REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #2776
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Link doesn't work for me, but I assume it's the blue one that's sticker bombed and has white euro tailights:

If so, I know the owner personally and he knows he had it coming. His car is actually pretty loud and he does occasionally drive like an asshole.

That said, he doesn't have any camber except from stock and the cop told him that his coilovers are illegal LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Permalink to post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/thev...3685730123574/
If you still can't find the group just facebook search "The Valley Car Club (VCC)". And yes that is the car i was referring to which posted on march 24th.
Advertisement
KuroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #2777
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayed View Post
For the lights, you can have aftermarket ones as long as they are DOT approved, correct?
Consider the vehicle doesn't have red reflectors on the back I would say this would be illegal. It's fine to have clear tails like that the Toyota Sienna has them, but they have red reflectors on the bottom of the bumper thus legal they also need red reflectors near the rear of the vehicle that can be seen from the side.

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-27-2019, 08:38 PM   #2778
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

Damn I drove right past as this was happening, just before the Thai Son. I saw the stickers and I had a good feeling it was gonna be a VI. In person the stickers on the rear window seemed much louder than they appear in the picture.
MaceWindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:24 AM   #2779
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

What if you are out of province?
VRYALT3R3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #2780
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So for ride height there is:

Clearance height
7.091 A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Application (excerpt from a different section that talks about special designations for >10cm height change)
25.20 This Part applies to a vehicle that was

(b) altered by changes to its suspension height by more than 10 cm from the original basic specification of the vehicle manufacturer,

Headlamps
4.05(2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.

Is the 1" of clearance statement in the MVA? Or somewhere not accessible on the internet? I can't seem to find it, but Cain writes it on the Notice and Order
Lancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #2781
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,308 Times in 2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancouver View Post
Is the 1" of clearance statement in the MVA? Or somewhere not accessible on the internet? I can't seem to find it, but Cain writes it on the Notice and Order
The 1" clearance requirement comes from the CVSE inspection manual, Section 4, item 2b, but it is only applicable to the front wheels:

Section 4 – Steering:
Item and Method of Inspection:
2) Travel

Turn the steering wheel through a full right and left turn. Manually inspect:
b) clearance

Reject if
b) less than 25 mm (1 in.) between tire and frame, fender or other parts

VPD officers (not sure if Cain or not) have previously been known to apply this rule to the rear wheels, in which case it should be invalid. But just since when can an average citizen win a logically-presented argument with field officers when they have a bone to pick?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #2782
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Consider the vehicle doesn't have red reflectors on the back I would say this would be illegal. It's fine to have clear tails like that the Toyota Sienna has them, but they have red reflectors on the bottom of the bumper thus legal they also need red reflectors near the rear of the vehicle that can be seen from the side.

The Sienna SE tail lights actually have a red reflector on the side of them that you can't see in that picture so it does satisfy all the requirements.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:42 PM   #2783
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D View Post
What if you are out of province?
No care.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #2784
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
The Sienna SE tail lights actually have a red reflector on the side of them that you can't see in that picture so it does satisfy all the requirements.
Right, I was indicating the Golf would not be legal.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #2785
RS Lurker, I don't post!

hi, i drive the golf above that was vi'd on the 24th by christiansen. got me for exhaust, stretched tires, suspension, non oem lights, and windshield tint (banner).

i completely understand the exhaust thing (my car is way too loud), and the windshield tint, but the way he tried to strong arm the fact that coilovers were illegal and that i had visible camber even though my car has factory camber is what made me raise my eyebrows. nothing on my car sits lower than the bottom of the rim, my headlights are more than 56cm off the ground, and my suspension has been altered no more than 4 inches from stock.

his insistence that some of the things on my car, which i know are within legal limits, were very illegal is what makes me feel like he is on a power trip and abusing his power as a traffic cop.

as for passing the vi, i'm going to throw my stock wheels on, put a muffler on, peel all the stickers off and stick a red reflector on the rear bumper somewhere and hopefully get it passed.

marcus915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #2786
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

You'll also need a red reflector on each side of the car near the rear as well to be in compliance. Kind of like how you have the orange one on the side of your front bumper.

Depending on the size of your stock tires and wheels, putting those on actually might make you not pass if the wheel size is smaller. Not sure what size your rims are, but I'm guessing the ones on there now are larger than the stock ones. Putting stock ones may make parts of the car touch the ground if you had no tires on them which would make that a fail.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #2787
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The 1" clearance requirement comes from the CVSE inspection manual, Section 4, item 2b, but it is only applicable to the front wheels:

Section 4 – Steering:
2) Travel

b) clearance

Reject if
Does it specify if that's only for parts that have a varying distance between them and the tire as the tire moves? I'm pretty sure my Jeep has some issues with that right from the factory.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #2788
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Are exhausts with valves that open and close allowed? When valves are open it would be too loud but when valves are closed it is below the legal limit. If that's legal then everyone should just get those.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #2789
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Can someone explain why a window banner is illegal? It really doesn’t block your view...
Old 03-28-2019, 04:52 PM   #2790
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,699 Times in 1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Can someone explain why a window banner is illegal? It really doesn’t block your view...
From MVA, section 7:

You're allowed to "tint" up to 3 inches down from the top:
(8) No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on:
(a) the windshield but not more than 75 mm below the top of the windshield,

It does also say:
Windshield stickers
(2) No person shall drive or operate a vehicle on a highway while his view of the highway or of any intersecting highway is unduly obstructed by any windshield sticker, sign, poster or other thing or material placed over or affixed to the windshield or any window of the vehicle.

I suspect it's a combination of both that can be applied here.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #2791
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Does it specify if that's only for parts that have a varying distance between them and the tire as the tire moves? I'm pretty sure my Jeep has some issues with that right from the factory.
That's what i'm confused about too.

the way i'm reading it, I think it's more specifically when the front wheels are cranked all the way left or right, the part of the tire that sticks out of the fender shouldn't be less than one inch so as to avoid it hitting the fender or frame (on the inside) upon suspension compression. For example lets say you go over a big speed bump with your wheel completely turned to the left, the parts of your front tires sticking out of the fender should have a 1 inch gap so it wont rub on the outer fender or inner frame as you are compressing the springs when going over the bump.....right?

I think that's why that rule also only applies to the front rather than both front and rear.
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #2792
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
You'll also need a red reflector on each side of the car near the rear as well to be in compliance. Kind of like how you have the orange one on the side of your front bumper.

Depending on the size of your stock tires and wheels, putting those on actually might make you not pass if the wheel size is smaller. Not sure what size your rims are, but I'm guessing the ones on there now are larger than the stock ones. Putting stock ones may make parts of the car touch the ground if you had no tires on them which would make that a fail.
you definitely have a point, I learned that (thru smashing my frame rails into the ground) when I put some 16s on with small tires. My stock wheels are 15in but on a 195/55 I think so it'll raise my car a little bit. Good to know about the red reflectors on either side too, thanks!
marcus915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #2793

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
I'd leave the stickers on except for the ones on the lower part of the windshield (v-opt style? ). People may not be a fan of them but the other stickers you have around your car aren't illegal. A cop tried to tell me that any stickers on Windows (even those on the back) warrants a $230 fine. Looked it up, no such law exists. H8rs B H8in

Edit:
MVA 7.05 (8)
No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on

(b) a side window that is behind the driver, or

(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION

Last edited by SpeedStars; 03-28-2019 at 06:59 PM.
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #2794
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post

Section 4 – Steering:
2) Travel

b) clearance

Reject if

VPD officers (not sure if Cain or not) have previously been known to apply this rule to the rear wheels, in which case it should be invalid. But just since when can an average citizen win a logically-presented argument with field officers when they have a bone to pick?
Is there an example of how to do this measurement? Since the tire is round at the edge, where is the A to B point where the 1" is measured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
I'd leave the stickers on except for the ones on the lower part of the windshield (v-opt style? ). People may not be a fan of them but the other stickers you have around your car aren't illegal. A cop tried to tell me that any stickers on Windows (even those on the back) warrants a $230 fine. Looked it up, no such law exists. H8rs B H8in

Edit:
MVA 7.05 (8)
No person shall drive or operate on a highway a motor vehicle which has affixed to or placed on the windshield or a window any material that reduces the light transmitted through the windshield or window unless the material is affixed to or placed on

(c) the rear window if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside rear view mirrors on the left and right side of the motor vehicle

lol, nevermind a few stickers in the back... these vans don't even have windows.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #2795

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus915 View Post
hi, i drive the golf above that was vi'd on the 24th by christiansen. got me for exhaust, stretched tires, suspension, non oem lights, and windshield tint (banner).

i completely understand the exhaust thing (my car is way too loud), and the windshield tint, but the way he tried to strong arm the fact that coilovers were illegal and that i had visible camber even though my car has factory camber is what made me raise my eyebrows. nothing on my car sits lower than the bottom of the rim, my headlights are more than 56cm off the ground, and my suspension has been altered no more than 4 inches from stock.

his insistence that some of the things on my car, which i know are within legal limits, were very illegal is what makes me feel like he is on a power trip and abusing his power as a traffic cop.

as for passing the vi, i'm going to throw my stock wheels on, put a muffler on, peel all the stickers off and stick a red reflector on the rear bumper somewhere and hopefully get it passed.
What part of the regulations say 4 inches is acceptable?
SSM_DC5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:38 PM   #2796

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post

Edit:
MVA 7.05 (8)

Sad that we're back to talking about this again. Feels like 10 years ago people were talking about the legality of tint on side windows. You can basically have 0% rear tint (solid) and it would be legal as long as you have two working side mirrors.

We've done countless hours of research on this forum for years, we know the MVA better than these cops. They're just using it as intimidation tactics.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #2797
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 View Post
What part of the regulations say 4 inches is acceptable?
there was mention of 10cm though i'm wondering < or >

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #2798
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

People Who right this should burn in hell..

So technically, if you do not have any side reflectors, you do need to install them, unless you vehicle 2.05 m wide, but if you have them, they must be yellow front and rear red.

I even put side markers on toyota chaser, when this mess started, technically - not required. According to MVA, but look like CVSA asks for it

Quote:
4.21(1) A vehicle must be equipped with at least one red reflector at the rear of the vehicle, either separate or incorporated into a tail lamp, that is mounted at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle manufactured before January 1, 1958.

(3) Only amber reflectors may be mounted on the front or side of a vehicle.

(4) Only red reflectors may be mounted on the rear of a vehicle or on the side of the vehicle at or toward the rear of the vehicle.

(5) A vehicle with an overall width of 2.05 m or more, or a trailer or semitrailer having a gross weight in excess of 1 400 kg, must be equipped with at least

(a) 2 amber reflectors mounted on the side of the vehicle, trailer or semitrailer near the front,

(b) 2 amber reflectors mounted on the side of the vehicle, trailer or semitrailer near the rear, and

(c) 2 red reflectors mounted on the rear of the vehicle, trailer or semitrailer.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 413/99.]

Last edited by nexusxv; 03-28-2019 at 11:05 PM.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:43 AM   #2799
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
5 is saying if the vehicle meets or exceeds a width of 2.05m or is a trailer with a GW of >1400kg then a/b/c apply.

otherwise only 1-4 apply.

is how i read it.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:47 AM   #2800
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
5 is saying if the vehicle meets or exceeds a width of 2.05m or is a trailer with a GW of >1400kg then a/b/c apply.

otherwise only 1-4 apply.

is how i read it.
Yes, and 1-4 does not mandate the side reflectors, only regulates the color of them
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote