REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 PM   #176
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c...e_with_allies/

This is bad but I'd like to see this happen just for the sheer craziness it'd be
Advertisement
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #177
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Old 06-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #178
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
"Meek and mild"
I am still laughing my ass off at that very descript depiction. Bravo i say.
I mean, does anyone actually believe that Trudeaux, the self proclaimed feminist, was going to "talk tough" to Trump?
correct me if I'm wrong, But as far as i can tell, the US has the leverage. Since they've been running a hefty deficit for ages.
And if Canada can enforce protectionist trade policies on the US with dairy (270% tariff), why shouldn't US be able to do the same with steel and aluminum?
How do tariffs that Canada has on milk relate to USA placing tariffs on steel and aluminum for purposes of national security?
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:57 PM   #179
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorkami View Post
How do tariffs that Canada has on milk relate to USA placing tariffs on steel and aluminum for purposes of national security?
If America is dependant on other countries to provide its steel and aluminum, it's not in a very secure position to supply its own military.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:06 AM   #180

So first Trump extends an olive branch to Russia with his insistence on allowing them back in the g7, and then Netanyahu extends his to the Iranian people.
Milestones may be on the horizon.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-11-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #181
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
afaik Canada has supplied the raw materials for US military hardware forever
to pass it off as a national security measure is a blatant cop out
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #182

It may or may not be. Regardless, it's still a legitimate excuse to impose a protectionist policy to stimulate a domestic market as Canada does with its dairy
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-11-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:28 AM   #183

Quote:
If America is dependant on other countries to provide its steel and aluminum, it's not in a very secure position to supply its own military.
Like Canada would ever stop selling steel and aluminum to the US. He must be pretty stupid to think that. The US sells and buys military equipment from and to many of countries. Is Trump not afraid that the computers the US army uses are made from parts that come from Asia?
Old 06-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #184
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,379 Times in 1,230 Posts
Does anyone else think Welfare would defend anything Trump does up to and including taking a shit on the Pope's hat? We're coming up on parody territory at this point...

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Does anyone else think Welfare would defend anything Trump does up to and including taking a shit on the Pope's hat? We're coming up on parody territory at this point...
can you explain to me how what he's doing is wrong?
-Norm Franz
Old 06-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #186
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Trump advisers blast Trudeau with 'unprecedented' language: political scientist - NEWS 1130

Quote:
“There’s a special place in hell for any foreign leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump,” Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro said on Fox News this weekend, following the G7 summit in Quebec.
Do you have to have an extra level of stupidity to qualify as one of Trump's advisors? I am not surprised by the BS that is coming out of Trumpy's mouth (or Twitter account), but to have the same stuff publically coming out from his admin team and advisors... that is totally something unprecedented.

Whoever the next POTUS may be, I feel really sorry for the Trump-induced fires that he'd have to put out.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #187
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,495 Times in 1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Trump advisers blast Trudeau with 'unprecedented' language: political scientist - NEWS 1130

Do you have to have an extra level of stupidity to qualify as one of Trump's advisors? I am not surprised by the BS that is coming out of Trumpy's mouth (or Twitter account), but to have the same stuff publically coming out from his admin team and advisors... that is totally something unprecedented.

Whoever the next POTUS may be, I feel really sorry for the Trump-induced fires that he'd have to put out.
Special place in Hell for Trudeau? Somebody tell the orange maggot's adviser that there is no room in that special place of Hell because Dotard already put the US in that place!

I do know that my American friends and extended family members did not vote for the Republicans and Dotard because they knew that Orange Julius is a crybaby who throws tantrums such as Twitter tirades when he doesn't get what he wants.
My American friends and family members still believe that Trump does not have the IQ or EQ to be POTUS.

I back the PM 100 percent when it comes to the counter tariffs. Canada is a good neighbour to the US. However, this bully in the White House is not going to push Canadians around. You gotta stand up to bullies like this Dotard.

Trump's view of Canada as security threat? He is spewing alternative facts again.

-from the article, there have been times where Canada supported the US when that country faced adversity. We helped the Americans but Dotard fails to take these facts into account. Security threat to the US??

#ThanksCanada

https://globalnews.ca/news/4266249/a...ustin-trudeau/

Microsoft’s Ned Pyle pointed out how Canada played a significant role during the 9/11 terror attacks.

“On 9/11, thousands of Americans on 238 airliners were diverted to Canada as part of Operation Yellow Ribbon. Canada cared for them for days, The small town of Gander took in 7,000 people alone. In our hour of need, Canada was there. And this orange maggot calls them an enemy,” he tweeted.

Former American diplomat and U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nicholas Burns, pointed out several instances in which Canada came to the aid of America, including Canada’s role in saving American lives during the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis

Last edited by pastarocket; 06-11-2018 at 12:21 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #188
linguistic ninja

Quote:
can you explain to me how what he's doing is wrong?
Trump is threatening Canada with Steel and Aluminum tariffs due to non-existent "National Security" concerns and because we subsidize our Dairy industry. Make enough sense? Or do you subscribe to alternative facts?

Are you Canadian btw? It would make so much sense if you just reveal your location to be Bumfuck, Alabama right now.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #189

Quote:
Trump is threatening Canada with Steel and Aluminum tariffs due to non-existent "National Security" concerns and because we subsidize our Dairy industry. Make enough sense? Or do you subscribe to alternative facts?

Are you Canadian btw? It would make so much sense if you just reveal your location to be Bumfuck, Alabama right now.
That doesn't make what he's doing 'wrong' though. Or the tariffs invalid.
His issue is that trade has not been fair. Can you say, unequivocally, that it has?
If you can't, then you have no argument
-Norm Franz
Old 06-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #190

In the grand scheme of things, it is probably totally insufficient for Canada alone to impose counter-tariffs and produce enough of an economic consequence to get the dotard to back off. For the time being, I'm seeing other G6 allies up in arms about the same tariffs as well, and some countries have taken the issue up to WTO or EU to complain. But those international complaint processes are often slow, and the rulings may or may not be binding anyway, should the US chooses to ignore them.

We've see how Trump the DUFUS POTUS operates in "diplomacy" and negotiations -- he relies on a mix of unreasonable demands, threats, and the occasional befriending to determine the absolute bottom line of his opponents. Judging by the stories that I've read, this practice isn't at that different than how he conducts his private business prior to his presidency.

It is both sad and unfortunate that he has carried this small and self-serving mindset from his business world into world politics.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #191

Quote:
His issue is that trade has not been fair. Can you say, unequivocally, that it has?
Trump's definition of "fair" is that he takes 90% while you take 10%.

Fairness doesn't work that way.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #192

Quote:

We've see how Trump the DUFUS POTUS operates in "diplomacy" and negotiations -- he relies on a mix of unreasonable demands, threats, and the occasional befriending to determine the absolute bottom line of his opponents. Judging by the stories that I've read, this practice isn't at that different than how he conducts his private business prior to his presidency.

It is both sad and unfortunate that he has carried this small and self-serving mindset from his business world into world politics.
Is it sad if it works?
-Norm Franz
Old 06-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #193

Lets not forget all the military bases we let the US use.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...ty/nanoose.htm

That base is less than 20 minutes from my house. I see ships and subs go past all the time. Their is also a very small island in front of my house that has test equipment for the base.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #194
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Oh, it's totally not fair....for Canada. US has had a trade surplus with us for the last 3 years. But that won't stop Trumpet from making the US look like the victim.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #195

Quote:
Is it sad if it works?
It has obviously worked for the US in her dealings with China, DPRK, and some of the S.American countries (Brazil and Argentina, I think?). But to expect the same bully tactic to work on the US' G6 allies is a bit absurd.

What's obvious to me is that if the rest of the Western World is willing to work together and stand firm against the Trump bully, the US will very quickly learn to back off. But whether that can happen is somewhat uncertain.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #196

At the end of the day, Trump is winning. Trudeaux and the other g6 elite leaders don't have the same leverage as the US.
He is running it like a business. And so far, quite successfully.

I'd love to see Canada come out on top, of course. But unfortunately, with the leadership we have, and our hollow economy, I'm not optimistic.
I'm just being honest and realistic
-Norm Franz
Old 06-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #197
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:

We don't subsidize our dairy industry.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #198

Quote:
It has obviously worked for the US in her dealings with China, DPRK, and some of the S.American countries (Brazil and Argentina, I think?). But to expect the same bully tactic to work on the US' G6 allies is a bit absurd.

What's obvious to me is that if the rest of the Western World is willing to work together and stand firm against the Trump bully, the US will very quickly learn to back off. But whether that can happen is somewhat uncertain.
The EU is on the brink of collapse (and have been degrading to this point for some time). They are not going to be standing firm to anything, IMO.

And again, if the trade arrangements haven't been fair thus far,i don't think it's fair to say Trump is being a bully with his policy.
And nobody in the media or otherwise has provided any data to prove otherwise.
I mean, how easy would it be for Trudeau or anyone in the media to say "no, President Trump, you're wrong. And here is the data to show how fair the trade policies have been". That's all they'd need to do to shut down this argument.
Rather than headlines about tweets, how trade wars are bad, and back and forth comments.
No one is providing any actual subject matter.
-Norm Franz
Old 06-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #199

Quote:
At the end of the day, Trump is winning. Trudeaux and the other g6 elite leaders don't have the same leverage as the US.
He is running it like a business. And so far, quite successfully.
I disagree. He has won some and lost some, but in doing so, he has pissed off a LOT of people around the world that previously weren't so critical of the US or view US as negatively.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #200
My homepage has been set to RS

Isn't it ironic the last time a US president insulted a Canadian PM it was Richard Nixon calling Pierre Trudeau an "asshole"...

Quote:
When the Prime Minister of Canada, Pierre Trudeau heard that President Richard Nixon had called him an "asshole", Trudeau responded,

"I've been called worse things by better people"
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote