REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #26
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
Please, Android has never had a phone that worked better than the comparative iPhone.

I’m no where near an Apple fan boy, but the Lag and use of android phones for browsing etc is laughable compared to iPhones.
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
My Pixel 2 has been amazing. Great camera, no lag at all, and very good battery life. Any iPhone I ever had slowed down after a year when the new model came out.

There's no way the new iPhone is worth almost 2k, what a joke.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #28
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Please, Android has never had a phone that worked better than the comparative iPhone.

I’m no where near an Apple fan boy, but the Lag and use of android phones for browsing etc is laughable compared to iPhones.
Sounds like you haven't played around with any android phones recently? This may have been the case a couple years ago, but imo, any recent android flagship phone performs just as well as the iPhones now.
turb0triX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #29
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,842 Times in 8,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Not sure what the last Android phone you used was, but that is simply not true at anything midrange or higher.

The problem with the reputation of Android is that there are so many cheap crappy phones out there, probably like 90% of the (entire mobile phone) market, people think they are all crap. It's just not true.

Also they don't slow down after a year like iPhones. They perform as well as always until the battery completely goes (5-8 years, but by then software will probably drive you to upgrade)
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

I would say not on oneplus phones or google phones on others I cannot say..
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
fucking Apple
X was clearly an anniversary phone
now they go cheap it out by releasing an iPhone Excess, or is it extra-small?
oh yeah, I have little doubt the Pixel 3 and its camera will obliterate this

at least I finally get my GoogMap/Waze in CarPlay...congrats you guys caught up to 2014 Android
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

the greed with apple is for reals!!!!!!!!
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #33

at least that means my iPhone 7 resale will retain a good value
128gb jet black unlocked if anyone wants one in a few weeks
Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #34
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,226 Times in 1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
would you guys go for the XR or the previous model X?
I can get a 256GB X for slightly more than the cost of the 64GB XR...
I would get the X. You're missing a lot with the XR.

The only thing you'd be missing with the X is the A12 processor, but that really makes negligible difference.

I even told my brother to skip the XS and to just get the X. I have one and there's 0 reason for me to upgrade. Maybe next year or two.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 PM   #35
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
they will keep jacking the price to see how far the sheeple will go.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #36
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Lol Fuck Apple

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #37
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
they will keep jacking the price to see how far the sheeple will go.
Wouldn't be a problem with the big three carriers

$1000 bucks up front and the rest gets allocated onto the two year contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #38
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
I wanted to get the Xs in 512 GB but the pricing is crazy, maybe settle for the 256 GB instead lol
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #39
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Do people really need to upgrade their phone every year or two? The price doesn't bother me so much since I use a phone til it's almost unusable. It's not like the early days when the hardware wasn't great. I was upgrading my old Windows Mobile and Android phones every year. I managed to squeeze almost 5 years out of my Lumia 1020 before finally swapping to a P20 Pro a few months ago and I plan to use it til it's no good for anything.

If it lasts me 5 years then I have no issues spending that much on a new phone.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:34 PM   #40
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

64GB as a basemodel in 2018 is a joke and crazy money grab by Apple. The XR has 128GB as the base model while the Xs/Max start at 64GB.
Sir_Loin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM   #41
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,933 Times in 3,882 Posts
Can they actually do anything new, or are people just paying a pile of money for a slightly faster phone with a slightly better camera than something that's a fraction of the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
would you buy a new top of the line laptop every 1-1.5 years? Insanity.
What blows my mind is that the only perk of a phone is the portability, the functionality of even the top phones is nothing compared to the equivalent dedicated device that's far less expensive, yet people are more than willing to drop the money on the phone and not on a proper device. Build a gaming computer and people think you're nuts for spending the money, but play some shitty mobile game on a phone that cost the same amount and nobody blinks an eye.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #42

Apple, WHERE DE AIRPOWAH mat? 12 months and it's still vapourware

120Hz touch-sensing almost fooled me, OLED ProMotion in 2020 I suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
The only thing you'd be missing with the X is the A12 processor, but that really makes negligible difference.
to be fair, a 6S/7 is just fine?

$30 Genius Bar new battery by 12/31...boom

unless you doing AR or crave 4K60 and OLED
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #43
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
As much as pricing is over the top I personally think the star of the show is not the Xs or the Xs Max but rather the Xr.

Sure it doesn't have OLED but it's the one people would be moving to from their 6,6s and even 7. They haven't seen OLED yet nor used it so it makes more sense for them to move the the Xr.

Personally I'm using a 6s plus, there's no option for me to go android simply because of how involved I already am within the Apple Ecosystem(Computers / watch etc). I see the Xr is a valuable upgrade so is the X from last year but having the newer processor makes a bit more sense and it'll be cheaper than buying a used X with no warranty.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #44
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
It feels like phones are gonna last longer and longer as well.

the last CPU i had lasted 9 years. i did upgrade some parts... twice... but the mobo ram and CPU were 9 years old.

i used to upgrade phones every 2 years, then 3 years... this time it'll prob last me 4 years.

time flies. im getting old.

i just want a better camera than my 6s.... shooting quality in lowlight sucks!
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #45
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,400 Times in 5,672 Posts
I feel the opposite on the Xr, I think promoting a phone as the “inexpensive” option when it’s starting over $1000 CAD is a marketing error.

As a share holder I’m hoping the opposite. But I’m not very happy with this move by Apple and the pricing. I’ve upgraded every “generational” phone since the 3 and I won’t be this time around. 2k is just too much for a facelifted X

Will save up for next year when it will hopefully be a new phone
Old 09-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #46
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Not sure what the last Android phone you used was, but that is simply not true at anything midrange or higher.

The problem with the reputation of Android is that there are so many cheap crappy phones out there, probably like 90% of the (entire mobile phone) market, people think they are all crap. It's just not true.

Also they don't slow down after a year like iPhones. They perform as well as always until the battery completely goes (5-8 years, but by then software will probably drive you to upgrade)
Not really true. Been using my Samsung S8 for almost a year now. Now when I woke up the battery dips around 85%. I usually go to bed around 12am and gets up at 5:30am. Checks the battery usage is usually device idle, call standby and andorid system and Android OS that's draining the battery. The only fix I have is to reset the phone so I lose all the apps I downloaded and everything. After awhile the issue will come back again.

Also when playing music on spofity it will lag for 5 to 7 secs randomly. Sometimes it won't happen at all and others really often. Again the fix is to delete the apps and download it again.

I am also finding the S8 is having issue from time to time to open simple apps and like wechat and what's app where it would freeze for a few seconds and the only way to get around this is close the app and open it again. Again doesn't do it all the time.

Haven't had those issue at all on my iphone (no battery drain issue on my iphone 6s before I sold it last year) and no weird spofity issue on my ipad air.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Not really true. Been using my Samsung S8 for almost a year now. Now when I woke up the battery dips around 85%. I usually go to bed around 12am and gets up at 5:30am. Checks the battery usage is usually device idle, call standby and andorid system and Android OS that's draining the battery. The only fix I have is to reset the phone so I lose all the apps I downloaded and everything. After awhile the issue will come back again.

Also when playing music on spofity it will lag for 5 to 7 secs randomly. Sometimes it won't happen at all and others really often. Again the fix is to delete the apps and download it again.

I am also finding the S8 is having issue from time to time to open simple apps and like wechat and what's app where it would freeze for a few seconds and the only way to get around this is close the app and open it again. Again doesn't do it all the time.

Haven't had those issue at all on my iphone (no battery drain issue on my iphone 6s before I sold it last year) and no weird spofity issue on my ipad air.
I was going to say except for Samsungs, but I forgot

So yeah, except for Samsungs.. don't buy a Samsung
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 AM   #48
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,462 Times in 992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post

What is the appeal of these? I know in the iphone 4 era, they were pretty far ahead of the rest in terms of computing power when it mattered more. Since then, $300 Android phones have surpassed them in terms of usability, function, and quality
i owned an iphone 3g and after that i bought a nexus S. since then i've always stuck to android phones, and lots of them had issues.

-my old samsung galaxy 3 used to get so hot i couldn't even touch it, then the usb port started to go.
-my oneplus one bricked and the USB port was basically unusable unless the plug was inserted carefully at a certain angle.
-my nexus 5x bootlooped, then the refurbished replacement bootlooped again.
-most recently i bought a moto g5 plus, thinking that a budget phone was enough for me these days. it lagged from the day it came out of the box, the camera autofocus is completely useless, even in broad daylight if i take pics of objects nearby, they're blurry. i can live with that stuff but the final straw is that it drops calls frequently. i use my phone for work, last month i logged 1800m, so dropped calls are unacceptable. the phone is only 10 months old, and i bought it when it was first released. moto doesn't want to support it because i bought it off amazon and apparently that's an american model even though i got it from amazon.ca.

i'm not saying apple is without problems, but budget android phones, and for that matter even flagship ones, have more than their fair share of issues as well. i've heard of problems with the 6p (bootloops, battery issues) and more recently major issues w/ the pixel 2 xl screens. if google can't even get the quality control on their flagship devices down, then i have no faith in them.

i'm not done with android, but i don't have brand loyalty so i'm going to give apple another chance after about 8 years of using android.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #49

I don't have brand loyalty either, just preference based on experience. I've never had any of those things happen to me. The only time I buy a new phone is when the old one just can't keep up with newer software. I don't play games, so this doesn't happen often. Last phone I bought was an Xperia X earlier this year, and before that, Nexus 5 (2013). So far I am really digging the Sony phones (and my wife got another Xperia when she upgraded from my old Nexus 4).

So I dunno you got lemons I guess. I'd give Apple phones a try if they weren't retardedly expensive. Like I would feel actually stupid for spending that much on a phone, so I don't know why you would be willing.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #50
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,462 Times in 992 Posts
i wouldn't say i've had all lemons, there have been a fair # of android phones with well documented problems that pretty much made them straight up failed products. the nexus 5x and the note 7 just as two examples, i'm sure there are others. i've never heard of such enormous failures with iphone models yet. i think that's part of what you pay for with apple, is generally better engineering.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote