REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #76
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post

However, I'm worried that the Roseanne tangent we are on is taking away from the Trump thread. I mean, he just imposed some serious tariffs basically declaring trade war with the rest of the world. And we're here talking about monkeys.
sorry. i really wanted to drop this. but then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
The stupidity in this post is uncanny.
how about you explain the stupidity, please. y'know. for the less intelligent
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It doesn't even matter if that was the intent or not. What she tweeted is what matters. The words. Black person + ape. If you think she looks like a weird sci-fi character, pick something else. ANYTHING else.

She even went on to say that she didn't know she was black. Whether that's the case or not, I don't know. Personally I'd give her the benefit of doubt. But it doesn't matter because what she said about a black person was heinous, and even she will admit that, the explanation being she was so fucked out of her mind that she had no idea what she was writing. And with this drug, I'd buy her story there too. But again it doesn't matter.

And, if you think that comment is not racist and deserving of consequences, regardless of the intent, you are fucking so far beyond help it's not even funny.
Oh come on. She knew she's black. She somehow knew VJ was born in Iran to American parents hence the muslim brotherhood part of the tweet so she definitely knew...
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
Oh come on. She knew she's black. She somehow knew VJ was born in Iran to American parents hence the muslim brotherhood part of the tweet so she definitely knew...
That's where you thought the Muslim brotherhood text came from?
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...and-father-law
-Norm Franz
Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #79
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but why was Rosanne tweeting about an Obama-era aide in 2018?

Thanks

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #80
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It doesn't even matter if that was the intent or not. What she tweeted is what matters. The words. Black person + ape. If you think she looks like a weird sci-fi character, pick something else. ANYTHING else.

She even went on to say that she didn't know she was black. Whether that's the case or not, I don't know. Personally I'd give her the benefit of doubt. But it doesn't matter because what she said about a black person was heinous, and even she will admit that, the explanation being she was so fucked out of her mind that she had no idea what she was writing. And with this drug, I'd buy her story there too. But again it doesn't matter.

And, if you think that comment is not racist and deserving of consequences, regardless of the intent, you are fucking so far beyond help it's not even funny.
I haven't really been following that news....but to me, calling 1 person looking like an ape doesn't make it racist.

Saying "Black people looks like Ape" is racist.
Saying "You look ugly like an ape" is mean, but not racist.

I've called my friends/classmate apes when I was younger (when they have thick lip/big eyes/wide shoulder/etc)
It is a childish insult but i didn't/still dont' think it is racist.
Is the same idea as calling people with long face = horse, bulging eyes = frog, hairy = gorilla. I had plenty of people call me gorilla because I have lots of bodyhair...

FYI I don't know these people, maybe there is some context to her tweet and her history that would make her racist I dont' know.
But simply calling another person looking like an ape doesn't make it racist, doesn't matter if you are black white yellow green or purple.
(She has gotta be retard to say that tho, considering how sensitive people are with these subjects nowadays..)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #81
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Forgive me for being out of the loop, but why was Rosanne tweeting about an Obama-era aide in 2018?

Thanks
Short version is she thinks Jarrett is involved in covering up various real and/or concocted misdeeds of Obama's administration. Jarrett is also currently one of the people running the Obama Foundation... which is a high profile target of people like Barr with deranged tinfoil hat views.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
That's where you thought the Muslim brotherhood text came from?
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...and-father-law
cnsnews

Their slogan actually reads "The RIGHT news, RIGHT now"
Old 06-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #83
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
So if I go up to a black person and call them an ugly ape it's not racist, but if I include "black people" in the sentence it is?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #84
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,697 Times in 1,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
I haven't really been following that news....but to me, calling 1 person looking like an ape doesn't make it racist.

I've called my friends/classmate apes when I was younger (when they have thick lip/big eyes/wide shoulder/etc)
It is a childish insult but i didn't/still dont' think it is racist.
Is the same idea as calling people with long face = horse, bulging eyes = frog, hairy = gorilla. I had plenty of people call me gorilla because I have lots of bodyhair...

FYI I don't know these people, maybe there is some context to her tweet and her history that would make her racist I dont' know.
But simply calling another person looking like an ape doesn't make it racist, doesn't matter if you are black white yellow green or purple.
(She has gotta be retard to say that tho, considering how sensitive people are with these subjects nowadays..)
I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're ignorant about the issue at hand, because calling black people apes is racist as fuck. There's even a term for it, it's known as Simianization.

Apes have been historically been used to describe sub-human behaviour (mostly by white people), and when Africa was discovered the slaves that were brought back to Europe were shown off as objects rather than humans, and were very often labelled as apes.

Intentional or not, calling a black person an ape is inherently racist. It stems from racism, and is used in context of saying they are lower than humans, based off the colour of their skin -- you know, the very definition of racism. As others have said, it's not so prevalent in Canada but in other parts of the world it's very commonly known, and unfortunately, used.

Also, thread 2.0 seems to have twice the vitriol in it
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #85

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
If you are Libertarian as you claim to be, then would you not agree ABC as a major corporation should be able to decide whether or not they want to be aligned with a certain individual due to their business interests? Rosanne said some racist diatribe, whether you think what she said was racist or not is irrelevant.

ABC decided that as a business, they do not want to accept the financial consequence of being aligned with such a woman, as a Libertarian you should agree and understand their reasoning to cancel her show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
As someone who is deep in the Left Libertarian corner of the Political Compass, and not some alt-right tiki torch bearer, I hold free speech and personal freedoms in high regard. While this is not necessarily a free speech issue, part of what comes with such values is an understanding of the importance of context and nuance, especially in a text-based medium where those concepts are notoriously hard to display or discern.

The fact that you can ignore this and pick apart a statement so easily, like a someone picking off all the mushrooms from his mushroom fettuccine, until all that is left is one word, is a bit concerning. That you can draw a conclusion and condemn someone in such a way, while ignoring everything presented to you, is alarming. You want to talk about depths of depravity, look no further than your unsupported argument.

If anyone here can identify which character Michael Clarke Duncan played in 2001's Planet of The Apes, without looking it up on imdb or skipping to the end credits, you are by definition a racist. Just ask Skinny.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #86

Frankly I'm sick of these alt-right, conservative, whatever adjective you want to apply to this "persona". People like Rosanne, Trump, love to dog whistle, we know damn well what she was insinuating. When the consequences come, you roll back and make ridiculous excuses. Being on Ambien? She thought she was a "Jew"? Wtf does Planet of the Apes have anything to do with thinking she was a Jew?

I love how racists never have the balls to stick by their god damn comments and opinions in public. This is beating a dead horse, her show is cancelled, I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You can have your free speech, but you are not free of the consequences of said speech. What else is there left to discuss about this subject?
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #87

Quote:
cnsnews

Their slogan actually reads "The RIGHT news, RIGHT now"
I was showing where it came from. Not validating the statement
Of course your immediate reaction is to try and discredit
-Norm Franz
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #88
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
After being reminded of the Susan Rice tweet, I am revoking my benefit of doubt

(inb4 the retards here claim that she was only giving reference to the size of Susan's balls, and using ape balls to describe a black woman wasn't racist)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #89

Quote:
I was showing where it came from. Not validating the statement
Of course your immediate reaction is to try and discredit
Uh, discrediting is rather important in a discussion when the sources are clearly biased. Didn't you discredit any article from CNN in the original thread?

The double standards are mind boggling.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2018, 05:21 AM   #90
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
my my this thread is the fastest growing thing on RS.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Uh, discrediting is rather important in a discussion when the sources are clearly biased. Didn't you discredit any article from CNN in the original thread?

The double standards are mind boggling.
I'm not saying, and never said, that the article had any truth to it.
I'm saying that's where (not necessarily that article specifically of course) she got it from.

Ffs, everything has to be an argument with people just trying to win.
I understand where people are coming from. I just don't agree that because someone says specific words that makes them a racist. Or a hateful person. I don't think that's what she is. And I don't think the action was proportionate to the "crime".
She apologized, and I think it was sincere. I think that's what it comes down to. Whether or not you believe that she feels that what she did was wrong.
I think she's the only one that knows that for sure so there's not much point in arguing it.
I'm not saying anyone here is wrong in what they believe. It's just a matter of opinion. And that's mine.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-02-2018 at 09:11 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #92
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Frankly I'm sick of these alt-right, conservative, whatever adjective you want to apply to this "persona". People like Rosanne, Trump, love to dog whistle, we know damn well what she was insinuating. When the consequences come, you roll back and make ridiculous excuses. Being on Ambien? She thought she was a "Jew"? Wtf does Planet of the Apes have anything to do with thinking she was a Jew?

I love how racists never have the balls to stick by their god damn comments and opinions in public. This is beating a dead horse, her show is cancelled, I've said it once, and I'll say it again. You can have your free speech, but you are not free of the consequences of said speech. What else is there left to discuss about this subject?
What's funny is that these right wing guys always call a few ball when lefties call them out, but when the right wing guys make grotesque statements, they were 'just joking", "under the influence of Ambien", blah blah.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #93
SiRVs up, dude

Quote:
I'm going to call you a hypocrite here. Then your going to defend yourself by re-quoting this:

Quote:
I'm not saying anyone here is wrong in what they believe. It's just a matter of opinion. And that's mine.
Such a typical right wing approach. Attack all the lefties, then run back into your corner and cower away under the impression your actually approving of everyone's diversity of opinions.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #94

Quote:
I'm not saying, and never said, that the article had any truth to it.
I'm saying that's where (not necessarily that article specifically of course) she got it from.

I understand where people are coming from. I just don't agree that because someone says specific words that makes them a racist. Or a hateful person. I don't think that's what she is. And I don't think the action was proportionate to the "crime".
She apologized, and I think it was sincere. I think that's what it comes down to. Whether or not you believe that she feels that what she did was wrong.
I think she's the only one that knows that for sure so there's not much point in arguing it.
Please keep grasping at straws...It's amusing honestly.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
What's funny is that these right wing guys always call a few ball when lefties call them out, but when the right wing guys make grotesque statements, they were 'just joking", "under the influence of Ambien", blah blah.
Lol. Why wasn't Samantha Bee's show canceled? Or her award rescinded? How about even a slap on the wrist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
I'm going to call you a hypocrite here.
You can call me hypocrite. That's fine.I'll own that title
-Norm Franz
Old 06-02-2018, 10:02 AM   #96

Quote:
Please keep grasping at straws...It's amusing honestly.
And you just please keep hitting that fail button. Y'all come back now y'hear
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-02-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #97

And just to be clear, i don't think tit for tat is the right response. I don't think either of their shows should be cancelled.
I think if these people apologized, and genuinely felt that what they did was wrong, then that should be the end of it.
And that's the last I'm going to say on it
-Norm Franz
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #98

So it looks like the legality of these tariffs is now being questioned...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44341074

Quote:
Dr Fox's comments follow those of EU trade commissioner, Cecilia Malmstrom, who also called the new tariffs illegal and said the US was playing a "dangerous game".

French President Emmanuel Macron backed the position, telling President Trump the duties were illegal over the telephone.
-Norm Franz
Old 06-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #99

Quote:
Lol. Why wasn't Samantha Bee's show canceled? Or her award rescinded? How about even a slap on the wrist?
First of all, calling someone a cunt is not the same thing as calling a black person an ape. They are on entirely different levels of inappropriateness and ignorance, but of course you fail to see that.

Fine, what about when Ted Nugent called Hillary Clinton a "toxic cunt" when Bill Clinton was president? Are you as outraged about it as you are with Bee?
El Trumpo himself has been caught referring to women as cunts. But no, that's not wrong, amirite?

It's only double standards and hypocrisy when the left does it! SMH.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #100

Quote:

You can call me hypocrite. That's fine.I'll own that title
Her show wasn't cancelled because she said something that was true. Ivanka is a most definitely a "feckless cunt". For a woman who parades herself as being a spokesperson for mothers, and children, is standing beside a man and government who is literally removing children from their mothers in the most inhumane way, and she says nothing of it.

I would say "feckless cunt" is quite the apt description of that woman.