REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #2951
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As far as exhaust is concerned, the operative word here is "OEM or equivalent" -- it needs to be comparable to the OEM setup, and I would argue that since manufacturers often offer OEM performance exhaust options, aftermarket solutions only need to be comparable to those to meet the "OEM or equivalent" definition.
I suspect the argument would be that it was "equipped with noise enhancing device". Any muffler that is made to be louder than an "OEM or equivalent", by way of removing baffles or otherwise having it designed in a way that would increase the noise(and performance), would be susceptible to a fail on that basis.

A side by side cut-out of an HFP muffler and something truly aftermarket like HKS, Blitz, Tomei, Invidia, etc would be interesting. IIRC 99% of everything I have purchased over the years in terms of mods did have the "for off-road use only" disclosure so I wonder what muffler or exhaust system that is sold, licensed, warrantied, etc by a manufacturer that could be used as an example in favor of our argument.

It sucks that the current climate for licensed inspectors is "I'm just gonna fail anything that isn't stock so I don't catch heat" is only reinforcing the VPD's claims. That, and the apparent Soprano-style mafia visits they have apparently made to certain licensed facilities.
Advertisement
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #2952
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
I suspect the argument would be that it was "equipped with noise enhancing device". Any muffler that is made to be louder than an "OEM or equivalent", by way of removing baffles or otherwise having it designed in a way that would increase the noise(and performance), would be susceptible to a fail on that basis.

A side by side cut-out of an HFP muffler and something truly aftermarket like HKS, Blitz, Tomei, Invidia, etc would be interesting. IIRC 99% of everything I have purchased over the years in terms of mods did have the "for off-road use only" disclosure so I wonder what muffler or exhaust system that is sold, licensed, warrantied, etc by a manufacturer that could be used as an example in favor of our argument.

It sucks that the current climate for licensed inspectors is "I'm just gonna fail anything that isn't stock so I don't catch heat" is only reinforcing the VPD's claims. That, and the apparent Soprano-style mafia visits they have apparently made to certain licensed facilities.
I think you basically nailed it, "noise enhancing device", which lets face it, is precisely what most aftermarket performance exhausts do, by virtue of being less restrictive, and I guess to differentiate from aftermarket OEM type parts, which should perform like stock.
I think the whole point of most of these aftermarket companies stating that their parts are for "off road use" is to avoid liability and litigation for any incidents that potentially link their parts to
accidents , that and these parts are often "illegal" in many jurisdictions. This also would minimize liability for the manufacturer, since you've been warned that said parts are for use only off public roads, it's all on you.
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:53 AM   #2953
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
A long time ago in what now feels like a parallel universe, Vancouver once hosted a race event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJyWKz-44dA

Then people complained and it was over after 14 years. Half of the wins on this circuit were by Lola (RIP).

We went from watching some of the most skilled drivers on this planet to retards on two wheels who can't keep in their own brightly marked, green-as-money lanes.

Times have changed and unfortunately these changes are usually spearheaded by a vocal minority who scream "I'm offended and complaining' which leads to sapping the existence out of something which the vocal majority had enjoyed for years.
This post just caught my eye, cause I remember the Molson Indy clearly. Could you imagine an alcoholic beverage company sponsoring a racing series in Vancouver now? I remember getting general admission tickets just to stand by the fences and watch the cars screaming by, at the end of the day we were speckled with oil, and who knows what else! Ahhh, good times
Can't even imagine the current city council ever approving anything remotely involving cars...unless it's electric.
I think this issue is more than a rogue group of officers with an axe to grind, otherwise this wouldn't be going on as long as it has. I'm sure there's support from the upper brass, and some city councilman and the mayor have their own plans, as the current mayor is a progressive, so in other words " cars bad"
Not sure if there's also some racial undertones?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #2954
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
Racial undertones? Dafuq did you get that idea from
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #2955
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
I tend to agree that there has to be on-going support from the upper brass. The most I can see that can be done is to hold them accountable to stay within the limits of the law, and they have not been doing that consistently. Supposedly there is also lobbying -- but that is a completely foreign concept to me, since I have no idea on how to get a ball rolling in that direction at all. I suspect SVCBC (Specialty Vehicle Association of BC) would be an appropriate venue to look into, but again, I'm all tapped out already as it is.

When I hear the word "progressive", it never fails to amaze me how a lot of times, the very same people who claim to be "progressive" are really rather close-minded when you shift the focus just a little bit.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #2956
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Racial undertones? Dafuq did you get that idea from
I'm just wondering, and not meaning anything untoward, but if there is profiling going on, that would be "interesting". Though I suspect it's mostly based on the car...maybe reading too much into this?
Old 04-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #2957
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
I think so, high profile cars owned by both white and Asian guys have been busted in this... and even some girls if you want to talk about gender lol... I have zero idea where you even got that idea from to the point that I’m not even sure which race you think is being targeted ??
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #2958
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,162 Times in 7,154 Posts
I’m white and early 30s so I find that narrative pretty unlikely, considering the cops doing this are the same or similar demographic.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #2959
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I think so, high profile cars owned by both white and Asian guys have been busted in this... and even some girls if you want to talk about gender lol... I have zero idea where you even got that idea from to the point that I’m not even sure which race you think is being targeted ??
Yah, I'm in agreement, I guess because I'm in the FT86 group, so BRZ/FRS/86, and a lot of the high profile members are Asian, and have been VI'd But then that's just one demographic in one club group. But as with anything else, there's some myopathy when you only look at one car club group, and obviously many others have been effected.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #2960
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

from the Mission Raceway website:

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief, hot rods, custom cars, street racing and drag racing are not recent phenomenons. Back in the late 1940′s and early 50′s Street Rods and Customs were just as popular as they are now and street racing was just as wrong.
In fact street racing was of such great concern to the Vancouver Police Department that they got together with a group of local “Hot Rodder’s” to try and resolve the problem.

As a result, founding member Bob Phinney conceived the idea of a hot rod club. Thanks to Bob, other original members, plus Allan Rossiter and Bernie Smith of the Vancouver Police Department the club became a reality.
Who will rise up and represent us in 2019
moova is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #2961
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moova View Post
from the Mission Raceway website:

Who will rise up and represent us in 2019
Well, there VPD came to part of the public to find out the solution, but when public came to vpd, they showed us middle finger
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #2962
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Speaking of hot rods and customs, I just saw a big group of them cruising down Tyne street. Impala’s, mustangs, hot rods etc. Wonder if they’ll get VI’d
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #2963
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,667 Times in 3,115 Posts
I thought this shit would blow over by now. Nooopppeeee
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:34 AM   #2964
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaygolf View Post
A follow up to my VI on Mar 17. So, brought car as is to Don Docksteader Subaru at Cambie. I live in Richmond, and purchased my car, a 2013 BRZ from Richmond Subaru. As the ticket noted, bring to Subie dealer. Well, Richmond doesn't do VI inspections according to their service counter. Apparently their certification lapsed, or I'm thinking they don't want the hassle of dealing with these issues? I dare say the majority of BRZ, WRX, STi's purchased there end up in someway " modified". That's generally what the buyer's of these types of cars do. Even Subaru intonates this themselves, despite the fact they'll void your warranty if you do bust something "racing" aka autocross or track day. But whatever.
So, the CVSE tech that inspected my car noted a few things. I'm running a EL header, and Invidia Q300 exhaust. A pretty common setup for those that want a sporty exhaust note, a few extra pony's, and a decent looking aftermarket look, not some "brappy" N1 setup, that wakes the dead. The tech did note the exhaust was quite loud on cold starts, but not unreasonable at idle, or even under load, regardless, the exhaust had to go back to OEM. It's no longer just about "loudness". If it's not OEM at the back, it won't pass.
Also I had clear JDM side markers, which are OEM JDM products, I even went to the trouble applying orange amber reflective tape to keep things legit, but nope, no SAE/DOT markings. And perhaps the strangest issue, my license plate lights, I swapped out the OEM yellowish standard bulbs for LED's, which seemed like a good move, brighter, and adds a little flare. hey're white, but according to the tech, "too bluish", what the heck?! There not even "blue", guess a little higher along the color spectrum, so as to not be dingy.
So be it, reverted back to OEM exhaust, thankfully I hung on to that , found my OEM N.A. side markers, and changed the plate bulbs.
My car sits about an inch lower than stock, with sports springs, not any crazy "hellaflush" stuff. The tech was ok with the ride height, which was within acceptable variation, but from a fairly long chat with him, it sounded like any kind of aftermarket coilover would "automatically fail". He also stated that all these aftermarket parts do come with the stipulation that they're for off road, (racing) use anyways...Car went back to dealer after all changed, and passed. The tech was a nice guy and realized the situation. According to the service guys and gals and this tech, they've seen lots of VIs lately. Gotta give a shout out to Docksteader, they at least kept my file open for my follow up inspection, so as not to "double ding" me. So that's it for now, got that ugly looking inspection decal on the corner of my window now. Unbelievable really, all for some pretty pedestrian mods. The war on cars goes on friends!

Hmm. I passed my inspection with coilovers at Don Docksteader. This was early this year, back when Richmond Subaru DID do inspections. They both told me coilovers are passable as long as they are within OEM ride height (or close to it). I'm running ST coils so they are TUV rated, but I don't think they are DOT approved. My plate LEDs are also decently white, and didn't give me any trouble. It all depends on the inspector I guess, even though I feel my inspection was done properly and by the book.
Lancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #2965
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
A follow up to my VI on Mar 17. So, brought car as is to Don Docksteader Subaru at Cambie. I live in Richmond, and purchased my car, a 2013 BRZ from Richmond Subaru. As the ticket noted, bring to Subie dealer. Well, Richmond doesn't do VI inspections according to their service counter. Apparently their certification lapsed, or I'm thinking they don't want the hassle of dealing with these issues? I dare say the majority of BRZ, WRX, STi's purchased there end up in someway " modified". That's generally what the buyer's of these types of cars do. Even Subaru intonates this themselves, despite the fact they'll void your warranty if you do bust something "racing" aka autocross or track day. But whatever.
So, the CVSE tech that inspected my car noted a few things. I'm running a EL header, and Invidia Q300 exhaust. A pretty common setup for those that want a sporty exhaust note, a few extra pony's, and a decent looking aftermarket look, not some "brappy" N1 setup, that wakes the dead. The tech did note the exhaust was quite loud on cold starts, but not unreasonable at idle, or even under load, regardless, the exhaust had to go back to OEM. It's no longer just about "loudness". If it's not OEM at the back, it won't pass.
Also I had clear JDM side markers, which are OEM JDM products, I even went to the trouble applying orange amber reflective tape to keep things legit, but nope, no SAE/DOT markings. And perhaps the strangest issue, my license plate lights, I swapped out the OEM yellowish standard bulbs for LED's, which seemed like a good move, brighter, and adds a little flare. hey're white, but according to the tech, "too bluish", what the heck?! There not even "blue", guess a little higher along the color spectrum, so as to not be dingy.
So be it, reverted back to OEM exhaust, thankfully I hung on to that , found my OEM N.A. side markers, and changed the plate bulbs.
My car sits about an inch lower than stock, with sports springs, not any crazy "hellaflush" stuff. The tech was ok with the ride height, which was within acceptable variation, but from a fairly long chat with him, it sounded like any kind of aftermarket coilover would "automatically fail". He also stated that all these aftermarket parts do come with the stipulation that they're for off road, (racing) use anyways...Car went back to dealer after all changed, and passed. The tech was a nice guy and realized the situation. According to the service guys and gals and this tech, they've seen lots of VIs lately. Gotta give a shout out to Docksteader, they at least kept my file open for my follow up inspection, so as not to "double ding" me. So that's it for now, got that ugly looking inspection decal on the corner of my window now. Unbelievable really, all for some pretty pedestrian mods. The war on cars goes on friends!
I had a different experience at docksteader, and passed with aftermarket parts. I got issued a VI for loud exhaust, no drl, and side reflectors. Of course it doesn't make much of a difference what you get written up for since they do a full inspection anyways.

I had the drl fixed, taped on side reflectors, installed neutral safety switch, threw on the silencer for my exhaust and raised the car up for my first inspection. I ended up failing my first inspection due to my headlights not being DOT approved and my exhaust was too short. So my coilovers, catted downpipe, catback with a silencer put on, and taped on side reflectors were all okay.

I ended buying new headlights and a new catback(aftermarket), but failed again because it was an impreza exhaust and still too short so I had to extend it (thanks mda), also the reflector in my headlight wiggled a little so I had to get a new one.

I passed the third inspection after those 2 issues were taken care of.
LastShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #2966
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Yah, I'm in agreement, I guess because I'm in the FT86 group, so BRZ/FRS/86, and a lot of the high profile members are Asian, and have been VI'd But then that's just one demographic in one club group. But as with anything else, there's some myopathy when you only look at one car club group, and obviously many others have been effected.
Have you ever considered that the Asian members of your club lack tact and class in their modifications?

There's a difference between driving a nicely modded car, and a Gundam.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #2967
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Have you ever considered that the Asian members of your club lack tact and class in their modifications?

So your saying the way Asians modify there cars they are asking for it?
Old 04-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #2968
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
^
Stop trying to twist my words, you snivelling obtuse gas jockey.
I'm saying that maybe those who are being targeted are making themselves a target through extravagant modifications.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #2969
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
^
Stop trying to twist my words, you snivelling obtuse gas jockey.
I'm saying that maybe those who are being targeted are making themselves a target through extravagant modifications.
You mean they some women dress too sexy.

Many of the same cars drove for years without getting a VI.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #2970
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I just about fell out of my chair laughing. That's fuckin great.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #2971
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So your saying the way Asians modify there cars they are asking for it?

G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #2972
I am Hook'd on RS

Thoughts?

https://imgur.com/a/6LxaZqK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 58373750_10157260089014553_4898642322595512320_n.jpg (103.6 KB, 0 views)
SituAsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #2973
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Where is the source of this info? I don't mean the imgur link, but the actual source that produced this.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #2974
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
IMO, a lot of cars getting VI'ed start from the noise first. It's the most noticeable thing that doesn't require a line of sight to detect.

Even lightly modified cars with a loud exhaust will get nabbed. Then it's up to VPD's discretion on what else they want to tack on once you're at the side of the curb, when they have all the time in the day to examine everything up close.

I'm sure there's exceptions, but that's my theory on it for now. Most people's cars are louder than they think once you have an aftermarket exhaust. I'm not disputing what's right or wrong, just simply what gets noticed the most.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 03:31 PM   #2975
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Can't find the article right now, but I believe the specific accident they're referring to was when this girl rear ended a lifted Ram brotruck and her head was essentially at the height of the rear bumper. Dealers always had to adhere by the rules of selling MVA compliant cars as otherwise they'd be off-road use only.
However, I don't believe adding engine mods, beefing up the brakes, or going e85 can cause fatal accidents on it's own and the government shouldn't use the accident as an excuse to outlaw them.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: