as easily as the US IMO.
But it doesn't.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But it doesn't.
why not?
Old 02-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #49
HELP ME PLS!!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/2378037/g...world-compare/
Old 02-15-2018, 10:53 AM   #50
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
why not?
We don't have as many Americans
This post thanked by:
Closed Thread